Introducing Novigrad — the newest GWENT expansion

+
... but there is also the gameplay and the new Crown mechanic looks pretty cool.
I beg the different. Didn't want to start on it.

Also am really worried about the dual-factions cards. This thing I can see turning into a balancing nightmare pretty fast.

@Charles5pencer
You know what, I was trying to be nice. I was trying to respond to your points (which i did understand btw, thanks) in a way that didn't undermind your opinions but still pointed out other views. I read the entire wall of text and rather than just giving one big answer i took the extra effort and answered point for point in a structured way.
And now - seeing that you've answered with and Even bigger wall of text - and haven't tried to understand anyone else's point of view, instead throwing out accusations - basically seeing you respond to every courtesy with rudeness and the classic "who cares what you say, you didn't understand My One True Thought"
- Seeing all this I really regret giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I am disapointed a lot for several reasons. I will name a few:

Frequency between releasing new expansions and gathering reward points for unlocking leaders trees is unbalanced and I am falling behind even faster than before, because there was longer period between Thronebreaker and Crimson Curse, than is between Crimson Curse and Syndicate. I doubt, if I would have even been able to catch up lack of reward points if I would play 4 hours every day. I would very much like to either increase frequency of gaining reward points or decreasing frequency of releasing expansions with their reward trees.

I absolutely agree with this. I consider myself a regular player, but I am not able to play so much time to follow what looks a high-frequency expansion releases rate.

I was trying to respond to your points (which i did understand btw, thanks) in a way that didn't undermind your opinions but still pointed out other views.
If you did so, I am afraid you did not try enough. I interpreted your reply as a clear attempt to undermine my points. I also wonder, why do you bring others views into my personal feedback to expansion? Doing so, you are clearly attempting to change my mind. I wrote that feedback to developers, not to you. By presenting views of others in reply to my personal feedback, you are clearly coming into dialogue mode, where you are trying to affect somebody elses opinion. Why would you want to do this and attempt to change subjective monologue (that is what my feedback is) into objective dialogue (that is where opinions of others matter as well as evaluating of matters from global point of view).

I have no doubt, you are trying to undermine my points, but I am not sure, if you yourself are aware of it.

Huh, didn't expect the expansion to drop so soon. Seems like this will be fun; I expect a sizeable amount of changes to cards we already have once the expansion comes, which could really shake up the meta and make for a fun season.

Huh, didn't expect the expansion to drop so soon. Seems like this will be fun; I expect a sizeable amount of changes to cards we already have once the expansion comes, which could really shake up the meta and make for a fun season.

I am more interested in the balancing changes than I currently am with the new faction.

I am more interested in the balancing changes than I currently am with the new faction.
No one mentioned nothing about balancing old cards last night. I am expecting perhaps some minor tweaks here or there, but nothing actually serious.

Hahahaha, called it, new faction being some sort of criminals or bandits, like more than year ago.

But given the crime theme and orange faction color, I expected Salamandra to be featured quite prominently.

Also it is really weird seeing Eternal Fire dudes throw in with the mob, I expected them to turn up in some Redania/Order of Flaming Rose expansion.

Given we have got Touissant, vampires and dryads people clamored for a long time, only major omission is aforementioned Redania (Ofier, Zerrikania don't have much material and to be frank neither does Kovir-Poviss). I fail to see how it can be added since all the other factions lack the potential new subgroup that can balance the addition of Redania.

If will ever be 7th faction, Redania/Order of Flaming Rose/Salamandra combination would be the only logical choice. Of course monsters would than have to relinguish their color, changing it to yellow or gray or something

I fail to see how it can be added since all the other factions lack the potential new subgroup that can balance the addition of Redania.
If Redania joins NR, then Kovir/Salamandra can join Sindicate, gnomes/halflings ST, Cidaris/Kerack SK and wraiths/vodyanoi MO. As for NG, it could get more stuff from its Provinces.

Given we have got Touissant, vampires and dryads people clamored for a long time, only major omission is aforementioned Redania (Ofier, Zerrikania don't have much material and to be frank neither does Kovir-Poviss). I fail to see how it can be added since all the other factions lack the potential new subgroup that can balance the addition of Redania.
ST: Halflings and Gnomes are still missing, as well as town-anderlings
MO: Wraithes, cursed units as well as Dagons followers
NG: a lot of there provinces don't have that much content yet, like Maecht and Medinna
SK: not much missing, but at least Brokvar and Tordarroch have hardly content yet
SY: as you said yourself, Salamandra is still missing and additionally the order of Flaming Rose and Renfi and her group

If Redania joins NR, then Kovir/Salamandra can join Sindicate, gnomes/halflings ST, Cidaris/Kerack SK and wraiths/vodyanoi MO. As for NG, it could get more stuff from its Provinces.

Heh I forgot about vodyanoi and gnomes, but still they are real lacking in content options especially compared to Redania.

I doubt Cidaris Kerack would be a good fit in SK, they are closer to NR in every regard, and again have like 5 characters each, compared to Redania it's nothing.

And where would Order of Flaming Rose be than, they have more content than gnomes, vodyanoi, Cidaris and Kovir combined.

Maybe some dual faction set, if you count their supersoldiers as monsters but it would be a stretch

Cidaris and Kerack are much more marine than typical Northern Realms. Kerack was basically founded by a pirate, Cidaris tried to invade Skelige a couple of times and Bremervoord (Cidarian vassal) had a duke who married a mermaid. Ah, and Lytta "Coral" Neyd served the king of Kerack.
Post automatically merged:

Bronze units are no problem since they don't represent specific characters anymore. Golds are trickier, but in the stream devs said that Gwent could start making lore for itself (and basically started given most of the Sindicate cards).

Last edited:
Cidaris and Kerack are much more marine than typical Northern Realms. Kerack was basically founded by a pirate, Cidaris tried to invade Skelige a couple of times and Bremervoord (Cidarian vassal) had a duke who married a mermaid.

Bronze units are no problem since they don't represent specific characters anymore. Golds are trickier, but in the stream devs said that Gwent could start making lore for itself (and basically started given most of the Sindicate cards).

When I think about it more, it think you are right, from this point it looks like probably path forward. They played fast and loose with faction identity before, case in point Scoia'tael

I still have doubts about holding Redania in reserve and I am adamant that at this point Redania/Order/Salamandra would make only logical 7th faction.

But it is still possible Redania was held back for another Witcher Tales instalement like Rivia Lyria was for the Thronebreaker.

They said in stream that they originally planned Redania but changed their minds because it would be too similar to NR. So I guess Radovid will rejoin NR and Flaming Rose might be dual between NR and Sindicate.

They said in stream that they originally planned Redania but changed their minds because it would be too similar to NR. So I guess Radovid will rejoin NR and Flaming Rose might be dual between NR and Sindicate.

Didn't know that, but still they can make up new mechanics that would fit Redania in the meantime.

I mean your reasoning is on spot, but I am still holding out hope :)

I absolutely agree with this. I consider myself a regular player, but I am not able to play so much time to follow what looks a high-frequency expansion releases rate.

The reason i quit heartstone was the fact that they started releasing expansions very fast and was hard to keep up so the new direction they are heading is very bad in my opinion. Even the intro for the expansion is similar to the heartstone style.

The reason i quit heartstone was the fact that they started releasing expansions very fast and was hard to keep up so the new direction they are heading is very bad in my opinion.
Not that I really want to be CDPR advocate here (I am one of those disgruntled Beta players), but this game was put on ice for 6+ months last year. I can only imagine they were working on some of this for some time and are now throwing all the ideas out in sort of a rapid fashion, disregarding the balance of the existing cards, but trying to shake the stalling of the game (because of badly designed cards).

Didn't know that, but still they can make up new mechanics that would fit Redania in the meantime
Mechanics can be always made, but I dont't like an idea of adding new factions just because it is posible. Redania is culturally pretty much NR, it is in fact one of its core kingdoms. I'd like to see expanding the current factions instead of adding another "medieval European kingdom". New mechanics can be always given to current factions, if the new faction is about to exist, I'd prefer one that is culturally "other" enough.

For now, we have four "European" factions: German/Slavic/English NR, Roman/Spanish NG, mercantile Sindicate and Nordic/Celtic SK. ST is nice and distinct (yes, many of their units pretty-much European as well, but are not humans but dwarves and elves) and MO is truly unique though personally I don't play it much (it's funnier to roleplay a mighty jarl than a mindless oversized bug).

The easiest way to create a culturally distinct faction would be obviously mixing Ofir, Zerrikania, Haakland, Zangvebar and all the other "distant lands", but I think it could be taken as an offence tbh (throwing countries inspired by Asia, Africa and Native America into one faction while we have four factions based on Europe would be at least controversial, be honest).

If I were to pick, I'd say Zerrikania+Haakland - they border each other and both are clannish, steppe nations - or Far South (Ofier, Zangvebar, Hannu, Barsa). The latter could seem kinda forced as well (Ofieri are Arabic and Zangvebarian are Black African) but in lore they seem to be mentioned together, so an alliance could be possible.

Kovir would also make a decent faction if mixed with further Far North (mammoths, white dragons, hell yeah), but since many SK cards are already snow-themed and the commerce is a focus of Sindicate, I can see there could be a trouble with making it distinct.

Last edited:
The reason i quit heartstone was the fact that they started releasing expansions very fast and was hard to keep up so the new direction they are heading is very bad in my opinion. Even the intro for the expansion is similar to the heartstone style.

Following HS steps are not good news for me :(

Top Bottom