Interesting Little Article. 80% PC Sales 2077

+
We'll see. If you go based on what little they have said/done since the game released it's not exactly going in their favor. And that was before the hacking scenario.
It's speculation, because we can't forsee future. Saying game sold very well because of "marketing PR" ...what for is marketing?
They sold some copies because of reputation, that for sure, but how can you say -without some data, what % of sales was determined by reputation of CDPR? You can't. It's not like reputation of studio helped them to peak W3 playerbase 5 years after release (and let's be honest Witcher Netflix, wasn't that good to hype any game). It's more complicated than that.

The sales they got was a lot of goodwill from previous titles and marketing PR.

Whatever they do next - even if its literally the best game ever made - will be a monumental step down. Literally because all of their goodwill is "cashed in".

And that is the "cost" that the article doesnt cover.

Hmm, I have the PC version and when it works well on ps5 I will purchase it for ps. And this is because the game disappointed me so much that I want to spend extra cash on it :D. Remarks like yours a really hilarious. If it is the best game ever it will have good sales when all hype about the bugs and etc is done. All happen with various games in history.

Oh no how could I have been so blind...
Post automatically merged:

Whatever floats your boat fella', but we're verging off topic, if you want a back and forth about Star Citizen either PM or create a thread.

Ah geez. I didnt bring it up. Someone else did. God forbit to comment on something else. I wasn't planning on talking about it more anyways.

Companies, not only gaming but in general, invest a lot to marketing because that works. I think people greatly overestimate how much people think of companies behind products. I have bought one game from EA since ME3 (NFS: Heat from sale) but in larger scale, if customers were practicing some sort of discipline in what they buy based on their past experiences, EA and Ubisoft wouldn't be in business anymore.
The fact is that, for all that people complain on social media, I don't think that many real world people feel that way. Social media has a way of amplifying things beyond what is normal or reasonable.

The sales they got was a lot of goodwill from previous titles and marketing PR.

Whatever they do next - even if its literally the best game ever made - will be a monumental step down. Literally because all of their goodwill is "cashed in".

CP2077 was my first CDPR purchase. I purchased TW3 because of CP2077.

I can attest that CP2077 on PC is a fun game and one can play through the main quest to the end quite easily. There are bugs, so save often, but I never encountered anything that prevented me from completing the game. In the end, I would not hesitate to suggest that a PC player buy the game. There might be games that are better value than CP2077, in terms of story, graphics, game design, performance, open world, quests, or some other opinion, but that does not mean that CP2077 isn't worth buying.

Now, do I think that CP2077 is a game that people are going to stick with for thousands of hours? No. Do I think that the modding community will be robust and add to the longevity of the game? No. CP2077 is a play-it-and-move-on game, and it is hardly alone in that field.

Will I buy another CDPR game? Sure, why not. As with any other studio, it depends on the game.

First (and last) time customer of CDPR here.
I have never played any of the Witcher games, neither did I follow any of the reports or trailers about CP2077 in recent years. However, I was aware about several of the claims about what kind of features this game would contain.
The release of the game coincided with another (presumably much longer) lockdown in Germany, so I decided to buy the game, because of very positive initial (commercial) reviews, the positive reputation of the company, and the fact that I simply enjoy the theme very much.
I didn't really care about how much of an "RPG" I would be getting, I simply wanted to loose myself in a somewhat immersive open world game for a while.

I was severly disappointed when I realised that the game feels like an Alpha version.
There are so many things that are objectively just not up to standard of AAA games.

So after playing for a week, I stopped about halfway through the story, ultimately because of the garbage looting and crafting system that is just a chore, among the worst that I have ever experienced.

I regret the purchase.

Last edited:
The fact is that, for all that people complain on social media, I don't think that many real world people feel that way. Social media has a way of amplifying things beyond what is normal or reasonable.
Yep, while I don't want to underplay social media entirely, practically changes with major impact regarding toxic practices towards consumers has been achieved via other channels. For example some EA Star Wars game led to legal process and updated legislation in many countries and process may still be ongoing in others. These are impacts that affect position of customers not only related to one product or studio, but industry wide. There are also other very beneficial factors like extending reach of the law to other issues game industry contributes with certain practices, like money laundering.

What grinds my gears is talking heads on YT hell bent on playing last gen console just to seemingly cry and make videos of all the issues they can find. Yet if they just played on a PC, most (not all granted) of these issues would go away. It's almost like people are determined to play to get the worst possible outcome so they can then get that sweet, sweet hate bandwagon attention/click bait...

It's sad that the vocal minority seems to getting the most attention. Drowning out the good things this games does do in spades. I see FAR fewer hate videos and posts by PCs players. The fact CP was on Steams top 10 best sellers list for NINE weeks, 3 of those weeks at #1 says a lot about how PC players have taken to it.

I am not saying we should just ignore the console players, CP opened this can of worms of trying to cater to last gen (they shouldn't have), and that is on them. They should do what they can to uphold their word on the matter. But we have to take all the noise on the socials in perspective and with some level of salt.

What grinds my gears is talking heads on YT hell bent on playing last gen console just to seemingly cry and make videos of all the issues they can find. Yet if they just played on a PC, most (not all granted) of these issues would go away. It's almost like people are determined to play to get the worst possible outcome so they can then get that sweet, sweet hate bandwagon attention/click bait...

It's sad that the vocal minority seems to getting the most attention. Drowning out the good things this games does do in spades. I see FAR fewer hate videos and posts by PCs players. The fact CP was on Steams top 10 best sellers list for NINE weeks, 3 of those weeks at #1 says a lot about how PC players have taken to it.

I am not saying we should just ignore the console players, CP opened this can of worms of trying to cater to last gen (they shouldn't have), and that is on them. They should do what they can to uphold their word on the matter. But we have to take all the noise on the socials in perspective and with some level of salt.
Man. They took fullprice from the worms, too. There are many flaws and broken mechanics even without the special issues on old gen.

What grinds my gears is talking heads on YT hell bent on playing last gen console just to seemingly cry and make videos of all the issues they can find. Yet if they just played on a PC, most (not all granted) of these issues would go away. [. . .]

I don't think this is entirely true.

When I started playing Cyberpunk 2077 my rig had an RTX 2070 Super. The game ran decently on medium settings with the occasional drop in framerate (especially during conversations). However, I had virtually no bugs or glitches the entire way through (barring universal ones like the current state of Police A.I.).

However, when I finally got my hands on an RTX 3090, I pumped the settings up to max and started enjoying a much better framerate and overall performance.... and that was when all the bugs started. Cars spawning inside of each other and exploding into the air, my character falling through the world mesh while driving, dying immediately after falling from a waist-high ledge, character animations failing to render during conversational cutscenes -- you name it, I got it.

My best guess is that a lot of these things are happening engine-side and as such are exacerbated by higher settings, but as a disclaimer I don't know the first thing about coding or development and am basically talking out of my ass as such. Either way, it's entirely possible to have a high-end rig set up for Lets Plays or streaming while still experiencing a high volume of bugs.

Booo :) :) :), Star Citizen is awesome and the tech behind it is truly revolutionary, even if they never release a full product the tech that's being developed for it is moving the industry forward, happy to have contributed to that dream :D.

This is a really good video that touches on the same aspect a bit later on and how the media is skewing the narrative to show it as a failure, it's actually pretty damned hostile in general when it comes to this game in particular and CDPR.

Moving the industry forward? How? No one outside of that studio is ever going to see that "technology"

Moving the industry forward? How? No one outside of that studio is ever going to see that "technology"

All one needs to do is to check their official youtube channel. Other companies can take inspiration from everything they put out, it's groundbreaking and nothing has ever come close to the tech behind Star Citizen.

Either way it's off topic so we either create a different thread or just PM if you wanna talk about it.

Top Bottom