In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I set foot in here, anyway I voted for players choice FP and TP.

I will personally play primarily in FP if the game is optimized that way.

Yep. Same. I can pretend I'm me and not....whoever I'm looking at. Then flick out for my Thai Kick Boxing moves.

I always prefer Third Person for a game like this.
Though of course the choice of both would be excellent (only if First Person is done well - and implemented as the secondary choice, with Third Person being the main perspective used). The main character is one of the most important parts of any game for me: I like to actually see them (even if mostly from behind, which I don't mind), rather than see through their eyes, especially if we can customize the way they look - which would obviously be quite pointless with strictly 1st-person view.

I prefer FPP, but there certain mechanics that work better with TPP, so I voted for player's choice with good looking TPP animations. It could effectively work as "Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast" too.

I feel like they should stick to what they know best, namely TPP. This worked great for other sci-fi RPG games like the Mass Effect series so I don’t see why it couldn’t work here. Especially a game like this one (where we will probably get to customize our character’s appearance) would profit from the TPP which shows the player their character most of the time.

FPP, I think, is the worse option here and splitting it (allowing the player to choose) sounds like an even dumber option because that usually ends up making both options suck and being done only half-assed.

I prefer switching to either as desired, but I prefer FPP usually. If we are going to have cybernetic eyes/brain implants, I want to be in FPP and view the world with augmented reality. Scanning faces, getting directions with build in gps, infrared, scanning for weapons/implants..etc. That would be cool, lets see the world like the old 80's and 90's cyberpunk books and movies envisioned it.

First person feels immersive for most things... getting a third person makes it easier to co-ordinate the melee and hard to navigate situations. I like immersion and being "in" the game. Especially since this is an RPG style motive.

I do like to see my character and the attributes and styles I have added though.

Therefore : I vote FPP with zoom out to TPP (just like in ESO or Skyrim and other such games)

I like to get immersed in a game, especially one where you can build your character up that way. Since I can't see myself in real life via some magical floating camera, I don't want that in the game either. It'll break the immersion for me. But make it an option for those people who find "looking at my cool self" an important thing. I know we live in a narcissistic "selfie" obsessed world, so that makes sense for them...

Not to mention, since bullets go in a straight line, aiming in 3rd person mode is completely unrealistic. A small movement of the mouse must be matched by a much larger movement by the character and that rate changes based on changes in terrain. Which to me makes it terribly unrealistic that you'd be able to aim in a perfect straight line from an overhead perspective because it could potentially be a zigzagging aiming for the character. For example, aim your reticule from the bottom of the stairs and move it up the stairs. Do this in first-person view and you will aim in a straight line in a fluid motion, like you would in real life. Now change that perspective to an over-the-shoulder view. Now do the same. That straight line you're moving will not be straight to the character, since the stairs are on different levels, your change in perspective level will mean three points that are in line in your perspective will not be in line for the character. So for that, you moving fluidly from one point to another, your character will be quickly aiming in a zigzag to follow the points you're pointing at everytime the level of the stairs change.

I only use stairs as an example since it's something that changes levels multiple times. But this happens in many situations. Say you're standing about 3 meters behind a big bush, beyond that bush is another clearing, then a step up to a higher level. Now do the same. The straight line from a 3rd person view from the ground in front of you, through the bush, to the flat ground beyond you, and to the higher ground level, will cause your character to constantly zigzag his aim every time you change levels. Not to mention, there would be a point just beyond the bush that your character actually cannot really aim at, since the bush will be obstructing his point of view.

This also opens up that unrealistic magical ability to see around corners without exposing any part of your own body. What would have made you more careful in a first-person game you'd approach more haphazardly since you can see the enemy coming without them seeing you...

WOW. One of the first FPP lovers who actualy thinks that TPP option is a nice idea and not a crime against humanity... :) Of course we TPP lovers are still "narcistic, obesessed" people :) Most people want TPP+FPP as a interchangable option with full functionality of both. So what's the point of throwing meat at eachother? :)

The main reason I prefer third or overhead views to first is situational awareness.
In real life you can glance about without totally losing your awareness of whatever your primary focus of interest is. And I don't find using a mouse to manipulate a 60 degree (or whatever) conical point of view nearly as useful/practical as being able to actually see what's going on around my character.
For me immersion in a game has absolutely nothing to do with the point of view a game happens to use.

I don't really have a particular preference here, other then that it more or less depends on what kind of game it is.

A pure shooter, like a Crysis, Farcry, BF, CoD, etc, then 1st person is in my opinion prefered, although 3rd person view can work ok as well (depending on variations of the game it's self).

A game like Mass Effect is one that I feel can work in both 1st person or 3rd person (although, ME never had a 1st person view, except for with sniper rifles when you aim with them), and I do not in any way feel they made a bad choice going with a 3rd person view... I mean it would be compleatly pointless to have a system where your character looks different based on the armor used, if it was a 1st person only game. The same goes for Fallout 3 and New Vegas... those are games where a 3rd person view is partly validated by the fact that your characters look can change, I personaly mostly played in 1st person, but I highly appretiated the fact there was a 3rd person option.

In games like Fallout 1+2+T, Dragon Age, Shadorun Returns, the upcoming Wasteland 2, or the more obscure games generally known as "Brigade E5/E6/E7/E8", I prefer if it is possible to have a isometric or top-down view (with or without the ability to zoom in and out, or move the camera around to various degrees). If DAO had only been topdown it would have been perfectly fine, but i do appretiate the fact though that I can zoom in for a more of a 3rd person like view. The 3rd person-like view is normally how I run around in DAO, since I prefer using the wasd when run (rather than clicking my wayforward) in that game, and because sometimes it is easier to see your surroundings in the 3rd person view. But in combat I do not like using wasd, and rather click my characters to where I want them, at which point the topdown/isometrical-like view is prefered. In minor to medium sized battles, and/or easy battles, I tend to stay in 3rd person. But in larger and/or difficult one, where I feel I need a better idea of the situation, I go to the max zoomed out view. Especially games that are turnbased I would say benefits highly from a isometric and topdown view. I have played 1st person-view turnbased games, and they are ok... but it always feels a bit awkward, and I always wished there was an isometric/topdown view, or a 3rd person with a free camera rotation at the very least.

First person can be OK if you're only controlling one character, not my preference as stated above, but OK.
But if you have more then extremely basic control (i.e. go there) over a group (PC + companions or whatever) then first person is the worst possible choice because you can only "see" what's going on from one single point-of-view.

Cyberpunk 3rd party view?

Do you think cyberpunk should have a 3rd person view? Most game now a days are either 3rd person or 1st person view what do you prefer?

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been asked before but do you guys think Cyberpunk 2077 should be played from a first person or third person point of view? I can't really decide myself as both have their pros and cons but I think I would find first person more immerse. If you can ride vehicles you could choose which point of view you are doing it from.

I don't know if this has been asked before but do you guys think Cyberpunk 2077 should be played from a first person or third person point of view? I can't really decide myself as both have their pros and cons but I think I would find first person more immerse. If you can ride vehicles you could choose which point of view you are doing it from.

I think having a mix of both with the option to choose is the way to go. There are cases where I'd prefer first person (shooting) and cases where I'd prefer 3rd person (out of combat situations in general).

I think having a mix of both with the option to choose is the way to go. There are cases where I'd prefer first person (shooting) and cases where I'd prefer 3rd person (out of combat situations in general).
I often switch between the two perspectives in most games that have the option. In games like Fallout 3/NV or Elder Scrolls, I love the First-person perspective for exploration and looting and maybe third-person sometimes for situational awareness in combat, but I'm also perfectly fine with just first-person all the way through for the immersion factor of it. With CP 2077, I'd probably largely prefer First-person for immersion simply because when the hell have you ever been able to play a first-person game in a Night City-esque setting outside of maybe Deus Ex: Human Rev?

Having played Deus Ex I vastly prefer first-person for this type of game. I hope they don't do what the community wants and let us switch because I don't see how that would work too well. Usually game environments are designed to be interacted with one way or the other, not both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom