Integrated Weapons

+
the idea of inergrated weapons of blades or projectile guns is a bit daft and when i say a bit i mean it would literally mean you are only as strong as your wrists since that is as far back as your hands could be anchored.

the idea of inergrated weapons of blades or projectile guns is a bit daft and when i say a bit i mean it would literally mean you are only as strong as your wrists since that is as far back as your hands could be anchored.
Not sure if I missed your point here but the hands would be attached only at the wirsts whether there's a weapon hiding in the arm or not.
If you're going for tendons and muscles here, I'd claim it's believeable that those could be replaced with mechanical parts in this universe.

Barring the fact they the arm would be built from various alloys and/or polymers that are far stronger than bone or sinew, last time i checked you're hands are anchored to your wrists anyway...

Guest 4211861

And for those with visions of a minigun forearm ...
Just where the hell are you going to carry several kilos of ammo?

The belt seems to work for this guy, not sure where exactly is the other end.

Maybe he's also wearing a little backpack like the other guy.

Trauma_Team_(concept_art).jpg

Barring the fact they the arm would be built from various alloys and/or polymers that are far stronger than bone or sinew, last time i checked you're hands are anchored to your wrists anyway...

yeah but the tendons that move your fingers aren't. best "alloys and polymers" won't do shit to counter the advantage of leverage. or being able to rotate your wrist. there isn't room in the make up of the human fore arm to accommodate this stuff with out making it hollow.

Not sure if I missed your point here but the hands would be attached only at the wirsts whether there's a weapon hiding in the arm or not.
If you're going for tendons and muscles here, I'd claim it's believable that those could be replaced with mechanical parts in this universe.

everything has bulk, if it all had to be in your hand it going to have to be very very compact, and where is the power coming from? got to fit batteries in there too? they aren't going to last long other wise hand held lasers would be viable. and no nano tech is not a good handwave for this, whole point is if they need mechanical bits you don't have access to nano tech.

Guest 4211861

there isn't room in the make up of the human fore arm to accommodate this stuff with out making it hollow.

you don't have access to nano tech.

Maybe he's only hallucinating that he has an arm-blade, like the guy in The Suffering. o_O:confused:

yeah but the tendons that move your fingers aren't. best "alloys and polymers" won't do shit to counter the advantage of leverage. or being able to rotate your wrist. there isn't room in the make up of the human fore arm to accommodate this stuff with out making it hollow.

everything has bulk, if it all had to be in your hand it going to have to be very very compact, and where is the power coming from? got to fit batteries in there too? they aren't going to last long other wise hand held lasers would be viable. and no nano tech is not a good handwave for this, whole point is if they need mechanical bits you don't have access to nano tech.

Cyberpunk-2077-mantis-blades.jpg

As you can see, this is a fully synthetic arm, wrist and hand, no meat.

2020 was designed with actual science in mind, (and yes I know there are some total exceptions in the lore,) which included talking to neuro surgeons about the possible realities of cybernetics and their implementation and side effects. The same appears to be true of 2077.

You asking about working weapon in prostetic arm IRL? Why? Does Cyberpunk 2077 position itself as a game that takes place nowadays?

nope. Also not accepting that artwork is evidence of something working a certain way. it was daft in the new Deus Ex games and it's daft here.

That said it's a game and CDPR will do as they please. But i do not have to like it.

Reminder that all views are welcome, and all opinions are to be respected -- especially if I happen to strongly disagree. Can't help but notice a little heat developing here. We all know what heat results in.

Marshmallow. Melted marshmallow. On everything.

Also not accepting that artwork is evidence of something working a certain way.
Well, I don't have the blueprints or the patented technology for the integrated weapon. I don't think anyone has them. Because otherwise it would already exist now :D
What are you asking for?

Well, I don't have the blueprints or the patented technology for the integrated weapon. I don't think anyone has them. Because otherwise it would already exist now :D
What are you asking for?
Just because you do, or don't, have any blueprints doesn't mean anyone with half a knowledge of mechanics can't look at an artists integrated weapon drawing and determine if it's practical.

Just because you do, or don't, have any blueprints doesn't mean anyone with half a knowledge of mechanics can't look at an artists integrated weapon drawing and determine if it's practical.
This is something strongly subjective. Mantis blades for me looks practical as well as Deus Ex integrated weapon. According to your post you can't imagine minigun in the arm practical because it has no space for ammo, althought ammo can be in the backpack or in the other hand as mentioned. Everyone has their own vision of it. That's why i'm asking Hoplite about his point of view.

