Insider says there was a graphics downgrade.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... This is just extremely sad.
I'd rather wait 1-2 more years and have them release this game only for consoles first, get tons of money for it then work on a separate build for PC that looked like it should be looking after they have the money and won't go bankrupt or whatever, steam would cover those costs as well.
Or the opposite, like Witcher 2, PC first, then tone down everything from there and build the console versions, it is tons of work but not such a huge fuss as making everything from scratch, toning down is easier in comparison.

The consoles are close enough to PC that making them all is cost effective, smarter, and works. Plenty of other games have done it, with the PC version looking amazing.

So...it's not like it's an either / or situation. The process CAN work.

I hope this won't get locked like all the other recent threads discussing GFX. It's frankly insulting that on the Polish board it can be discussed freely while here threads are closed left and right.

to be fair, we don't know how they're discussing things over there. maybe there are less fake accounts and unsupported claims being thrown around

• RED Point
Reactions: reh
As far as I know a PC can be tuned in ways a console may not, and probably never will. You truly go next gen on consoles, there is always a custom built PC taking it further. Always. Of course, developing for three different platforms there will be differences, and priorities, in development.

I used to get riled up by these things, as I am and always will be a PC user. Nowadays I'm just glad I will get the game at all, because there are a lot of publishers out there wanting to skip sales to PC entirely.

So I don't know if there is truth to this at all, and I don't care either. Let mods sort it out. Besides I trust CDPR and the Enhanced editions of Witcher 1 and 2 speak in their favour.

Them making only 1 build now to all 3 platforms just proves that they don't have to make 3 separate builds... Xbox and PS4 are very close to each other basically, they could share a build like now, PC could go a different way instead...

• RED Point
Them making only 1 build now to all 3 platforms just proves that they don't have to make 3 separate builds... Xbox and PS4 are very close to each other basically, they could share a build like now, PC could go a different way instead...
Or they could make the PC version and then reduce settings for consoles, as every decent developer does

• RED Point
Well, Consoles holding back PCs once again. What else is new. I am glad that at least the game itself is not a train wreck like Watch Dogs. Hopefully they'll won't do exact same thing with Cyberpunk 2077.

I posted this on the screenshot thread but I believe it has its place here.

After looking at the comparison pictures I think I've found out the main reason behind the downgraded look : parallax (or something similar). Here is an example of what it does :

As you can see it turns a flat texture into something awesome. How do you do that ? Well from my experience it's just a complementary file that comes with the texture and which creates that effect (further explanation : the mesh links to that "parallax" file). So it would be 100% consistent with CDPR announcement that textures are identical to all platforms because parallax is just an additional layer that you can include or not (I'd guess consoles don't have that particular parallax file).

Now give a quick look at this, especially the building on the right, and you'll see that the main difference is texture depth : http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/51,96455,17905381.html?i=3
On the above picture you can see depth, the building looks awesome and real. On the lower picture the textures are identical but it looks flat and "gamey".

Same goes for the wall on the left here : http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/51,96455,17905381.html?i=1

If you multiply that parallax effect with all the textures ingame you can have a quite different experience. Of course the lighting is also different and might not be to everybody's taste but that's easily fixable with sweet fx.

Now I'm not sure it's an explanation for grass too but at least it can probably put some light on a few things and the overall downgraded aspect.

And as a final point, a lot of cool effects like volumetric clouds, fire smoke or animal furs come from nvidia (see this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g) so it would explain why it's not on the latest trailers : 1st because consoles are on amd hardware (not nvidia), and 2nd because they want to show the game as it will be played by the majority (parity thing).
Call me an optimistic but overall I believe the vgx trailer look will be mostly achievable, with a few downs here and there probably.

I fell like a lot of people don't realize that bringing Witcher 3 on consoles helps them make more money for future even more ambitious projects like Cyberpunk. If it was PC only game a lot of people would just pirate it. CDPR almost bunkrupt before realising Witcher 2.

Source? Sale figures etc?

They delayed the game twice and it still has optimization problems. I get it that for financial reasons they couldn't delay it again, but they should have come clean about the downgrade, instead of half truths and Stalinist forum moderation

The consoles are close enough to PC that making them all is cost effective, smarter, and works. Plenty of other games have done it, with the PC version looking amazing.

So...it's not like it's an either / or situation. The process CAN work.

No, there is a huge downgrade caused by consoles. That is how it "works".

Sounds about right.

Tbh, it was obvious that it was coming the moment the decision to get in bed with console market and then in cahoots with M$ was made. Consoles taint and corrupt everything they touch.We see the dawn of a new Bioware. What a disgrace. What a shame. Shame on you, CDPRoject.Shame on you. You forgot WHO made you the company you are now. But we won't.

