Incomprehensible performance problem

+
Incomprehensible performance problem

Hi there,I played The Witcher on my ancient computer with a resolution of 1280x1024, and graphical options between middle and high. The game worked fine even on the 1.2 patch.My configuration was :- AMD Sempron 3000+- 1,5 GB DDRam PC3200- NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT OC edition- Samsung SpinPoint 7200 rpm 16moNow that I have a new Laptop, I tried The Witcher on it, only with the 1.2 patch.My configuration :- AMD Turion 64 X2 (Mobile) 1,9GHZ- 2 GB DDRam2- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS- HDD 5400 rpmAnd my game run better on the ancient computer than this one...With my laptop, the game slows down even in 800x600 with all the option on middle.... o_OI don't think this is normal, I downloaded one of the latest nvidia driver (modified for my laptop) and I have configurated the AMD dual core patchs for windows.When I run the game, the first core is always at 100% and the second between 5 and 10 % at his capacity.And even with all the options on low, there are little freezes constantly... This isn't really freezes but, when Geralt run, every 1,2 or 3 seconds the game speed up and slow down in less than a second, especially in the city.I'm in the chapter two, and when I go to the forest, the game realy slow down, I don't know why... my computer is better than the ancient x( !!!Is this my Hard Drive Disk ? Or the CPU ?... This can't be my graphical cards I think. Maybe... I got some graphical errors in cut scenes, sometimes the game freez and then it continues with flashy colors, like if my video card was too hot.

Fenrisulven said:
Hi there,I played The Witcher on my ancient computer with a resolution of 1280x1024, and graphical options between middle and high. The game worked fine even on the 1.2 patch.My configuration was :- AMD Sempron 3000+- 1,5 GB DDRam PC3200- NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT OC edition- Samsung SpinPoint 7200 rpm 16moNow that I have a new Laptop, I tried The Witcher on it, only with the 1.2 patch.My configuration :- AMD Turion 64 X2 (Mobile) 1,9GHZ- 2 GB DDRam2- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS- HDD 5400 rpmAnd my game run better on the ancient computer than this one...With my laptop, the game slows down even in 800x600 with all the option on middle.... o_OI don't think this is normal, I downloaded one of the latest nvidia driver (modified for my laptop) and I have configurated the AMD dual core patchs for windows.When I run the game, the first core is always at 100% and the second between 5 and 10 % at his capacity.And even with all the options on low, there are little freezes constantly... This isn't really freezes but, when Geralt run, every 1,2 or 3 seconds the game speed up and slow down in less than a second, especially in the city.I'm in the chapter two, and when I go to the forest, the game realy slow down, I don't know why... my computer is better than the ancient x( !!!Is this my Hard Drive Disk ? Or the CPU ?... This can't be my graphical cards I think. Maybe... I got some graphical errors in cut scenes, sometimes the game freez and then it continues with flashy colors, like if my video card was too hot.
Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !I will look into it !

It's really simple. The OP chose to downgrade video from a GT to only an "M" version GS, which is comparatively weak and slow next to a GT. The 7600 GT is superior, and I have been surprised to find that the (desktop) 8600 GT doesn't always beat the 7600 GT. I'd been thinking that the critics of the 8600 GT had little to complain about, but there are some older games that the 8600 just doesn't do as well on. Very possibly, the modified Aurora engine includes some bias for older video, same as those other older games, but the "GS" *is* intended to be slower than a "GT", and then you throw in the de-tuning done to make an M version out of the desktop card (done to save on battery drain), and it's almost silly to expect the laptop to keep up with that desktop card.

TheKiwi said:
It's really simple. The OP chose to downgrade video from a GT to only an "M" version GS, which is comparatively weak and slow next to a GT. The 7600 GT is superior, and I have been surprised to find that the (desktop) 8600 GT doesn't always beat the 7600 GT. I'd been thinking that the critics of the 8600 GT had little to complain about, but there are some older games that the 8600 just doesn't do as well on. Very possibly, the modified Aurora engine includes some bias for older video, same as those other older games, but the "GS" *is* intended to be slower than a "GT", and then you throw in the de-tuning done to make an M version out of the desktop card (done to save on battery drain), and it's almost silly to expect the laptop to keep up with that desktop card.
Yeah I thought this way too but... My 8600M GS work better on many games than my ancient 7600 GT (like Unreal 3, Call of Duty 4, NFS ProStreet, Command and Conquer 3 and so...). And like you say, it's really possible that this video card isn't better than the 7600GT on older games, but The Witcher is recent, so... I d'ont really know :SI sent you what you asked Mobidoy ;)

Could the processor be the issue. I have a Turion on my laptop, but my understanding is that they sacrefice proformance for less heat,and better power management.

Most laptops are configured to save battery, hence gfx card and cpu do not run at their maximum unless you plugin the power cord, even then you might have to manually change the settings to maximum performance. For example if you enter your display settings then advanced and then geforce tab, then look for something named PowerMizer, there you can choose for example maximum energy saving, balanced, or maximum performance, there might or might not be similar settings for the cpu somewhere too. Also laptops tends to run very hot so I guess there is some automatic slowdown of the cpu and gfx chip until it runs cool again.The hd in your new laptop is much slower. I remember reading somewhere about buggy nvidia drivers, don't recall which version, where in the fan was not working like it should, it never increased its speed during load so the card ran very hot, the driver was pulled quickly from the download page, though and old version was available for download again.

Top Bottom