Including the 4rth Corporate War or not... ramifications and alternative solutions...

+
Including the 4rth Corporate War or not... ramifications and alternative solutions...

I tried this in a previous thread, but it got utterly derailed quickly...so this is my second attempt...

I have held, since the beginning, that instead of trying to further the timeline from Cyberpunk 2020, they (both R.Tal and CDPR) should instead reboot the game. Using the same timeline as see in the 2020 books, but stretching it out so that where it ends on year 2020 is actually 2077. This alllows the tech and feel, and most importantly, the plausibility, of the 2020 setting, to be present in 2077, and for the more advanced tech, such as cyberenetics, including full conversions, and Direct Neural Interface to not only exist believably, but to also have legacy... Cybernetics, nanotech, and bioware are not only commonplace, but they have been perfected over generations... allowing them to be not only prevalent, but have history. Full Conversion Packages have generations behind them....

This type of reboot also allows for the update of some of the outdated concepts on Cyberpunk 2020, like ridiculously expensive cellphones, to updated and pushed forward seamlessly.

It also means that the setting would no longer be an alternate reality, with the point of divergence being 1990... which is something that could get really confusing down the road... "what... you mean to tell me I am playing is a what if past, pushed forward to a what if future?" What do you mean 9-11 never happened? What do you mean 15 years ago a massive quake hit and put Los Angeles under water? What do you mean instead of going to war in the middle east that the middles east nuked itself to glass back in the 90's and instead we went to war with south America.... twice.... and when we lost the second time we left all of our people behind who had to walk home.... and that the Colombians detonated a nuke in Manhattan????????" I don't remember any of that shit... but now the game is in the future........ what the fuck is going on? Where are my pants?"

Do you see the confusion this is going to cause?

However, CDPR and Mike have both stated that the corporate war will be included....

Keeping the 2020 timeline as is, and expanding it 57 years into the future, which seems to be the way they are going... means the whole game is still an alternate timeline, and, its going to make for some weird tech, that may end up taking the game way too far into star trek territory, leaving us with the V3 problem all over again... This is what terrifies me.... this scenario could in fact have me dropping all support for the game and crawling into a closet somewhere to weep...

However, I have a solution, a compromise between the two schools of thought.... one that will make the fans of 2020 happy, and one that will allow Mike and CDPR to move forward with their vision, without skewing the mood and feel of the setting to harshly...

They could do both.... reboot the setting, starting the timeline in 2020, keep the events from the timeline, and include the 4rth corporate war if they must, but having those events of the timeline taking place between 2020 and 2077..... this will keep technology from getting too far advanced, while at the same time allowing them to keep the timeline, including the 4rth corporate war, in place... just with the dates altered so it will no longer be an alternate history, and the tech and feel stays at the same level as CP 2020, which is what made it so popular....

Yeah I thought about the same too and I would like to see some "Official" answer in the future. A compromise as you suggested seems reasonable.

I'd bet we get something very much like this.

There willbe a divergence from our timeline, I think, to make it clear that this -is- fiction, but I think they'll move a lot of the dates up and around so 2015 seems more in line with what is actually happening in 2015 and 2077 tech isn't all lasers.

The y can put the corporate wars - all 4 of them - wherever they want, really. Hell, you can make the argument that the clashes in Iraq and Afghanistan are really about Oil right now. Hel-lo Halliburton!

Hel-lo Halliburton!
Hm. Actually, I think it'd be clever if they substituted CP companies for their real-world analogues, if they decide to retcon the timeline. Militech for Blackwater (or some other defense contractor,) Biotechnica for Monsato, etc.

Hm. Actually, I think it'd be clever if they substituted CP companies for their real-world analogues, if they decide to retcon the timeline. Militech for Blackwater (or some other defense contractor,) Biotechnica for Monsato, etc.

Well, be prepared for a legal mess then :)

While a reboot would be useful (and god knows I LOVE the room-size computers less capable then this laptop in Traveller) it of course creates it's own problems.

The current version of Cyberpunk has been out for years, many people have played it, some even actually read the "history".

In the case such as this were you're taking an existing RPG and turning it into a computer game one of the hoped for side effects would be that people would be interested in purchasing the PnP game. Cause let's be real, the whole point of ANY business is to make a profit. If the game history in the PnP and computer versions was similar but with significant differences this might put folks off.

...It was my understanding that they were going to be launching a new PnP, in conjunction with the game? or was I mistaken in that?

They mentioned in the first interview on gametrailers that Mike P would be responsible for the 2020 era and CDPR would work on 2077. This may or may not mean a new PnP.

Personally I usually hate all the reboots and alternate timelines. I'd prefer if they'd just keep it like it was originally. Just confuses things needlesly.
In this case I don't really care since I don't really have prior knowledge about Cyberpunk (only gone through some timelines). But I'd think that old fans would like to see how the story progresses and not mess with their precious Cyberpunk?
Of course you could take into consideration how realworld tech has advanced and update things accordingly.

...It was my understanding that they were going to be launching a new PnP, in conjunction with the game? or was I mistaken in that?

While a reboot would be useful (and god knows I LOVE the room-size computers less capable then this laptop in Traveller) it of course creates it's own problems.

The current version of Cyberpunk has been out for years, many people have played it, some even actually read the "history".

In the case such as this were you're taking an existing RPG and turning it into a computer game one of the hoped for side effects would be that people would be interested in purchasing the PnP game. Cause let's be real, the whole point of ANY business is to make a profit. If the game history in the PnP and computer versions was similar but with significant differences this might put folks off.

They mentioned in the first interview on gametrailers that Mike P would be responsible for the 2020 era and CDPR would work on 2077. This may or may not mean a new PnP.

Yes they are putting out a new version of the PNP game, details are really sketchy though, and sometimes seem contradictory.

While what Sardi has said is true, its also been said that the new edition of the tabletop game will be brought up to 2077, to coincide with the video game... I find this scenario to be a lot more plausible. If the video game is successful R.Talsorian is going to want to maximize on that success..

Look, lets just make one thing perfectly clear. The video game is not only where the money will be spent, but it is also where the profit is going to come from. Because of that, the video game is going to set the standard for the setting of the new tabletop game. This, from the very beginning, has been my biggest worry in regards to the changing of setting elements. This is why the video game CANNOT be to radically different from the 2020 setting we know and love if we have any hope of seeing the tabletop setting be re-invigorated. This is why the idea of a new map, and a drastically changed from the sourcebook Night City gets under my skin just a bit. This is why the idea someone put forth a month ago about all the cars being self driven, was completely unacceptable to me. Or the idea someone else had about cloning centers being commonplace, and when you die you just get backed up into a new clone. Because if these things are put into the video game, they will have to be there in the tabletop game.

This isn't Shadowrun, which is a game that has changed hands several times, but has been pretty much in steady print since its start, with high quality materials still coming out and a massive audience. Shadowrun video games can afford to take some liberties.... I do not know the extent of any liberties taken, as I haven't really played the recent shadowrun video games.... But Cyberpunk 2020, as a tabletop Franchise, has been silent for over a decade. It needs this video game, and if the tabletop is radically different than the video game, its going to turn people off.

Anyway, those are my fears on the subject.

Satire. Happens all the time, and is protected in many (if not all) of the markets that CDPR would try to sell this game in.

I don't think messing with companies like Blackwater is something CDPR really needs, you know. Even if they are legally protected on different markets.

Just sayin.

I don't think messing with companies like Blackwater is something CDPR really needs, you know. Even if they are legally protected on different markets.

Just sayin.

It's not only not needed, but its unnecessary... the games corporations are cooler than their real world counterparts anyway...

Top Bottom