Interesting Little Article. 80% PC Sales 2077

+
Interesting little bit. It's not from Kotaku so it has to be at least 50% true.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/30...aunch-of-all-time-80-of-digital-sales-from-pc

2020 was a big year for the gaming industry. Despite all the many issues reported like delayed games or GPU stock problems, as everyone stayed at home during the COVID-19 pandemic the gaming industry had a massive boom. Cyberpunk 2077 closed off the year with record sales and player numbers, and new information from SuperData says it was the biggest digital game launch of all time.

After making all their money back in just 1 day, and setting new records for a single player game, Cyberpunk 2077 has seen some massive financial profit even after all the refunds. According to SuperData, a whopping 80% of all digital sales for CP2077 were from PC, likely due to the game getting delisted from the PlayStation Store.

Cyberpunk 2077 had the biggest game launch of all time based on digital revenue and digital units sold (10.2M)*,” said SuperData, noting that “*these estimates do include digital copies that have been refunded, but our data shows that refunds did not substantially affect the game's aggregate sales.

A successful marketing campaign and the reputation of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt provided the hype necessary for the CD Projekt Red title to break records despite issues including performance problems on consoles, widespread glitches and the indefinite removal of the game from the PlayStation Store. An extremely high share of digital sales (80%) were on PC, likely due to the delisting on PlayStation and overall state of the console versions.

Moving back to the gaming industry in general though, December 2020 closed out with a record $12 Billion in revenue from digital game sales, the highest monthly revenue total ever and a 15% growth year-on-year. In terms of total sales on PC, this was mostly due to Cyberpunk 2077’s launch.

Last edited:
Moving back to the gaming industry in general though, December 2020 closed out with a record $12 Billion in revenue from digital game sales, the highest monthly revenue total ever and a 15% growth year-on-year.

Big Marketing-Hype, Winter, Christmas, 4 platforms and Covid-Lockdown in many, many countries :shrug:

Just imagine what a GTA VI would've sold under that circumstances...

at least it's not Star Citizen... announced in 2012 through a successful crowdfunding campaign and has so far raised well over US$300 million for a game that hasn't even commercially launched... doh !

at least it's not Star Citizen... announced in 2012 through a successful crowdfunding campaign and has so far raised well over US$300 million for a game that hasn't even commercially launched... doh !

Booo :) :) :), Star Citizen is awesome and the tech behind it is truly revolutionary, even if they never release a full product the tech that's being developed for it is moving the industry forward, happy to have contributed to that dream :D.

This is a really good video that touches on the same aspect a bit later on and how the media is skewing the narrative to show it as a failure, it's actually pretty damned hostile in general when it comes to this game in particular and CDPR.

Nice defense mechanism there after getting scammed. Star Citizen is the biggest con in the history of the industry.

Oh no how could I have been so blind...
Post automatically merged:

I pledged for SC in 2012. It's def an ongoing Con. Some people seem to be able to play whatever is there and its good but most i know personally (incl myself) have yet to see an actual game.

Whatever floats your boat fella', but we're verging off topic, if you want a back and forth about Star Citizen either PM or create a thread.

INterwstign little bit. It's not from Kotaku so it has to be atleast 50% true.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/30...aunch-of-all-time-80-of-digital-sales-from-pc

2020 was a big year for the gaming industry. Despite all the many issues reported like delayed games or GPU stock problems, as everyone stayed at home during the COVID-19 pandemic the gaming industry had a massive boom. Cyberpunk 2077 closed off the year with record sales and player numbers, and new information from SuperData says it was the biggest digital game launch of all time.

After making all their money back in just 1 day, and setting new records for a single player game, Cyberpunk 2077 has seen some massive financial profit even after all the refunds. According to SuperData, a whopping 80% of all digital sales for CP2077 were from PC, likely due to the game getting delisted from the PlayStation Store.

Cyberpunk 2077 had the biggest game launch of all time based on digital revenue and digital units sold (10.2M)*,” said SuperData, noting that “*these estimates do include digital copies that have been refunded, but our data shows that refunds did not substantially affect the game's aggregate sales.

A successful marketing campaign and the reputation of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt provided the hype necessary for the CD Projekt Red title to break records despite issues including performance problems on consoles, widespread glitches and the indefinite removal of the game from the PlayStation Store. An extremely high share of digital sales (80%) were on PC, likely due to the delisting on PlayStation and overall state of the console versions.

Moving back to the gaming industry in general though, December 2020 closed out with a record $12 Billion in revenue from digital game sales, the highest monthly revenue total ever and a 15% growth year-on-year. In terms of total sales on PC, this was mostly due to Cyberpunk 2077’s launch.

I bought 1 for my PS4 Pro,and 4 copies for PC,none of which were refunded.

The sales they got was a lot of goodwill from previous titles and marketing PR.

Whatever they do next - even if its literally the best game ever made - will be a monumental step down. Literally because all of their goodwill is "cashed in".

And that is the "cost" that the article doesnt cover.

Last edited:
The sales they got was a lot of goodwill from previous titles and marketing PR.

Whatever they do next - even if its literally the best game ever made - will be a monumental step down. Literally because all of their goodwill is "cashed in".

And that is the "cost" that the article doesnt cover.
Purely speculation on your part.

Guest 3847602

Possible, but in 2014 BioWare was also in a bit of a pickle (public perception-wise) after Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3's ending, or so it appeared. That didn't prevent Dragon Age Inquisition from becoming the most successful launch in company's history.

Companies, not only gaming but in general, invest a lot to marketing because that works. I think people greatly overestimate how much people think of companies behind products. I have bought one game from EA since ME3 (NFS: Heat from sale) but in larger scale, if customers were practicing some sort of discipline in what they buy based on their past experiences, EA and Ubisoft wouldn't be in business anymore.

Purely speculation on your part.

It's a lot more than just speculation.

The general consensus amongst gamers seems to be that a lot of faith was placed in CDPR after their own successes, marketing and some of their comments about other companies. This launch has shined a light on all of this and what were seeing isn't exactly pretty.

I know I would never have pre-ordered CP2077 was it not from CDPR. I believed in CDPR. I never expected them to fail so spectacularly. Had it not been them, I would not have pre-ordered and once I knew how bad things were I probably would've removed the game from my mind completely. Note that I am not saying I dislike the game since, overall, I enjoy it.
All I'm saying is that regardless of each individual's stance on the game the launch went very badly in everyway but one - sales. Consequently, unless CDPR goes the extra mile to bring this game to it's full potential, I know I won't pre-order from them again.

Furthermore, did you take a look at the source from your very own article in your original post?

Here it is, just in case - https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/worldwide-digital-games-market/

There is this one important bit that your article left out

Regardless of the short-term financial success, the critical backlash means the developer will now have to invest significant resources fixing the game in order to rehabilitate its image before the launch of its next title.

That is exactly the cost that @RaynStargaze is talking about. Funnily enough, it starts right after where your article cuts off their quote and it's literally the last sentence of their CP2077 analysis. To me it seems like the author of your article voluntarily left that part out.

Right now, as it stands, all their accumulated goodwill is cashed in. If they launched a game now, it wouldn't benefit from that goodwill. In fact it would be terribly hurt from CP2077's launch.

There is a long road ahead of CDPR right now. I strongly believe they have what it takes to follow it and deliver on what this game could've been. Only time will tell but I'm certain they're aware of how CP2077's launch could severely impact their future games if it's not "fixed".

Guest 4519094

one of those self fulfilling prophecies that gets spread to smear a public actor, anyone writing including or echoing this sentiment is just spreading it some more wittingly or not.

TLDR your opinion is your own, your opinion on what the consensus is unless backed by data is ... just a wish.

Top Bottom