Inventory CTD

+
Hey All.

I'm having a new issue that just started today, I seem to crash almost instantly anytime I enter the inventory screen.

A little background here I just built a new PC, I'm running a I9 processor, RTX 4080, 64 Gigs of Ram. A ton of cooling, and I'm not seeing any issues on my system diagnostics, so I don't think it's anything with the new rig.

I've had the new rig up for about a week now, CP2077 was the first game I installed and had been running fine, getting about 100 FPS on ultra settings even with mods running. (Not using path tracing It causes some issues flickering lights, weird floating particles, shiny surfaces that should not be shiny, etc...) Everything was great until today, now all of a sudden, I'm crashing anytime I enter the inventory menu, andI haven't changed any settings or added any new mods since yesterday. I've tried searching for some answers before posting this. I've seen a few people mention menu crashes on older updates of the game, and I've seen people report the issue with both modded any unmodded games. Most of the suggestions I've seen involve tweaking graphics settings, which is fine, but none can really iron out what might be causing the issue.

Before I go nuts trying to figure it out on my own, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has any thoughts on the best way to fix this.

Milaal

Forum regular
Well, I myself don’t but I’ve certainly heard of people with issues such as the game slowing down after opening the menu. If you’re committed to not uninstalling any mods or doing a clean uninstall/reinstall of the game (totally understandable for a game installed just a week ago) I’d double check with the mini forums for the mods you do use firstly. Definitely turn off Chromatic Aberration and Film Grain if you haven’t already and *maybe* drop any Psycho settings to Ultra (though that shouldn’t be an issue with your specs (congrats by the way)). What kind of mods are you using?

Hmm. Quick internet search suggests it may have something to do with Cascading Shadows, so the solution I saw was to turn that to High if on Low, Low if on High, and Low if Medium. If this works, please reach out to Support and let them know you’re suffering from this as well. They might request you do a clean uninstall/reinstall of the game just in case, but doing a clean reinstall of the graphics drivers is obviously ludicrous based on the background.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Most of the mods I'm using are cosmetic/gear related. I have a 2k texture pack installed to make the environments look a little better. I have all of the basic pre-req mods installed (CET, Archive-XL, Tweak-XL, Codeware, Equipment-EX, ETC...) Atelier, Virtual Car Dealer, Custom Level Cap, enhanced craft and then mostly just gear/clothing packs. On my old PC I was using Let there be flight and inworld navigation but it looks like 1.62 broke literally all of that authors mods so I'm avoiding all of them until updated. I thought maybe Equipment-EX could be part of the problem since that changes the wardrobe and some menu settings, but none of the reading I've done would suggest that's the problem, and I've checked that mods page on nexus mods.

I already had everything set to ultra or high. I tried path tracing and Ray Tracing on psycho, but while they "Worked" they created effects that just were a bit off putting and looked a little odd (could be my monitor?) I disable film grain by default just because I don't like how it looks, but I'll also turn off Chromatic Aberration and see if that helps.

Before I go nuts trying to figure it out on my own, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has any thoughts on the best way to fix this.
Yeah, I know how to fix it (> clean install), but you won't like it I guess :)
But to try to figure out why it crash :
The game only crash in the inventory ? Not in the other menu tabs ?
Did you try to reload an older save ?
(if the game didn't crash yesterday, try to load a save created yesterday and check what have changed between yesterday and today. Like a piece of clothe, a cyberware, a wardrobe set, a tattoo, hairstyle...)
If it's not possible, try to unequip all your stuff using the stash/wardrobe to see if the game still crash with an "empty" inventory.

Milaal

Forum regular
Thanks,

Most of the mods I'm using are cosmetic/gear related. I have a 2k texture pack installed to make the environments look a little better. I have all of the basic pre-req mods installed (CET, Archive-XL, Tweak-XL, Codeware, Equipment-EX, ETC...) Atelier, Virtual Car Dealer, Custom Level Cap, enhanced craft and then mostly just gear/clothing packs. On my old PC I was using Let there be flight and inworld navigation but it looks like 1.62 broke literally all of that authors mods so I'm avoiding all of them until updated. I thought maybe Equipment-EX could be part of the problem since that changes the wardrobe and some menu settings, but none of the reading I've done would suggest that's the problem, and I've checked that mods page on nexus mods.

I already had everything set to ultra or high. I tried path tracing and Ray Tracing on psycho, but while they "Worked" they created effects that just were a bit off putting and looked a little odd (could be my monitor?) I disable film grain by default just because I don't like how it looks, but I'll also turn off Chromatic Aberration and see if that helps.
Don’t forget to look at Cascading Shadows. If changing that is the solution beside to report it to Support as it’s becoming a more well known bug.

Just an update, everything seems to be working now.

I disabled Chromatic Aberration, inventory was working fine, no crashes, but I had a crash entering into a BD. After playing around with my settings a little and adjusting my mod load order (Renaming files, and deleting unnecessary/redundant mods) I'm getting no crashes and running at a stable FPS of like 140 with most settings still on ultra, SO I'm not 100% sure what fixed it exactly but I'm going to guess it was something in my load order or a conflicting setting that was the issue.

If I come across any other issues or I'm able to definitively identify the problem, I'll post an update just in case anyone else is trying to trouble shoot a similar issue.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Top Bottom