Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all.
In the article of Gamestar.de http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/artikel/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt,49062,3082308.html are some interesting technical details.
They did play the Game on all the three systems (PS4, XBOne and PC), basically what they are stating is that the PC was equipped with an Intel Core i7-4790, Motherboard ASRock Z97, 8,0 Gigabyte RAM, Geforce GTX 980 and an SSD.
The graphic settings where on “high” and the game was throughout fluid.
They could not switch the settings to “Ultra” because CDPR said that the highest level will still be optimized, but should then run fine on the same system.
At High the PC version looks excellent with better anti aliasing, stronger colors, sharper textures, and with more shader and gloss effects than the console Versions.
As an example they were saying that Waxed leather armor has a light shine on the PC, on the PS4 and Xbox however not.
Also the ground details on the consoles are about five to seven meters in front of Geralt while the detailed visual range on the PC is easily the double.
To sum it up they were very impressed with the Visuals on all three systems and keep in mind that the PC was just on High, so in Ultra it can get only better and as stated after the optimizations it should run on the same system without any problem.

To sum it up they were very impressed with the Visuals on all three systems and keep in mind that the PC was just on High, so in Ultra it can get only better and as stated after the optimizations it should run on the same system without any problem.
I'm not entirely sure but I think I've read somewhere that High is the optimal setting and Ultra serves as an all-in setting where they throw every eye-candy possible regardless of the hardware demand.

I'm not entirely sure but I think I've read somewhere that High is the optimal setting and Ultra serves as an all-in setting where they throw every eye-candy possible regardless of the hardware demand.

I think you mean Ubersampling to be that special mode. Ultra will be surely excessively demanding, but not impossible to reach if you have a real PC monster.

"The game’s main city of Novigrad is said to take at least 30 minutes to be traversed, by horse at full gallop and in a straight line."
Uhh, right.. =\

NPC behaviour - he mentions Oblivion and Skyrim, but not TW1 or TW2, both of which had NPC daily routines.

I like to kvetch about my journal filling up with side quests, but do you remember the first time you played Skyrim and as soon as you hit your first major hub you found dozens of leads waiting for you? Whether you pursued the main quest or not, there was always something meaningful to do – something that felt like more than filler.
Did we play different games, or...?

But in The Witcher 3, you feel less like you’re following a set storyline than in Skyrim; your actions and choices make a more significant difference to the world than which soldiers are standing at the end of one battle. Even just within main quests, you make choices that dramatically alter your experience.
I'm not sure if it's just his phrasing that's weird, or if we see things in a very different light. That bolded part really confused me. "Even just within main quests" you make decisions that bear consequences? That's not an even. It should be the default, that in the main quests you make these choices. What would have been noteworthy is even if side quests had these choices.

Meh.

I think there's place to make a small comparison between the games. Saying that they're nothing alike is just as exaggerated as saying they're identical. But this wasn't an in-depth comparison.

What?

Size doesn’t just come in the form of gameplay hours though, as the theorised size of the game world and the amount of time that it would take you to traverse was pretty impressive. The game world is spread across an archipelago, with a variety of environments throughout that are inspired by European – and particularly Slavic – landscapes. The game’s main city of Novigrad is said to take at least 30 minutes to be traversed, by horse at full gallop and in a straight line. However, Philipp also mentioned that they were aware of filling the world with enough activities so that you’re not travelling for 10 minutes with nothing around, and that there is a fast travel system.
C'mon.

@Lieste you're probably right - the writer likely confused the map itself with the city.

Last edited:
"The game’s main city of Novigrad is said to take at least 30 minutes to be traversed, by horse at full gallop and in a straight line."
Uhh, right.. =\

The map including that city does. The city itself is a few minutes across at most... It is large and intricate by RPG standards (larger than Vizima from W1 probably, judging by the footage seen so far (and the map scaling).

The mediaeval core of my city takes around 2 minutes to walk across from one gate to the next.

The map including that city does. The city itself is a few minutes across at most... It is large and intricate by RPG standards (larger than Vizima from W1 probably, judging by the footage seen so far (and the map scaling).

The mediaeval core of my city takes around 2 minutes to walk across from one gate to the next.
Ah yes of course.

Crap, it's been a long time since we've seen Konrad. I assumed he didn't go to any of these events because he's too busy trying to direct and sort everything in the game out.
You wouldn't believe any of these guys are stressed or in crunch, Konrad looks great there, Damien is always lively and even Iwinski looks the best I've seen him in years in that IGN interview.

He's probably just repeating information we already know from the last few days, but still anything coming from the Game Director is interesting, it'd be nice to find out if he in-fact did say anything new or special.

Maybe someone can translate this interview with Konrad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulXLpibkQXI

The only new thing he talks about are PC controls. The game is already fully playable with mouse and keyboard, but Konrad believes they can still make some improvements, which is why journalists were playing on pads. He himself is a PC gamer and personally would never use a pad, that's why it's important for him to get it right and make it as comfortable as possible.

There is also a small tidbit that horse will not willingly go into a deep water, but aside of that you can get with it everywhere (even inside a household) as long as entrance is large enough. Interviewer also praised investigations and polish dubbing.

The only new thing he talks about are PC controls. The game is already fully playable with mouse and keyboard, but Konrad believes they can still make some improvements, which is why journalists were playing on pads. He himself is a PC gamer and personally would never use a pad, that's why it's important for him to get it right and make it as comfortable as possible.

Well that's somewhat reasonable, and perhaps my earlier fears about the controls were unwarranted. Good to hear, cheers mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom