In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
animalfather;n10867771 said:
If true does any physicial features even matter? like the color of your hair gender the clothes you wear?

If the game and NPC’s can be interacted and influenced with them, the player has no concrete need to witness the character outside some specific character/inventory screen and reflective surfaces (there might be desire to see the PC, and that’s OK, but there’s no real need - just as there’s no real need to even mold the characters visuals - not even gender, it could well be either/or and never specified - if they serve no gameplay purpose, even if the desire is there).

Ch1nz;n10867761 said:
If you want to make a 1st person game believable you need to have mechanics like in TES where you can interact with almost anything in the worldspace to some degree.
Not really.
It helps, a LOT, but it's hardly necessary.

Being able to interact with the worldspace is primarily an RPG activity, you want the player able to exert their influence on the world they're occupying in ways other then leaving a trail of corpses. For the most part FPP games are either "detective" games where you need to interact with the worldspace to find whatever item/clue you need to continue the game, "builders" where you need to gather and craft stuff, or "shooters" where the worldspace is generally cover or possibly destructible. Being able to interact with the worldspace isn't necessary (or precluded because it's TPP) because a game is FPP, it's necessary because of how the games intended to be played in terms of it's mechanics.

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n10867911 said:
Well, of course - but probably only mildly. If it IS true, they can't exactly change it now ( or can they...maybe we are years away still!). If it's not true ( I would bet this is the case) then it's Just Another Rumour.

I for one hope you're right that it's just a rumor from a bad source, and we can just toss it out with the trash.

But if it is true and they are getting overwhelmingly bad feedback from the gaming community about it, they better darn well consider changing it or they risk having a negative launch to a new franchise that the CEO has said they want to be the "new Witcher 3" and a "blockbuster franchise".

Lets stick to the facts. the game had a skeleton crew working on it for about 3years. new director comes in trashes everything and starts anew in 2016.
If the game is expected to be out in 2019 they're not going to have enough time to create this big lavish world like in Witcher 3. So it makes sense for them to go FPS corridor shooter. its unfortunate but the finances have to make sense.

kofeiiniturpa;n10867921 said:
If the game and NPC’s can be interacted and influenced with them, the player has no concrete need to witness the character outside some specific character/inventory screen and reflective surfaces (there might be desire to see the PC, and that’s OK, but there’s no real need - just as there’s no real need to even mold the characters visuals - not even gender, it could well be either/or and never specified - if they serve no gameplay purpose, even if the desire is there).

well it should matter in an RPG???!!!!

Last edited:
animalfather;n10867771 said:
If true does any physicial features even matter? like the color of your hair gender the clothes you wear? remember the rumor that the game would have a fixed character well this kinda confirms it.
also FPS games usually have a silent protagonist as well =(

Yep. If we're stuck in First Person view your character appearence will only matter during cutscenes. This is unlikely to me to happen.

You know what is more likely? CDPR creating rumors to generate people's interest over Cyberpunk 2077, and a few days later debunking said rumors by saying "our game will be a RPG" and then all gaming sites will feature their response. This is likely since that's exactly what they have done during EA's loot boxes scandal:
  1. A few days after EA's scandal over microtransactions CDPR said ambiguously that CP2077 would be a "gaming as a service"
  2. After that, the communities and the news starting spreading the rumors about CP2077 having microtransactions (we're in this stage right now)
  3. CDPR debunks the rumors by saying they "leave greed to others" and that CP2077 will be "no bullshit" and then the polish company gets free PR

In the next few days CDPR will do the same thing. They will debunk the rumors about the game being a FPS. Free PR by making controversial rumors about your product is genius, really.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10868001 said:
In the next few days CDPR will do the same thing. They will debunk the rumors about the game being a FPS. Free PR by making controversial rumors about your product is genius, really.

lets hope its true. but one thing that is 100% true is that this is a controlled leak. there is no ifs ands or buts about it. they are definitely testing the waters here.

animalfather;n10868021 said:
lets hope its true. but one thing that is 100% true is that this is a controlled leak. there is no ifs ands or buts about it. they are definitely testing the waters here.

A certain guy won a presidential election by using that strategy. Guess what? Marcin Iwinski talks about it here:

"And that's what I read. I'm glad it provoked a heated debate. When people talk about things, that's good."

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...boss-we-had-no-clue-how-to-make-games-w472316

animalfather;n10867961 said:
Lets stick to the facts. the game had a skeleton crew working on it for about 3years. new director comes in trashes everything and starts anew in 2016.
If the game is expected to be out in 2019 they're not going to have enough time to create this big lavish world like in Witcher 3. So it makes sense for them to go FPS corridor shooter. its unfortunate but the finances have to make sense.
Not at all.
Pre-production concept testing and writing are something most games can benefit greatly from.
A small team trying ideas for game mechanics and a couple writers creating a good story-line mean that when you go into full scale production everyone knows what's needed instead of the usual fumble-farting around with "what if" we see in 90% of game development.

And don't forget, the number of people working on CP2077 is significantly greater then what worked on Witcher, they can get a lot more done in a lot less time.

animalfather;n10868021 said:

Oh? Do you have a source to this info? I'm genuinely curious where you got this info from.

kofeiiniturpa;n10868031 said:
Yes it should, but the player has no specific need to see it other than vanity.

Except that vanity, style and the way you dress is one of the most important things in Cyberpunk 2020, so yeah players should be able to see themselves in Cyberpunk 2077, at least when not shooting or aiming.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10868131 said:
Except that vanity, style and the way you dress is one of the most important things in Cyberpunk 2020, so yeah players should be able to see themselves in Cyberpunk 2077, at least when not shooting or aiming.
Exactly.
Cyberpunk is all about "Style over Substance" after all.

Smart players do both !

Did you even read Cyberpunk 2020. How you character looks like is essential. It's all about style over substance.

I respect this utilitarian viewpoint but I completely disagree with it.

Gameplay is not just a set of mechanics, it's the entire experience. It's the immersion, it's the feel of the game's systems intertwining and meshing together. In an RPG, the actual role playing part is very important to me - knowing what your character looks like, being able to customize your character, those are cornerstones of many RPGs (Not every, but many), old and new, tabletop and video game. If every character in an RPG referred to you as "you" and "they," that'd get old pretty fast.

If every game was designed around this 100% function over form viewpoint, I wouldn't play many video games at all.

For me, if I'm playing an RPG without a fixed protagonist, I need to get into their shoes. I'm not going to do that if their gender and appearance is unspecified, if I don't know what my customizations even look like.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10868131 said:

The player can’t see their character in 2020. Style is a mechanical concept there. It’s of no use to the game that you stare at your character.

You can want to, and you can be shown, no problem, but as far as the game goes, you have no need to.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10868171 said:
Did you even read Cyberpunk 2020. How you character looks like is essential. It's all about style over substance.

Oh, and this. Not sure how I could have forgotten about that.

Snowflakez;n10868231 said:
Oh, and this. Not sure how I could have forgotten about that.

Welllllllllll....sort of.

It's how others SEE YOU.

As Kofe correctly points out, in the PnP, you don't see your character. Maaaaaybe if you're lucky, a half-assed drawing a friend did for you or something you pulled out of a movie or magazine. That's it. There is no TPP.

And the PnP is great! It's lots of fun! It inspired the CRPG! So no, you may like TPP, but it is in no way essential to a RPG or CRPG.

That said, sure, seeing your character is a cool thing that CRPGs can do.

But Style Over Substance isn't about how -you- the PC staring at yourself, it's about how you use how you look to manipulate the world setting.

It's less vanity and more strategy. It's about survival.

Oh and also remember, after Style Over Substance rule ( more than slightly apocryphal, since trying that in the world setting will get you zipped up right quick),

is the last rule:

Break The Rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom