In the book a Witcher was equel to about 30 fully armed knights in combat.

+
In the book a Witcher was equel to about 30 fully armed knights in combat.

Was it ever shown, or stated how they stacked up against elves? The main reason I am curious is because we are going to be fighting against the wild hunt. Uber magic elves that ride through dimensions. Are these bastards on par with humans, or are they a little bit more dangerous?

Probably. From what I've seen, elves don't seem to be inherently superior in hand-to-hand combat (although they probably are in archery, but humans generally make up for that with crossbows, which has it's drawbacks). But the Ruadhri quite probably are rather dangerous.

Last edited:
Was it ever shown, or stated how they stacked up against elves? The main reason I am curious is because we are going to be fighting against the wild hunt. Uber magic elves that ride through dimensions. Are these bastards on par with humans, or are they a little bit more dangerous?

The witchers were able to fight the Wild Hunt to a stalemate in the TW2 flashbacks, but the numbers of the Wild Hunt were too much for the witchers to prevail. So the Riders are nothing like invincible, maybe more dangerous but less well defended (thus easier to dispel) than knights.

Also, they come from another "dimensions". So, they generally don't have to bother with the mess that the Elves from the Witcher's dimension have to bother with. Which gives them time for training and perfecting their skills (which may also give improvements in their general gene, as they evolve into better fighters). Their hand-to-hand combat might be also very much influenced by their supernatural abilities. And they are kinda badass so it would be a shamefur dispray to let them fight like ordinary Scoia'tael.

Without spoiling anything, the Wild Hunt are an Elite unit of warriors, so they are not your average kind of elven fighters and even those are expert fighters because of their faster reflexes and stronger hits, so you can imagine that they are a force to be reckoned with.

The witchers were able to fight the Wild Hunt to a stalemate in the TW2 flashbacks, but the numbers of the Wild Hunt were too much for the witchers to prevail. So the Riders are nothing like invincible, maybe more dangerous but less well defended (thus easier to dispel) than knights.

Hmm sounds like they might be more than boss characters than. I was hoping they would be a reoccurring high level basic enemy. Maybe representative of a spell sword style of enemy like Geralt.

Last edited:
They probably will be re-occurring high level enemies. As mentioned, a witcher would be capable of assaulting multiple at the same time, the problem comes if he's overwhelmed by their numbers. While boss characters are strong, they usually aren't overwhelming in numbers.

Judging by last trailers, Dearg Ruadhri are far from impressive...Just standing there, and waiting for Geralt and Lambert to slaughter them :D :D

They probably will be re-occurring high level enemies. As mentioned, a witcher would be capable of assaulting multiple at the same time, the problem comes if he's overwhelmed by their numbers. While boss characters are strong, they usually aren't overwhelming in numbers.

I still remember the wraith defense missions in Witcher 2, and the Operator. Not overwhelming my ass lol. Anyway I would love to see some really wild combat styles coming from the wild hunt. Spell blade Witcher style, Mages, elven bowmen, elven swordsmen. Something that when you see them you go "oh crap".

It took me a while to kill Operator [on Normal mode], I certainly don't look forward to having to deal with such kind of enemies on a regular basis. lol

For some reason, I think the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be more challenging, and frustrating at times, but I am not going to lower the difficulty bar, no matter what.
I haven't read the book, yet I expect a very good story, and this is enough for me.

I still remember the wraith defense missions in Witcher 2, and the Operator. Not overwhelming my ass lol. Anyway I would love to see some really wild combat styles coming from the wild hunt. Spell blade Witcher style, Mages, elven bowmen, elven swordsmen. Something that when you see them you go "oh crap".

By overwhelming, I meant overwhelming in numbers.

Where in the books did a witcher manage to fight of 30 armed and trained enemies?
Geralt had some problems even with 3 (admittedly experienced) killers.

Witchers are strong, but they are not OP insane monster machines beyond comprehension :p.

As for the Wild Hunt... they are basically special forces. I expect them to be technically as good as the better soldiers of the kingdoms, but with more stylish armor (Its true! So fashion!) .
In game though... high level enemies?

Where in the books did a witcher manage to fight of 30 armed and trained enemies?
Geralt had some problems even with 3 (admittedly experienced) killers.

Witchers are strong, but they are not OP insane monster machines beyond comprehension :p.

As for the Wild Hunt... they are basically special forces. I expect them to be technically as good as the better soldiers of the kingdoms, but with more stylish armor (Its true! So fashion!) .
In game though... high level enemies?

One of the first short stories a cocky young knight comes challenging him with about 30 men. Geralt makes it clear that he could kill them all in no uncertain terms. There are also several points he leaves piles of dead bodies behind him in his wake. Like when he kills the band of mercenaries that were after the wizard in the tower in the first book.

One of the first short stories a cocky young knight comes challenging him with about 30 men. Geralt makes it clear that he could kill them all in no uncertain terms. There are also several points he leaves piles of dead bodies behind him in his wake. Like when he kills the band of mercenaries that were after the wizard in the tower in the first book.

I am quite certain that he wasnt dealing with 30 whole knights... and it was something of a bluff. He was heavily injured in battle with fewer enemies.

The mercenaries were 7 or 8 in number. Quite a feat, they left the impression of being experienced fighters, if untrained in how to deal with Witchers.

He wasn't just "buffling". He was serious when he said he will kill all those men, and he was ready for it. There are also many other moments in the books where Geralt is superior against overhelming amount of enemies.
Geralt is not an idiot and would not risk his life unless its absolutely necessary.
He's a witcher, a mutant - a superhuman with devastating speed for killing...If he needs, Im sure he could go even beyond that number. After all its not like he is in his first massacare.

Last edited:
I am sure he wasnt bluffing that he would try to kill all of them (try).

But that is not very consistent with his abilities in the later books.

I think it was made clear in thanned and his fight against scoi'teals of Vilgefortz plus Cahir and Nilfgaarian soldiers plus confused mages and sorcersses....

Last edited:
I think it was made clear in thanned and his fight against scoi'teal of Vilgefortz plus Cahir and Nilfgaarian soldiers plus confused mages and sorcersses....
This. Im sure he can go even beyond that number. ESPECIALLY if that means protecting someone very dear and important to him, like Ciri in Thanned massacare.

lol what kind of question is that? obviusly not, they are not equal, key words being : "magic elves that ride through dimensions", and more specifically "magic" and "dimensions". at that point does is it really matter if you are an elf or a tournip? you have magical abilities that put you on a space-time tier level, who even cares if you are an elf or a talcking sock at that point?

Top Bottom