Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a bit strange, I can imagine not everybody knowing it but right now nobody seems to know it.

"...whenever something dies in the world of The Witcher, its carcass will attract beasts and monsters."

So corpses won't disappear like in TW2? That's great.

God, I'm gonna need a whole week off work for this game. The game world seems amazing, like it's going to make other open worlds appear lifeless. One guy's job is to focus on flora. His entire job?? How many devs would do that? And 4 years in development. I suspected some members had been on the game this long but it's good to see it confirmed.

Obviously, it's so big that they're still in the process of measuring it. When they asked Konrad they were at 40 times larger than TW2. When AJ asked them, they had reached 65 times :p

Yeah, it's great but it ended rather abruptly...or is there a part 2? Anyway, I hope this whole ecosystem stuff is really something and not just some PR talk
I liked that when they claimed Stalker would have this or FarCry 3. So far no game has really pulled this off well that wildlife preys on each other as in real life. Yes sometimes you see a wolf chase a rabbit or something like this in Skyrim, but it looks never this good.

At this point I honestly believe that even the devs don't know how big the world is. And that they're going with the flow, creating content where it is needed, without considering boundaries (as in ingame boundaries, not financial/time and the sort).

This could be true, but I can't imagine changes in size to be that big. I mean, as I interpreted Marcin's posts in the dedicated thread, the 8 x 8 attributes seemed set in stone. That is the amount space given to the artists to work with. Even if that were the case, I suppose they could be measuring playable area, though.

Tbh if I was in the devs shoes I wouldn't be sitting there counting the size of the world and comparing it with past games. I would be focusing on working on the game in question, they still have a lot to polish and the deadline is looming. I am doubtful they actually know a precise figure for how big the world actually is.

Tbh if I was in the devs shoes I wouldn't be sitting there counting the size of the world and comparing it with past games. I would be focusing on working on the game in question, they still have a lot to polish and the deadline is looming. I am doubtful they actually know a precise figure for how big the world actually is.

How can you act so naive...Of-course they know the size of the world, they knew the size of the terrain before they put anything on it.
If you watch the interviews you can notice that they pre-prepared answers for questions that would come up, and the answer for the world size was 35x The Witcher 2.

They don't want to give exact numbers as I said. If the gameworld ix 8x8 km that's less than GTA V maybe they don't want people comparing them to that. This fits with the 20% bigger than Skyrim thing we heard before.

Or maybe they don't want to give exact numbers because if that GDC slide was true and only Skelige Isles were 8.0 x8.0 and Novigrad&Outskirts was 8.5x8.5 then the world is so massive that they want to keep this information under wraps for future reveal and future hype.

Last edited:
@vincentdante
I worked a while in development ( nothing with games or software though, hardware if you care), but don't worry. There are regular meetings where you will weigh the importance of certain unfinished parts with your supervisor of a project and direct your power (as a team or single person) to solve them first. CDPR will prioritize like this, so a few unimportant things might not make it. I wouldn't worry too much.

@mico11
Pretty much like this, they might skip finishing a cave or a quest but I'm sure the world won't change in size anymore. We just "might" visit less areas, and that is just speculation. It's not like CDPR could give us those parts of the game later in a free enhanced edition or ship the unfinished content with the game, so modders can access and finish it. -> @Marcin Momot

Guys. Hold on for a while. Don´t you realize that actual size doesn´t matter at all? What matters is what you can do there and not if it is 40 times bigger or 65 times, It won´t change a thing anyway. Game is fricking huge and it is not like you will first day go and count how really game world is. Also game is as big as it is. Any comparsion won´t change the size of it.

To be honest all this discussing about size is irrelevant. What is however noteworthy is that they said that traversing the world from north to south is +- 20 minutes in a straight line without obstacles. It gives you imo a better view on the scale of the world than 'X times larger than TW2'.

only if you know the speed with which the horse can run

Now if they are using authentic stuff here as well and I see no reason they would not. They are thinking about which plants grow in which areas to make it realistic and they wouldnt make horse's speed realistic? I dont think so.

So an average horse canters at 15 miles per hour and gallops at 30 miles per hour.

But gallop is something a horse does to get away from something and cant keep up for long.

If we take 15 miles per hour and divide it with 3 (60 minutes divided by 3 to get 20) we get 5 miles in 20 minutes

1 mile = 1,6 km roughly

5x 1,6 = 8 km

Strange coincidence? Or is it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom