In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, that's pretty much what I was getting at. It's possible (I wouldn't say "probable," but maybe 40/60) they do get rid of it, I just hope they consider all the angles.

I guess you can say that isometric view was somewhat integrated into later games in a form of the camera distancing itself from Geralt's back in combat to give you a better overview of battlefield, since in The Witcher 1 isometric view was better for combat, while TPP for exploration, so they wanted to keep it in some form. It's possible they might implement similar integration regarding FPP and TPP perspective, so instead of switching freely between the two, it will change automatically depending on the context, for example when you use guns you get FPP view, but when you use melee weapons then it changes to TPP. At this point I think this is the most likely way they are going to do it.

I guess you can say that isometric view was somewhat integrated into later games in a form of the camera distancing itself from Geralt's back in combat to give you a better overview of battlefield, since in The Witcher 1 isometric view was better for combat, while TPP for exploration, so they wanted to keep it in some form. It's possible they might implement similar integration regarding FPP and TPP perspective, so instead of switching freely between the two, it will change automatically depending on the context, for example when you use guns you get FPP view, but when you use melee weapons then it changes to TPP. At this point I think this is the most likely way they are going to do it.
That actually makes sense. This is how Bloodlines did it.

Somebody already said this but I'll say it again. what's the point of character customization if u can't see ur character? To me when I play an fps I do feel the kind of immersion that some of you have mentioned but I tend to forget that I'm playing with a badass character and hence I don't pay much attention to their own story.

There's no guarantee that the game's shooting elements will make it too shooter-y though. I'm pretty sure CDPR doesn't want that, but it's somewhat hard to imagine other options. There's obviously MMO style combat, and things like what KOTOR/Dragon Age had, but that's pretty unappealing in my opinion as well.

I think something like what Mass Effect had would be ideal, but with the action elements toned down a bit. I really liked the ability to pause combat and use the ability wheel, and control party movements in that game. I'm sure the psychological nature of some of the tech in the game could really aid in making it possible to create something kind of unique.

I don't see why one has to be prioritized over the other. Fallout 4 didn't suffer because they favored one over the other. It suffered because they didn't put the care into the game like CDPR would do. I personally would prefer 1st person view because I can get more immersed by it, especially since it'll be a shooter. Being able to magically see around corners without exposing yourself is silly and I honestly hate it even if it gives me an advantage. I want to feel like I'm in the fight, so I want to win it fairly... But that's just me. I'm sure if CDPR is planning on allowing both that they will simply make both absolutely perfect...

I don't see why one has to be prioritized over the other. Fallout 4 didn't suffer because they favored one over the other. It suffered because they didn't put the care into the game like CDPR would do. I personally would prefer 1st person view because I can get more immersed by it, especially since it'll be a shooter. Being able to magically see around corners without exposing yourself is silly and I honestly hate it even if it gives me an advantage. I want to feel like I'm in the fight, so I want to win it fairly... But that's just me. I'm sure if CDPR is planning on allowing both that they will simply make both absolutely perfect...
Not a shooter, an RPG.

Not a shooter, an RPG.

They kind of describe different things though. It's a RPG that's also a shooter, or a shooter that's also a RPG. One describes its approach to the character, meaning the story is something you make, as in you're taking on the role. The other is the fact that the action elements of the game involves shooting instead of like hack and slash like a certain other game of their's, lol.

They kind of describe different things though. It's a RPG that's also a shooter, or a shooter that's also a RPG. One describes its approach to the character, meaning the story is something you make, as in you're taking on the role. The other is the fact that the action elements of the game involves shooting instead of like hack and slash like a certain other game of their's, lol.

I was just informing you that it wasn't a shooter. As in, it's not GTA. I'm not saying they can't/won't share similarities, but we've gotten a lot of people on the forums who aren't aware of what the game is and think it's just GTA: Cyberpunk. I'm just trying to clarify for people who are new, or maybe don't know what the difference is.

For me, there are some situations where first person is preferable, and some situations where third person is preferable. I usually prefer first person overall, but I like being able to switch to third person when necessary for melee combat or just for an occasional 'vanity camera' to view my character, especially when you can change appearance/clothing. With first person, I like being able to tilt the camera down and see my character's body - that's one area *many* games lack in first person mode.

With first person, I like being able to tilt the camera down and see my character's body - that's one area *many* games lack in first person mode.

Yeah, that's one thing I also dislike in first person.
Please don't make my body magically disappear in first person; I don't want to be a floating camera. :p

I prefer FPP, because it is way more immersive, but I do like to look at my character once in a while, or when I am doing melee combat, besides those, I just want FPP. Pretty sure we will have both, if you watch the video where the lady with no mouth is putting on eye liner, I think that is the player character and right at the beginning you are looking at her mirror screen in first person, before it switches to 3rd.

I prefer FPP, because it is way more immersive, but I do like to look at my character once in a while, or when I am doing melee combat, besides those, I just want FPP. Pretty sure we will have both, if you watch the video where the lady with no mouth is putting on eye liner, I think that is the player character and right at the beginning you are looking at her mirror screen in first person, before it switches to 3rd.
Sorry, but that actually wasn't what that showed. The beginning of that, her own head was blocking the part of the reflection that would have showed her without the bottom portion of her face. So it was still in 3rd person there. The second part was simply from a different angle to reveal her prosthesis.

Sorry, but that actually wasn't what that showed. The beginning of that, her own head was blocking the part of the reflection that would have showed her without the bottom portion of her face. So it was still in 3rd person there. The second part was simply from a different angle to reveal her prosthesis.

Watched it again and paused it. Your right, it is over her shoulder. I still think we will get FPP since they said it way back in the cyberpunk road map that it will have both FPP and 3rd.

Watched it again and paused it. Your right, it is over her shoulder. I still think we will get FPP since they said it way back in the cyberpunk road map that it will have both FPP and 3rd.
Yep, the shoulder was in the way, not her head, my mistake, but I remembered it was part of her that blocked the view.

But yes, I think it was already confirmed before that it will have first person perspective. But I'm pretty sure that there will also be a 3rd person option, and even in 1st person view during dialog and cut scenes it will go to 3rd...

They said mixed TPP/FPP, not that we'd be able to switch at will.

None of us actually know for sure what the perspective will be. Presumably, we'll find out in two days.

cut scenes it will go to 3rd...

This is why I do not like cutscenes, it breaks immersion. It also often forces my character to break the style of gameplay I am playing, to do something usually stupid. I am having flashbacks of the deus ex:HR were I played the whole game stealth and then during boss scenes my character would walk in and announce his presence like an idiot. I understand the reason, it is to make the game "cinematic", but sometimes I want to just to experience the world without breaking immersion. Skyrim did this pretty good, just have characters talk to you naturally without ripping control away from you. Still, it is a minor thing I can live with.

One thing I noticed, at 0:43 on the pool table. I think that is a chip the player is using to see the possible outcome of the pool game. Can't wait to see what cool abilities we will get.

This is why I do not like cutscenes, it breaks immersion. It also often forces my character to break the style of gameplay I am playing, to do something usually stupid. I am having flashbacks of the deus ex:HR were I played the whole game stealth and then during boss scenes my character would walk in and announce his presence like an idiot. I understand the reason, it is to make the game "cinematic", but sometimes I want to just to experience the world without breaking immersion. Skyrim did this pretty good, just have characters talk to you naturally without ripping control away from you. Still, it is a minor thing I can live with.

One thing I noticed, at 0:43 on the pool table. I think that is a chip the player is using to see the possible outcome of the pool game. Can't wait to see what cool abilities we will get.
You're right about cutscenes, but CD Projekt Red did an amazing job with them in The Witcher 3, so don't see why it won't be the case for this game.

Given the importance of our created characters, it'd be a shame to focus too heavily on 1st person. In a perfect world we'd get both in a way that feels seamless (not like the Fallout 4s of the world that were clearly geared towards one), but if we have to choose I've got a heavy preference for 3rd person in a world-building game like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom