INB4 William Gibson

+
Gibson was indeed one of the inspirations for Cyberpunk (2013) and 2020... but he was far from the only one. There is also a whole lot of Walter John Williams, Bruce Sterling, and Phillip K. Dick in there. Also a lot of Bladerunner, Streets Of Fire, and Robocop, and like me, Mike was an early fan (for an American) of Anime/manga, and the influence of Appleseed and Bubblegum Crisis is pretty evident.

I'd like to also point out the William Gibson short story collection "Burning Chrome" especially the stories "Johnny Mnemonic" and "Burning Chrome."

Everyone else has mentioned the classics, Gibson, Dick, WIlliams, Sterling, Bladerunner, Stephenson, which are all excellent.

James Cameron's "Dark Angel" (at least the first season) is a great look at how life could be in Night City, and while there's limited cybernetics, the Red series implants, a lot about that world was influenced from the same sources. Max and her fellow Manticore escapees could be considered Solos. Logan a Netrunner/ Media, Lydecker a Cop, etc.

I tried to do a search with "gravity" and "effinger" from the entire forum... Zero hits?

I'm seriously amazed nobody has mentioned George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails yet, in any thread. An amazing series of books, the Marîd Audran series. I absolutely loved the setting.

It was so good, in fact, that R. Talsorian made it into a sourcebook.

Main Core Book; Page 129; Netrunning:

"Boy, I wish ol' Bill Gibson was around to see this!"

"Hey Edger. Don't you know it's unlucky to invoke the name of the Patron Saint?"

--Somewhere over hte Pacifica Region, LDL 2542.0219

This reminds me that I have Neuromancer shelfwarming on my night stand. I think it would be cool to have little areas around the game that would have some kind of shrines? Dedicated to all the authors that brought the world Cyberpunk.

@Wisdom
And I hope there's Easter eggs from all those influences, even the anime/manga ones.

I tried to do a search with "gravity" and "effinger" from the entire forum... Zero hits?

I'm seriously amazed nobody has mentioned George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails yet, in any thread. An amazing series of books, the Marîd Audran series. I absolutely loved the setting.

It was so good, in fact, that R. Talsorian made it into a sourcebook.

Looking for the pdf file now.

Top Bottom