Watchdogs, Crysis, Thief, Hitman, etc etc

Consoles will destroy everything they touch. That is reality. If there weren't any consoles the industry would be much more healthy

STOP DOING THIS TO ME. Every time when someone mentions Thief reboot my heart breaks... Greatest stealth franchise of all time dumbed down for dummies.

They delayed the game twice and it still has optimization problems. I get it that for financial reasons they couldn't delay it again, but they should have come clean about the downgrade, instead of half truths and Stalinist forum moderation

The game will sell regardless. This is the world we live in. Sometimes I wish I could do more, but I think it's time for me to stop playing games. I don't accept this.

I posted this on the screenshot thread but I believe it has its place here.

After looking at the comparison pictures I think I've found out the main reason behind the downgraded look : parallax (or something similar). Here is an example of what it does :

As you can see it turns a flat texture into something awesome. How do you do that ? Well from my experience it's just a complementary file that comes with the texture and which creates that effect (further explanation : the mesh links to that "parallax" file). So it would be 100% consistent with CDPR announcement that textures are identical to all platforms because parallax is just an additional layer that you can include or not (I'd guess consoles don't have that particular parallax file).

Now give a quick look at this, especially the building on the right, and you'll see that the main difference is texture depth : http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/51,96455,17905381.html?i=3
On the above picture you can see depth, the building looks awesome and real. On the lower picture the textures are identical but it looks flat and "gamey".

Same goes for the wall on the left here : http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/51,96455,17905381.html?i=1

If you multiply that parallax effect with all the textures ingame you can have a quite different experience. Of course the lighting is also different and might not be to everybody's taste but that's easily fixable with sweet fx.

Now I'm not sure it's an explanation for grass too but at least it can probably put some light on a few things and the overall downgraded aspect.

And as a final point, a lot of cool effects like volumetric clouds, fire smoke or animal furs come from nvidia (see this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g) so it would explain why it's not on the latest trailers : 1st because consoles are on amd hardware (not nvidia), and 2nd because they want to show the game as it will be played by the majority (parity thing).
Call me an optimistic but overall I believe the vgx trailer look will be mostly achievable, with a few downs here and there probably.

I agree with you. And even if we can't right of the hat, modders will take the matter in their hands and soon we'll see 4k textures replacements, ENB's with parallax features, volumetric fog etc.

Are you cancelling?

No, I am not cancelling my pre-order. The Witcher 3 will still be a great game regardless. I just think it is a shame they might have had to downgrade the graphics because of the consoles. I am also a bit upset that they "might" be lying to us about the downgrade.

It is just all the secrecy and PR babble talk that does not make me happy. I will still play the game and enjoy it.

I guess they could, but I wouldn't know. I have no idea what these developments cost individually. Let alone management of these builds. It's surely an endeavour no doubt.

The more I see threats from players (like we PC players did you...we won't forget) ...the more i'm losing faith on gamers as mature class of customers. Figure then they don't take gaming seriously in the society.....seeing these guys as a egotistical, spoiled and unreasonable kids....get your things together...even IF there was a downgrade it's not the end of the world. Quit whining and enjoy the game for what it is.....spoiled brats.

Last edited:
No, I am not cancelling my pre-order. The Witcher 3 will still be a great game regardless. I just think it is a shame they might have had to downgrade the graphics because of the consoles. I am also a bit upset that they "might" be lying to us about the downgrade.

It is just all the secrecy and PR babble talk that does not make me happy. I will still play the game and enjoy it.

What's been said, officially, about the 'downgrade"? What was officially stated on the matter?

You don't need to be an insider to notice the game has had changes. Some things improved, some things got worse. The game is still the best looking RPG to date, and probably the best looking open world game. If TW3 does really well CDPR will flourish and we can expect major improvements in their next games, they will have more man power, talent and budget to push the consoles a bit further, and perhaps spend more time on giving PC version more love.

The game looks good, subjectively not as good as it used to in some departments. If the story and gameplay is there, I could not care less. Remember CDPR is not some giant like Ubisoft, and they do not have the resources of Bioware being backed by EA. If TW3 is a major success and GoG grows, they will reach new heights. And imagine what they will be able to accomplish when they become a powerhouse like EAware or Bethesda. When they are already slowly beating them on their own turf.

Yeah well MY insider says that this was all orchestrated by Ubisoft who sent Damien Monnier in to sabotage the Witcher 3. Think about it... who stands to lose the most if the Witcher 3 becomes the premiere open world game? Ubisoft. Ubisoft is based in France. Damien Monnier is french. Who use to work for Sony? Damien Monnier.

Take off the horse blinders people, the facts don't lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom