Interesting sales numbers for CP2077 on PS5

+
So, I've been playing a lot of Horizon Forbidden West recently (occasionally diving back into CP2077) on my newly acquired Playstation 5, and it occurred to me to see how HFW's sales were doing.

(As you may know, it's been steamrolled a LOT by Elden Ring).

As a result, I found the Playstation Blog and it's top PS5 sales for April 2022.

HFW has definitely been steamrolled. At #1 on both the US & EU charts for April is Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Sitting at #3 on US/Canada and #2 on EU is Elden Ring.

HFW? #12 in US, #14 in Europe.

But what's this I see? Cyberpunk 2077 - #7 in US and #3 in EU? Doing better than HFW?

Interesting! (Now, CP2077 doesn't feature on the PS4 charts at all). So, I have a couple of theories about this.

#1: It's a bounce partly because of the release of the Next Gen versions, especially now that more people aren't also buying Elden Ring at the same time.
#2: It may be support in the EU for CD Projekt RED's stand against the invasion.

But for a game that I've seen reported as "dead" many many times over the past year and a bit, it seems to be more than twitching at present!

Cheers,
Merric

Is it a sale perhaps? also alot of people waited for the game too be updated too "next gen" before buying it seems. It does pretty well on Steam too btw
I'm not sure about the PS5, but CP2077 has been on a discounted sale price for the PC. That might account for the bump in sales numbers. I'm not surprised by Horizon Forbidden West dropping. I think a lot of us purchased it right away, based on the previous game. It will probably cycle back around, when it goes on sale.

Although if the broader point is that CP2077 is still generating interest, then I see what you're saying. It's a good statistic, on sale or not.

never trust a statistic you havent made yourself... looked way different in february when HFW was released tho:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-19 um 16.45.25.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-19 um 16.45.25.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 89
But for a game that I've seen reported as "dead" many many times over the past year and a bit, it seems to be more than twitching at present!
The internet is full of people saying things, based almost exclusively off of their own assumptions and imaginings, because they think so, in their minds. (Then, in an attempt to justify their arguments, they seek other people saying things that sound like their things, and they proceed to call it "evidence" or even "proof" instead of what it is: pure speculation based on a lack of information.) If we removed arguments based on confirmation bias, foregone conclusions, ad hoc rationalization, appeal to authority, and hasty generalization...the internet would be mostly silent.

Just goes to show you that people like what they like, even if others surround themselves with people that dislike that same thing. And no one is ever going to "win". Games will continue to be made, though! That is true! :D And they don't need to be #1 in order to do really well.

Which goes right into:

never trust a statistic you havent made yourself... looked way different in february when HFW was released tho:
And we should trust our own statistics even less! An individual is not capable of garnering enough disparate data needed to come up with an accurate statistic. Better let the organizations specifically devoted to professional research handle that. See, the thing is, when an organization provides bad statistics, then the reality won't line up. That means that businesses that rely on that research get bad information, and the terrible statistics are labeled as such -- very, very quickly.

When you're looking at data accrued by professionals for a company that has met with ongoing stability and success, you should be fairly confident that you're looking at good info.

The kicker is that statistics, while useful for certain applications, do not in any way dictate the success or failure of a game (or any product for that matter). I'm sure that Cyberpunk will continue to do just fine...and so will Horizon Forbidden West. And all those tiny, non-descript, indie titles that we've not even heard of yet -- they're doing okay as well. A game is not "dead" simply because many people dislike it, or they've never heard of it, or it's no longer as popular as some other game. It's certainly not "dead" because it's not at the top of the charts.

When you're looking at data accrued by professionals for a company that has met with ongoing stability and success, you should be fairly confident that you're looking at good info.

The kicker is that statistics, while useful for certain applications, do not in any way dictate the success or failure of a game (or any product for that matter). I'm sure that Cyberpunk will continue to do just fine...and so will Horizon Forbidden West. And all those tiny, non-descript, indie titles that we've not even heard of yet -- they're doing okay as well. A game is not "dead" simply because many people dislike it, or they've never heard of it, or it's no longer as popular as some other game. It's certainly not "dead" because it's not at the top of the charts.

who do u gonna tell? xD
im working in the ad industry for more than 20 years now.

dont even try to blabla me in this sense, seriously ^^

So, I've been playing a lot of Horizon Forbidden West recently (occasionally diving back into CP2077) on my newly acquired Playstation 5, and it occurred to me to see how HFW's sales were doing.

(As you may know, it's been steamrolled a LOT by Elden Ring).

As a result, I found the Playstation Blog and it's top PS5 sales for April 2022.

HFW has definitely been steamrolled. At #1 on both the US & EU charts for April is Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Sitting at #3 on US/Canada and #2 on EU is Elden Ring.

HFW? #12 in US, #14 in Europe.

But what's this I see? Cyberpunk 2077 - #7 in US and #3 in EU? Doing better than HFW?

Interesting! (Now, CP2077 doesn't feature on the PS4 charts at all). So, I have a couple of theories about this.

#1: It's a bounce partly because of the release of the Next Gen versions, especially now that more people aren't also buying Elden Ring at the same time.
#2: It may be support in the EU for CD Projekt RED's stand against the invasion.

Cheers,
Merric

Reported as dead by whom?

Exactly ;)

Justify the reasons behind sales however people wish to try justify them, sales is sales. Personally I'd be surprised if virtue signalling had any correlation at all with sales, it matters not, sales is sales. CP obviously sells cos folk wanna play it. The end.

who do u gonna tell? xD
im working in the ad industry for more than 20 years now.

dont even try to blabla me in this sense, seriously ^^
Then I'm not certain why you posted what you did. Are you actually claiming that personal statistics gathered by a single individual are going to be valid, comprehensive, and objectively conclusive? How? How are different demographics accounted for? Different age groups? Different regions? Different cultures? Competing products? Tracking over time? How are false returns identified? Where will the empirical data required come from: blind studies, comparative data per study, various sample sizes, etc.?

Or if you're going to argue that none of that is necessary, then I'm sorry, but no -- that's not valid statistical process. And yes, this is exactly what's done for professional results. If you've been involved in any industry for 20 years and never encountered the rigors of generating valid statistics, I find that fascinating.

If you're not interested in "bla-bla-bla", you don't need to respond. But the question stands.

this thread is just stupid (sorry) comparing a sellcylce in april with a game that got reworkd over a year - facing a game which was nearly flawless at release and were sold way more in february than the one which is praised for april - whats the deal with this april comparison?

cp is/was on sale for a long time and is now playable after months - while horizon was from the beginnig. dont get the praises for april... its hypercritical and bubble thinking. at least horizon deserves its image from the scratch while cp... well we all know the story.

I don't know for sure, but I think it also counts all the free upgrades from the PS4 version since you literally have to buy it (for free) as a new game.
Post automatically merged:

I'm not sure about the PS5, but CP2077 has been on a discounted sale price for the PC. That might account for the bump in sales numbers. I'm not surprised by Horizon Forbidden West dropping. I think a lot of us purchased it right away, based on the previous game. It will probably cycle back around, when it goes on sale.

Although if the broader point is that CP2077 is still generating interest, then I see what you're saying. It's a good statistic, on sale or not.
I know as a matter of fact that in many countries forbidden west is underselling due to the direct comparison with elden ring which was a much more anticipated game (and was released 1 week later). Sony even started sponsored (paid) polls in many gaming sites (at least here) to ask people why they didn't buy it. I played both of them and must say that while forbidden west is a very good game, elden ring is much better in almost all aspects and, being both open world games, people are a little fed up after ER. There's also a good amount of people who are waiting for a PS5 before buying the game and by that time the game will be much cheaper. Win win (not for Sony).

Last edited:
There's just 3 things I'd say about this.
- I liked CP77 which I preordered back in 2020 and enjoyed very much. Despite how it sold.
- I also preordered Horizon FW and I also enjoyed that game very much. Played a good 100+ hours and it was also a good ride same as CP77
- Anyone who 'claims' that xyz is dead lost all credibility right there, specifically when it concerns a singleplayer game.

Okay a fourth one to interject: I hope all those buyers for both CP77 and HFW have a good time!

I don't know for sure, but I think it also counts all the free upgrades from the PS4 version since you literally have to buy it (for free) as a new game.

Hmm. I would have thought CP would have been higher in the March figures as a result. :)

Although I would take as "everyone was buying Elden Ring instead" as the reason!

I'm sure the lower price for CP2077 (yes, it has been on sale) helps! But I'm not interested in whether one game is better than another so much that there is still interest in CP2077!

Cheers,
Merric

P.S. Alternatively, the sale figures are so low for everything below #2 or so, that my one purchase of CP2077 for PS5 in April sent it rocketing up the charts! Is Australia even counted in the charts? ;)

this thread is just stupid (sorry) comparing a sellcylce in april with a game that got reworkd over a year - facing a game which was nearly flawless at release and were sold way more in february than the one which is praised for april - whats the deal with this april comparison?

cp is/was on sale for a long time and is now playable after months - while horizon was from the beginnig. dont get the praises for april... its hypercritical and bubble thinking. at least horizon deserves its image from the scratch while cp... well we all know the story.
I think what this goes to show you is that just because a game releases with significant issues, it doesn't mean it's a total wash, a waste of time, and a critical and commercial failure. It can still be great! Despite its issues...and the negative hype train.

And It also goes to show you that a game that releases with very few issues, fluid gameplay, and a detailed world, can simply not really carry that "spark" that captures people in a big way.

Also, people having opinions different than yours is not hypocrisy. That's not how it works. Keep it constructive and polite, please.

As for ranking on a platform, usually not. Most of them are based on total sales and average number of players over time. The time-period addressed can certainly affect results -- for example looking at a game's ranking "over the last 30 days" versus "all-time ranking". That sort of thing. I don't think it counts free DLC as anything directly, though new DLC will almost guarantee an influx of active players and additional purchases to some extent.

I know as a matter of fact that in many countries forbidden west is underselling due to the direct comparison with elden ring which was a much more anticipated game (and was released 1 week later). Sony even started sponsored (paid) polls in many gaming sites (at least here) to ask people why they didn't buy it. I played both of them and must say that while forbidden west is a very good game, elden ring is much better in almost all aspects and, being both open world games, people are a little fed up after ER. There's also a good amount of people who are waiting for a PS5 before buying the game and by that time the game will be much cheaper. Win win (not for Sony).
Hmmm! That's a good thought. I just looked at a little gameplay of Horizon FW again, and I must say...it does look a lot like Elden Ring's color palette in places. Plus, while I wouldn't really call them the same type of game, they may be close enough that once people exhaust themselves in Elden Ring, they'll be looking for something quite different after that. I know for myself that I'm probably not jumping into Horizon or Shadow of War or anything like that once I've finally tired of ER.

Somewhat sad, in many ways. Sort of the way that Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was completely eclipsed by the release of Skyrim at the same time. Damn shame, as Amalur is one of my all-time favorites, hands down. I've not played either of the Horizon games (no console and I don't "leap" on ports when they first release), but I eventually will. That looks like an absolutely engaging world.

Post automatically merged:

Yeah, that makes sense. Elden Ring seems to have eaten a lot of other games.

I don't think it counts free DLC as anything directly, though new DLC will almost guarantee an influx of active players and additional purchases to some extent.
On PlayStation store it's not a free DLC, but literally a different game with different trophies you need to buy from the store. It's free only if you have the disc inside the console (or the license for the digital copy). You actually get a receipt after buying it. On Xbox, on the other hand, it's just a patch. :shrug:

P.s. after ER and horizon, I'm not touching another open world game for months. Only linear experiences, best if 2D. :LOL:

On PlayStation store it's not a free DLC, but literally a different game with different trophies you need to buy from the store. It's free only if you have the disc inside the console (or the license for the digital copy). You actually get a receipt after buying it. On Xbox, on the other hand, it's just a patch. :shrug:

P.s. after ER and horizon, I'm not touching another open world game for months. Only linear experiences, best if 2D. :LOL:
I'm confused about what "DLC" you're referring to.

P
I'm confused about what "DLC" you're referring to.
You talked about "free DLC" in your previous message, I assumed you were saying that the next gen patch on PS5 is a free DLC when it is a completely different game. Sorry for the confusion. It's not even a patch as the marketing (fairly) suggested tbh.

P

You talked about "free DLC" in your previous message, I assumed you were saying that the next gen patch on PS5 is a free DLC when it is a completely different game. Sorry for the confusion. It's not even a patch as the marketing (fairly) suggested tbh.
Ah -- no I was expanding on your idea that "upgrades" would count as "sales" toward a game's rating. What I meant was, things that are "downloads" -- patches, free DLC, in-app purchases, etc. should not count toward a game's rating. It's just part of the game. Those things may influence people to keep playing a game, which would count, but the free downloads in and of themselves should not.

But --

Based on what you've identified here...I wonder if that's exactly what happened. Did Sony's method of classifying the Next-Gen Update somehow count it as additional purchases of CP2077. If so, that's going to make a mess of the actual ratings.

CP77 isn't dead

They are just taking time to add in more bugs and glitches to keep the bug list thread going

Top Bottom