Infinite black loading screen After Talking to Prisoner in bar in 'The Great Escape'

+
Infinite black loading screen After Talking to Prisoner in bar in 'The Great Escape'

After talking to the contact at Crippled Kate's, the game goes to a black loading screen and stays there infinitely. I've tried loading alternate saves and this happens every time.

Some googling gets hits from 2015 saying this is an issue with Yenefer's alternate costume and not to use it but the problem is I don't have it turned on! This is a big problem and I have no idea how to proceed :(

Sounds like an installation issue. What / how did you install? (Meaning: GOTY, Standard Game + Expansions + individual Free DLC, Standard Game + Season Pass...?)

Easiest step is run a verify / repair on Steam / GOG / Origin. (Ensure none of your files are set to "Read only".)

A very common issue arises if I've installed any, individual DLC then installed the Season Pass on top of that. (So, if I bought the original game in 2015, then downloaded some of the Free DLCs individually, then bought Hearts of Stone, then installed the Season Pass at later date...it can cause conflicts. If that's the case, and verify / repair doesn't work, best bet is to back up your saves and reinstall only the "GOTY Edition", which is the same as Standard Game upgraded to 1.31 + Season Pass.)

Either way, once you explain your setup, we should be able to clear it up (if that's what's causing it...:rolleyes:)

Alternatively...using any mods, or have you ever used any?

Hi, I'm using the GOTY edition on GoG through gog galaxy and I don't have any mods installed! I'm playing through for the first time. I guess I can do a repair on the files and see if anything changes.

I'm not sure... Let's just do the normal battery of stuff. (Do the verify / repair again where it occurs in the list.)

1.) Try turning Vsync = On. Several game functions are tied to accurate frame-timing, and running with unlimited FPS can introduce odd issues.

2.) Be sure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). These are protected directories in Windows and it can introduce issues, even using standard Administrator accounts. Best bet is to install all games to the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation, i.e. C:\The Witcher 3\... or C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3\... If this step applies, repair through Galaxy again after the move.

3.) Add the game to the exceptions list for your anti-virus, firewall, etc.

4.) Set the game's .EXE to "Run as administrator". If using Windows 10, be sure that the Permissions for the game's folder and the ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder are set to "Everyone".

Let's see if that changes anything.

Top Bottom