Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it had to be someone.

Ah I know, deep down I know. However there's still that little part of me I can't shake which just wishes CDPR could have just gone at it alone, or used their distribution partners like WB/Bandai Namco to fund the marketing so that CDPR themselves still had a firm grip on what was shown.

I guess it's better to get these kind of videos out of the way here in March, so that when the developer diaries and hopefully sweet trailers start rolling out closer to launch, something like this won't come out in the middle of it all and cause everyone to groan then.

This is from MS, not CDPR. Get your facts straight first.

Soooo, people playing on XBO will somehow not be able to enjoy the game?
I always wonder why people have to make such remarks, do you have a PS4 and want to feel good about yourself or something?

These "console wars" are ridiculous. For the record, I'm getting the game for PC and XBO, and before you call me a PS hater, I'll be getting a PS4 when there are enough games to warrant that. Can't you people just get along, jeez, is that too much to ask?

If I understand correctly, CDPR designed the cards and the cloth map. And yes, I'm kinda bummed about not getting those. But I'm sure MS would have had TW3 a timed exclusive on the all-in-one family entertainment system known as the XBox One if they had their way, so we can't complain.

I understand facts very well, I really tought we all will get the same CE content, turns out that is not the case, and you know what? That is ok, I am fine with it, nobody said anything about physical content, it is fair. Of course it is fair, why should guys who played Witcher in 2007 get anything special, there is absolutely no reason for it, but we deserved at least no downgrade, and spectacular PC graphics , guys with X1 can have their fun with cards ;)

Cringeworthy PR is cringeworthy PR. True.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that MS is delivering when it comes to promoting the game. I think it shows what a journey CDPR took, from a small company in Poland to one promoted globally by Microsoft. I think you have to give it to them, no matter where one's sympathies are.

Iwinski should be calling his bank to buy a new, bigger safe. Every second of MS marketing the game like that is pure cash flowing in soon.

Ah I know, deep down I know. However there's still that little part of me I can't shake which just wishes CDPR could have just gone at it alone, or used their distribution partners like WB/Bandai Namco to fund the marketing so that CDPR themselves still had a firm grip on what was shown.

I guess it's better to get these kind of videos out of the way here in March, so that when the developer diaries and hopefully sweet trailers start rolling out closer to launch, something like this won't come out in the middle of it all and cause everyone to groan then.

Eh, I don't know if WB or Namco would have been much better. WB and Namco would probably have demanded a preorder bonus or some type of season pass since their priorities are all about getting more than just the sticker price for the game and getting strong preorder sales. MS just wants any incentive for people to buy the xbox game.

Cringeworthy PR is cringeworthy PR. True.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that MS is delivering when it comes to promoting the game. I think it shows what a journey CDPR took, from a small company in Poland to one promoted globally by Microsoft. I think you have to give it to them, no matter where one's sympathies are.

Iwinski should be calling his bank to buy a new, bigger safe. Every second of MS marketing the game like that is pure cash flowing in soon.

I understand they have to do this now, but snuggling up to MS hurts their image as 'rebels in the industry', as a developer who goes their own way. That mantra seems a distant memory. I just hope they know how to maintain their distance here, because truth be told, I don't see Rockstar, Ubisoft, or any other AAA developer paying tribute to MS this way. We have to remember, this is the same company that turned a multiplatform revival into an exclusive ( Tomb Raider) and made PC gamers wait for en entire fucking year before releasing SF4.

Last edited:
Interview with Mikołaj Szwed and Jonas Mattsson.

A really frank and passionate interview. Some cool tidbits in there too.

Would highly recommend everyone take the time to listen to this one.

The "Story Catch-Up" while the game loads sounds brilliant and a perfect use of a loading screen. Great idea for also convincing people to jump back into the Story after quitting and coming back a day or two later.

Edit: Also in the last video did Michał Stec just say that Boat Racing still exists??!!? I thought it was confirmed gone, was that an accident or is it actually still in?

Last edited:
Who is going to protect you? Who?

I understand they have to do this now, but snuggling up to MS hurts their image as 'rebels in the industry', as a developer who goes their own way. That mantra seems a distant memory. I just hope they know how to maintain their distance here, because truth be told, I don't see Rockstar, Ubisoft, or any other AAA developer paying tribute to MS this way. We have to remember, this is the same company that turned a multiplatform revival into an exclusive ( Tomb Raider) and made PC gamers wait for en entire fucking year before releasing SF4.
I pick no sides, Oh.... it's normal, a red bird said more or less in that first delay statment to us all. That sometimes you have to deal/work with, or be rebels/fuckers to get what you want. I mean, look at Geralt, depending on how you play it's the same shit man. Like real life right......? Just saying, no one is selling out, nothing is as it seems. It's a scientific, psycological, entertainment experiment right....? What kinda of witcher are you? lol.. It's a wild hunt, magic and sorcery are involved, duh... well that and some alien technology.
It's a long story that I know nothing about, really. :)

Last edited:

Some interesting bits:

1. This game is the finale of this story. They aren’t going to milk story and water it down just to make more games in future. “You have to respect the story and give it a proper ending.”
  2. Guards chase when you steal, peasants cower if you use magic or draw sword. City guards will confront you if you draw sword in cities.
  3. Dynamic weather definitely in. Geralt and NPCs react to weather.
  4. Regenerating health during meditation occurs only in easy and normal difficulties.
  5. Still tinkering with controls (mouse and key board, etc.). Using feedback they get from hands on events.
  6. Roach definitely has extra storage capacity. No other chests to store items.
  7. Beehives and exploding barrels are in game.
  8. Map icons and other “hand holding” features are customizable. “If you’re really hardcore you can just turn off everything.” He goes on to amend that somewhat. “There is a minimum, but you can, if you’re interested, you can turn on, for example, some additional help if you’re lost.” (Around 24:35 to 25:50). Confirmed for PC, PS4 and XBone.
  9. Dandelion reminds you where you are in the story when you load back into the game. If game loads completely before story finished, you can skip sequence.
  10. Completing some quests can result in unlocking areas, quests, or items that will otherwise be unavailable.

