Installation Failed: Disk Access Problem

+
Installation Failed: Disk Access Problem

To whom it may concern ,

I never had this problem before. I can play The Witcher 1 & 2 and not 3 even though it said installation failed: disk access problem on all three of them. I don't know what went wrong here. My SSD Drive Health Status is good. What i believe is when GOG Galaxy Patch and/or GOTY Edition came out, something went wrong in that time frame.

Thank you,

LuckyCat

Oh wow, now i cant play The Witcher series games. I wonder if this still applied to other different games as well. That's not good.

Have you verified the files? It's always the first thing to check.

Yes I did many times, Yesterday, every few hours to see if there's any change, but nothing changed. I even reinstall The Witcher 1 to test it out see if it work... before I reinstall The Witcher 3. Still no luck. I still get Installation Failed: Disk Access Problem.

---------- Updated at 11:33 PM ----------

Also, I just tried different method by installing different game from GOG Galaxy directly. I got the same message: Installation Failed: Disk Access Problem. That means i can no longer play/download games from GOG Galaxy.

P.S. The Witcher 1, I already had manual download Game Backup Copy on my computer. That's how i was able to reinstall The Witcher 1.

I had the same issue, it may be unique to SSD users. Here's the GOG thread on it where a fix was proposed, but I couldn't find the file he was talking about:

https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witch...n_failed_disk_access_problem_during_patch_130

I uninstalled galaxy and TW3, then reinstalled just TW3...that still didn't work. So I basically can't access the game at all, lol. First time ever for a GoG game. For now, no Galaxy for me. This is why I usually avoid clients.

There's an awful lot of installations to get through if you're not using Galaxy. You all sure you didn't miss any?
I never use Galaxy. I do, however, use a checklist :)
I think this is correct, but @SigilFey - maybe you could ask CDPR to confirm?
Installations should probably be in the sequence listed...

1. Updating from 1.24
- Witcher 3 Patch 1.24->1.30*
- DLCPatch 1.30***
- HoS Patch 1.30***
- B&W Patch 1.30***
(Total of four installations)

2. Installing from scratch.
- Witcher 3 1.10*
- Witcher 3 Patch 1.10->1.22*
- Witcher 3 Patch 1.22->1.24*
- DLC 1.22**
- HoS 1.22**
- B&W Patch 1.22**
- Witcher 3 Patch 1.24->1.30*
- DLCPatch 1.22->1.30***
- HoS Patch 1.22->1.30***
- B&W Patch 1.22->1.30***
(Total of ten installations)

* Available using the Gog Downloader
** Available using the Gog Downloader, just ignore the fact that they're described as Mac OS X :).
*** Not available using the Gog Downloader, so you'll need to do them manually from the main library links.

PS: Yes, it worked for me.

Last edited:
Long story short... After I finished troubleshooting, I finally managed to solve the installation failed: disk access problem. I even restarted the computer to check and see if it still there, and it wasn't.

Here's how I did it:
I completely uninstalled the GOG Galaxy Application off my computer and reinstalled the GOG Galaxy, setup_galaxy_1.1.14.5 .

How to uninstall the GOG Galaxy:

1. GOG Galaxy path is C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\unins000.exe (depends on the user's path where the user installed the GOG Galaxy)

2. I even deleted the Folder C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient after I uninstalled it.

3.Install GOG Galaxy 1.1.14.5

This is what worked for me.
So, The way I see it is that the GOG Galaxy is the problem and not GOTY The Witcher Edition patch 1.30 I believe.

Last edited:
I never use Galaxy. I do, however, use a checklist
I think this is correct, but @SigilFey - maybe you could ask CDPR to confirm?

Check! I will double check your checklist to ensure it all checks our and then check back in.

Nice checklist! I haven't made a The Witcher 3 Backup Copy yet, which ill do soon.

A suggestion - move each installation set into its own folder, and name the folder according to the installation sequence. Mine are named "1 - Witcher base 1.10", "2 - Witcher 3 Patch 1.21" and so on. That way, if you ever need to reinstall from scratch, you'll know the sequence too. Also, it makes it easier to work out which to discard if CDPR ever consolidate the patches.

I did that around Patch 1.22, after getting totally confused over exactly WHAT all of these installation sets were and eventually giving up and downloading a fresh set.

A suggestion - move each installation set into its own folder, and name the folder according to the installation sequence. Mine are named "1 - Witcher base 1.10", "2 - Witcher 3 Patch 1.21" and so on. That way, if you ever need to reinstall from scratch, you'll know the sequence too. Also, it makes it easier to work out which to discard if CDPR ever consolidate the patches.

I did that around Patch 1.22, after getting totally confused over exactly WHAT all of these installation sets were and eventually giving up and downloading a fresh set.

Interesting, I kind of did....

