In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it; Binary Domain and Alpha Protocol were good 3rd person shooters. The Division and Deus Ex: Mankind Evolved are also going to be 3rd person.

Not that I have played it but even GTA had a first person this time around. I feel there is very little excuse not to have both.

If anyone has played EvE Online the last three or four years you know there is a mirror in the 'hangar' when you dock up. If they could use this technology in different parts of the world this might be a good way to get to see you character every now and then when playing in first person. Giant mirror glass building anyone?

Not that I have played it but even GTA had a first person this time around. I feel there is very little excuse not to have both.

I basically agree, especially since from being hardcore FPP, I've kind of gone bi-perspective.

Issue is, we're all afraid we'll get the not-so-great animations that Fallout 3 had. I had no real isssue with them, but some people still twitch over it.

Oh, Chris, as far as I know, Mankind Divided will be FPP with TPP moments. Like it's predecessor.

I basically agree, especially since from being hardcore FPP, I've kind of gone bi-perspective.

Issue is, we're all afraid we'll get the not-so-great animations that Fallout 3 had. I had no real isssue with them, but some people still twitch over it.

Oh, Chris, as far as I know, Mankind Divided will be FPP with TPP moments. Like it's predecessor.

Well, I wouldn't worry about that. Since they got lots of experience while making the Wither series, I don't think third person wont be much of a problem for them. I would say, they have nailed down the TPP near perfectly, what I am more worried about is the FPP.. While FPP is usually quite straightforward, lets face it, in most games it is quite bland. No body or legs, floating arms with only weapon animations... how is that supposed to be immersive exactly? At least Fallout 3 had that PIP-BOY and lock picking animation in FPP, even though that's all there was when you think about it.. In most games, TPP usually has all those great animations, so why not FPP?

Long story short, I expect something great from them, I hope they wont disappoint...

Long story short, I expect something great from them, I hope they wont disappoint...

See that's the wonderful thing about complex art. It will be both great AND it will disappoint. Somewhere.

Someone will want Exotics. Someone will want FBC. SOmeone will want a Sternmeyer CG13 with RoF 40..NOT 30 DAMMIT.

We will just have to make do.

Viewpoint...not a big thing for me.

Well, I wouldn't worry about that. Since they got lots of experience while making the Wither series, I don't think third person wont be much of a problem for them. I would say, they have nailed down the TPP near perfectly, what I am more worried about is the FPP.. While FPP is usually quite straightforward, lets face it, in most games it is quite bland. No body or legs, floating arms with only weapon animations... how is that supposed to be immersive exactly? At least Fallout 3 had that PIP-BOY and lock picking animation in FPP, even though that's all there was when you think about it.. In most games, TPP usually has all those great animations, so why not FPP?

That's a good point. The traditional FPS view of only having arms and no legs or torso is very odd.
I hope you'll see your own body in CP2077.

I read somewhere it's going to be TPP, which surprised me. That said, the Internet is never wrong...

That's a good point. The traditional FPS view of only having arms and no legs or torso is very odd.

I don't think it's that odd. Seeing through the eyes of your avatar as though they were your own. When you walk down the street, how often do you see more than your own arms unless you look down?

See that's the wonderful thing about complex art. It will be both great AND it will disappoint. Somewhere.

Someone will want Exotics. Someone will want FBC. SOmeone will want a Sternmeyer CG13 with RoF 40..NOT 30 DAMMIT.

We will just have to make do.

Viewpoint...not a big thing for me.

Is that so... As long as they don't disappoint me, that's good enough for me... :sleepy:

I don't think it's that odd. Seeing through the eyes of your avatar as though they were your own. When you walk down the street, how often do you see more than your own arms unless you look down?

Problem starts when you look down though... since there is nothing there.. You might as well be floating eyeball with arms attached to it.

Also, the fact that FPP usually not having any other animations other than weapon animations doesn't help. There is no reason why there shouldn't be just as many FPP animations as there is TPP animations to begin with.

I would much rather have something like this than be a floating eyeball with arms

(This is called "Fallout 3 - Enhanced Camera" mod, in case you didn't know.)

Rather than something like this:

Yeah... Finding an image of a floating eyebot with arms wasn't easy...

I am glad you agree. I hope for same thing. Also, like I have said, I want FPP animations darn it! If I pick something up, I want to be able to inspect it with FPP.

In a game like UNREAL TOURNAMENT, or even ARMA, I don't care all that much because the focus is all on the gameplay.

But in an RPG, the focus is on the immersion and story. It is just to reinforce the fact that you're in another world.

In a game like UNREAL TOURNAMENT, or even ARMA, I don't care all that much because the focus is all on the gameplay.

But in an RPG, the focus is on the immersion and story. It is just to reinforce the fact that you're in another world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should go for 1st person, I am in favour of 3rd, (as Kong as sniping is from 1st,) or better yet being able to choose.

Style is everything in Cyberpunk, and there's a lot more potential for style in 3rd person. Immersion too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should go for 1st person, I am in favour of 3rd, (as Kong as sniping is from 1st,) or better yet being able to choose.

Style is everything in Cyberpunk, and there's a lot more potential for style in 3rd person. Immersion too.

Well, I agree with you, I would prefer being able to choose between 1st and 3rd.. I don't see any reason why we couldn't have both..

Which ever combination of perspectives they choose (I've given my preference), I do hope they get a bit more inventive with the gameplay mechanics that are involved.

Such that it is not merely an FPS/TPS which is about 90-95% of games of this ilk these days, and all of which do it more or less the same. Try out something at least a bit more new and fresh.

In general, I'd say the perspective is of no concern if the gameplay through it is good (good as in fitting with the PnP ancestry as far as it can).

Mankind Divided will be FPP with TPP moments. Like it's predecessor.

This might be a viable alternative. However, I know that most Deus Ex fans were critical (to say the least) of the dual perspective in Human Revolution. People mostly wanted FPP only, like in the original Deus Ex. I think gamers in general want a game to have either exclusive FPP or exclusive TPP, simply for the sake of quality.

I think that we should vote for exclusive perspective, as long as developers are restrained by limited time and resources.

Vomitting is very Cyberpunk. You're Edgy now!

Please Sard, it is Cybervomit. Use it correctly next time. For example, you don't simply call it psycho, it is Cyberpsycho. You don't call it net, it is Cybernet.

You don't call it headache, it is cyberheadache... list just goes on and on..

TTP-FPP switchable seem the best solution for me...

FPP only in a roleplaying game that is supposed to have a lot of customization won't work for sure... Deus Ex don't have any customization using it as example is plain wrong.

TTP only is more acceptable in a rpg with customization on it..

But i like the players to have a choice so the middle ground solution of a switchable TTP-FPP sounds like the ideal solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom