Insane Grind for Journey Cosmetics with 175 Levels?

+
While I don't in any way agree that Reward Points, Ore, Card Scraps, or Meteorite Powder are "junk", as they enable players to increase their card collection, and isn't that the most important aspect of the game. Still, there are other ways to go about giving bonus rewards for reaching levels above and beyond the end of the Journey (i.e. level 100).

From what I've seen, most people have a problem with including unique collectibles as a reward for excessive grinding, but this means that something that is also for sale in the shop would be an acceptable reward for overachievers. Plus, they could always give out Premium kegs, or better yet, since this is the Ciri Journey, they could have the final rewards be one or more of the Legendary Ciri cards, either regular or Premium. Any of these ideas would satisfy the "overachievers", as you put it, while not upsetting any of the regular players at the same time.

This response a subjective opinion that is not fact and completely disagree with for reasons stated previously

Two additional comments in reference.

- There are many reasons it can be considered junk here is just two.

when compared beside collectable that not "everyone" can get.

given the generous nature of the devs on handing that that stuff out you could have a surplus of all "currency" any more you get (including your card example) could be considered junk as to be "fair" you need to consider people with full collections as well.

- Thank you for again playing the "player mad card" and adding even more validity to my study.

"while not upsetting any of the regular players at the same time."

again "players mad " is only relevant if statistically significant when compared to the entire player base as a whole and then also compared to the acquisition rate / churn rate of players.

If the net result of the player base affected is not beyond a reasonable variance then "player mad" is not an issue and falls into "you can't please everyone all the time"

Last edited:
again "players mad " is only relevant if statistically significant when compared to the entire player base as a whole and then also compared to the acquisition rate / churn rate of players.

If the net result of the player base affected is not beyond a reasonable variance then "player mad" is not an issue and falls into "you can't please everyone all the time"
Well, I think that there's always room for improvement. Even if it turns out that over half of the people who purchased the Ciri Journey were completely satisfied, that in no way means that CDPR should necessarily keep things exactly the same in future Journeys. Why settle for only 50% customer satisfaction if they can potentially achieve 60, 70, or even 80%, especially if it doesn't cost CDPR significantly more time or effort to do so?

Well, I think that there's always room for improvement. Even if it turns out that over half of the people who purchased the Ciri Journey were completely satisfied, that in no way means that CDPR should necessarily keep things exactly the same in future Journeys. Why settle for only 50% customer satisfaction if they can potentially achieve 60, 70, or even 80%, especially if it doesn't cost CDPR significantly more time or effort to do so?

IMO

-I personally think you are overestimating the "mad" people.

- an adverse effect of your suggestion could also increase the % of mad people or just "replace" one subset of "mad players " with a different subset of "mad players" that don't like the change ( people with the same views as myself) resulting in a positive effect , net 0 difference or greater loss.

- You must also consider possibility only 10-20% are unsatisfied as well and the may already have the "80 %" you spoke about.

As the devs are not likely to release these types of metrics the fact is really any further discussion /speculation is pointless as no definitive answer can ever be achieved by the "public".

IMO

-I personally think you are overestimating the "mad" people.

- an adverse effect of your suggestion could also increase the % of mad people or just "replace" one subset of "mad players " with a different subset of "mad players" that don't like the change ( people with the same views as myself) resulting in a positive effect , net 0 difference or greater loss.

- You must also consider possibility only 10-20% are unsatisfied as well and the may already have the "80 %" you spoke about.

As the devs are not likely to release these types of metrics the fact is really any further discussion /speculation is pointless as no definitive answer can ever be achieved by the "public".

Clearly you are unfamiliar with the concept of polling. You don’t need access to the entire player base to get a sample size for the player base. The people who take the time to sign up for and comment on the boards are more likely than not to be the more dedicated players. Moreover the very fact that rewards were added above 100 tells you that the devs listen to the boards and the player base. Another example is the Gaunter‘s change in reward points. The devs treat the boards as representatives of the player base. It is both illogical and unpersuasive to ignore the opinions of the board. If you want better data, start an actual poll on a separate thread.

