In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
atomowyturysta;n10850071 said:
How could I know that making fun of guys who don't wan't anyone to have TPP in the game make them write elaborated essays why being a walking TV with 90 degree vision impairment is better than seeing your badass character... :D

Everybody has reasons for their preferences. The whole point of a forum is to explain them. I don't care for the idea of FPP-only gameplay in 2077, but I respect people's reasoning at least.

atomowyturysta;n10850071 said:
How could I know that making fun of guys who don't wan't anyone to have TPP in the game make them write elaborated essays why being a walking TV with 90 degree vision impairment is better than seeing your badass character... :D

I'm so sorry I dared to share my opinion on public forum dedicated to the game regarding something that I think can impact gameplay in a pretty significant manner, one way or another. Next time when the subject will come up I remember to simply say "I like TPP, cause it looks pretty, lol" with a sense of smug euperiority over those dirty first person peasants.

And it's not like I have anything against TPP, I simply think first person would work better for Cyberpunk and that's it.

kofeiiniturpa;n10845971 said:
First person sex scenes? Bet there are people who'd like that when the character gives or recieves a rimjob. Yeugh.

Wait for mods. :D

We are here yes! What where what?!

Shavod;n10850691 said:
I'm so sorry I dared to share my opinion on public forum dedicated to the game regarding something that I think can impact gameplay in a pretty significant manner, one way or another. Next time when the subject will come up I remember to simply say "I like TPP, cause it looks pretty, lol" with a sense of smug euperiority over those dirty first person peasants.

Let's examine why this statement, in response to a frankly silly tease about being a walking TV, is a little over the top.

It's not constructive, it's not friendly, it's not funny and it doesn't accomplish anything useful. It is defensive, a little angry and resentful. Although @atomowyturysta could have been more diplomatic, he was mostly teasing in a light-hearted way from his own (obviously erroneous) taste in viewpoints.

So in the future, how about we all remember that other people are on the end of what you are writing and maintain a friendly, light-hearted approach to communication.

On the subject at hand:

First Person rules for I-am-really-there immersive RPGs because Bloodlines and (not really RPGs) Deus Ex and Stalker. So nyah. Stalker wins all.

If you want to see how much of a badass you are (vain!) look in a mirror or, or the reflection in the mirrored chrome cyebereyes of your latest victim...that's what I do.

Sardukhar;n10851131 said:
First Person rules for I-am-really-there immersive RPGs because Bloodlines and (not really RPGs) Deus Ex and Stalker. So nyah. Stalker wins all.

If you want to see how much of a badass you are (vain!) look in a mirror or, or the reflection in the mirrored chrome cyebereyes of your latest victim...that's what I do.

Yeah. I actually find it more immersive to play in third person and being forced into first person view would probably hinder the experience for me. Specifically in 2077's case, since there's going to be more verticality and the like. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, for example, I didn't mind the forced FPP at all.

Plus, y'know, customization. If they didn't make such a big deal about it I probably wouldn't care as much, but I want to actually see my character outside of static inventory displays and mirrors. It's great that so many people are satisfied with just knowing they have whatever outfit they like on, but some of us actually want to see it.

I'm a really huge fan of well-done third person animations. Cloth physics, jogging and fighting and shooting animations, that's all stuff I want to see whenever I please, not just when I happen to be near a puddle or a mirror. CDPR has already said they're striving for animation excellency in that one government grant.

Doesn't necessarily mean third person animations (a LOT of stuff in 2077 is going to be animated, I'm sure) but I don't know why you'd put a ton of effort into full-body animations for first person view if nobody is every going to see their characters outside of their arms/hands and maybe their feet/legs.

I actually think it's a little bit silly to say "well if you want TPP, you can just look at a puddle or mirror" because that's not the same thing at all. Not even close. That'd be like me telling you to force your camera into a wall so it pushes past your character's body to play in first person.

Last edited:
Let's examine why this statement, in response to a frankly silly tease about being a walking TV, is a little over the top.
It's not constructive, it's not friendly, it's not funny and it doesn't accomplish anything useful. It is defensive, a little angry and resentful. Although atomowyturysta could have been more diplomatic, he was mostly teasing in a light-hearted way from his own (obviously erroneous) taste in viewpoints.
So in the future, how about we all remember that other people are on the end of what you are writing and maintain a friendly, light-hearted approach to communication.

But you're right, I was little carried away.

Snowflakez;n10851431 said:
I actually think it's a little bit silly to say "well if you want TPP, you can just look at a puddle or mirror" because that's not the same thing at all. Not even close. That'd be like me telling you to force your camera into a wall so it pushes past your character's body to play in first person.

Just to not misrepresent my statement, I was talking in regard to seeing your character, not TPP itself. On top of that I also talked about inventory/character screen, dialogues and cutscenes.

Last edited:
Shavod;n10851801 said:

But you're right, I was little carried away.

Just to not misrepresent my statement, I was talking in regard to seeing your character, not TPP itself. On top of that I also talked about inventory/character screen, dialogues and cutscenes.

Yeah, I know. Seeing your character, to me, is 70% of the appeal of TPP, though. So, it's not really enough to just see my character in the occasional puddle or mirror, or even the inventory screen. Again, CDPR has some pretty talented animators on board, and I'd love to see what they do with TPP, how they differentiate between the genders, what the attack animations look like, etc.

Shavod;n10851801 said:

Oh I know and I could have PMed you - but when I say something like that, other people who are thinking of maybe over-reacting..don't. Hopefully. For now.

OH YAY FOR BUSY FUTURE FORUMS. UGH.

Full points for the Sandler video. If only he was as funny as yesteryear...

Third person all the way. I live in first-person perspective EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE. I can't get into a game where i can only see my hands. I'd probably commit suicide if the only thing I could see were my hands...I just like the rest of me too much to deny looking at just my hands.

That being said, anytime you need to use a scope of any kind, it's better in FPP. Not just once or twice, but in several of my favorite TPP games, aiming downsight just isn't good, especially if the enemy/objective is really freaking close. But still going TPP all the way

Deraj-Mohah;n10858691 said:
I can't get into a game where i can only see my hands. I'd probably commit suicide if the only thing I could see were my hands...I just like the rest of me too much to deny looking at just my hands.

There are first person games like Dying Light where you can see your character's body if you look down, and they were able to implement this in a way that the controls are still good and responsive. If CDPR planned to include both FPP and TPP in Cyberpunk, I think they would also want something similar, not just a hand with a gun.

It's not constructive, it's not friendly, it's not funny and it doesn't accomplish anything useful. It is defensive, a little angry and resentful. Although @atomowyturysta could have been more diplomatic, he was mostly teasing in a light-hearted way from his own (obviously erroneous) taste in viewpoints.

On the subject at hand:

Yeah... I was teasing :) There was a heated discussion a long time ago about the viewpoint. basically "TPP BAD, TPP/FPP BAD only FPP", that's why I sometimes tend to tease that :)
A hope for TPP/FPP approach with free viewpoint change. It could be done and it could be done well. If the game ends up purely FPP I'll be slightly dissapointed, if it ends up purely TPP I will understand somebody else's disappoitment. I just can't understand why not accept both and use the one preferred? :)

And I stand behind my "Walking TV statement" :)

Another 5 cents.
The way your character walks, shoots, fights is a bigger part of the immerssion than just seeing through their (impaired) eyes. Imagine new Tomb Rider games as FPP. They would suck :) Game is also an interactive movie, cRPG should be an interactive movie about your character. If you only see them in a mirror it's not immeriaon, it's just lazy game dev :) Yes, if CDPR makes CP2077 exclusively TPP (although that is the only way I'll play if given a chance) or exclusively FPP I'll call them LAZY :)

Well while i do strongly prefer TPP over FPP (and FPP makes the least point of view from company standpoint- its very rare for company to switch perspective from game to game) i would probably still take FPP over both options being available, The problem is if you provide both, it is a compromise, FPP and TPP are not as good as they could be if you focus one just one. I don't recall game that had both of them on decent level. Usually you end up with extremely simplistic gameplay

Tarathelion;n10866251 said:
I don't recall game that had both of them on decent level
I think GTA V is the most relevant example. They managed and on top of that, they did it extremely well.
On the other hand though, it's Rockstar - a studio with about 1000 people working on their games and infinite budget. These aren't resources CDPR can count on.

atomowyturysta;n10866071 said:
Another 5 cents.
The way your character walks, shoots, fights is a bigger part of the immerssion than just seeing through their (impaired) eyes. Imagine new Tomb Rider games as FPP. They would suck :) Game is also an interactive movie, cRPG should be an interactive movie about your character. If you only see them in a mirror it's not immeriaon, it's just lazy game dev :) Yes, if CDPR makes CP2077 exclusively TPP (although that is the only way I'll play if given a chance) or exclusively FPP I'll call them LAZY :)

It goes both ways, and really depends on situation.
Imagine an encounter hidden just around the corner, like say a hostage situation...now in third person view, You would see it well ahead of your Character, which ruins suspense, element of surprise. Same goes with stealth. With exploration I would leave it either way. When you need to pay close attention to details in environment ( and that type of storytelling), First person is a must ( Bioshock would be unplayable otherwise). And some activities, like driving a (flying) car. And more dramatic, personal experience ( horror games).
For melee, games emphasizing mobility, and with a ton of animation variety ( and rpgs if they change that of your character), customization: Third person. Parkour works better in First person though ( Mirror's Edge, Dying Light).
How they'll handle dialogue/camera, now that's the the real question.

Last edited:
RUMOR: CP2077 a FPS

CD Projekt Red has been making games for sixteen years now and there are three Witcher RPGs in their portfolio (excluding Gwent for the moment, since it’s a card game), in which we always watched our protagonist from the third person perspective. That’s why we could safely assume that the Warsaw-based studio will keep that feature in their upcoming title, Cyberpunk 2077. As we unofficialy found out, this time the thing will be completely different and the game will actually be a FPP game with elements characteristic for role-playing games.

If the abovementioned information turns out to be true, we’re in for a serious treat. Cyberpunk 2077 in a first-perspon perspective would be a direct competition to games like System Shock , Prey, and most of all – Deus Ex that always bathed deeply in cyberpunk. Looking back at CD Projekt Red’s gamedev achievements, we don’t suspect the game to be a regular shooter, but rather an action game full of RPG elements that will offer the players many ways of solving problems; basically, it should be closer to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided than BioShock .

Our source also confirmed that both CD Projekt studios – based in Warsaw and Cracow – are hard at work, with the latter currently focusing on a fragment of the game, the action of which will take place on the Moon . The game is supposed to be fast-paced, and one of the features that the studio is working on is wall-running, similar to the one we already saw in Titanfall games.

https://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1758

if true its awful. i dont want another bioshock/prey fps. I would have preferred a 3rd person game closer to GTA: Neo Tokyo.

https://youtu.be/ssrWz4kF_KQ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom