In-Game Purchases

+
@RyuHayabusa-II , I doubt that it will affect ranked matches, just the thought of worst scenario :)

BTW, it's not predetermined that these packs will have cards better than basic cards, it may have other cards.

Anyway, I'm not defending microtransactions, just trying to be optimistic about it.

Back in the old days we had cheat codes, now we have microtransactions... :D

There has been comforting words in this thread, but I'm still a bit skeptical. Like I said somewhere earlier, we just have to trust REDS that they can make this work fair and square. Maybe there is really good reason for using money once we see this in action. Something that doesn't include buying stronger cards.

Your arguments are really valid! What you are mentioning are very good reasons to not go play-for-free :) And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that free-to-play is better, it probably isn't. I'm just saying that i, myself, think that it might not be as catastrophic as some do :)
But can i add some food to your thoughts? :)

Firstly. Did you really read my post thoroughly? I'm not trying to be rude, i really do. The argument about people not having money to spend and therefor meeting unfair challenges is huge. But as i said, i haven't spent any money on Hearthstone, and i have just now started getting into arena. I am exactly the kind of person you are worrying about with that argument, and i don't think it's that bad :) i don't like getting everything served on a silver plate. Well, not always at least. So not spending any money can be a nice challenge i think. For me at least.
To be fair though, i will probably buy the adventures some time in the future, the cards are good, they're fun and i want to support the developer. But right now it's a fun challenge, just because i can't spend money on it. But this is just me. What you are saying is true. that might really worsen the game experience for potentially a lot of people. That is still a very good reason to not go free-to-play.

My second thought:
You say that buying in-game items is kinda like cheating, and that is a really good point! That is one of the reasons why i haven't bought anything from Hs yet. It's true, it kinda does feel like cheating. During my time with Hs i have of course met my fair share opponents with perfect net-decks with all the required legendaries and struggled alot. That kinda sucks, but consider this.
Have you played a real life card game like MTG or Pokemon TCG? Because that shit is Pay-to-win beyond what Hs and (probably) Gwent will ever come close to. Since the cards are real, you have to pay. But that's just how the nature of those games are. You can view it from the angle, that not having to spend a lot of money and actually being able to pay for free is kinda generous compared to real life card games. :)

That's just a few of my thoughts. You are fairly probably right. It might be unfair. I'm just trying to threw in some different views into debate that i don't think get looked upon too often :)

Here is an argument though, i'm interested in your thoughts on it. How would you design a good full-price card game? Not having all cards from the get-go and the slow grind to getting all the good cards is half the fun for me. How would you like the process of getting new cards in the game be done? Would you want all the cards being there from the start or would you just want to have a way of getting booster packs in-game without money. Because the latter can be hard to balance.

I hope i don't sound hostile. I like your comment and i like the debate. Thanks for the response, and have a good day! I look forward to the rest of your thoughts :)

Best wishes
/Sammpemannen

Yo mate

I wasn't trying to be rude either. I am Sorry if it sounded like that.

Well, I understand what you say.
The main problem of such micro-transactions, and even paid dlc's (not like whole Add-Ons, when I say DLC, I am talking about such single item additions, little packages and such for many games out there witch are exaggerated expensive compared to full games contents, e.g. Borderlands 2 and its DLC politics) is that they are causing the game's idea and concept to become neglect by the developers and publishers, because they work on it seeing only a cow-cash in it.
Of course, at the same time it compromises the in-game economy as mentioned before.

Some people may say that you don't need to buy or participate on the micro-transactions, yet they've a huge influence into the game and its future-life.
In my opinion, people should understand this and start consider if they really want to support such games, even when they won't participate on those shops.

Free-To-Play games have a bad reputation duo to their way, to force people using their micro-transactions implemented or bad development support, because many free-to-play games making use of this implementation.
At this point, the developer or the publisher is the one who must consider what he's capable of and what he wants to offer his customers.
If they choose Free-To-Play, they must consider the consequences.

Will Gwent going to become a Free-To-Play game? I am not sure to be honest, CD Projekt didn't mention anything about it back there at the Microsoft E3 Press Conference. I think this'll be a Buy-To-Play game, which is absolutely approved to be for such a game.
Anyway, there are a couple ways to make this game a big success and rewarding for the player without the implementation of any micro-transactions. Most of those is given already, but they are badly balanced in those games with micro-transactions, in order to force customers making use of micro-transactions instead.

You need to balance all cards in the game depending what level-type they are, which makes it fairly and decent to earn more cards.
For example, one type of such might be to differ the cards by their level and make a limit of how many cards are allowed to use in your deck of each level. Given of a variety of many cards, there is a possibility to play the way you want and make good combination of what cards you want to use. Even this might be challenging.
In Addition you may add a feature which is rewarding you with additional cards after every game you win, using a random generator with lesser chance for better cards. Those cards you may obtain with no use for you can be used for crafting other cards. This'd make the game more dynamic.

These are just some thoughts which might improve the game mechanics.
Of course I don't know how the game will look like at the end. All considerations is depended of how suitable it might be for the game itself.

Will Gwent going to become a Free-To-Play game? I am not sure to be honest, CD Projekt didn't mention anything about it back there at the Microsoft E3 Press Conference.

it's the first line in the FAQ:
Is GWENT a free game?
GWENT is a free to play game offering optional in-game purchases.

there is also this (at 15:00) :

In the end of this interview Damien have said that there'll be a packs, but you will be able to build everything for free - game will award devoted players :)

In the lastest E3 showcase on the Xbox channel, before starting the game against 'Master Lui' there was a screen that showed what card you could win if you Win the game.(guess that's one of the ways of how to win cards in the game)

That being said ... what if they actually make a market for trading cards inside the game... my God I wasn't this excited for a game in a while.

In the lastest E3 showcase on the Xbox channel, before starting the game against 'Master Lui' there was a screen that showed what card you could win if you Win the game.(guess that's one of the ways of how to win cards in the game).

are you sure? the first screen was the deck selection and the next just the loading screen. unless we are talking about something different :D

but regardless, winning games is a very likely way to get cards.

Yo mate

I wasn't trying to be rude either. I am Sorry if it sounded like that.

Well, I understand what you say.
The main problem of such micro-transactions, and even paid dlc's (not like whole Add-Ons, when I say DLC, I am talking about such single item additions, little packages and such for many games out there witch are exaggerated expensive compared to full games contents, e.g. Borderlands 2 and its DLC politics) is that they are causing the game's idea and concept to become neglect by the developers and publishers, because they work on it seeing only a cow-cash in it.
Of course, at the same time it compromises the in-game economy as mentioned before.

Some people may say that you don't need to buy or participate on the micro-transactions, yet they've a huge influence into the game and its future-life.
In my opinion, people should understand this and start consider if they really want to support such games, even when they won't participate on those shops.

Free-To-Play games have a bad reputation duo to their way, to force people using their micro-transactions implemented or bad development support, because many free-to-play games making use of this implementation.
At this point, the developer or the publisher is the one who must consider what he's capable of and what he wants to offer his customers.
If they choose Free-To-Play, they must consider the consequences.

Will Gwent going to become a Free-To-Play game? I am not sure to be honest, CD Projekt didn't mention anything about it back there at the Microsoft E3 Press Conference. I think this'll be a Buy-To-Play game, which is absolutely approved to be for such a game.
Anyway, there are a couple ways to make this game a big success and rewarding for the player without the implementation of any micro-transactions. Most of those is given already, but they are badly balanced in those games with micro-transactions, in order to force customers making use of micro-transactions instead.

You need to balance all cards in the game depending what level-type they are, which makes it fairly and decent to earn more cards.
For example, one type of such might be to differ the cards by their level and make a limit of how many cards are allowed to use in your deck of each level. Given of a variety of many cards, there is a possibility to play the way you want and make good combination of what cards you want to use. Even this might be challenging.
In Addition you may add a feature which is rewarding you with additional cards after every game you win, using a random generator with lesser chance for better cards. Those cards you may obtain with no use for you can be used for crafting other cards. This'd make the game more dynamic.

These are just some thoughts which might improve the game mechanics.
Of course I don't know how the game will look like at the end. All considerations is depended of how suitable it might be for the game itself.

No no, you didn't sound rude at all. I'm just really trying not to myself. i'm a little tired right now and it's already easy enough to sound hostile on internet forums. It's cool^^

But anyways. I think you hit the spot there with the first things you say. There is a difference between meaningful and greedy dlc, and there is no reason to beat around the bush about it. We have to consider though that making a AAA-game costs more and more and are increasingly bigger gambles for companies to take. So they might have no choice. Game companies need to make money, which we sometimes pretty easily forget. But that's of course no reason to make downright bad dlc.
Then again. Gwent is hardly a AAA-game. So we'll have to see about it. I have confidence in them. So with whichever path they choose, i think they will make it good :)

So we will have to see. It doesn't seem like they will make it exactly like hearthstone have done it from the things we've seen so far. And getting additional cards/card-packs after each win is a pretty good idea. I really want something resembling that or of hearthstones mechanics. But in the end, we seem to still have a little differing views on what we want for the game and CDPR can't satisfy everyone. I think we'll just have to wait and see the ways they choose for the game :)

One thing I hate about Hearthstone is not being able to buy single cards unless you craft them with their awful disenchant system.

I would like to buy singles with fair prices. $50 for commons, $1 for rares, $5 for epics, $20 for legendaries etc. etc.

In the end of this interview Damien have said that there'll be a packs, but you will be able to build everything for free - game will award devoted players :)

What a cool video! :) I really like those new things showed in this. Frost giant doubles when frost is on the table and how "selected" card is showed on the side properly. And of course, Roach. Now it definitely gets more interesting with weather cards :D What a great thing to get whole new abilities and cards! This might take a while to learn :D And I guess it doesn't look so "cheap" now that I have been watching those cards more often. It's just different (but still liking original W3 cards more).

I'm so excited :D Give it to me already! Yesterday I signed up for beta, let's hope I'm lucky...

After watching this video, I'm not that worried anymore about this game including microtransactions. Right now this feels like I'm having a two years long Christmas and that CDPR is bombarding us with gifts. First W3, then HoS, then BAW and right after this one :D Luckily I have a strong heart, otherwise I would have had several heart attacks because of this constant excitement!

I think the game may function similar to Hearthstone in that you don't need to pump real money to progress. They also had a good system in The Witcher: Battle Arena. I truest that it will be a very fair system as CDPR care about treating people right.

Here's another gameplay stream with Damien, he emphasised on Premium cards - all the cards in the game will have a Premium version with enhanced 3D visuals and animations. Looks like it will have no impact on gameplay.

I would love myself some boosters. SHINYS!

Here's another gameplay stream with Damien, he emphasised on Premium cards - all the cards in the game will have a Premium version with enhanced 3D visuals and animations. Looks like it will have no impact on gameplay.

That Geralt: Igni card tough and that roach mechanic is brilliant i love the art work on that card!
Sort of mocking the witcher 3 and the way roach spawns in some times, love it!

Buying shortcuts so u don't have to do single player is okay with me but NOT only being able to get premium cards through purchasing. U have to be able to earn for free every card u can buy otherwise it's not fair

Buying shortcuts so u don't have to do single player is okay with me but NOT only being able to get premium cards through purchasing. U have to be able to earn for free every card u can buy otherwise it's not fair

As I understand it, premium cards are just 3D, animated versions of every "regular" card, with no impact on gameplay.

Yup, seems like it's gonna be a perfect in-game shop (as in, just cosmetics). If they only allow you to buy the premium versions of the cards that you obtained so far, and they are just animated versions (and of course card skins and etc.) it would not provide any issues. Which was the case in Battle Arena as well. I honestly don't think CDPR will let their customers done in this regard. But of course we will see.

If they have shortcut packs for those who don't have time or do no want to play single player campaign to unlock them then that is cool with me but they should allow you to unlock every card by playing single player and without it being ridiculously grindy or repetitive

The way I see it, CD Projekt Red have been cool so far. I mean, the Expansions to The Witcher 3 were both huge and in my opnion cheap for what you got. I don't see them screwing over thier players now when they say this game was made for them.

However, i will say this: I Am worried by the silence on the matter. if I were CD Projekt Red, and I cared about my ans, and I saw people say that word, I would immediatly go "Ok chill guys, it's just for looks and the likes" or "Ok chill guys, you can earn everything in game and there are like 5 different ways to do so". The fact they have said nothing about this topic scares me more then if they spoke about it.

Guest 3893205

I would like to buy singles with fair prices. $50 for commons, $1 for rares, $5 for epics, $20 for legendaries etc. etc.

So you are saying that if you were building a specific deck, you would prefer to spend 150$ on single cards rather than spending 60$ on cardpacks which you then disenchant and craft the very same cards that you wanted?

So you are saying that if you were building a specific deck, you would prefer to spend 150$ on single cards rather than spending 60$ on cardpacks which you then disenchant and craft the very same cards that you wanted?

While you are here, how does card crafting work anyway? Can you craft premium cards or are they buy only? I want to know as much about these microtranactions as possible. I mean I trust you guys like I said above but the less I know on it the more worried I get.

Top Bottom