Last edited:

Rockstar sold GTA4 DLC to MS for 6 months and their comarketing deal was with Sony. Ubisoft has exclusive DLC and co-marketing deals with all their big games. I really cant think of any AAA developers that arent doing favors for one of the console companies and plenty of indies are now getting in on it too. It makes total sense from a business stand point since Sony and MS are covering all expenses for this stuff and they help market your game.

At around 03:30, in response to a question about they had some "grand plan" story-wise, they say that in TW2 you could occasionally see this weird, comet-like streak in the sky that was meant to be the Wild Hunt. Forgot about that.

"Atmosphere-wise, TW3 is more similar to TW1, but story-wise it's more of a continuation of TW2"

Weather sounds cool.

They describe a moment where Roach tries to kick a ghoul and ends up kicking Geralt. Damn fidgety ballerina.

Customization sounds good. They say that the hand-holding elements can be really big, to the point of drawing a line on the map to tell you how to advance - and that you can just turn them off. Seems great to me, allows people of all sorts of playing styles to enjoy the game. Those who want the story can just leisurely play through, and those who want the gameplay challenge in addition can have it too. No reason for it to be either\or.

Curious about the story sequences.

Fun interview overall.

Holy hell, maximum cringe with that xbox PR video.
This is the reason why people are concerned about you and your current practices, CDPR.

No one can deny that their marketing deal with MS did not pay off at all, but I do hope they do not do anything of this sort for Cyberpunk 2077 as they already accomplished their objective of getting their name and their games out there.

Some interesting bits:
5. Still tinkering with controls (mouse and key board, etc.). Using feedback they get from hands on events.
And yet they don't allow people to play the game with K+B. How about that? I'm sure K+B controls need 'tinkering' as well.

Why is marketing the game in order to make as much money as possible such a bad thing? How should they be doing it if not teaming with the biggest players in the industry, which is a thing every AAA multiplatform game developer does? Sticking posters to city lights? Handing out flyers? Or buying banners but only on RPGcodex?

If the game turns out to be good, it will be CDPR's success and noone else's. The same if it turns out to be a stinking turd - it will be their own failure and only CDPR will be to blame. Not MS, not Sony.

Some interesting bits:

1. This game is the finale of this story. They aren’t going to milk story and water it down just to make more games in future. “You have to respect the story and give it a proper ending.”
  2. Guards chase when you steal, peasants cower if you use magic or draw sword. City guards will confront you if you draw sword in cities.
  3. Dynamic weather definitely in. Geralt and NPCs react to weather.
  4. Regenerating health during mediation occurs only in easy and normal difficulties.
  6. Roach definitely has extra storage capacity. No other chests to store items.
  7. Beehives and exploding barrels are in game.
  8. Map icons and other “hand holding” features are customizable. “If you’re really hardcore you can just turn off everything.” He goes on to amend that somewhat. “There is a minimum, but you can, if you’re interested, you can turn on, for example, some additional help if you’re lost.” (Around 24:35 to 25:50). Confirmed for PC, PS4 and XBone.
  9. Dandelion reminds you where you are in the story when you load back into the game. If game loads completely before story finished, you can skip sequence.
  10. Completing some quests can result in unlocking areas, quests, or items that will otherwise be unavailable.
some additions from the same interview:

- Guards will chase you if you steal. If a guard is chasing you, and you run past another guard they will join the pursuit.
- If the guards catch up to you, you can choose to fight to the death, or pay a fine. There is no jail time.
- Can remap controls on PC to suit your preference
- Can download multiple language packs from GOG for PC (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish,) Can select from menu if you want to download a language pack.
- Console version language is regional, can't download extras.
- Characters from Witcher 1 & 2 will appear in Witcher 3, didn't mention names
- Can upgrade, buy or win bigger saddlebags on Roach for increased storage. Things like storage chests don't exist in the game.
- Roach cannot die
- Couldn't confirm a Linux version aside from a possibility
- Nvidia exclusive features are in but they weren't tech guys and couldn't confirm which were in, no AMD specific features
-Talked up weather effects and seeing storms brewing, NPC's react and find shelter
- Cannot use IGNI to set forest or fields on fire
- Geralt if standing in swamp gas and ignites Igni will burn himself
- no comment on more Cyperbunk info question

The fact that they didn't have anythyng to say about the mod tools other than it's a "future possibility" is actually a major concern for me. RED kit for TW2 was released two years after the game and based on how many mods were made using it, I can safely say that literally nobody cared at that point. Looks like TW3 will get similar treatment or they just won't bother at all :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom