Integrated Weapons

+
Not even in Warhammer 40k you don't have minigun built in to cyber arm, and i talk about cyber arm of space marine who are super soldiers of so high level that normal people see them like Demigods

Dunno why someone thinking that my example about minigun in arm is my point of view, according to which it must be in the game. I'll explain for you guys, it was an example of how individual person can't imagine something but other person can. Suhira can't imagine:
And for those with visions of a minigun forearm ...
Just where the hell are you going to carry several kilos of ammo?
AMMO, yes ammo, and then another person wrote:
That's what the other arm is for? ;) I imagine that would be a pitifully short belt
So you see how another person can imagine "where the hell are you going to carry several kilos of ammo". It also working for other cases, someone can't imagine how integrated weapon could work in cyberpunk, other can.

Just for you guys.

Cyberpunk as a genre has many things which can considered unrealistic, from cyborgs to brains connected directly to the net and flying cars.
Cyborgs are a bit of a stretch, but if you're going to have cybernetics you have to assume some sort of brain-electronic interface exists. The same applies to the net. Flying cars, in terms of the AV's used in CP2020 we have now so that's hardly a stretch.

So where is the edge that divides unrealistic and semi-realistic things?
Simple ... physics.

Along with the related fields of chemistry, electrical and mechanical engineering there are very real limits to what can be done. In CP2020 (and presumably 2077) there is no faster then light travel, no room temperature superconductors, no batteries that store as much power as a truck-size generator produces, etc. If you want fantasy there are any number of anime titles out there, CP2020 is grounded in reality.

So you see how another person can imagine "where the hell are you going to carry several kilos of ammo". It also working for other cases, someone can't imagine how integrated weapon could work in cyberpunk, other can.
That's because I base my assumptions on what's physically possible.

Last edited:
Cyborgs are a bit of a stretch, but if you're going to have cybernetics you have to assume some sort of brain-electronic interface exists.
Working cyberware exist and you have to assume some sort of integrated weapons and cyber eyes exists.

CP2020 is grounded in reality.
And includes laser and plasma rifles for example. And that monowhip thing. And integrated weapon (?). And cyber eye implants. And cyberware without truck-size generator. So many stretches. But some of them fits the setting and some of them not.

By the way, what we are discussing? I'm sort of lost. Are we discussing about Cyberpunk 2077, Cyberpunk 2020 or Cyberpunk whole genre? If cyberpunk as genre then arguments about CP2020 is kinda invalid. If we are about Cyberpunk 2020 or Cyberpunk 2077 arguments about cybereyes or integrated weapon being unrealistic also invalid, because they are existing in both games.

Last edited:
I agree that, though I enjoy Shadowrun, cyberpunk should remain heavily based on reality (with a bit of film noir pinasche). Some crazy person, at some point, is going to attempt hacking their spinal column to minimulate realworld perception in a virtual environment. The physical manifestation is currently termed "spinal cord simulation." Though there may be some non-bone saw alternatives out there. Crazy folk are already considering implanting credit cards into their bodies and we love the thought of ultimate VR. It totally see netrunning as possible and maybe even doable.
Cybernetic arms are already in working phases. It will just take crazy folk to opt into trading out their flesh arm for robocop arm. Then again, look at the body modifications people are willing to do today.
Most of the technologies described are potentially foreseeable (though not always probable.) That said, we have not made much headway on the flying car arrangement--at least not on a car that doesn't look like a drone or Inspector Gadget copter.

Regardless of feasibility, possibility has to be there. A light sabre just cannot happen within our given understanding of the physical properties of known gasses (probably the only way to make a real lightsaber). A SAW weighs approx. 17lbs. That is close to 10% of a healthy active male's body weight. That probably would not work in an arm---even if you took off all of the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Cyborgs are a bit of a stretch, but if you're going to have cybernetics you have to assume some sort of brain-electronic interface exists. The same applies to the net. Flying cars, in terms of the AV's used in CP2020 we have now so that's hardly a stretch.

Simple ... physics.

Along with the related fields of chemistry, electrical and mechanical engineering there are very real limits to what can be done. In CP2020 (and presumably 2077) there is no faster then light travel, no room temperature superconductors, no batteries that store as much power as a truck-size generator produces, etc. If you want fantasy there are any number of anime titles out there, CP2020 is grounded in reality.

That's because I base my assumptions on what's physically possible.
What is physically possible:
100 round belt of 7.62×51mm is about 6.6 lbs and 46 inches long (including belt links), in a 16 inch circumference forearm (big but like athlete thick not inhumanly so) with .5" thick external casing and a 1.18" (30mm) support bar you can fit a roll of 67 rounds (30 inch, just shy of 4 revolutions).

Given the average length of a human forearm you could fairly easily include several of these, carrying an extra 10 to 20 lbs on your forearm isn't a great experience but it is possible with unaugmented limbs, throw in a cyber shoulder and you are gtg. Assuming the entire arm, including hand, is cyber, you don't need the tendons and such, you can have cabling running through the center of the support or through the casing.

Originally, I meant this as a joke because while I thought it would be possible I did not think it was practical, hence the wink, and followed it with a disclaimer that it would probably be pretty short, but now I have to show that some of the more optimistic views are still "based on what's physically possible." I will say I was surprised as I was expecting a ceiling of <30 rounds.

The stats on a CP2077 cyber gun would likely be even better because it is probably using a smaller caliber and maybe even a more compact casing than the 7.62 used by the M134.

Last edited:
Working cyberware exist and you have to assume some sort of integrated weapons and cyber eyes exists.
You don't "have to" but it's safe to assume they would.

But it's not a matter of them existing, it's a matter of what form they take. @chriswebb2020.736 mentioned a sawed-off shotgun mounted in the forearm, that's certainly plausible, so are dagger or short sword type blades.

And includes laser and plasma rifles for example. And that monowhip thing. And integrated weapon (?). And cyber eye implants. And cyberware without truck-size generator. So many stretches. But some of them fits the setting and some of them not.
Laser weapons exist in CP2020, and due to their power requirements they're pretty much "one shot wonder weapons". There are specific situations they can be useful in, space, but as practical "combat" weapons, no. I don't recall any plasma weapons in CP2020. And the monowhip I personally ignore because while a cute idea there's no way to create, and maintain, a durable single molecule filament; and even if you could it'd be as, or more, dangerous to the user then the target. One wrong move and you'd cut yourself in half.

By the way, what we are discussing? I'm sort of lost. Are we discussing about Cyberpunk 2077, Cyberpunk 2020 or Cyberpunk whole genre?
I'm discussing CP2020/CP2077, that's why I refer to them so often.

Originally, I meant this as a joke because while I thought it would be possible I did not think it was practical, hence the wink, and followed it with a disclaimer that it would probably be pretty short, but now I have to show that some of the more optimistic views are still "based on what's physically possible." I will say I was surprised as I was expecting a ceiling of <30 rounds.

The stats on a CP2077 cyber gun would likely be even better because it is probably using a smaller caliber and maybe even a more compact casing than the 7.62 used by the M134.
5.56mm would probably be better simply because of the massive recoil you'd get firing the thing. Your big "problem" would be the very very limited ammo supply. All that cost and mass for a 0.1 (600 rounds) to maybe 1 second (6000 rounds) burst?

Last edited:
Just because you have cyber arm doesn't mean you can lift some masive weight, your cyber arm is stronger than your normal arm since is metal and so on, but you still need your full body strenght to lift something heavy.

What about power source for all that?

Integrated Weapons sound cool but they would need to be compact and not so hard to fit in your arm, shotgun, normal gun, stun gun, blade or even hand razors all of thos can be in game, easy simple and good.

Just because you have cyber arm doesn't mean you can lift some masive weight, your cyber arm is stronger than your normal arm since is metal and so on, but you still need your full body strenght to lift something heavy..
Absolutely. It's all well and good having a super powered arm, but if your legs and particularly your back aren't beefed up you're going to do some serious harm to yourself trying to lift something like a car.

JWhat about power source for all that?.
In 2020 you had abtteries which needed replacing. I think it was annually or bi-annually.

JIntegrated Weapons sound cool but they would need to be compact and not so hard to fit in your arm, shotgun, normal gun, stun gun, blade or even hand razors all of thos can be in game, easy simple and good.
This guy gets it. Have a cookie! Have all the cookies!

shutterstock_242725609.jpg

5.56mm would probably be better simply because of the massive recoil you'd get firing the thing. Your big "problem" would be the very very limited ammo supply. All that cost and mass for a 0.1 (600 rounds) to maybe 1 second (6000 rounds) burst?
For sure, I chose the round that I did solely because it was started by the idea of putting a "minigun" in your arm, classically that seems to refer to the M134 which uses the round I used as an example. A minigun is clearly not a good idea for a cyber weapon, but if you have a belt fed weapon that uses hundreds instead of thousands of rounds, with a round the size of or smaller than the example an arm is surprisingly adequate. I'd still rather spend the humanity on just about anything else myself, but to each their own.

For sure, I chose the round that I did solely because it was started by the idea of putting a "minigun" in your arm, classically that seems to refer to the M134 which uses the round I used as an example. A minigun is clearly not a good idea for a cyber weapon, but if you have a belt fed weapon that uses hundreds instead of thousands of rounds, with a round the size of or smaller than the example an arm is surprisingly adequate. I'd still rather spend the humanity on just about anything else myself, but to each their own.

Make it a 5mm or smaller and you can fit a surprising number of rounds in a small space.

And, I'd only take one. An integrated chainsaw for the other arm for melee/lock picking/pick pocketing/discussing etiquette with people who jump in line.

But, then, I'm also possibly psychotic, so...

Top Bottom