This is something strongly subjective. Mantis blades for me looks practical as well as Deus Ex integrated weapon. According to your post you can't imagine minigun in the arm practical because it has no space for ammo, althought ammo can be in the backpack or in the other hand as mentioned. Everyone has their own vision of it. That's why i'm asking Hoplite about his point of view.
Ummmm ... Maybe watch this.
Note the size of the weapon, the required power supply, the delinker and belt feed guide.
And we haven't even gotten into the mass an volume of the ammo, at apx 2.4kg per 100 rounds.

Why some people constantly comparing everything in the fantastic/fantasy settings to reality? That's called fantastic for purpose. What is your point? Integrated weapons is unrealistic? Yes they are, just like almost everything in cyberpunk setting and many other settings. What do we need to do now? Pls, explain your point to me.
AND BEHOLD TO MY MAD SKILLZ.
2132.jpg

Last edited:
Why some people constantly comparing everything in the fantastic/fantasy settings to reality? That's called fantastic for purpose. What is your point? Integrated weapons is unrealistic? Yes they are, just like almost everything in cyberpunk setting and many other settings. What do we need to do now? Pls, explain your point to me.
AND BEHOLD TO MY MAD SKILLZ.
Ah, I can answer this one:

Because Cyberpunk, as a genre, tends to be more grounded in reality than other Sci-Fi genres. It usually takes theoretical and/or current technology and pushes it as far as it can, sometimes going into the realms of fantasy, but keeping it at least semi realistic works better. 2013, 2020 and 2077 are all based on this level of semi-realism. They don't go to the extremes that much of the anime cyberpunk stuff does.

The whole minigun in the arm thing is just a matter of size, having a minigun small enough to fit in an arm would mean the projectiles would be so small it would just give your target a rash. Similarly, having an arm big enough to house something of that magnitude would be problematic to say the least.

Personally, I always loved my characters custom built pop-up double barrel sawn off with an auto loader with 2 extra shells in it. Very good for up close and personal stuff.

I don't see how something bigger than a handgun or very small smg could fit in an arm. Similarly, knife blades could work, but folding swords, I dont see them working, the joins become weakpoints

Because Cyberpunk, as a genre, tends to be more grounded in reality than other Sci-Fi genres. It usually takes theoretical and/or current technology and pushes it as far as it can, sometimes going into the realms of fantasy, but keeping it at least semi realistic works better.
Cyberpunk as a genre has many things which can considered unrealistic, from cyborgs to brains connected directly to the net and flying cars. So where is the edge that divides unrealistic and semi-realistic things? From one title to another we have different limits of fantastic things. Maybe Cyberpunk 2020 is grounded to semi realistic but not that much to recognize a integrated weapon as completely unrealistic.

My opinion: Genre should containt as much stuff as possible, as long as it match the setting and can be explained with setting's rules. Maybe even more, even things that completely absolutely not suitable for setting can be designed to fit it. It gives a certain freedom to authors, artists, designers and developers.

Cyberpunk as a genre has many things which can considered unrealistic, from cyborgs to brains connected directly to the net and flying cars. So where is the edge that divides unrealistic and semi-realistic things? From one title to another we have different limits of fantastic things. Maybe Cyberpunk 2020 is grounded to semi realistic but not that much to recognize a integrated weapon as completely unrealistic.

My opinion: Genre should containt as much stuff as possible, as long as it match the setting and can be explained with setting's rules. Maybe even more, even things that completely absolutely not suitable for setting can be designed to fit it. It gives a certain freedom to authors, artists, designers and developers.

I think that cuts both ways though, Limitation breeds creativity. Necessity is the mother of invention. having to make things internally consistent (which is different from having to conform to the real world) makes for better solutions. and to do that you need rules as to what works and what doesn't.

I think that cuts both ways though, Limitation breeds creativity. Necessity is the mother of invention. having to make things internally consistent (which is different from having to conform to the real world) makes for better solutions. and to do that you need rules as to what works and what doesn't.
Well every setting has limitations and rules. Creating something that not completely fits the setting and explaining it with rules and common sense of the setting is equivalent to something what been created within limitations of the setting.

Top Bottom