Introducing Novigrad — the newest GWENT expansion

+
Not that I really want to be CDPR advocate here (I am one of those disgruntled Beta players), but this game was put on ice for 6+ months last year. I can only imagine they were working on some of this for some time and are now throwing all the ideas out in sort of a rapid fashion, disregarding the balance of the existing cards, but trying to shake the stalling of the game (because of badly designed cards).
I think you may be right.

If a building has precarious foundations and structural issues though, it is usually wise to deal with them before decorating. Unless you're just looking for a quick sale...

PS - Also a disgruntled Beta player. I'm giving HC a good go and trying very hard to like it, but it's some way off yet.

That would annoy me greatly.
What can I tell you - get used to it around here.

... Also a disgruntled Beta player. I'm giving HC a good go and trying very hard to like it, but it's some way off yet.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Last days I am having fun with Usurper in Seasonal. Pity if you missed last Season' Seasonal - it was actually pretty fun. This one is OK but it can get really frustrating with the amount of removal.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Last days I am having fun with Usurper in Seasonal. Pity if you missed last Season' Seasonal - it was actually pretty fun. This one is OK but it can get really frustrating with the amount of removal.
Seasonal mode is the only reason I'm still playing, to be honest. It at least allows a little extra creativity. Agree that this month's specials fiesta isn't particularly enthralling though. Last month's bleed/vitality was fun. I actually found the Elves seasonal most fun of all. Trying to construct your deck so that you could control which matching provision cards you pulled added an extra part to the puzzle. Just a shame that Assimilate was a bit overbearing.

That's Gudrun Bjornsdottir, leader of the Tidecloaks, a gang which harasses the Novigrad harbours.
So I was right; Instead of Dijkstra we get an unknown generic character. That's a shame.
Am I really the only one surprised by his conspicious absence?
PS. I get that like with Hemmelfart they were trying to flesh out more gangs in the city. And I'm sure the expansion will be fun.
But Maaaan, I'm annoyed by the lack of Dijkstra.

Instead of Dijkstra we get an unknown generic character.
A new character, let's say. Whether she's generic or not is yet to be seen.

It may be worth noting that there were no Skelligian pirates -- nor female ones, at that -- operating in Novigrad when Geralt encountered Dijkstra there in Witcher III; so, in that regard she and her gang are unique. Skelligians tend to prefer operating offshore, rather than in a city.

I'm annoyed by the lack of Dijkstra.
I'm intrigued. What particular aspects of his personality make him so popular as a projected leader?

Personally, I always thought him a bit of a pompous, condescending, windbag -- who made rather poor estimates of people -- regardless of how many times his genius as a spy, diplomat, and administrator were extolled by others.

Ah, DJ Extra. I never really played him myself, but I do kind of miss him because he was such a "phenomenon".

Also intrigued by the mystery narrator character who flips the coin. The voice was unfamiliar so I can't even begin to guess who it might be. June 28th is only a week away, though.

Also intrigued by the mystery narrator character who flips the coin. The voice was unfamiliar so I can't even begin to guess who it might be. June 28th is only a week away, though.
He also appears in the background story, doing exactly the same flipping a coin. There he is the one forging the alliance between the 5 groups.

Being a mysterious cloaked character he should be someone well known by all logic, or else his reveal would be a lot less impactfull. If it were reallly a new character with no previous appearance, they would have switched him for sure with Hemmelfahrt, thus making the reveal that the Eternal Fire is involved a lot more surprising.

But the number of known characters for that cloaked figure are pretty limited. The most likely candidate would be Dijkstra, which fits into the timeline and his character. Else Henry var Attre might be a suspect too. The last but less likely character that I could imagine is Gaunter.

The most likely candidate would be Dijkstra, which fits into the timeline and his character.
He is also the only member of the Big Four not included in the trailer.

Maybe it's Vimme Vivaldi; he certainly has coins to flip, and influence in the city. Not to mention he plays gwent in Witcher 3. Hehe. The voice didn't sound anything like him, though.

Maybe it's Vimme Vivaldi; he certainly has coins to flip, and influence in the city. Not to mention he plays gwent in Witcher 3. Hehe. The voice didn't sound anything like him, though.
From the way the figure was described in the story, I doubt that is a dwarf or a halfling as those would be too small.

A new character, let's say. Whether she's generic or not is yet to be seen.

It may be worth noting that there were no Skelligian pirates -- nor female ones, at that -- operating in Novigrad when Geralt encountered Dijkstra there in Witcher III; so, in that regard she and her gang are unique. Skelligians tend to prefer operating offshore, rather than in a city.

I'm intrigued. What particular aspects of his personality make him so popular as a projected leader?

Personally, I always thought him a bit of a pompous, condescending, windbag -- who made rather poor estimates of people -- regardless of how many times his genius as a spy, diplomat, and administrator were extolled by others.

I doubt it will be pirates per se, that wouldn't make sense for a lot of reasons. I'm guessing it will be more like a sailor-themed dock mafia. Even before knowing the character, I figured that was what they were aiming at - creating a new faction (not as in NR etc, but as in a group) same as they did with Hemmelfart. That's fine, I just wish it didn't come at the cost o D.
Whoever She is, she's not in the original Big Four so if they were going to switch that around they might as well have kept Dijkstra and added her in as well.

As for your other thought - He's popular because he's got some character to him and as opposed to the other Big Four people actually know him as opposed to the other Big Four characters, even more so with Hemmel since he's never even shows up in Witcher 3.
But generally I think people like him because he's fairly complex and interesting as a character. People always like a character with various shades to him, and applies to Dijkstra well.
I think he's a well-written character. He IS a pompous and condescending man, but not a windbag - that's the point. A windbag puts on a facade but has nothing to back it up, I don't think that's the case with Dikstra's character. He's a mastermind and a patriot... who just happens to be a bit of a jackass as well. And he's not just called those things, his actions show it.
Really I think what may give people the wrong idea about Dijkstra is that he's only friendly towards Geralt under the right circumstances (if the player successfully helped him with the bank heist) and the fact that the finale "Spies" (calling it that to avoid spoilers) questline is very badly written. That part of the plot should have show off his character in all his morally grey glory but instead it Does make him act like an idiot and doesn't let him make his case (and there's a Massive case to be made for backing him at that point)

Good day to everyone. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows will there be leader spotlights for this expansion? I really enjoyed those cool short videos that show abilities of new leaders.

Top Bottom