Interview with Adam Kiciński

+
Interview with Adam Kiciński

Couple of days ago a major Polish finance journal interviewed Adam Kiciński about TW3. Since the article is paid content I won't translate it in whole, but just the questions and abstract of answer for each.

(The source can be found here: http://www.parkiet.com/artykul/7,1358556-Produkcja--Wiedzmina-3--szybko-zmierza-do-finalu.html)

THIS IS NOT A TRANSLATION. Only the questions are translated. The answers are only summarized by me.

Dariusz Wolak: Is TW3 ready yet?
Adam Kiciński: You can play through the entire game already, although it obviously still needs some work, performance optimization, polishing graphics and so on. But it looks like it's nearly finished. 3/4 of the whole studio is involved in TW3, the rest working on CP2077. The boxes design is complete. The standard edition will be very rich, the collectors edition will be extraordinary. There will be 12-15 language versions (TW2 had 11, + 3 fan-made). Deals with the biggest retailers (like Gamestop or Amazon) are set, including all the details for presale campaigns.

DW: We only don't know the launch date.
AK: It will be unveiled in the first half of the year.

DW: Usually the date is made public a couple of months before the premiere, giving the time to launch the whole marketing machinery. Does it mean TW3 will be launched in autumn?
AK: Evaded the question.

DW: Do you have all the distribution deals signed?
AK: All the major ones. Couple of others are in the talks (RSA, Brazil). The distribution will be more geographically atomized than TW2 where there was only a couple of large distribution regions, which in turn resulted in some countries within those regions to be somewhat neglected. It should change now. Besides, all the major publishers actively seek the deals, so CDPR can select the best offers. The Chinese marked looks promising, and the Witcher franchise is known there thanks to pirates. There's a tremendous potential in there and CDPR will try to utilize it.

The distributors will only sell TW3 retail boxes, the digital distribution is entirely on CDPR's side. (Profits from a digital sale are two times that of a retail sale.)

DW: So TW3's development goes according to the schedule. What about the budget?
AK: Also looks good. It was a very conservative budget from the start, the whole production is being financed from current incomes and savings. There is also backup in form of a credit line for 40 million PLN (from which 30 million is designated towards game production), but there was no need to put it to use as of yet, and perhaps there won't be in the future.

DW: TW3 will be out for PCs and next-gen consoles. You have no regrets about this decision? The consoles were launched a bit later than expected.
AK: But they sell much better than expected. 4.2 million PS4s and 3 million of XBOs. Target forecasts state 33 million consoles at the end of the year. The decision was right.

DW: Marketing campaign is supposed to cost 25 million USD, more than the production itself. Why so much?
AK: They want that not only RPG fans buy TW3, but the gamers that buy all the blockbusters as well. This means reaching much broader audience. Up till now only a couple of percent of the marketing budget has been spent. The main campaign will start in a few months.

DW: Why CD Projekt publishes board games and comics?
AK: Its a strategy to build the franchise and gather new gamers. There is at least one new idea how to use the Witcher franchise in this year, but it's too early to talk about it.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
Thank you for the information, though it makes me completely mystified on why no more footage has been released thus far. From the sound of it the game is already mid beta and ready to be shown, yet it is hidden in some dark corner to wait until later.

I'm not sure it is at any stage of beta. The main quests may be complete, but it doesn't mean all the other features are implemented.

DW: Marketing campaign is supposed to cost 25 million USD, more than the production itself. Why so much?
AK: They want that not only RPG fans buy TW3, but the gamers that buy all the blockbusters as well. This means reaching much broader audience. Up till now only a couple of percent of the marketing budget has been spent. The main campaign will start in a few months.

Highlighted parts are only ones that actually worry me.Don't get me wrong I'm no elitist but I would hate if game needs to be dumbed down like Elder Scrolls have in order to attract new players.Give them arcade mode or something like that but please oh please do not dumb down and feature butcher the game (cut cut cut cut feature).
:fury:

I have nothing against more people enjoying these games.I'm not childish idiot and I want witcher to become more well known and to earn CD Projekt more money.But I want it to earn it's reputation not by becoming watered down 'rpg' like Skyrim.

I want it to be like Game of Thrones.Complex but user friendly,niche but popular.

I hope that's what CD Projekt is aiming to do.

Forum veteran
I'm not sure it is at any stage of beta. The main quests may be complete, but it doesn't mean all the other features are implemented.

It sounds to me (based on your translation) like all the content is there honestly and that the final phase has been entered with optimizations and polishing the overall experience. I really thought that they were far further of.

It's reassuring to know that so much of the game has been completed. I'm sure there is still a lot of polishing to be done; such a huge open world has a lot of potential for bugs and glitches, the devs will surely be scanning through the game thoroughly right now! I doubt we'll see any gameplay footage until after the release date is announced.

:rly?:

This reminds me too much of what was said prior to Bioshock Infinite's release, can't say I'm too happy about it.

Last edited:
It sounds to me (based on your translation) like all the content is there honestly and that the final phase has been entered with optimizations and polishing the overall experience. I really thought that they were far further of.
Because you can play the game from start to finish doesn't mean its feature complete.

Indeed, we discussed TW3 not having a huge building sized banner like Skyrim had but with such a budget a lot is possible.
More worried about the depth of this and future games than not having a big enough marketing budget.

Because you can play the game from start to finish doesn't mean its feature complete.

Agreed there, but the words nearly finished kind of speak for themselves right?
I am not complaining thought, I am just suprised at how far they are already.

I'm trying really hard not to have a completely kneejerk reaction to this.

This has me worried, pretty worried. Sure, if CDPR remains CDPR & they are simply using the Marketing Budget to put more ads out & make some "STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE'RE HERE" type Trailers, then fine, fuck it. If that brings in more sales from the Casuals & people who "buy blockbuster titles" then great, power to you CDPR, that means more money.

But if this means that the game itself is being dumbed down to appeal to those types of gamers, which we've seen many, many times before, even with Developers whom you wouldn't expect it from, then that is bad & that is what has me worried right now. What we really need is some damn Gameplay footage to actually make some kind of judgment calls, which if the game is in a bloody state which you can "play through the whole thing", then surely it's about time to show it off. I would be lying if I said my hype is as strong as ever, I'm still optimistic, I still have faith in CDPR, but there's this gnawing doubt happening right now that continues to creep further in the longer we go without proper footage.

That's some serious marketing budget right there. CDPR is up for the big bucks, I hope it works well for them.

And for us, humble fans, that still hope the depth and maturity of the game won't suffer!

I hope so too. They've proven they're not idiots so it's fair to assume they won't sacrifice the game's integrity just to satisfy the mass market, since making easy money now won't do them good in the long run. One can never be too careful, though.

Last edited:
What we really need is some damn Gameplay footage to actually make some kind of judgment calls, which if the game is in a bloody state which you can "play through the whole thing", then surely it's about time to show it off. I would be lying if I said my hype is as strong as ever, I'm still optimistic, I still have faith in CDPR, but there's this gnawing doubt happening right now that continues to creep further in the longer we go without proper footage.

I'm not sure if a simple gameplay video will really do it.

I guess the question is what are we really afraid of being "dumbed down" or maybe better "streamlined"? My fear is about the complexity of the narrative, the dialogues, the story itself. I don't mind a simpler UI, controls or combat mechanics - I can live with that if I must. If these are the things they're going to streamline for the newcomers - fine.

I also understand that with each and every sequel there are more people coming to the franchise and they need some sort of introduction too - fine, give it to them. Walk them in the park for like...I don't know...10...15 minutes. But after that please make the remaining 99 hours 45 minutes of the game the real Witcher experience, full of heart breaking choices, complex and witty dialogues about war, politics and humanity, big and lesser evil, sorceresses scheming so much that it will make us dizzy and drown it all in blood of monsters that will make us work really hard to even track them down to their lairs after lengthy investigations that will often make us stop and think who is the real monster here...

Plz make it a real Witcher game.

I'm trying really hard not to have a completely kneejerk reaction to this.

This has me worried, pretty worried. Sure, if CDPR remains CDPR & they are simply using the Marketing Budget to put more ads out & make some "STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE'RE HERE" type Trailers, then fine, fuck it. If that brings in more sales from the Casuals & people who "buy blockbuster titles" then great, power to you CDPR, that means more money.

But if this means that the game itself is being dumbed down to appeal to those types of gamers, which we've seen many, many times before, even with Developers whom you wouldn't expect it from, then that is bad & that is what has me worried right now. What we really need is some damn Gameplay footage to actually make some kind of judgment calls, which if the game is in a bloody state which you can "play through the whole thing", then surely it's about time to show it off. I would be lying if I said my hype is as strong as ever, I'm still optimistic, I still have faith in CDPR, but there's this gnawing doubt happening right now that continues to creep further in the longer we go without proper footage.

I hope so too. They've proven they're not idiots so it's fair to assume they won't sacrifice the game's integrity just to satisfy the mass market, since making easy money now won't do them good in the long run. One can never be too careful, though.

This and this.I hope devs are reading.You are awesoooome but please stay like that, :p

You can have popularity and fun complexity.It's just matter of providing different game modes (like hardcore,dark,casual lol :p) and not,I repeate not removing some awesome features because: Oh jeesh some 12 year old boy won't understand it.

If Kingdom Come can have over 18k backers and gather almost 600k pounds (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance) in less than 10 days then you can bet there is huuuuuge market for all the people who are over 10 years old or simply put who don't cry when they heared Justin Bieber is in jail :p. Ok that wasn't a good comparison but you get it.

I sometimes think that all publishers think that only people on Earth who can buy video games are under 16.It's almost like once you turn 19-20 or even 18....you are dead to them.Too hard to please. -.- And there are also tons of people who are young and want though provoking and challenging games like Witcher has been up until now.Like me for example.I'm 19.I guess I'm already grumpy old man for most publishers lol. :D

Sure,attract new players but remain true to yourself.For example I love the fact that we are going open world now but I wouldn't like it that much if story will be worse because of it although we have been reassured and I trust them.Not blindly but generally I do.I'm no fanboy but I am a huuge fan.

Just....just make Witcher 3 the best rpg the world has ever seen and show Bethesda (and Todd Casual Liar Howard) and Bioware and EA and others that you can make equivalent to the War and Peace or Hamlet and that it would sell equally if not even more than their 50 Shades of Grey or Twilight..
:cheers:

Last edited:

Agreed on every point. I do think a Gameplay Video won't cure every problem, but you can tell alot about a game from the Gameplay Video (I've got a pretty solid idea on what I'll think of Shadow of Mordor based on the details we know + that Gameplay Video). I have no issues with Streamlining, we saw alot of that in TW2 & in some cases it worked to great effect, others not so much, but the good it did far outweighed the bad . So hopefully the game just uses this whole "Broader Appeal" in terms of marketing & having a super easy mode for the unskilled players, but remains quality.

Top Bottom