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Installation ( Main Folder )
-----1. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (Sub Folder)
Patch (Folder)
Application***
BIN File*** ( 7 BIN Files)

-----2. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, 16 DLC (Sub Folder)
Patch (Folder)
Application***

-----3. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Hearts of Stone (Sub Folder)
Patch (Folder)
Application***
BIN File***
BIN File ***

----- 4. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Blood and Wine (Sub Folder)
Patch (Folder)
Application***
BIN File***
BIN File ***
----------------------------------------------------------------------
*** no folders for Application and BIN File
Does it make sense? Or is it confusing

P.S Tab key doesn't work here. :'(

Last edited:
Depends - whatever works for you :)
I think your order is better for anyone who may decide to roll back, as it's nice and neat if you have a lot of patches.
Mine is simpler, and gives the installation sequence, but isn't good for roll back.

The important thing is really just to have SOMETHING that means you don't need to use Galaxy, and you don't need to redownload too much if there's a new patch.

Here's what I can offer based on my own experience with GOG over the years. (I have TW3 on Steam, so I can only help up to a point.)

I found Galaxy to be very temperamental in practice. I think things have gotten better, but you may want to ensure it's is fully up to date. Log out, restart your computer, and log back in by manually entering your name and password. Then, check to ensure that all parts of TW3 show up as fully installed / updated. Disable overlay features and try to get the game running in offline mode.

Personally, I uninstalled Galaxy and just use GOG.com directly. I prefer this anyway as I can save the actual installation files for future use, and I do almost all of my gaming offline (...have no interest in chat, achievements, or uploading "high scores", etc..) This works much more solidly, but it does require you to sort out / keep up with the GOG system of incremental updates. As a rule of thumb:

1.) Download every individual file for the game in question. Put all files for that program in a folder.

2.) Use the properties menu for the folder to "Sort by..." --> "Name". Do this until the incremental integers (i.e. whatever_2.0.1.4, whatever_2.0.1.7, whatever_2.1.0.3 etc.) are arranged from least to greatest. Some common sense rearrangement may be needed occasionally, as file names may not line up perfectly.

3.) Run each file from top to bottom. The important thing with GOG is not to skip anything. Some titles have quite a few files that must be individually downloaded and run. If a certain file was made obsolete at some point, or if it requires something else to be installed first, it should refuse work and generate a message about "Newer version detected" or "Incompatible version detected".

I know this is an old thread, but I just found another solution to this problem and thought I would add it for anyone in the future who like me had this problem, searched and found this thread.

The solution they found above didn't work for me.

Been trying to verify/repair my games all week, and was getting the same install fail disk access error; finally fixed it and now all of my games are updating like normal, no more error; here's what I did:

It turns out (in my case) the error was caused by a Windows 10 update, that for some unknown reason, changed the security settings of all of my folders on the same harddrive where GOG Galaxy was installed, making the folder "Read Only" thus blocking Galaxy from being able to update already installed games or downloading new games.

To fix it, I went to my GOG Galaxy Folder, right clicked, open Properties, unchecked the box Read Only, waited about 4 minutes while it updated subfolders; then, went to each game's folder (The Witcher 3 GoTY, Skid Row Gat Out of Hell, etc) and did the same thing (go to properties and uncheck Read Only, for each game).

After doing that I went back to Galaxy and was able to install new games, verify/repair old games, and download updates once again.

So in my case the error was not Galaxy itself, but rather a Win10 update messing with my folder settings and blocking Galaxy from accessing it's folders.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this error in the future.

I know this is an old thread, but I just found another solution to this problem and thought I would add it for anyone in the future who like me had this problem, searched and found this thread.

The solution they found above didn't work for me.

Been trying to verify/repair my games all week, and was getting the same install fail disk access error; finally fixed it and now all of my games are updating like normal, no more error; here's what I did:

It turns out (in my case) the error was caused by a Windows 10 update, that for some unknown reason, changed the security settings of all of my folders on the same harddrive where GOG Galaxy was installed, making the folder "Read Only" thus blocking Galaxy from being able to update already installed games or downloading new games.

To fix it, I went to my GOG Galaxy Folder, right clicked, open Properties, unchecked the box Read Only, waited about 4 minutes while it updated subfolders; then, went to each game's folder (The Witcher 3 GoTY, Skid Row Gat Out of Hell, etc) and did the same thing (go to properties and uncheck Read Only, for each game).

After doing that I went back to Galaxy and was able to install new games, verify/repair old games, and download updates once again.

So in my case the error was not Galaxy itself, but rather a Win10 update messing with my folder settings and blocking Galaxy from accessing it's folders.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this error in the future.

Now this is a good necro. (Waves the paladins off. They just stand there, frowning.)

Good rule of thumb for gaming on PC is never to install to protected directories. This includes the default Program Files and Program Files(x86) directories, as well as anything that falls under the Windows directory (like the Desktop). Instead, it's best to install games to root of your drive or a folder of your own creation on the root. So, for example:
C:\The Witcher 3\...
or
C:\MyRPGgames\The Wicther 3\...

Also, for Windows 10 users, go into ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... and be sure that the TW3 folder has its Permissions set to "Everyone".

Without these steps, certain levels of Windows security can prevent games from operating as intended. (Like accessing a spot on the disk to save your game. Windows may decide that's a "security risk" and just halt the process.)

Top Bottom