Increase in temperature and usage of CPU and GPU after patch 1.10

+
Increase in temperature and usage of CPU and GPU after patch 1.10

Hello,

Details:

Platform: PC

Version : 1.10

Issue : increase in temperatures of CPU and GPU with a noticeable increase in GPU usage , along with a drop in the average frame rate (~ 3 FPS)

Temperatures on patch 1.07 - CPU - 84C , 86C (when GPU is OC'd)
GPU - 80 C 81C (when GPU is OC'd)

Temperatures on patch 1.10 - CPU - 92 C
GPU - 90 C

Ambient temperature ~ 30 C
Places tested : Velen ,Skellige

PC specs : Lenovo y50-70 , 860m , 353.00 . Settings - ( high preset , medium shadows , low BG characters , HBAO+)

Thanks!

Increase in temperature that still falls within operating limits is no sign of a bug. All it means is the changes in that patch increase the work done by the CPU and the GPU. This is to be expected and no reason for a tech support request.

Increase in temperature that still falls within operating limits is no sign of a bug. All it means is the changes in that patch increase the work done by the CPU and the GPU. This is to be expected and no reason for a tech support request.

sorry for not including this

My question is , is it a bug causing these high temperatures ? because I personally dont see much improvement in the visuals to correspond such a large temp increase

Also , I wouldn't call 93+C operating by any means ....i do understand that the throttling temps are around 95 C , but surely almost a 10C jump is not to be taken slightly eps if there is very little improvement

There were various changes in things such as streaming, and loading. But as Guy said, if your PC is still within the operating range, then it's not a bug (and, to be honest, if it ISN'T in operating range, you should probably be doing something about that OC.)

There were various changes in things such as streaming, and loading. But as Guy said, if your PC is still within the operating range, then it's not a bug (and, to be honest, if it ISN'T in operating range, you should probably be doing something about that OC.)

Thanks for your reply ,

The thing is that , the temperatures after the 1.10 patch are without an OC

Though the official temp limit is 95 C -100C , it isnt exactly healthy , and certainly leads to decrease in the lifespan of my components

I do admit , I see less amount of NPC/texture pop ins and loading times , but 10C rise is quite appalling .

Can you confirm with someone if this is a bug or not? Guessing that you guys are gamers yourself , would you like to see your rig run 10 C hotter ( in its 90s)?

Thanks again!

Not a bug. Not causing hardware to perform outside its operating limits, not failing to perform in accordance with changes intentionally made.

As long as it's in the defined safe range, I expect it to work as hard as necessary. I don't buy graphics cards or CPUs just so they can sit around idle :)

And I live in the tropics. My ambient temperatures are already around 20 degrees higher than yours. I'm seeing high '70s for GPU on the latest patch in TW3. My CPU is water-cooled so not that relevant.

And mobile GPUs tend to be designed to run hotter than desktop, simply because they HAVE to. By definition, the safe range is just that. The range of temperatures at which the device is designed to operate.

Thanks for your reply ,

The thing is that , the temperatures after the 1.10 patch are without an OC

Though the official temp limit is 95 C -100C , it isnt exactly healthy , and certainly leads to decrease in the lifespan of my components

I do admit , I see less amount of NPC/texture pop ins and loading times , but 10C rise is quite appalling .

Can you confirm with someone if this is a bug or not? Guessing that you guys are gamers yourself , would you like to see your rig run 10 C hotter ( in its 90s)?

Thanks again!

Applying proper cooling in your PC setup is your own responsibility, not game developers'.

Applying proper cooling in your PC setup is your own responsibility, not game developers'.

Seriously mate ? do you really think that the minute i installed 11.10 , my fans automatically clogged up and my thermal paste dried up? Please do read the post before replying

Seriously mate ? do you really think that the minute i installed 11.10 , my fans automatically clogged up and my thermal paste dried up? Please do read the post before replying

I'm not denying that 1.10 may have changed the way CPU and GPU get utilized and therefore are made to work harder and generate more heat.
What I AM saying is that you can't come here complaining about your components getting too hot. That is a clear indication that your cooling solution in your PC setup is insufficient.

As long as it's in the defined safe range, I expect it to work as hard as necessary. I don't buy graphics cards or CPUs just so they can sit around idle :)

And I live in the tropics. My ambient temperatures are already around 20 degrees higher than yours. I'm seeing high '70s for GPU on the latest patch in TW3. My CPU is water-cooled so not that relevant.

And mobile GPUs tend to be designed to run hotter than desktop, simply because they HAVE to. By definition, the safe range is just that. The range of temperatures at which the device is designed to operate.

You must be in the sahara(or malasia and its surroundings) ........ the max temp in summer i got was 44C , and i live 8 N above the equator

All I am saying that is that a 10C rise in temperature with visuals no corresponding increase in visuals might be due to a bug which draws/squanders CPU/GPU power ( i am getting 84 C and 80C on GPU and CPU in AC syndicate and GTA V)

Not a bug. Not causing hardware to perform outside its operating limits, not failing to perform in accordance with changes intentionally made.

Seriously guy no offense but you sound redtapeish , after all its just 93 C right?( I have no head room in computing power , so generally if there are improvements visually / in calculations I experience a frame drop , not temp increase.. A lot of people are having this problem with 1.10)

Oh well , close this thread if nothing constructive is gonna be added .

---------- Updated at 08:03 PM ----------

I'm not denying that 1.10 may have changed the way CPU and GPU get utilized and therefore are made to work harder and generate more heat.
What I AM saying is that you can't come here complaining about your components getting too hot. That is a clear indication that your cooling solution in your PC setup is insufficient.

Repasted 1 month back with arctic silver (5??) and i built a custom cooling pad for it. Sorry if i was a bit rude back there , but i treat my laptop extremely well .....so i got a bit angry.

PS- i get lower temps on AC syndicate and GTA V ,( both have 50% CPU / 100% GPU usage - the same as Witcher 3 before and after the patch 1.10, and for the first time , my gpu temps were higher than my CPUs- a tend which seemed to be reflected in most rigs)
Cheers!

Last edited:
I never see temps over 65°C on my rig. It must be something in your config. Try downloading Afterburner and manually setting a better fan speed curve. Also, limit your FPS to 60 (or lower) and turn vsync ON. You can set a non-standard FPS through user.settings, if you want to aim for the 40's or 50's.

Top Bottom