Introducing GWENT: The Witcher Card Game

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
Introducing GWENT: The Witcher Card Game

In GWENT, you’ll clash with your friends in fast-paced duels that combine bluffing, on-the-fly decision making and careful deck construction. The game is played over a best-of-three series of rounds, as players unleash their hand by slinging spells and diverse units with special abilities and use clever tricks to deceive their opponents.

GWENT will be available at release for Xbox One, PC and PlayStation 4, GWENT is a free to play game that puts you, not your cards, in the center of the action.

“I would like to thank all the fans for supercharging us to make standalone GWENT happen. Thousands of e-mails in dozens of languages coming from all around the world, the phone calls, the forum posts, and more than 40 fan made versions – all this, and everything in between, didn’t go unnoticed,” said Marcin Iwiński, CD PROJEKT co-founder. “Yes, we were mysteriously quiet after the launch of The Witcher 3, but during all this time we were hard at work on what we just unveiled today – GWENT: The Witcher Card Game. We’ve taken all that heart and energy you gave us and put it into GWENT,” continues Iwiński. "If you enjoyed GWENT in The Witcher 3, I think I don’t have to convince you to sign-up for beta. If you hadn’t tried it yet, there’s no better time. Go register, play the beta for free starting from September and share your feedback with us. Tell us what you like, and what you don’t. Tell us what we should change or improve. We made this game for you, so let’s shape it together."

For more information check out the official GWENT website here.

Be sure to follow and subscribe to our social channels:

Very good news. Appreciate the effort to add new abilities, cards and optimalize all decks.

But I'm disappointed by the design overall. It looks really, really bad. Some cards look nice, but some (like Zoltan) look too cartoonish. The table is far from decent. Game reminds me more Heartstone than a card game based on a mature Witcher universe. I expected something unique and original from you - rebels (as you call yourselves).
And never thought you will ever introduce microtransactions. :cry:

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure this game will be awesome and I'm gonna spend a lot of great hours on it, but don't like the direction you took.

Very good news. Appreciate the effort to add new abilities, cards and optimalize all decks.

But I'm disappointed by the design overall. It looks really, really bad. Some cards look nice, but some (like Zoltan) look too cartoonish. The table is far from decent. Game reminds me more Heartstone than a card game based on a mature Witcher universe. I expected something unique and original from you - rebels (as you call yourselves).
And never thought you will ever introduce microtransactions. :cry:

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure this game will be awesome and I'm gonna spend a lot of great hours on it, but don't like the direction you took.

If I understand this correctly, microtransactions won't enable you to buy cards --> build an OP deck. So it's pretty much just extras like skins in CS:GO etc.

But yeah, waiting for a beta key as to be able to verify this myself:smiling2:

Microtransactions are just a bad idea, regardless of how they are used in the game. Anti-DRM and lack of micro-transactions is what I typically associate with CDPR, and to see them implement that in a free-to-play game, which I also generally avoid, leaves somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth. I will reserve judgment until the final product is released, though.

Anti-DRM and lack of micro-transactions is what I typically associate with CDPR
why, though? cdpr never even commented on microtransactions afaik, so you can only base that on your personal opinions.

I don't see a problem with microtransactions in any free game, if
  • they aren't aggressively pushing it
  • you can get everything you can pay for in a reasonable timeframe for free
  • paying players don't trump free ones.
they gotta make money somehow, and making the game free makes it available to a lot more people.

why, though? cdpr never even commented on microtransactions afaik, so you can only base that on your personal opinions.

Hence why I said "I will reserve judgment until the final product is released."

And yes, I realize that they have to make money. I just would have preferred that they release a premium version for $50-60 and call it a day like all of their previous titles.

Micro-transactions are generally abused by developers, and even the most ethical companies like CDPR might be tempted to take advantage of the consumer.

It's also at odds with the way they marketed TW3. Remember all the fuss they made about not charging for DLC or trivial minutiae? "We only ask consumers to pay for meaningful content like full-fledged expansions." I don't like to be nickle and dimed. That's something I associate with EA, not the REDs. It sets a bad precedent, and I don't want to see something like this end up in other games like CP 2077.

Last edited:
So this is really happening and this is not some kind of delayed April fools? :D Wow!

I'm having a bit of mixed feelings right now. It's really great that we finally get a Gwent game to play with living opponents! I really, really appreciate it! :) I'm so going to beat everyone in these forums!

Everyone is so going to kick my ass...

I have to say though, it looks a bit weird and messy. Should I say... cheap? It might be a matter of getting used to. I remember when I played Gwent first time. It was pure chaos and I didn't understand anything. Can you believe me, it felt boring and stupid! But oh boy when I got the hang of it... Now, after thousands of Gwent games I just love it and I'm very addicted to it :D Just yesterday I spent an hour just by playing Gwent. But if there are enough good skins where to choose...

And then we get into the next subject. Microtransactions :ermm: I have been avoiding every game that includes those. This is the thing I feared the most with online Gwent. If it doesn't affect your deck power, it might be ok. Now I just have to trust CDPR that they make this work properly, so that this thing doesn't ruin the game. And then there is another point of view... We all said that expansions cost so little that it almost felt like robbery :D Like I said with the main game too. I would have willingly payed more. So now is my chance to do that. I can support CDPR even more. If this game is as awesome as it is in Witcher 3 (or even better), I guess they deserve every penny. Specially if you are not "forced" to pay.

And then all the goodies! This is freaking awesome! :animier: Crafting cards sounds interesting and there seems to be other new things too. I'm very interested to see this. And I'm definitely going to try this! So thank you, thank you, thank you so much for making this possible. I just can't wait that this is coming out (See? I already forgot those microtransactions). And I'm betting that you are going to get more than enough beta testers. I'll have to try my luck too with that :D I really hope that cross-playing with all platforms will be available at some point. I know several Gwent fans with PC and PS4, but no one with X1.

Ah, this eases the pain caused by the end of Geralt's story. There is yet again something super interesting coming from REDS!

Edit: Almost forgot... Nice looking forum! :D

Last edited:
I very like the idea, I've been waiting for a gwent game so long... But a couple of things make me feel not ultra hyped: first I would prefer a gwent mobile app (more easy to play with) and also I don't like much table and card layout (the original one is awesome IMO)... By the way good job CDPR :)

Yea for Team Gwent!!

I just saw the XBox E3 vid on my XBox. So I was sitting there watching, then I heard them announce something like one of the biggest growing game developing companies (Or something like that), and I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if they were talking about CDPR, but I know that they already released B&W so it won't be CDPR".

Then I saw the company logo and I yelled out "Holy F***ing S**T!!!" Watched the vid, jaw dropped and dumbfounded. Wow, I couldn't be happier. I can't wait. I signed up for the Beta, hope I get picked.

Riven-Twain said:
The closed beta will launch in September 2016 for PC, Xbox One, and, eventually, PlayStation 4. Additional information and details may be found in the official FAQ.

I am laughing at Sony right now. Sorry, had to get a dig on the PS4 players. They are always nagging us XB1 users about how our system is far less than the PS4. And they are right, I'll freely admit it. But wait for XBox Scorpio, it'll leave PS4 Nano in the dust.

---------- Updated at 03:04 AM ----------

It will make the physical cards useless now. Everyone will choose this one. A bit dissapointed.
I don't see that at all. Who is to stop people from having fellow Gwent player friends over to your house to play it together in person? But what this will do for me is let me play against others and keep me from opening the box sets. I wanted to keep them as collector items. By seeing a lot of videos on YouTube of people opening their decks and playing them, that makes it a lower number of unopened collector sets.

BadWolf

I just saw the XBox E3 vid on my XBox. So I was sitting there watching, then I heard them announce something like one of the biggest growing game developing companies (Or something like that), and I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if they were talking about CDPR, but I know that they already released B&W so it won't be CDPR".

Then I saw the company logo and I yelled out "Holy F***ing S**T!!!" Watched the vid, jaw dropped and dumbfounded. Wow, I couldn't be happier. I can't wait.

Haha :D CDPR still keeps giving us new and wonderful stuff. I wonder what else they are still hiding ;) Those sneaky bastards...

It will make the physical cards useless now. Everyone will choose this one. A bit dissapointed.

Oh no no no... There are still lots of places where it's fun to play with real cards.

Although I have opened just one deck so far. I want to save those unopened decks and hope that there will be new deck sets so that I can buy doubles. Then I can have my collectors sets and others for use :) (Since I think I'm not going to be totally sober when I play with my friends and accidents tend to happen...)

---------- Updated at 12:11 PM ----------

I am laughing at Sony right now. Sorry, had to get a dig on the PS4 players. They are always nagging us XB1 users about how our system is far less than the PS4. And they are right, I'll freely admit it. But wait for XBox Scorpio, it'll leave PS4 Nano in the dust.

Don't laugh, this is not funny :(

There is nothing wrong with the X1 than Microsoft. Otherwise it would be fine. 360 was (is) my favorite console from the last generation. There is only Microsoft in it that makes it terrible to use. Other day I tried 40 minutes to get to play with it. It kept asking me optional e-mail (there already was one) and didn't let me skip that "safety for my own good" part. After putting and deleting 10 new e-mail addresses there, I was ready to kill someone. Several e-mail addresses and nervous breakdowns later it finally let me skip that freaking thing. And I don't even start with other problems I have had with Microsoft things...

Already registered earlier today. I would very much like an android version as well. Would be super fun on the go.

Just saw the E3 Gwent announcement release video as a YouTube ad. Still stoked!!! Oh please pick me! To quote U.S. rock 'n Roll artist Tom Petty:

"The waiting is the hardest part,
Everyday you see one more card,
You take it on faith
You take it to the heart,
The Waiting is the hardest part"*

BadWolf

*excerpt from "The Waiting" By Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

It's also at odds with the way they marketed TW3. Remember all the fuss they made about not charging for DLC or trivial minutiae? "We only ask consumers to pay for meaningful content like full-fledged expansions." I don't like to be nickle and dimed. That's something I associate with EA, not the REDs. It sets a bad precedent, and I don't want to see something like this end up in other games like CP 2077.
That was the Witcher 3 and this is a different game altogether. We'd do well to remember that it takes two to tango. EA gets away with it because there's a market for their shitty products, if people brushed EA aside then it'd crumble.

One would like to think CDPR won't become like EA simply because their current success is (at least in part) due to their commitment to quality and listening to their audience, but if the worse should come to pass then it'd up to the consumer to walk away... or to keep buying.

Game is for free, so I don't understand people that complain about microtransactions.
Every Free to play game have it, but no one forcing you to buy anything and you can have fun for long time without spending a penny.

You know what - I'm not fun of microtransactions either but for all GREAT things CD Projekt Red did in the last year and still continue to do so - I will support them by spending some money in Card Game because they fully deserve it.

Thx.

Top Bottom