Interview with Adam Kiciński

+
Jesus... so much money for marketing campaign. I think that hype will start in June sometime around E3, there we will get playable demo, gameplay footage, release date, and from that point till release, TW3 will be all over the place, ads and previews on every major gaming site and magazine etc etc... Looking forward for more info :look:

All that "games journalism" pampering from last year got me worried, then that interview about the difficulty "streamlining", now this. I hope to Melitele, Freya and Kreve that my assumptions are wrong, I really do.

It is pretty clear from this interview that the game won't be released before november...

Last edited:
My fear is about the complexity of the narrative, the dialogues, the story itself. I don't mind a simpler UI, controls or combat mechanics - I can live with that if I must. If these are the things they're going to streamline for the newcomers - fine.
I also don't really care too much about the complexity of the combat. However, the problem I have with this approach (i.e. "as long as that one aspect remains, I'm fine") is that by making one exception, you're already on the wrong path and are more willing to make another exception here, then another exception there... you get where this is going. Marcin Iwinski himself said similar things in regards to not allowing any sort of DRM in GOG games, even if it was a small thing. You need to stand by your principles, he says, and I fully agree with him. Let's just hope they apply the same philosophy to CDPR, not just GOG.

So no, I'm not okay with them dumbing down the combat, or the mechanics, even if they're not that important to me. This is why, for example, I strongly disagree with the notion of adding in a Batman-like counter system even if it honestly wouldn't hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Sken

Forum veteran
Weren't people complaining that there was not enough marketing a week ago? And now people are saying the game is dumbed down due to increased marketing targeting a broader market. Bring it on, there are so many gamers who have yet to discover this world, I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Games with great story, dialogue, combat and challenge are rare, a successful Witcher 3 is important to the AAA market.

Cyberpunk marketing will be even bigger.

Thank you for the information, though it makes me completely mystified on why no more footage has been released thus far. From the sound of it the game is already mid beta and ready to be shown, yet it is hidden in some dark corner to wait until later.

Its said there, and in the interview to IGN India the other week that one of the last things on their todo list is graphical fidelity. Remember the cries about bad graphics when the first pictures were released? We don't need more of that. Plus, they really shouldn't give too much information out beforehand, for our sakes as players, more also so their innovations aren't stolen by competitors. It sounds like the game is right on schedule, we just need to be patient and realise we don't see the whole situation through their more informed eyes.

Weren't people complaining that there was not enough marketing a week ago? And now people are saying the game is dumbed down due to increased marketing targeting a broader market. .
Some people perhaps, but definitely not a majority... don't allow loud voices confuse you they're a crowd.

Personally I can't help but be concerned with this marketing budget of $25m. This, to me, is gaming industry normal practice and therefore a retrograde step for CDPR, who should be clearing the new way.

Och, maybe it's because I know advertising has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever, and while I accept it works on some, I believe this number is dwindling. I simply can't see the need for spending so much money they could better use elsewhere, or as a emergency fund. I mean how many people likely to buy don't already know about the games imminent arrival, or have a least one friend anticipating it. And with the communication abilities we have & use as individuals these days... I personally - since they are obviously in a position of financial strength - would advocate holding the vast majority of that money in reserve, spend just enough to get a smattering of ads in gaming shops / sites, and launch the game and see if Marcins PR Volunteer Army can't do the job for them. If the game is good, its going to sell like hot cakes because gamers talk about great games.

If that doesn't work, spend the reserve money then. Do you really have to advertise before a release?

The approach they appear to be taking just seems to contradict much of what has been espoused before, like in that Marcin & Guillaume show posted the other day.

Last edited:
Weren't people complaining that there was not enough marketing a week ago? And now people are saying the game is dumbed down due to increased marketing targeting a broader market. Bring it on, there are so many gamers who have yet to discover this world, I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Games with great story, dialogue, combat and challenge are rare, a successful Witcher 3 is important to the AAA market.

Cyberpunk marketing will be even bigger.

Oh no I'm all for the massive marketing campaigne.I really am.Also I'm all for the new players and more money for devs cause they really deserve it.

It's just that Witcher 3 has chance to become something unique on the market if it remains complex and deep and yet user friendly.

If it becomes dumbed down like Skyrim than...people will buy it for sure but on the long run if it's unique it will be more attractive to new players because it will have something it's competition doesn't: deep,immersive and feature rich experience which doesn't require PhD in order to enjoy but also demands a brain to fully enjoy and grasp.

In the end if it it's like Skyrim than......many will hate it because of it.Also as I can see from their forums many don't like it at least because of one thing: they can't customize their character (change race/gender and such sort of things)
:facepalm:

So don't try to appeal to people to whom you will never be able to appeal unless you change yourself but then you are no longer you but someone other.If you get it lol. :D

Witcher 3 will be perfect only if it's Witcher 3 and not Skyrim 2 with Geralt in main role.Try to dumb down Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad (I know they are not same things but still).Sure more housewives,pre-teen girls and grandmas will watch it but neither it will be what it used to be or remain same popularity.And you can bet that it would also be their last season too.

Sooo stay awesome CD Projekt.And more importantly......don't become Bethesda. :p

P.S. When we are at Bethesda I run across this really really strange video and although it's highly unlikely to be true it's still pretty damn funny if not hilarous. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTzi1I-Bg8

Last edited:
Yes, a successful Witcher 3 with its integrity intact would be important for the industry. A successful, dumbed down Witcher 3 wouldn't, which is what we're discussing.

Things are not that dire yet though, a huge marketing budget to make as many gamers interested as possible it not a bad thing in general.
If they use that massive budget to show what a true Witcher experience is and sell people on it then we have nothing to worry about at all and we are in for some great times. The worst outcome would be that the game was made to make it easier to sell and thus allow the marketing budget to bring in the Skyrim crowd.
The big problem is that dumbed down gameplay and streamlining are fairly hard to spot most of the time and you only really experience the whole thing upon release (hence many dissapointing releases in recent years).

That said, we are dealing with CD Projekt here so we should have a bit of faith in them. They have delivered two great Witcher experiences thus far and their heart still seems to be in it for the third, so changes are that we get to experience something very special this year.

If that doesn't work, spend the reserve money then. Do you really have to advertise before a release?

The approach they appear to be taking just seems to contradict much of what has been espoused before, like in that Marcin & Guillaume show posted the other day.

Yes they need to advertise it, although tbh I find the $ 25 m. quite too much.

I remember right after the Release of Witcher 2 than quite a lot of people didn't know about this game or just have forgotten it and that also applies after the W2 EE and before the Cyberpunk 2077 and W3 Announcement.

They want that not only RPG fans buy TW3, but the gamers that buy all the blockbusters as well. This means reaching much broader audience.

No no no no no no no no no no no. Those are words of doom, and once uttered are incredibly hard to let go. This kills me, I want this to be a Witcher RPG game, not dumbed down RPG "skyrim" tier of garbage which is RPG in name but everything is "action adventure" just no. WIDER AUDIENCE, that phrase has seen the downfall of great developers this puts quite a dent in my Witcher 3 hype, I hope it doesn't turn out to be what I'm thinking but I guess I'll have to gear up for that possibility now.

I understand that but there is no need to go doom and gloom just yet.

I don't think I am going "doom and gloom". I'm just pointing out where the possible trappings for the studio might be. Never said they've done anything wrong yet, just that the possibility exists, no matter how many good games they've made.

I don't think I am going "doom and gloom". I'm just pointing out where the possible trappings for the studio might be. Never said they've done anything wrong yet, just that the possibility exists, no matter how many good games they've made.

It is not so much you going doom and gloom, it is more that I know how easy it is to become negative when it might seem like a game will go the Skyrim route.
Take sidspyker his comment for example, have several of those and you can guess what will come of it.
@sidspyker: I would not worry yet mate, it is CD Projekt we are talking about, not Bethesda.

Don't really see anything wrong about "gearing up for that possibility". He's not wrong about the "wider audience" talk either, I've yet to see anything good follow it.

@sidspyker: I would not worry yet mate, it is CD Projekt we are talking about, not Bethesda.
Nothing wrong with worrying, I'm not pronouncing it a failure but what is agitating is agitating. I'd rather voice my concern than let it pass is all, CDPR are really my last hope.

But well up until now I hadn't really...'prepared' for a possibility that "appealing to a wider audience" might come into play, we know how that ends up 9 out of 10 times.

Nothing wrong with worrying, I'm not pronouncing it a failure but what is agitating is agitating. I'd rather voice my concern than let it pass is all, CDPR are really my last hope.

But well up until now I hadn't really...'prepared' for a possibility that "appealing to a wider audience" might come into play, we know how that ends up 9 out of 10 times.

I suppose that it is nearly impossible to avoid completely once a studio has grown to a certain size and has a big budget to invest in a game and it's marketing.
Also yes, I know what the result usually is, a horribly dumbdowned game that makes me regret my purchase completely, I would just rather believe that such a thing is not a possible result with TW3. If it is...well, sad times ahead.

a post from neogaf

TW3 will cost at least 110 000 000 PLN (34 000 000 USD), out of that 40 000 000 PLN is for production and is paid by CDPR, and marketing budget (25 000 000 USD) will be paid by distributors and publishers in advance and deduced from the copies they sell.

So if this is right, that means the 25 $ millions will not be paid by CDP Red themselves but rather from the distributors.

original polish source is from http://www.pb.pl/3169838,32789,wiedzmin-3-bedzie-kosztowal-ponad-100-mln-zl

Last edited:
By the way, I really hope CDPR pay attention to this. Discussing this is fine and all but it's going to achieve shit-all if the devs don't listen.

Top Bottom