Instant win with Geralt Yrden should be addressed

+
I think that cards like Geralt Yrden ensuring a one turn win should be revamped for the sake of balance.

I have to admit, I use it in some decks myself just because it works too well. If I play against a growth deck - their strength just does not matter if I play Geralt Yrden on the last turn. Even if I played like crap, this card alone makes too much difference on the board.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Axii? Don't you mean Yrden?

Either way the card is fine.
Yes, it's about Yrden. Card ability: "Win a round if your opponent has a boosted enemy." (c) Selestes

This cards works too well, in this sense it is fine. I usually win with it and lose against it. :LOL:

Last edited:
There's a counterargument to this which is players that seek to create massive stacks of boosted units are putting all their eggs in one basket and therefore risk the wrath of Yrden or Igni.

If you didn't have the threat of these cards in the game, then it would simply become a matter of who can get the most engines going on the board wins.

You can play around it by not stacking all your boosts on one row. Removing it would make it impossible to deal with these boost decks. Now with devotion there's a legit tradeoff you have to make in order to use it. I really think it's fine.
I feel Cahir is way more cheap when it comes to anti-boost cards especially with a defender guarding him.

Like in the new "harmony"?
That's actually funny, to nerf a card which only is usefull in certain scenarios to match it the stupid re-design decision of harmony, by the developers.

Yrden is very expensive for what it does, and besides, most mosters decks prefer to bleed you. For a card that is very low tempo, you are taking a very high risk of getting completely wrecked by any tempo decks.
If yrden becomes meta by any chance, informed people are very likely to adapt and punish you by bleeding it out.

I think that cards like Geralt Yrden ensuring a one turn win should be revamped for the sake of balance.
What do you think?

I totally agree, this game should not have any tech options, No usurpers, no interactions that give significant advantage, and no Stone paper scissors matches where control beats engine, pointslam beats control. What we should have is the following. I play my highest provision card, you play yours highest provision card, imediate points, no setups, and no combos. If one combo's works too well, and I can't answer it, then it is binary.
Kudos to the developers for redesigning 1500 cards. Homecoming 2.0

Last edited:
It's not really an argument to say 'just dont stack your row duh'

Alot of boost cards are designed to force you to row stack e.g anna strenger, keira metz, reynard odo, temple guard etc giving you no choice in the matter.

Scoia'tael again have cards designed to take advantage of row stack e.g the great oak, or yaevinn

If yrden is to remain unchanged, then remove row stacking requirements on these other cards so that theres some counterplay.

It's a strange one. yrden is just not a consideration for me. Igni is something I worry about, and can adjust the heights of my tallest unit so I don't get hit for a silly line up.

But you can't really adjust for yrden, without forfeiting a lot of the points you would have got by row stacking, and potentially losing the game because of such an adjustment.

So I choose to roll the dice, and if Yrden comes it comes.

Guest 4404014

if winning a match depends on one boosted card,
it's not the games fault that you loose.

And whose fault is it if you wanna play deathwish or harmony? Or even if you don't wanna play them but find yourself stuck with your only deck in meta where you can't win because everyone packs Igni/Yrden?

The card is fine

Within the concept where one single card can deny a whole range of decks, Geralt: Cheese cards are indeed fine. It is only somewhat questionable if that concept is really fine. Many people disagree.

Like in the new "harmony"?
Well, Harmony has been too strong for months. Now, it may not be (though it is too early tell for sure). Maybe those traditional Harmony decks need to adapt to the new row-locked Harmony and perhaps this involves being a little less greedy and bringing in other options.

I wouldn't call Yrden OP, but it's a terrible card because it negates everything that was done by both players the entire game. Why did we do this whole exciting dance of tempo/math/card advantage calculations for 3 rounds, why did we have this intense battle of boost and damage, if you were just going to plop a card that resets everything back to its starting point? It makes the match seem like a giant waste of time.
Oh, I shouldn't stack rows? Sorry, but I play dwarves/elves/harmony. The developers MAKE me stack rows. It's the basis of the archetype.
That said, there isn't much to be done to actually "fix" it. One thing they could do is make it a perma-revealed card, so you can push round two into the bastard, or just forfeit early if you can't :D
p.s. Can't get into the builder just now because phone is updating, but how the fact that they removed "reset" keyword affect Yrden?

Come on ya1, I know you don't like Gigni, but you can't tell me this isn't a thing of beauty:

IMG_0070.PNG

Note I did actually line it up by using not one but two Natural Selections on the Endrega Warrior.

Last edited:
There's a counterargument to this which is players that seek to create massive stacks of boosted units are putting all their eggs in one basket and therefore risk the wrath of Yrden or Igni.

If you didn't have the threat of these cards in the game, then it would simply become a matter of who can get the most engines going on the board wins.

Still, that method of playing is far more competitive and fair. At this point, a lot of players rely on a very small number of overpowered cards to win games. Geralt: Yrden and Geralt: Igni are way too overpowered.

And even if you spread your boosted units to both rows, a player that has one of these cards can still turn the tide, provided the player accompanies it with a hefty deck.

The existence of these cards acts as incentive for players to rely on them too much, at the expense of actually building more varied decks and come up with different strategies. Most players will not seek a complex solution when you have a very easy and efficient one that brings you victories.

Guest 4368268

I think a card like Igni/Yrden generally means the deck its in will contain less removal in general.
I much prefer people taking a gamble on a Yrden and trying to get their own strategy off than decks like NR with Baron + Phil + Anseis + Falibor and so on. I think of it as a compensation card, as running it alongside control doesn't make sense.
Having said that I dislike the untelegraphed 'random Igni' as much as anyone. But it's still good it exists.

"Instant win with Yrden should be addressed"... Should it? As others have pointed out, there needs to be a counter to row buffing, otherwise those decks will run rampart. Furthermore, Yrden is a card that reacts to the opponent's play and it's situational whether or not it gets enough value. The issue is there is no real ceiling, just with like Igni. That's why you could theoretically swing for +100 points. However, that's not actually relevant. No, what matters is how many swing points you actually need to win and usually it's not that many. This means that other cards can make you win the game more reliably (but with less swing value), most of the time.

Top Bottom