INB4 William Gibson

+
INB4 William Gibson

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books. Can't go cyber anything without it. Influence in this particular game?

The game is based on Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk PnP game.

which is basically Neuromancer: the PnP game

so OP, of course it's an influence by design. from what i can tell, i would say neuromancer is the main influence of cp77 next to blade runner, in the same way that Deus Ex: HR's main influence was Ghost in the Shell

which is basically Neuromancer: the PnP game

so OP, of course it's an influence by design. from what i can tell, i would say neuromancer is the main influence of cp77 next to blade runner, in the same way that Deus Ex: HR's main influence was Ghost in the Shell

Well really, when you think of the defining authors of Cyberpunk, William Gibson is basically one of the gods of the genre. Of course he'd have influence.

Also, as another member pointed out, there's even a William Gibson highway in Cyberpunk 2020.

There were a few "Neuromancer" PC games released aaaages ago if I remember correctly. Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl trilogy are awesome books. I'm currently reading Idoru at the moment. It's also fantastic.

There were a few "Neuromancer" PC games released aaaages ago if I remember correctly. Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl trilogy are awesome books. I'm currently reading Idoru at the moment. It's also fantastic.

I've read that one too. Part of the other trilogy, bridge I think.

Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl trilogy are awesome books.

i agree
OP if you only know neuromancer you should definatly check out count zero and mona lisa overdrive, i even liked count zero a bit more then neuromancer from a story perspective

the evolution of gibsons words in books or interviews over the years, should make any open mind a true gibsonist..even lightly interpretations ( kind of trashy movies ^^ ) couldn't deny the greater vision...

Netrunning in Cyberpunk is basically a more elaborate version of what is detailed in Neuromancer/Count Zero/Etc.

The rest of CP2020 is also basically a more elaborate version... you could roll up carbon copies of basically every character in those books using the CP2020 skills/cyberware.

i agree
OP if you only know neuromancer you should definatly check out count zero and mona lisa overdrive,

Also Virtual Light and All Tomorrow's Parties. The Bridge trilogy is quite low key compared to his other works (well, except for Idoru) but I like the way he built those stories more.

Bruce Sterling has quite a few too. My fav was Artificial Kid.
Another prodigious author was Philip K Dick. Robots do dream of electric sheep

i even liked count zero a bit more then neuromancer from a story perspective
I'm happy someone else feels this way :D I loved Count Zero (although it's more, hmm, Hollywood movie-like, what with a mercenary and a clumsy but genius kid being protagonists). Mona Lisa Overdrive was sooo messy, though, I lost the point of the plot more timed than I'd like to admit. In the end I just wanted it to be over :x

If we're going to start talking about Sterling, thread is incomplete without mention of Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash and The Metaverse. Whoooo, Neal! Neal! Neal!

If we're going to start talking about Sterling, thread is incomplete without mention of Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash and The Metaverse. Whoooo, Neal! Neal! Neal!

I liked Stephenson's earlier stuff, especially Snow Crash, but I found it a bit too self-referential and wry to be as good as Neuromancer. I like a good smirk, but much of SC was smirk heavy. Cryptonomicon I liked better.

His later stuff is just too obtuse for me. And boring. The Alchemical series especially.

I liked Stephenson's earlier stuff, especially Snow Crash, but I found it a bit too self-referential and wry to be as good as Neuromancer. I like a good smirk, but much of SC was smirk heavy. Cryptonomicon I liked better.

His later stuff is just too obtuse for me. And boring. The Alchemical series especially.

Big SnowCrash fan. Smirk for sure, I mean it stars a man named Hiro Protagonist. Much bigger fan of Cryptonomicon. There's a novel. The only later book worthy of the list is Reamde - definitely worth a read if you've ever played an MMO, or had friends who had a problem with one.

Schismatrix is by Bruce Sterling, and while takes place in space has heavy cyberpunk themes and influences. I suppose its more transhumanism too, but its still an amazing book.

Interestingly Williams also contributed to a sourcebook based on Hardwired for the CP2020 system.

edit: correcting the attribution after checking the wikipedia page.

Top Bottom