This whole issue appears to be an illustration of how CDPR cannot win. People complained mightily about how the first Journey stopped dropping rewards after level 100. So CDPR made awards available through level 170. Now people complain that Journey can’t be completed. Maybe I’m missing something but to me the vehemence of this debate is very unfair. How about some positive suggestions?

This whole issue appears to be an illustration of how CDPR cannot win. People complained mightily about how the first Journey stopped dropping rewards after level 100. So CDPR made awards available through level 170. Now people complain that Journey can’t be completed. Maybe I’m missing something but to me the vehemence of this debate is very unfair. How about some positive suggestions?

People complained because the rewards after level 100 were worse than the original daily reward system. No one asked for more cosmetics, just more RPs.

People complained because the rewards after level 100 were worse than the original daily reward system. No one asked for more cosmetics, just more RPs.

I agree. I am a new player (since May 2020) and I don't really lack ore or scraps actually, but I feel I will never have enough RPs, and that in the past I could have earn more RPs while playing less (and tbh I like the game BUT I have to work, things like that, and I can't afford to play 2h+ each day to obtain all well rested bonus).

When I see how many RPs you need to complete the reward book, with the addition of 3 monthly trees each new month, it feels impossible to complete even with a huge playtime.

I agree. I am a new player (since May 2020) and I don't really lack ore or scraps actually, but I feel I will never have enough RPs, and that in the past I could have earn more RPs while playing less (and tbh I like the game BUT I have to work, things like that, and I can't afford to play 2h+ each day to obtain all well rested bonus).

When I see how many RPs you need to complete the reward book, with the addition of 3 monthly trees each new month, it feels impossible to complete even with a huge playtime.

Having more prestige will help with that. Not only do I sometimes get RP in GG for being at prestige 10. But I get 2 RP minimum on my daily quests with a possibility of 3-4 if the quests themselves offer RP. With reshuffle the average is about 3 RP per daily. You are not meant to finish the reward book in a year or two, it is meant to be a long term project spanning years and keeping you playing for opportunity to make progress. Also remember, it won’t always be 3 new trees per month. Beginning in January you will find four trees (the one associated with the month of January, plus the 2019, 2020, and 2021 person of the month tree.) But once you get back to May, 3 of those trees will pick up where you left off. Eventually you will have all the seasonal trees tamed and can move on from there.

Having more prestige will help with that. Not only do I sometimes get RP in GG for being at prestige 10. But I get 2 RP minimum on my daily quests with a possibility of 3-4 if the quests themselves offer RP. With reshuffle the average is about 3 RP per daily. You are not meant to finish the reward book in a year or two, it is meant to be a long term project spanning years and keeping you playing for opportunity to make progress. Also remember, it won’t always be 3 new trees per month. Beginning in January you will find four trees (the one associated with the month of January, plus the 2019, 2020, and 2021 person of the month tree.) But once you get back to May, 3 of those trees will pick up where you left off. Eventually you will have all the seasonal trees tamed and can move on from there.

Yup, I'm aware of that. I'm currently prestige 4 with ~500h of playtime so I have yet to reach this point of more RP rewards.

I'm just thinking that the game is pretty generous with ore and scraps (I can make any meta decks) but that you could earn RPs more easily => the balance between the two could be adjusted, more RPs earned, less ressources for each RPs spent could be fine, something like that.

As a completionist, this game can be a nightmare :D

- Indeed... you're right mate, the reward book is meant to be treated as a really really long term progression system.
This system is fairly balanced imo, feels rewarding and interesting to complete since it offers a good amount of Witcher lore aswell.

- I'm at prestige 3 atm and the daily quest reroll is one of the best privileges you get for leveling up your prestige. Doesn't really help with the grind since it doesn't offer crowns but it's great to have to say the least ! :)

Beginning in January you will find four trees (the one associated with the month of January, plus the 2019, 2020, and 2021 person of the month tree.)
I would like to point out that this probably will not be true.

Trees from 2019 returned in 2020 only after community riot as CDPR promised in 2019 that these trees will return but they did not.

At this time CDPR did not promise similar thing for 2021.

rrc

Forum veteran
I would like to point out that this probably will not be true.

Trees from 2019 returned in 2020 only after community riot as CDPR promised in 2019 that these trees will return but they did not.

At this time CDPR did not promise similar thing for 2021.
And I vaguely remember that Slama explicitly mentioned somewhere that this years seasonal trees WILL NOT return next year.

And I vaguely remember that Slama explicitly mentioned somewhere that this years seasonal trees WILL NOT return next year.

That will cause the same uproar that happened this time. Why in the world would you choose to do something to anger your player base when they are already this angry.

That will cause the same uproar that happened this time.
I do not think the result of such uproar in 2021 will be the same.
In 2019 CDPR precisely stated that these trees will return but they did not.
In 2020 CDPR did not state that at all and even made remarks @rrc mentioned.

I do not think the result of such uproar in 2021 will be the same.
In 2019 CDPR precisely stated that these trees will return but they did not.
In 2020 CDPR did not state that at all and even made remarks @rrc mentioned.
What is the value of withholding them from new players or punishing players who missed them during the year they were available. Seems like a bad call with more downside than upside.

What is the value of withholding them from new players or punishing players who missed them during the year they were available. Seems like a bad call with more downside than upside.
$$$ is the CDPR's reason most probably. They've already offered skins from seasonal trees in the shop.

I am wondering if anyone else has an issue with or is dissapointed by the crazy grind that was created by increasing the Journey from 100 levels to 175 if you want to unlock some of the top cosmetics for Ciri.
This takes it, IMO, from an enjoyable event into a stupid grind that has you playing for hours each day for 3 months if you want to get the best cosmetics; or alternatively you need to spend around $70 extra to compensate for the levels going to 175 instead of the standard 100.

After Slama said they would allow leveling after lvl 100 and give 2 reward points for each level that sounded great; in case you finish early you have some extra points to play for. Why not keep it at that? Why move the cosmetics all the way to level 175 and in effect put them behind a huge pay wall or insane grind wall? Why sour the whole Journey by this? It makes zero sense to me, but would love to hear what other players think of this.

For the details on the numbers a detailed calculation was done by Lexard here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/i3lr3z
"Journey lasts 92 days. Last meaningful level is 175.
175/92 = ~2 levels/day.
You can get ~6 levels/week from quests, that leaves ~8 levels/week to get by playing the game.

more detailed info:
We need: 175 levels = 175 x 24 crowns = 4200 crowns.
Daily bonus crowns: 92 days = 92 x 28 doubled crowns = 2576 crowns.
Weekly quests: 12 weeks = 12 x 6 x 20 crowns = 1440 crowns.
We will get: 2576 + 1440 = 4016 crowns.
We will miss: 4200 - 4016 = 184 crowns = 2 crowns/day.
Conclusion: If somebody wants 175 levels without more $$$ then he/she needs to win 16 rounds/day.

for F2P players:
They will miss: 12 x 3 x 20 crowns = 720 crowns (from weekly quests) = another ~8 crowns/day (7.83 rounds/day).
Conclusion: If F2P players want 175 levels then they need to win ~24 rounds/day (23.83 rounds/day)."

This is the same old tactic used by other games. Create a problem and offer a solution. Do an insane grind and offer a possibility to pay to skip the insane grind. Like Assassin Creed Odyssey for example.
Post automatically merged:

You, and everyone else saying the same thing, are basically complaining that they put in additional rewards compared to the previous Journey. There is exactly nothing wrong with having incentive to play a lot, because it's all optional.

Last Journey many were complaining that after reaching level 100 the game was less rewarding, and now that the devs fixed the problem people complain that it's too difficult to obtain the top-tier rewards intended for players who do plan to play a lot.

The devs just cannot win, can they. :giveup:
[/QUOTput
You, and everyone else saying the same thing, are basically complaining that they put in additional rewards compared to the previous Journey. There is exactly nothing wrong with having incentive to play a lot, because it's all optional.

Last Journey many were complaining that after reaching level 100 the game was less rewarding, and now that the devs fixed the problem people complain that it's too difficult to obtain the top-tier rewards intended for players who do plan to play a lot.

The devs just cannot win, can they. :giveup:

Put scraps, ore, dust, kegs but NOT cosmetics as extra reward. Players who can't play this game all the time or don't have the money to pay to skip the grind should have the possibility to get an extra skin for Ciri in a reasonable playtime.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom