Interior Exploration?

+
I can :)

Night City is very big and you will be able to enter many buildings, but not all of them. We're putting quality over quantity and like Cargan said - we don't want to have empty buildings in the game. Most of the places you can visit serve some purpose to the story we're telling.

For both immersion and exploration I hope we will see some places that we can explore that is not story related. For example an apartment complex where some places can be entered but not all. With some interesting loot hidden away at some places. It is important (IMO) to add a variety of explorable spaces that adds a feeling that this is an actual city with people living in it.

The problem that arises if all interior spaces are 100% related to a quest at some point, is that we don't have any places that are only there for world building.

I understand your sentiment. That from a player and developer standpoint, adding a shitload of buildings without purpose just to add them - will be too time consuming (for devs) and feel pointless for players. However. I do think it is important to add some places scattered around which can be explored for loot or just to immerse with the world. Because if you don't have any explorable spaces outside of quests at all - I think you would risk players feeling that the city is too lifeless even with a hundred quests in there.

The poison lies with the dosage. If you feel you have to "fill the gameworld" with places like this, I agree, it would be counterproductive. But none - and you could risk players feeling that exploration is not rewarding in itself. I think, if the dev team has the time, that it would be a good idea to add some (but not too many) explorable places with some hidden loot or such. If not for the loot, then for the worldbuilding and immersion. I personally think it would be worse - not better - to add none outside of quests. Because from a meta-perspective that means if a place can be explored there is a quest there at some point.

For both immersion and exploration I hope we will see some places that we can explore that is not story related. For example an apartment complex where some places can be entered but not all. With some interesting loot hidden away at some places. It is important (IMO) to add a variety of explorable spaces that adds a feeling that this is an actual city with people living in it.

The problem that arises if all interior spaces are 100% related to a quest at some point, is that we don't have any places that are only there for world building.

I understand your sentiment. That from a player and developer standpoint, adding a shitload of buildings without purpose just to add them - will be too time consuming (for devs) and feel pointless for players. However. I do think it is important to add some places scattered around which can be explored for loot or just to immerse with the world. Because if you don't have any explorable spaces outside of quests at all - I think you would risk players feeling that the city is too lifeless even with a hundred quests in there.

The poison lies with the dosage. If you feel you have to "fill the gameworld" with places like this, I agree, it would be counterproductive. But none - and you could risk players feeling that exploration is not rewarding in itself. I think, if the dev team has the time, that it would be a good idea to add some (but not too many) explorable places with some hidden loot or such. If not for the loot, then for the worldbuilding and immersion. I personally think it would be worse - not better - to add none outside of quests. Because from a meta-perspective that means if a place can be explored there is a quest there at some point.
Very interesting perspective, but I must politely disagree, even though it's extremely smart and deep and thoughtful. I do actually want to see what it would be like if the game had 100% only areas that would eventually be involved in a mission somehow. That would give every single area in the game a deep and special meaning. I have never played a game like that before where "EVERYWHERE" mattered. I don't think anyone or any devs ever tried that before. If every accessible place was extremely important and detailed, and those were the only types of places or areas we could get into, then getting to know the game world of CyberPunk2077 would be even more meaningful and magical since anywhere you go, you will have a good reason to remember it and cherish it as "OH! I know where that place is the NPC is talking about, I remember it!" Like imagine if there was no place that you didn't know, you just knew them all and knew the best way to get their if you thought about it enough, and came up with smart plans to do it. It would make it much more special I think, and what makes this even more interesting (if true) is that if CyberPunk2077 is "Huge" or even just "Large", and every accessible area is important, then that means a loooooooot of missions to fill up all the player-reachable space in the game...... dude.... (if true) mind = blown....

About a year ago i asked this question to.

Then: all buildings are made from custom blocks. So in theory you can enter everything....
Update from 'then': we will not make all the buildings accessible, it will cost us to much time to fill it (we dont want to make hundreds of copies)
Now: see other posts in this topic.

Extra: i think cdpr make more buildings accessible when they also add new stories. And i hope..... that there will be a day that 100% is accessible. And i also hope it is after 10 happy years of playing this game.

Or let it be a never ending story :)

I wonder what % of building we will be able to enter....20% - 25% maybe? If Night City is so huge and the dev said a "large portion" wont be explorable what does "large portion" mean?

Dunno but to me large can vary a whole lot from person to person..for myself around 75% of building would be a "large portion", med would be around 50% and a small portion would be around 25%.

Well.... My Gut tells me over time some of those buildings we can't enter initially, but that outwardly look used/lived in,etc,will be made possible to enter over time,such as when CDPR introduces DLC,expansions to add to 2077. They aren't going to build new cities,merely use existing real estate outwardly 'There' but kinda ,empty on the inside :)

At 30% should be enter able in any given main location imo. An it doesn't need to be empty space syndrome. Expecting some interaction or function or purpose to most of them.

This topic has been brought up before, and it seems some here haven't played the past Witcher games: RED engine is very good at delivering this: each Witcher game had so many buildings you could enter that you'd lose count. When they say there will be a lot of buildings to explore in Cyberpunk, I believe them.

This topic has been brought up before, and it seems some here haven't played the past Witcher games: RED engine is very good at delivering this: each Witcher game had so many buildings you could enter that you'd lose count. When they say there will be a lot of buildings to explore in Cyberpunk, I believe them.
I don't disagree but I did find the Witcher 3's interior exploration painfully underwhelming aside from a few nice locations, and I did also enjoy some of the interiors of places where people lived, or slept or ate or drank, but most interiors, even the largero ones still felt very narrow and cramped for my tastes, aside from some of the larger interiors, but those had their own issues. It did have a vast and expansive exterior (nature) portion of the game, and it did have lots of things to do, but it wasn't exactly immersive for me to swim to the bottom of the ocean for treasure chests hundreds of times in a row. The quests themselves were nice and fit the setting, but I still didn't feel it as much as I feel that I should have.

I'm hoping that CyberPunk2077 (and sort of already getting this feeling, which is good-) will make better use of space so that it's not an endless expanse of space to get lost in and be bored, but also not a cramped and narrow maze of claustrophobia and painfully tight camera angles (like many of the interiors in the Witcher 3), but also not an empty square or rectangle box that looks the same in every direction. So far from what I have seen from the 48 minute gameplay reveal, I'm feeling that CyberPunk2077 makes less, maybe even none of these mistakes and makes a far better (and even EXCELLENT) use of space so that the character really feels like they are where you see them, and not just mismatched from their context and hovering around.

I also like it how CyberPunk2077 seems to excellently illustrate a realistic setting, like when V walks down the stairs and opens that gate and walks into the room to get cybernetics installed at the friendly uncle-like ripper doctor, that whole environment does not feel claustrophobic, but instead it just feels very clear and vivid at the same time, and it feels easy to breath in that context. It's NOT too cramped and narrow, and it's also NOT too empty and huge and expansive combined with a lack of detail. what it IS, is just right, and yet still very detailed and interesting. Good use of asymmetrical spaces/buildings/environment. Looks very natural and kind of thrown together by some very talented engineer that just had to improvise the structure of that environment when it was built (in game built, like some engineer guy with concrete and steel) so it flows very naturally and doesn't feel forced. I like how different streets have different width than the others, and some have larger side-walks crowded with more or less people. It just feels like a real city that was build by real people in the future. This is very exciting for me since It greatly improves and deepens immersion since I can feel like I believe I'm really there when I'm playing. It's so real, that I will definitely forget I'm playing a game for some really good extended moments.

Edit: I also love that unusually intense "ASMR" vibe that V gets to experience at the Ripper Doc when he is operating on V, the machine 3D printing tech into V's hand and the Ripper Doc (Victor) using those intricate and complicated tools and the way the sound and the visuals glitch and adjust sort of like an "ASMR paper bag on my head" effect, it just feels like you're really there as V sitting there. Of course, I would never do this in real life because of many reasons, but I know the game is just a game. I love everything about it so far. I just hope there is an insane amount of customization for V (inside character creation screen, and throughout the entire game for the pure freedom of it), their apartment, V's vehicles, V's weapons, V's Clothing/Armor, and basically everything that's possible. That's probably one of my main worries right now, even though I saw a good amount of customization options so far in that screenshot that was posted in the other thread the other day, I still crave even more, ( did like the format and style of the options menu and the numbered bars for the customization though, very nice! Thank God there are no "sliders") I also hope that there are no options from character creation that are blocked from being changed later, so I can make absolutely breathtakingly insane transformations throughout the game whenever I like. That would be cool. :D

Thanks to who ever had the patience and passion to intentionally read this. :)

Last edited:
Ummmm ... the Witcher series was a midevil setting, thus narrow cramped building should be expected.
Even if that may be true, it doesn't make my point any less valid. It makes for uncomfortable and non-fulfilling gameplay to be honest. Just my opinion. Do you enjoy the look and feel of CyberPunk2077? What are your thoughts and opinions of the other good things I said I liked about Cyberpunk2077? :shrug:

Do you enjoy the look and feel of CyberPunk2077?
My feeling about CP2077 are very mixed.

I love the setting and the artwork we've seen, I'm very disappointed it's not an RPG.

I'll elaborate slightly on that.
The character you create is an avatar, not a character. While character stats may somewhat limit what skills you can select they have little to no bearing on the execution of those skills, thus you're not playing a character with their own abilities, strengths, weaknesses but merely an avatar for the players abilities, strengths, weaknesses. The whole point of an RPG is the character. By removing character agency a game, any game, is by definition not an RPG regardless of whatever other elements it may have. Character agency is the core concept of an RPG.

Using the definition of an RPG most folks seem to use chess is an RPG.
Decision making - Check.
Stats permitting/limiting gameplay options - Check (the various pieces are only permitted to move in certain ways).
Character customization - Check (there are some DAMN elaborate chess sets out there).

Last edited:
Interesting how some people see things others view differently. I remember complaints of how dead towns and cities felt, especially building exploration

I love the setting and the artwork we've seen, I'm very disappointed it's not an RPG.

The character you create is an avatar, not a character. While character stats may somewhat limit what skills you can select they have little to no bearing on the execution of those skills, thus you're not playing a character with their own abilities, strengths, weaknesses but merely an avatar for the players abilities, strengths, weaknesses. The whole point of an RPG is the character. By removing character agency a game, any game, is by definition not an RPG regardless of whatever other elements it may have. Character agency is the core concept of an RPG.

Using the definition of an RPG most folks seem to use chess is an RPG.
Decision making - Check.
Stats permitting/limiting gameplay options - Check (the various pieces are only permitted to move in certain ways).
Character customization - Check (there are some DAMN elaborate chess sets out there).
Which is why these types of games are labeled as action RPG's. While they have RPG elements, they can't strictly adhere to the confines of what some people consider an RPG. Bethesda's use of VATS allowed that almost turn based RNG that was enhanced with your characters skills.

Interesting how some people see things others view differently. I remember complaints of how dead towns and cities felt, especially building exploration

Which is why these types of games are labeled as action RPG's. While they have RPG elements, they can't strictly adhere to the confines of what some people consider an RPG. Bethesda's use of VATS allowed that almost turn based RNG that was enhanced with your characters skills.

Yes, I've tried to explain this to Suhiira before. It usually doesn't go well.

I'd say 2077 is far more of an RPG than The Witcher 3 was, because it takes everything that game had and builds upon it with additional character progression systems, including skills that progress through use (pretty standard classic RPG fare), perks that allow you to use those skills in new ways, a great deal of cosmetic-but-not-just-cosmetic clothing options, and -- perhaps most importantly -- more than one way to play the game.

Same.

It doesn’t really feel like the touted tr00(tm) RPG for a number of reasons.

Depending on how the gameplay in the end overall works, how the charactersystems feed it, it might well be a decent game, but... I don’t really think it will sport a good RPG feel as there seems to be little to distinguish it from modern actiongames as far as gameplay goes.

Same.

Depending on how the gameplay in the end overall works, how the charactersystems feed it, it might well be a decent game, but... I don’t really think it will sport a good RPG feel as there seems to be little to distinguish it from modern actiongames as far as gameplay goes.

Reply to you inside spoiler.
Ok I'll try to understand what you said below. I'm basically going to (for the sake of attempting to understand every single word at its deepest level) just try and deconstruct everything you said, so I can grasp it better, and maybe even challenge it just a little bit to see your responses to my logic's attempt at understanding yours. I eagerly await your response. This is bound to be a very interesting conversation. :think:
Please understand that I may misunderstand, and that my opinions are just opinions. All my text toward you is in 100% good will only and has no bad intentions, and is not meant to offend. No matter how analytical or even interrogative my words seem, Please always assume that they are always in a kind and polite tone. :)

The character you create is an avatar, not a character.
Beside what you wrote below, can you in more simple or basic terms (I'm having trouble understanding) explain why you feel that the players ability to create what will become their own V makes V an avatar instead of a character, and takes away from or diminishes the potential "character-ness" of V? Honestly, for me, deep customization and the ability to create my V helps me feel more immersed because the more personalized I can make my V, the more I care about them and their choices, which in turn helps define them in a certain way and speaks out saying "I'm V and this is who I am, and these are the choices I make" which is a strong "Character/ Character building" effect in a certain way. I feel like I'm having trouble finding the right words to describe what I mean so I'm just trying my best. There may possibly be a better way to say what I'm trying to say.

While character stats may somewhat limit what skills you can select they have little to no bearing on the execution of those skills,
Please forgive me, since I'm getting a little bit lost here, But what do you mean by that, and furthermore- how do you know that is true? As a small side comment, I usually feel very bored or frustrated and find very little to no enjoyment in games that limit the player (just my opinion). I will now go back to the main point of your specific sentence here. If I understand correctly, in simple terms you say that stats don't effect what your character does, or how they do it. Which stats exactly? I definitely need more context and detail to understand.

thus you're not playing a character with their own abilities, strengths, weaknesses but merely an avatar for the players abilities, strengths, weaknesses.
But I can't make swords come out of my arms in real life, or hack computers with my brain. The only reason I'm able to do this things is because I would be playing a video game (when it releases in 2020). Being able to do things like that in the video game has no connection to my abilities in real life other than my ability to try to be smart and play the video game in a way that I believe will lead to my characters/V's victory, victory being defined by a combination of win conditions set by CDProjektRed and myself and what I hope my personal V character to achieve.

The whole point of an RPG is the character.
I agree that the character is an extremely important point/part of an RPG, but I would argue that the story and the setting are just as important, maybe they are all even evenly in cooperation just as important as each other. RPG=Role Play Game. (I know that you know, I'm just deconstructing it for logic sake)
So we take "Role-Play" out of that, and we see we are playing a role, but playing a role in what exactly? a game? and a game is basically a story telling device as to movie, as movie is as to book, as book is as to ancestral camp fire legends. So we're playing a role of a character, and that character is within or is that role inside of what we can generally say counts as a story.

By removing character agency a game, any game, is by definition not an RPG regardless of whatever other elements it may have. Character agency is the core concept of an RPG.
Why do you say that? I'm curious because I don't know what you mean by removing character agency. When was character agency removed, and by who or what? Also, technically speaking, it could be argued that within "canonicallity" or "plot armor" there is no such thing as a characters free will. For example, a character that does not know they are in a story that is yet to be told (like a person in real life that did not know that people would make legends of them later in the future) Has the free will to do all kinds of things that they are able to do, but whatever it is that is in the story or legend that was told later (assuming that story or legend remained accurate and honest, even through translation) is what that character was destined/had to have done in order for that story to exist, just like an actor in a movie technically has free will, but it is really the director that controlled everything, and/or people watching the movie later are witnessing the final events locked in time as the movie was recorded. If I play the entire Cyberpunk2077 game from the perspective of my head cannon of my personally customized V as being "the real way the story went" then technically speaking there was never any character agency or free will, and yet it was still a role play game, since V still had to play a role, but had no freedom other than what the player forced them to do as an actor. Deep... :think:

Can you give any other example of "RPG's that are not RPG's" than CyberPunk2077?

”RPG’s that are not RPG’s”?

I said I doubt CP2077 will sport a good RPG feel because so far it doesn’t look much different gameplaytechnically than Far Cry 3 or Dying Light.

But Witcher 3 felt even less of an RPG, to answer to your question. That game I have first hand experience of, though, of CP I’ve only heard things of.

”RPG’s that are not RPG’s”?

I said I doubt CP2077 will sport a good RPG feel because so far it doesn’t look much different gameplaytechnically than Far Cry 3 or Dying Light.

But Witcher 3 felt even less of an RPG, to answer to your question. That game I have first hand experience of, though, of CP I’ve only heard things of.

Umm, I mean, I'm refering to this post you made here. I'm getting very confused.

Same.

Here you say that it doesn't feel like a "tr00" (true rpg if I understand correctly?) for a number of reasons. What is a true RPG by your standards and definitions and how would you describe Cyberpunk2077 as being something different than that, and for what reasons?:shrug:

What is a true RPG by your standards

Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic 6, Divinity Original Sin, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Wasteland 2, Bard’s Tale, Arcanum, Witcher 1, Dragon Age: Origins...

how would you describe Cyberpunk2077 as being something different than that, and for what reasons?

Simply the way the gameplay and character systems work by replacing the character skill with player skill to unproportional measure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom