Interactive Scene System

+
Right, but the whole point of the Interactive Scene System is to "tell a branching, narrative story in a cinematic way". That means, I can only create so many scenes for one particular encounter or circumstance, and the player will need to select from among those options. If they want to do something else -- there's no scene for that. There's no recorded dialogues...no motion captured performaces...no element of the story that can account for that "made-up" choice.

So if I were to create a completely open-ended adventure that lets the player pick and choose every last detail, kiss any form of detailed dialogue and cinematics goodbye. I could make the game react to it in terms of yes / no, good / bad, friend / enemy / neutral, but I can't have that play out as an acted, interactive scene.

(To make a scene, I need to write a script and act it out. That requires a scripted series of events. That automatically limits options.)

Actually, most of the time choosing to avoid a situation would probably need a lot less work that any of the other options available, yet it seems it will not always be available.

Actually, most of the time choosing to avoid a situation would probably need a lot less work that any of the other options available, yet it seems it will not always be available.
Depends. Lack of involvement on your part could also potentially have different kind of consequences or impact on the world. In The Witcher 3 you were able to ignore many subplots and usually that would result in a minor changes (like not helping Bloody Baron at Crookback Bog affecting future dialogue with Ciri about his fate), but sometimes it would have a much more dire consequences (Radovid winning the war, because of you ignoring Novigrad sidequests, different state of Novigrad if you didn't help Triss or Svaringe becoming a king of Skellige if you didn't get involved with the election plot), which implementation also takes time and resources. On top of that, the developers implementing things like that, born out of player's inaction, also have to consider the fact that only minority of players would willingly skip on in-game content, which means those things will naturally have a much lower priority then others. Then there are some other things to consider, like how often the side content is tied to the story progression, thus ignoring the story would make it impossible to access it without some serious changes, and so on.

That's why I said "Most" of the time, "less" work.
And that priority of "majority over minority" thing is exactly why Bethesda Games are more and more railroaded, I don't think it should be a thing for CDprojekt.

And about main story, there is ways (more in character based story, less in event based story) to makes them mandarory anyway.

Last edited:
My biggest fear here is that these scenes won't be plentiful since they are hard to make(assuming) so most of the conversations will be just you standing next to a NPC and having dialogue options show up like Skyrim or something.
Something we saw a little of when V meets Jackie outside the apartment.
I hate that system and i hope to god that won't be the case.
This is the exact thing i loved about Witcher 3 where even the least meaningful conversations would have this cutscene style conversation mode.

My biggest fear here is that these scenes won't be plentiful since they are hard to make(assuming) so most of the conversations will be just you standing next to a NPC and having dialogue options show up like Skyrim or something.
Something we saw a little of when V meets Jackie outside the apartment.
I hate that system and i hope to god that won't be the case.
This is the exact thing i loved about Witcher 3 where even the least meaningful conversations would have this cutscene style conversation mode.
There's no core functional difference between that conversation with Jackie and The Witcher 3's "cinematic" camera. Generally speaking, I would absolutely prefer to have more control over my character's movement in the environment (and even the ability to just walk away mid-conversation) than less.

I doubt they are that hard to make. Or rather, I doubt they're as hard to make as you think - this is a core game concept, if I had to guess, I'd say CDPR has come up with a specific workflow for streamlining the process and making it as easy as possible.

They have a much bigger team than they did with the Witcher 3, so animation amount and complexity is not something I'm factoring in too heavily.

I enjoyed Witcher 3's camera style, but I like 2077's better for this style of game.

For a video game to offer complete freedom, no predetermined story whatsoever, at any stage, resulting in something that truly lets you go anywhere and do anything at any time for any reason whatsoever -- complete player agency -- you will get no actual narrative at all. The game will simply be a network of mechanics. It will be Mount and Blade, Minecraft, or most roguelikes.

Precisely. More freedom = less narrative. I don't think we are heading that direction. What matters is that there still are enough choices WITH the narrative.

Top Bottom