Introducing Crimson Curse — the first card expansion to GWENT!

+
Excuse me, but did you really mean a new expansion with a storyline, just like the "Thronebreaker"? Just tell me you didn't, pretty please... Because, if yes, it means (pardon my Elder Speech) mucking up the narrative in general...
- such a continuation of Dettlaff's story is devoid of any logic at all, because at the end of the B&W he either is dead or has taken his revenge on Syanna and has no score to settle with humans. Having him perform some dark ritual for the sake of revenge for something that has already been avenged is, again, absolutely out of character, if there is no proper motivation.
Your team is noted for a deep psychological insight into the characters protrayed in the game, and an excellent job has been done in creating such a spectacular anti-hero (or rather anti-villain?) as Dettlaff... Isn't it a shame to turn him into another mad illogical antagonist only to justify some alterations of Gwent system?
Maybe, just maybe I'm expecting too much of a card game, but, to be honest, I can't help feeling kind of deceived, as if I were given a piece of crumpled paper in a candy wrapper.

@Endanarie
Noone says he can get destroyed for good in the end, he lives for quite a long time before the events of Blood and Wine, so it can be an old story and he could have a similar motivation to the events in Blood and Wine.
I do not see a story mode regardless, I would assume they just add a few random bits of whatever surrounding the set.
It should be too early to draw a conclusion.

It's just a card expansion, not another Thronebreaker.

I agree and would like to add, there really isn't a Gwent canon. Gwent is a game that exists in the Witcher universe, (much like chess in our universe,) that uses names and spells from the in game universe. People like Geralt, Yen, Dandelion, etc... are quasi famous in the Witcher world, and the cards reflect that fame. Dettlaff's involvement in the events of B&W would be the thing of local legend. In the real world we know CDPR makes the canon, in the game it is a Baron in Toussaint who added SK to the game. Likewise it would be in game people who create new cards and rules and submit them to the other nobles.

rrc

Forum veteran
The trailer is fantastic! The hype is awesome. Well done CDPR and Gwent Team!

My thoughts about the cards and keywords:
NR:
With Shield NR will become a formidable faction. I am sure there will be cards which give shield to other cards (some cards may give shield to more than one units too, and I can guess that some of the existing engines may come with shield). The new leader for NR will give shield to a unit and may have 1 charge per round making Foltest redundant (unless the new leader also has less provisions).
ST:
Poison seems powerful. Too powerful that it will have some very simple counter, like boosting a unit will remove the poison (or something like that). If there is a simple counter to poison, then as usual ST will have the most pathetic new addition. If not, ST will be strong. Harmony is a joke. Unless all the existing golds which need 5 elves or 5 dwarves to break-even are changed, there wont be any good card to support the Harmony. Lets see.
MO:
If bleeding can be stopped by killing the unit which gave bleeding or boosting the bleeding unit (or something cheap), then it is a fair mechanics. Otherwise, it is just too powerful. The card that was introduced breaks even on deploy and can get +1 guaranteed or +3, which seems insane. But I hope there is a simple answer for bleeding.
SK:
Yes, why not? +3 easily. Even if Bloodthirst 3 is not achieved, +3 is still too good. But at this point, I am not shocked to see MO and SK gets more powerful cards than the rest of the factions.

I am sure NG will get amazing cards too.

I am afraid, with more and more bloodthirst cards, Arnjolf will become more and more unbalanced, not to mention, that he is unflavourful. Adding "spies" (units, that you did not put into your ranks) into your ranks is Nilfgaard thing, not Skelliges'.

Why am I even surprised people just ignore all reason and ignore the turn requirement on the monster bronze ?
It is ok, it is not an outstanding bronze, it requires a large enough body to target and then one needs to wait 2 turns or even 4 in case the bond works (in case bond actually requires 2 of the same bronzes that should become a mediocre keyword), 1 more turn and Dash goes off and that card is proactive (in case you are willing to go into removal or use Eredin on it).
Without the bond this card is a Nekker Warrior that gets exactly 1 thrive.
I am not saying it is bad, however the assumption of it being insane is just insane.
And besides I am all for stronger low provision cards, the lucksacking part of either drawing your low provision cards and getting screwed over by that or not drawing them is just awful design.

The Scoiatael card looks really great (also given that I like the harmony playstyle noone uses (yet)), a 2 point 2 removal card with Poison and a somewhat stronger thrive keyword.
So it is comparable to Drowner, only that the additional races necessarily give thrive value and the order in which you play them does not matter, thus being less restricted than thrive.
To be fair Poison (at this stage) looks worse than movement, while Harmony looks stronger than thrive, making this somewhat close to a Drowner.

As for Windhalm ... it honestly looks pathetic against Crach and amazing against almost everything else.
In the worst case it is a 4 point card that either baits a lock or damage, in the best case it is a 2 points per turn engine starting at 4.

Last edited:
so how things are looking for NR with the new card sets incoming? RN all engines die to SK which is being played by players mostly. Can we get zeal for NR like Coral did or something to survive so we get 5 points value out of 5 PV?

Top Bottom