In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benn8204;n10871041 said:
1st. It's a CYBER PUNK THEME ! ... there's bound to be a lot of player appearance customization. If it FPS ... what's the point of customization ?

I would expect plenty of high quality cinematic dialogue where we could see our customized characters and their outfits.

If the rumors are true, this game is DOA. no one wants FPS RPG, no point in customization if you can only view it in cutscenes, that is beyond the dumbest thing i heard of, it is the biggest complaint about Far Cry 5. It seems almost every RPG or RPG oriented game is coming out in FPS like its a the new fad, so annoying. i couldn't finish Kingdom Come Deliverance because its FPS, it got so annoying, I refuse to buy Far Cry 5 because its FPS. I thought this might be the game too break the FPS trend of late, but looks CDPK is following the sheep instead of being the sheep hearder. Its said because if this game is only in FPS it will probably destroy CDPK no one will buy it. I guess thank god for God of War but its way to short of a game and not a RPG.

feckyer1ife;n10871901 said:
If the rumors are true, this game is DOA. no one wants FPS RPG, no point in customization if you can only view it in cutscenes, that is beyond the dumbest thing i heard of, it is the biggest complaint about Far Cry 5. It seems almost every RPG or RPG oriented game is coming out in FPS like its a the new fad, so annoying. i couldn't finish Kingdom Come Deliverance because its FPS, it got so annoying, I refuse to buy Far Cry 5 because its FPS. I thought this might be the game too break the FPS trend of late, but looks CDPK is following the sheep instead of being the sheep hearder. Its said because if this game is only in FPS it will probably destroy CDPK no one will buy it. I guess thank god for God of War but its way to short of a game and not a RPG.

Wow, who would have thunk that the fifth game of the popular FPS franchise will be <gasp> an FPS. And of course God of War is in no way a fad in any form, it doesn't share any similarities with other SONY exlusives or in terms of storytelling with some other popular games. Nope, not at all.

At this point I'm pretty sure that making an FPP RPG, seeing how rare they are, would be actually going against the crowd, but that's just my opinion.

VTMB,Deus Ex, New Vegas, Dark Messiah, Kingdom Come Deliverance, etc

There's a long history of first person RPGs. This is why I had an issue with the way the article worded it's contents. It made it sound like "Oh, CP2077 Is going to be like Call of Duty now!" This won't be the case.

Meccanical;n10872901 said:

There's a long history of first person RPGs. This is why I had an issue with the way the article worded it's contents. It made it sound like "Oh, CP2077 Is going to be like Call of Duty now!" This won't be the case.

The article has already been debunked by a couple fellas with a much better leak track record than GamePressure.

Also, companies frequently leak false information to generate discussion and gauge community sentiment about stuff. Happens all the time with tech companies, and it's free positive PR if they can come out and say "No, this is wrong, we would never do this because we respect our customers privacy" or what have you.

So it's kind of a moot point anyway.

But, yes, I agree completely that first person RPGs can work, and they can work well. I've played and enjoyed the games you mention, particularly the last 3. But as I've said in a few other threads, FPP exclusivity tends to make me a little queasy, so I have to take frequent breaks every ~50 minutes or so. With a game that has optional TPP, I can just swap perspectives for a bit and keep on truckin'. I'd rather the game just give us the choice.

Meccanical;n10872901 said:

I personally like both perspectives for different reasons. Generally FPP works better in very atmospheric games for me. Metro series for example, not RPG, but i cant imagine this game being TPP, same with Stalker and many other great games. But yeah Cyberpunk probably will be very long game so it would benefit from both perspectives for many reasons, variety for example if u got bored with one perspective u can change it. Only TPP would be a little bit disappointing for me also.

Explore the world in third person perspective but combat drops you to a first person perspective in old school 3 second tactical combat rounds. Please roll for initiative

Before we go nuts and all we should remember that all those articles are written by people who are not really gamers, they don't really know FPS from FPP from RPG, they write articles, yes, but how they do it suggest they don't play or understand games at all. Second, they have no idea what cyberpunk is nd seem to just discovered the CP2077 title and found out it's going to be big. So they try to find a "source". I met about a dozen "sources" claiming unconceivable things about that game and CDPR and guess what? None of them even worked in CDPR nor the gaming industry. So we should keep calm.

So many doomsayers.

The game is not going to die if its exclusively one viewpoint or another. I promise.

Some of us just won't buy it on release, is all.

It's important to recognize that personal frustrations (which seem to be based on conflicted or outright false information) do not reflect the feelings of CDPR's entire customer base. I'm not going to wish fire and fury upon the devs because they made a creative decision I disagree with...

3rd Person.
1st Person view could not exist, if you ask me, but I feel for other people so let 1st Personers have their treat as well.
I can't understand the "Immersion" argument when it comes to 1st Person. You have zero body awareness, you have restricted, 60 degree view, when shit hits the fan you don't know who is shooting, from where etc (unless you're at lest proficient FPS player), melee in FP is a nightmare. You're just floating TV - there's no YOU, just the restricted view. And also animations built over FP are used by NPC, and they are hilarious (Ever seen a prone character trying to shoot up? :) ), and as RPG game in a world where image and style is a thing, not seeing your character in action is just plain ridiculous.
That's why CDPR should do TPP and then work on FPP over that. In that case it is just putting mentioned TV in the character head. With great TPP there will be great FPP. games always have crappy FPP because they start design from FPP. The wrong place. The easy place.
As for TPP in shooters. I played Ghost Recon Wildlands and I find the mechanics satisfactory. Good animations, cool, operator style movement, while prone, the character does not awkwardly "stands" up but rolls on their back, as in real life. THAT IS A FUCKING IMMERSION, not the restricted, unnatural, horse view of FPP.
That's why TPP is superior. (not perfect though) and mentioning bullshit like Occulus is a, well, bullshit. Game should not need 3rd party equipment that may or may not work for you. That's why game should have both perspectives. TPP and FPP. And don't go "TPP should be very good" etc, It WILL be good. That's solid AAA title by solid studio. Bethsheda makes AAA games, but they are not solid games and they are by no means a solid studio, they are one of the crappiest studios ever if a casual moddr can make grophic and mechanics mods of the quality and polish unseen in their games even after ten years.

Snowflakez;n10873291 said:
So many doomsayers.

The game is not going to die if its exclusively one viewpoint or another. I promise.

Some of us just won't buy it on release, is all.

It's important to recognize that personal frustrations (which seem to be based on conflicted or outright false information) do not reflect the feelings of CDPR's entire customer base. I'm not going to wish fire and fury upon the devs because they made a creative decision I disagree with...

Actuall, the FPP exclusive game would be an UNCREATIVE DECISION, as FPP is easy and lazy :) At least the classic FPS FPP. And yes, Deus EX FPP was lazy as fuck. Dead Island had light years better FPP :)

I'm not going to wish fire and fury upon the devs because they made a creative decision I disagree with...

Indeed. I wish them all the best even if the game goes past all my hopes and wishes for it, that's the point where moving on is the best solution. Being disappointed is part of the picture, but it's just a videogame. There'll be other videogames.

atomowyturysta;n10873351 said:
I can't understand the "Immersion" argument when it comes to 1st Person. You have zero body awareness, you have restricted, 60 degree view, when shit hits the fan you don't know who is shooting, from where etc (unless you're at lest proficient FPS player), melee in FP is a nightmare. You're just floating TV - there's no YOU, just the restricted view.

It depends on how it is implemented, first person games with body awareness and adjustable FOV do exist, even by smaller developers than CDPR. It is also possible to include the ability to lean, so you can look around corners. The direction of enemies outside the FOV can be detected with the help of audio cues, but when your character is hit, games usually also give a visual indication of where the attack came from. I guess it is also a matter of what input device you are using, because with a mouse one can look around very quickly, controllers might be worse. Melee can be good enough in a game where "acrobatic" moves like spins and rolls are not needed in combat, it is probably not going to be the primary focus, but things like blocking or dodging should work fine in FPP.

Snowflakez;n10873061 said:
But, yes, I agree completely that first person RPGs can work, and they can work well. I've played and enjoyed the games you mention, particularly the last 3. But as I've said in a few other threads, FPP exclusivity tends to make me a little queasy, so I have to take frequent breaks every ~50 minutes or so. With a game that has optional TPP, I can just swap perspectives for a bit and keep on truckin'. I'd rather the game just give us the choice.

I don't get queasy, but I DO get frustrated with the "porthole effect".

As much as I love STALKER - and boy do I- it's especially frustrating when you -know-there is something to your left in the dark, but you can't snap-check it without turning your whole body and back again.

This is especially annoying in open-world-ish games with good sound, because your brain wants to peripheral-check or swivel check what your ears detect but you can't.
Argh.

Without touting VR's horn, that is one of the best things about it. Just looking naturally.

kofeiiniturpa;n10875221 said:
Arma has a mechanic where you can press’n’hold ALT to freely look around while moving forward.

Yep. It's sooooo nice. And crazy useful in multiplayer, which is super lethal.

They are also set up for the headlook thingy device, don't have that but apparently it's pretty handy.

Sardukhar;n10875351 said:
Yep. It's sooooo nice. And crazy useful in multiplayer, which is super lethal.

They are also set up for the headlook thingy device, don't have that but apparently it's pretty handy.

I wish more games did this. I didn't play much of ARMA, but I've seen other games do something similar. I think some horror games (Outlast, I think?) actually have similar functionality as well.

So many doomsayers.

It dies for me - completely. I can't play First Person, or at the very least not for very long. Getting through Firewatch was a pain in the ass already, and that was seriously slow sauce.

And I gave up on FallOut 3 because the third person view was a joke... I really, really wanted to play that one.

Last edited:
Vainamoinen;n10875661 said:
It dies for me - completely. I can't play First Person, or at the very least not for very long. Getting through Firewatch was a pain in the ass already, and that was seriously slow sauce.

And I gave up on FallOut 3 because the third person view was a joke... I really, really wanted to play that one.

nobody should be pessimistic or give up on game, at least not before E3. this is a slide from CDPR presentation from 2013 http://img6.gram.pl/120130813091633.jpg if they wanted to make a possibility to choose between FPP and TPP they will absolutely do it. Rockstar did it few years back wih GTA 5, fallout and elder scrolls have it. I bet that CDPR will do that, and that it will be best so far. me personally would like the most if we would have a TPP like mass effect or the division, so you watch your character from back and when you pull out rifle it zooms to rifle but you still see your character, and if you zoom even furter you get FPP, it would be awesome.

in any case, we shouldnt bring any conclusion until we see cyberpunk on E3, I am sure that CDPR will show us a new trailer (probably with a little bit story or background) and a gameplay, I am sure that we will see at least 10 min of gameplay and I cant wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom