Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda worried about the bugs report and the performance hits

Well, just goes to show why they ended up pushing it back a bit more for polishing and bug fixes. :)

3 extra months can go a long way when the focus is crystal clear. Bet they are working their QA team hard to find any remaining issues so that they can try and fix as many as possible and make sure they didn't make any new ones.

I'm sorry, but just no.

This.

Does not equal.

Not only that i agree with you, but even if they looked same as he said, are games/movies now forbidden to use heavily/skull-like helmet armoured villain in their works just because LotR did it? It's like bashing almost 90% of RPG's in existence for having a dragon boss or villain just because D&D made it "standard" in fantasy ages ago.

Last edited:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/why-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-will-be-worth-the-wait
http://www.gamesradar.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-review/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-and-the-call-of-the-sirens/1100-6424859/

3 goods and
http://kotaku.com/i-played-the-witcher-3-and-i-still-have-some-doubts-1681751334

1 bad

edit:
from gamespot
What I am mostly remembering, however, is what a strong identity The Witcher 3 possesses. You couldn't mistake this role-playing game for another. It isn't about fun as much as it is about standing up to forces that would see you dead--the forces of evil, the forces of politics, and the forces of a world so hostile that it's a wonder anything could thrive within it.

YouTube’s ‘GohaMedia’ has shared three videos from the latest build of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, showing off 15 minutes of new gameplay footage. Our guess is that this is the gameplay footage CD Projekt RED promised to share today, go ahead and enjoy the videos

[video=youtube;D-kBExyNm_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-kBExyNm_Q[/video]

I really love how smooth everything is. Geralt now moves quick and swift and everything just blends in so well and so fluid.

Just want to say that I'm happy and pleased with what I saw in these 15 minutes.
After few months of bug fixing, optimizing and polishing this will be almost perfect rpg, I am sure about it...

From the Kotaku article:

The game is great at making you feel like a Witcher. Taking jobs, following footprints, studying monsters for weaknesses, brewing just the right potion to exploit those weaknesses, being called a "freak" by children on decrepit dirt roads—it all builds to create this image of a fantastical beast detective/slayer, a misunderstood profession that everybody hates until the second they need your help. That, in turn, helps elevate quests beyond typical garden variety collect/kill fare, even if that is ultimately what you end up doing a lot of the time. The Witcher 3 knows how to dress up its quests, and sometimes that makes all the difference.

THAT'S what I want to hear. Sounds like out typical Witcher quests !!

Hunting makes me feel good. And also like Batman. I spent most of my post-tutorial Witcher time going on hunts for troublesome monsters, and that easily made for the game's best questing. The most basic (yet well crafted) example involved a haunted well, which I discovered was actually occupied by something called a noonwraith. After a bit of research, I discovered that the wailing, wedding-dress-clad spirit was a deceased bride who was bound there by some relic. I then had to hunt around in houses and, eventually, at the bottom of the well to find a bracelet and the noonwraith's old bones, which she was no longer using. One ceremonial cremation later, I had a fight on my hands. More research had revealed that this kind of spirit was vulnerable to Geralt's spell-esque Yrden sign, which normally immobilized enemies. In this case, however, it brought the noonwraith into the physical realm, allowing me to damage it. Shame I forgot to brew any potions. Despite all my other preparation, the noonwraith nearly ground my bones to make her bread—or whatever it is ghosts do with bones.

It's still damn hard. If you were worried CD Projekt might dull The Witcher's difficulty for console crowds, you can stop now. The first time I died, it was against a random pack of wolves who convened their meetings of the jerk wolf society in a swamp where everything was poison. I also never managed to successfully bring down the first big baddie of the main quest, a griffin that was terrorizing a cluster of nearby towns. After investigating everything from what pissed the griffin off to how old it was, I managed to draw it out with a plant that apparently smelled an awwwwful lot like rotting flesh. I dodged its swooping strikes easily enough, but on the ground its rush attack—which best resembled a tank trying to run someone over—reduced Geralt to an ugly smear one-part viscera, one-part beard, and one-part feathers. After a couple tries I nearly beat him, but then I ran out of time in my demo session. Oh well

Amazing. Two things which are absolutely necessary.

1. Creative mission design
2. HARD AS F****.

That's the way a Witcher game is supposed to be.

[QUOTE]Choices aren't "moral." Geralt isn't really good or evil, and that comes out in the choices The Witcher 3 offers you. Sometimes it's about role-playing Geralt as either a stoic malcontent or someone who's a bit more open with strangers, a bit more willing to turn down payment if he sees that people are on a shoestring budget (and dietary plan; I'm saying they eat shoes) anyway. In one bit, a guy I was questioning about Yennefer's whereabouts asked if I loved her. I didn't have to say anything, but I felt like—after all his journeys and the self-discovery that came along with it—Geralt might be ever-so-slightly more open about his feelings. "[Long sigh] Of course it's about love," I had Geralt reply, annoyed but relieved to get that off his chest. In that same area, I was also offered the option to question people the normal way or start busting out Witcher signs to hypnotize them into telling me what I needed to know. My traveling partner, Geralt's old master, wanted me to keep things quiet, but a couple of staunchly anti-Witcher jerks refused to cooperate, so I STOLE THEIR MINDS. This all culminated in brutal fisticuffs outside a tavern, but nobody harassed me for doing things my way or anything like that. I made a series of choices, and the game reacted. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

One of the most important components. REAL choices and consequences.

All quests have story. Or at least, all the ones I played did. This isn't like Skyrim, with its auto-generating grocery list of "go here, do this" kill/collect tedium. Most of them had me talk at length with at least one character or had multiple objectives that turned typical fantasy RPG quest-givers into people I actually cared about. Even the noonwraith quest, which I obtained from a board in a town square, caused character-driven ripples in my personal story a little bit later. I actually encountered my favorite character in my (admittedly brief) time with the game this way. Her name was Tomira, and she was an herbalist I barged in on to ask about a plant that would lure the griffin out. However, she and Geralt quickly bonded over general world weariness, and both observed that neither of them were all that they seemed. They saw through each other's masks. They were mirrors of one another from very different walks of life. Despite Tomira's cynicism, I ran out and made a Witcher potion to (hopefully) help her dying patient. While neither Geralt nor Tomira was certain the potion—Witcher tested, definitely not mother-approved—wouldn't just kill her patient, she was grateful nonetheless. In the end she gave me a nice reward added, "Thanks. For giving a damn."

Also a great point and something I was worried about, but I am relieved it seems to have been unjustified.

This articles negative points are actually mostly about glitches, robotic animations, the "heaviness" of the jumping an climbing (supposed to be that way if you ask me) and that is confronts newcomers with a lot of lore, which can hopefully be solved with some story recap videos a la "What is a Witcher" "Politics in The Witcher" "What happened in TW1 and TW2" and "The World of the Witcher".

Last edited:
"Our approach has totally changed from The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2," Iwiński tells me. He says that with the earlier games, CD Projekt Red was targeting the super-hardcore, PC-only audience that exists in the studio's home country of Poland. Now, as the series and company has grown, it wants the audience to expand as well.

"With every single game, we're adding a lot more polish and making it a lot more welcoming to the general gamer," he says. "I think this is just the way games should be done. I really admire, for example, BioWare or Bethesda for introducing its games to gamers."

I don't like the sound of this.
Doesn't seem like that long ago that they talked about TW3 not being for everyone but only for a certain audience, as it means a compromise of what made the game great to begin with. And now they're using the same rhetoric which has killed dozens of franchises, so excuse me if I'm a tad worried about hearing this.

Any mention on the bare fists combat? How has it changed from the QTEs in W2. Can u block and counter? Can u do it at any time?

I don't like the sound of this.
Doesn't seem like that long ago that they talked about TW3 not being for everyone but only for a certain audience, as it means a compromise of what made the game great to begin with. And now they're using the same rhetoric which has killed dozens of franchises, so excuse me if I'm a tad worried about hearing this.

Look at this I'll quote it again:

It's still damn hard. If you were worried CD Projekt might dull The Witcher's difficulty for console crowds, you can stop now. The first time I died, it was against a random pack of wolves who convened their meetings of the jerk wolf society in a swamp where everything was poison. I also never managed to successfully bring down the first big baddie of the main quest, a griffin that was terrorizing a cluster of nearby towns. After investigating everything from what pissed the griffin off to how old it was, I managed to draw it out with a plant that apparently smelled an awwwwful lot like rotting flesh. I dodged its swooping strikes easily enough, but on the ground its rush attack—which best resembled a tank trying to run someone over—reduced Geralt to an ugly smear one-part viscera, one-part beard, and one-part feathers. After a couple tries I nearly beat him, but then I ran out of time in my demo session. Oh well

PS: Does anyone know if we (on PC) will still have manual saves? I do really hope so....

Last edited:
For an open world game it looks good...not Assassin's Creed Unity on PC good ..but still good.Thankfully,The Witcher series has a lot more to offer than pretty graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom