Inventory size, Holsters/Belts/Straps/Backpacks, Weapon concealment - immersion elements

+

Which type of character inventory do you prefer?

• 1. A more realistic inventory with several weapons at hand

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • 2. Classical RPG inventories with large arsenals

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 3. Something else - explain in the comments

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
I'm happy with everything that increases immersion, including reducing/murdering compulsive looting.

That being said, it was suggested already back in 2018 and deliberately ignored together with the removal of DMG sponges and alike.

Yeah, including crafting in a game ALWAYS necessitates increased inventory space. Tho a good many games (un)intentionally ignore this (spend real $ for increased inventory!). So just by virtue of there being a crafting system in CP2077 there will inventory issues the developers, and ultimately players, will have to deal with.

As to seeing everything you're carrying on your character model.
HIGHLY impractical due to the sheer amount of artwork and 3D rigging required.
That can be worked around by having the crafting mainly done in personal workshops that have their own individual inventory. Ie fallout 4 settlement work benches.

Yeah, including crafting in a game ALWAYS necessitates increased inventory space. Tho a good many games (un)intentionally ignore this (spend real $ for increased inventory!). So just by virtue of there being a crafting system in CP2077 there will inventory issues the developers, and ultimately players, will have to deal with.

As to seeing everything you're carrying on your character model.
HIGHLY impractical due to the sheer amount of artwork and 3D rigging required.
Not that impractical.

If you tune down the amount of guns you can carry with you to a realistic level (3-4) you can have them show up on player.
Arma 3 did it. Ghost Recon: Wildlands did it. Mass Effect did it.

Witcher 1 did it too. It had 4 weapon slots, and you could see them all on Geralt. (link)

Kingdom Come: Deliverance did it too. You see all the equipped items, armor and clothes in LAYERS and various combinations with no clipping. (and it was a First Person point of View Game too)

KC: Deliverance also did the horse inventory thing, where you can move most of your stuff to horse.
Using a car for loot storage seems like an easy and sensible gameplay mechanic.

Come on CDPR, don't let them Czech bastards get the better of ya
. :sneaky:

That can be worked around by having the crafting mainly done in personal workshops that have their own individual inventory. Ie fallout 4 settlement work benches.
Make the workbench directly connected to the car inventory, where you store your junk.
Problem solved.

If you tune down the amount of guns you can carry with you to a realistic level (3-4) you can have them show up on player.

All those games have 3rd person view, so it is easy to see your gear and weapons, from 1st person it would be hard to see weapons on your back, for example.
And if you want realistic inventory space for V, then you car need to be limited to, and if car get unlimited inventory, then there is no reason for V inventory to be limited.

All those games have 3rd person view, so it is easy to see your gear and weapons, from 1st person it would be hard to see weapons on your back, for example.
On the back, yes.
However leg holsters, belts, and shoulder holsters would be visible.

KC: Deliverance doesn't have 3rd person view.

Also:
Mirrors, reflections, inventory view of the character...

And if you want realistic inventory space for V, then you car need to be limited to, and if car get unlimited inventory, then there is no reason for V inventory to be limited.
Says who?
Reason is cleary explained in the opening post - Not carrying an entire arsenal on your person.

Immersion wise, "magic trunk" is considerably better than "magic pockets".
It also brings meaning to loadouts in game.
If you carry everything with you, loadouts are meaningless.

For me the ideal Inventory system would be like this:

- With the character (without body modifications):
A) Weapons: 01 blade/blunt, 01 pistol, 02 main weapons, 3 grenades. This would be the limit.
B) Armor: 01 type of armor only (can't change from inventory).
C) Can carry some extra items on inventory, but equiped items already occupy square spaces (like RE4).
D) You have a limited inventory space.
E) Everything have their own weight. With more weight, you become slower to move and jump.
F) If you carry only one blade/small gun, for example, and no weight, you move faster and fight better.

In car:
A) You can storage additional items.
B) Cars have their own inventory space, which could be considerable bigger than personal inventory.
C) With more weight, the car become slower and heavier to drive, and suspension become lower.
D) You can change some clothes while in the car (jacket, glasses, hats).
E) Sniper cases can only be carried in cars without drawing too much attention.

In the appartment:
A) You can store "infinite" items
B) When you have more items stored than the appartment capacity, the messier it'll look, making items harder to find. Weapons stacks on each other, and clothes piles up if you don't sell the excess.

Loot system:
- Not based on number of weapons or armor dropped. You don't need that to make EDs
- Like in real life, selling a weapon or used clothes from another person wouldn't be accepted, because it would be too suspicious, only in black market it would be accepted and with a very low price.
- Main source of resources should be based on ED (Eurodollar) hacked or dropped by enemies, not by selling looted items.

This is the system I would like to see in the game. What do you guys think?

Not that impractical.

Witcher 1 did it too. It had 4 weapon slots, and you could see them all on Geralt. (link)

Kingdom Come: Deliverance did it too. You see all the equipped items, armor and clothes in LAYERS and various combinations with no clipping. (and it was a First Person point of View Game too)

KC: Deliverance also did the horse inventory thing, where you can move most of your stuff to horse.
Using a car for loot storage seems like an easy and sensible gameplay mechanic.

Come on CDPR, don't let them Czech bastards get the better of ya
. :sneaky:

Hmm, KCD did have clipping issues though. I've played it on console and PC. Both had clipping and related animation issues. They just weren't very common. A better example would be Greedfall. That game had clipping issues all over the place. I believe Outer Worlds had them in places too. Although, I could be remembering wrong. Even if I am not it was more like KCD, in the sense they were uncommon. I don't think they were much of a thing in TES titles though. But again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

KC: Deliverance doesn't have 3rd person view.

Also:
Mirrors, reflections, inventory view of the character...

It had strictly first person gameplay, yes. Cutscenes and whatnot offered plenty of opportunities to see Henry though. Based on marketing CP2077 allegedly isn't using a typical cutscene system. Instead it keeps you in the moment, so to speak. I'd assume this means far fewer opportunities to see the player character.

Mirrors, reflections, etc. is a fair point. We really don't know how much of that will be going on though. Even if it isn't rare it doesn't sound like a core focus of the game. If it's not a core focus or ends up being uncommon then minimizing the amount of work placed into ensuring any and all gear the character has equipped can be viewed is reasonable.

The inventory screen may be more important but the same applies. It would be nice to see a graphical representation of our gearing choices. It does not need to show every miscellaneous aspect under the sun though.

For me the ideal Inventory system would be like this:

- With the character (without body modifications):
A) Weapons: 01 blade/blunt, 01 pistol, 02 main weapons, 3 grenades. This would be the limit.
B) Armor: 01 type of armor only (can't change from inventory).
C) Can carry some extra items on inventory, but equiped items already occupy square spaces (like RE4).
D) You have a limited inventory space.
E) Everything have their own weight. With more weight, you become slower to move and jump.
F) If you carry only one blade/small gun, for example, and no weight, you move faster and fight better.

In car:
A) You can storage additional items.
B) Cars have their own inventory space, which could be considerable bigger than personal inventory.
C) With more weight, the car become slower and heavier to drive, and suspension become lower.
D) You can change some clothes while in the car (jacket, glasses, hats).
E) Sniper cases can only be carried in cars without drawing too much attention.

In the appartment:
A) You can store "infinite" items
B) When you have more items stored than the appartment capacity, the messier it'll look, making items harder to find. Weapons stacks on each other, and clothes piles up if you don't sell the excess.

Sounds good.

There are definitely benefits to limitations for what you can carry around. Metro Exodus, even though it's not an RPG, is a good example. The weapons you carried would alter how you could or would approach various situations. Although, it was arguably always optimal to roll with something like a shotgun weapon variant (Ashot/Shambler) and a long range and/or stealthy weapon variant (Revolver/Valve/Helsing). The trusty air pellet gun filled the medium range niche suitably.

I should note I tended to play games in this series on Ranger Hardcore and Survival mode or whatever it was called. Given it was kinda sorta a survival game in an apocalyptic world this made sense to me. So, uh, ammo and whatnot was limited. Thus, conserving ammo was important. One of the better ways to do this was to rely on weapons which didn't need to fire lots of bullets/shells/whatever or had retrievable ammo.

And yes... the realism factor.

The only concern I have is whether these type of limitations truly improve the gameplay. The inability to carry the right tool for every conceivable job definitely does have the potential to do so. Being forced into an inventory micro-management mini game arguably does not. Feeling constant incentives to run back to the car/apartment/random storage location of choice moves in the opposite direction. I don't think digging through a mess to find what you want, old Ultima series inventory management style, improves anything.

Ideally, as with most things, there would be a bit of balance here. Enough to create more dynamic gameplay and the feeling it sorta makes sense. Not so much it turns into a tedious nightmare.

Loot system:
- Not based on number of weapons or armor dropped. You don't need that to make EDs
- Like in real life, selling a weapon or used clothes from another person wouldn't be accepted, because it would be too suspicious, only in black market it would be accepted and with a very low price.
- Main source of resources should be based on ED (Eurodollar) hacked or dropped by enemies, not by selling looted items.

Yeah, this is the other side of the coin.... Again, I wish more games would do away with junk and gear collection for the sake of making in-game currency. If it fits the context, by all means. Otherwise, stop making me pick stuff up to sell. And for the love of all that is holy, don't put specific items in the game responsible for making almost everything else obsolete (Witcher set gear....).

And for the love of all that is holy, don't put specific items in the game responsible for making almost everything else obsolete (Witcher set gear....).

I think one of youtuber said that he found legendary shotgun in the store, legendary gear (Witcher Sets....) are in game.

Immersion wise, "magic trunk" is considerably better than "magic pockets".
It also brings meaning to loadouts in game.
If you carry everything with you, loadouts are meaningless.

So "magic trunk" is totally fine and would not impact Immersion, it is not stupid or crazy or totally unrealistic, but "magic pocket" is to big of immersion breaking?
This one magic ability is totally ok, but this magic here who is almost the same it is not ok, that is so stupid.
Also, lets be honest, no one is forcing you to pick up every junk you found in the game.

Better = totally fine?
You need to work on your reading comprehension.

I've already explained the difference.
Without endless personal inventory, loadouts are a thing and you have to plan ahead.
Also, stuffing 1000 kg of inventory into a car is way less immersion breaking that carrying the same inventory on your person.

As restlesdingo32 implied above, developers need to hit the right stroke between realistic/immersive( while not tedious, boring and grinding) and fun/enjoyable on the other hand.
It's a thing of balance.

I've said my piece on what I think would be a good path to achieve that balance.
If you don't like it, fine. Your opinion.

And yes... the realism factor.

The only concern I have is whether these type of limitations truly improve the gameplay. The inability to carry the right tool for every conceivable job definitely does have the potential to do so. Being forced into an inventory micro-management mini game arguably does not. Feeling constant incentives to run back to the car/apartment/random storage location of choice moves in the opposite direction. I don't think digging through a mess to find what you want, old Ultima series inventory management style, improves anything.

I agree, I really hope that the game is not oriented in heavy grinding, or using the fast travel to everything.

It would be better to have some modest inventory, but a lot of shops to buy and sell stuff easily (which is believable because the scenario is based in a highly capitalist society, so the consumption of products will be very high - I presume), or some delivery system by drones, which you can call to sell stuff you don't want or to take your things to your apartment (paying some periodic fee or per transportation fee).

There is a lot of clever ways to make this stuff work without making the gameplay boring.

Do we know which "etiquettes" (I use the Shadowrun game term there) will be associated to each background?
Post automatically merged:

I agree, I really hope that the game is not oriented in heavy grinding

Actually, unless the game is "VERY" generous with skill XP, grinding is what you will do until every skill is at it's maximum level.

Last edited:
Do we know which "etiquettes" (I use the Shadowrun game term there) will be associated to each background?

Is something like that even in CP2077 ? i didn't see any social skills so far in skill tree.

And about inventory problem is there if you think to much about it, nothing force you to pick all junk you came acros, or force you to carry full arsenal in your inventory.

Yup, I'm tired of having 3 pistols, 4 different rifles, 2 shotguns, and a heavy machine gun on me at all times its kinda immersion-breaking... LOL

I realize that game is basically finished and in the phase of polishing, so any new features are highly unlikely to be implemented at this point for the main release.
That being said, I do feel the need to discuss some aspects of gameplay that would add value to the game and it's immersion strength.

Most RPGs (Witcher inculded) have huge inventories that allow the player to carry a truckload of stuff that you don't really need.
Most of it is basically loot to be sold off.
You don't need to carry 8 sets of armour and two dozen firearms with you.

I think this approach to inventories is bad and outdated, and here's why:
1) Carrying 3 assault rifles, 2 snipers, a shotgun, grenade launcher, heavy machine gun, 2 revolvers, a knife and a bat, and 7 armor sets is unrealistic and takes away from the immersion aspect. (looking at you Fallout).
It may be okay if you have a loot oriented game (such as Borderlands) but otherwise, it's detrimental to immersion

2) It devalues the roleplaying aspect.
You don't need to choose what kind of person your character is in this regard - which are his/her weapons of choice? - Because all of them are.
And this makes them feel like impersonal tools and not like the extension of your character. (which is the approach I'd go for)

3) It takes away from gameplay.
You don't need to plan your loadout for confrontations, or pick some optimal weapon set (3-4 weapons) you figure might have you covered.
You carry everything. And you can momentarily change your entire loadout as you please, switching through 10 different guns in a fight.

Metro Exodus did well in this department. You only carried 3 weapons with you and you were able to go through a larger inventory only in the train.
I'd argue that Cyberpunk should go along a similar path and alow you to carry something along the lines:
A) 2 small firearms (pistols, revolvers, small concealable SMG's) + 1 melee weapon (knives, telescope batons, tazers, etc) or
2 melee weapons (swords, sledgehammers, other crazy stuff) + 1 small firearm if you are a melee oriented character.
B) 1 large firearm (assault rifle, sniper, shotgun/automatic shotgun, grenade launcher)
Larger inventory should be made accessible to you through the trunk of your vehicle.
You can set your loadout there as you please there, but once the choice is made, you play with the toys at hand.

Weapons should take up actual physical space, and not materialize from thin air when needed. (looking at Fallout 4 again, GTA also comes to mind)
This means pistols and melee weapons need to be holstered visibly, tucked in a belt, put inside a large pocket if you are carrying a coat.
Carrying them tucked in a belt with a shirt over it, as well as in a coat pocket should provide concealment.

Large weapons should be carried visibly, in hand, or with a shoulder strap on - meaning, if you are carrying a rifle with you, you are visibly armed at all times.
Like this:

Exception would be large weapons that can be disassembled fast into several pieces, and tucked into a backpack or a briefcase.

Meaning that briefcases and backpacks should provide concealment for these special weapons as well.

Carrying a backpack should allow you to expand your inventory (more gadgets, ammo, +1 small firearm slot, + concealable large firearm) but it should reduce your running speed a little and hamper with your stealth abilities.

Anyways, those are my two cents.
Honestly after a lot of thought about this in the past, I am actually at a point where I'm very tired of games attempting to be realistic by limiting the space, or the carry weight of the players inventory or storage space. In-game it always equals directly to an inconvenience and frustrating experience, and never really improves that feel of realism in any way. I rather have unlimited carry weight, and unlimited storage space, and simply not have to worry anymore about extremely inconvenient and frustrating storage space and weight limitations anymore. It would take a large amount of stress and anger and frustrating off my shoulders in the video game, and it would make Cyberpunk2077 a much better experience for me to not have to worry about that stuff anymore.

I just want unlimited character inventory, unlimited backpack space, unlimited storage locker space, and unlimited carry weight, and a nice button that automatically organizes it all. I also don't want to lose any money or items when I die. I know it's a video game, and the distraction of the inconvenience and the frustration and limitation is a much larger hit to my immersion than the unrealistic factor of having unlimited carry weight and inventory would ever possibly be.

I can easily ignore having a giant inventory full of my stuff, but I can't ignore constant limitations and frustrating inconveniences of limited small inventories and constantly going over my carry weight every time I pick anything up.

i like the idea of holding the rest of your inventory in the car boot. you can call it up anyway, so there's no issue about access. i think i saw lockers being included on the map, so perhaps those also act as inventory access points?
a backpack for the smallest amount of carry-able things while in hideouts where you can't access lockers and boot inventory, while having rib and thigh holsters for smaller weapons
  • rib holster holds handguns, tactical knives, or a set of throwing knives; one each side
  • thigh holster holds handguns, tactical knives, machetes, or a set of throwing knives; one each side (i'm caribbean and there are haitians in this game, i better be able to have a cutlass)
  • back holster holds shotguns, rifles, machetes, swords, or bows; only one, except for smg's maybe you can carry two of those
  • backpack for consumables, limited clothing
V isn't military personnel, so she's not gonna walk around looking like rambo. style is important so no one wants to be super obviously carrying a weaponset in the street. i would enjoy needing to buy different body holsters and a backpack.
There might be some V's that try to be rambo though. Not impossible right?

Last edited:

Actually, unless the game is "VERY" generous with skill XP, grinding is what you will do until every skill is at it's maximum level.

Oh, I don't mind grinding CDPR's missions for XP, because as they will follow the same path of The Witcher 3, probably they'll add a lot of interesting stories and the game will be well balanced in that matter.

My problem is with money, as I prefer a more "realistic" inventory system (with limited space and weight - even bullets should have their own weight, in my opinion), forcing the player to grinding loot as the only way to make money is a bad mechanic, because it can make the game very boring, making the player go to the mission, returning to sell the loot, going back to the same place to collect more loot, returning to sell again, etc.

So, instead of making "Mission-Loot-Sell-Money" repetitive cycle, it's preferable to make missions that gives experience and money, and add other activities that gives only money, like buying properties, investing, working in some locations, gambling, etc. With the money player can buy a lot of useful stuff. Of course bosses and some enemies should have unique or rare loot, but leaving their ordinary loot behind shouldn't be a problem.

My problem is with money, as I prefer a more "realistic" inventory system (with limited space and weight - even bullets should have their own weight, in my opinion), forcing the player to grinding loot as the only way to make money is a bad mechanic, because it can make the game very boring, making the player go to the mission, returning to sell the loot, going back to the same place to collect more loot, returning to sell again, etc.
Which is why I said that there should be an [equip] option and a [move to trunk/car] option on items, so you can loot everything while not actually carrying it with you, or having to do several runs to pick up loot.
However, I agree that the main source of income should be actual payment on contracts. Not looting mowed down enemies.
Though some thoughtfully placed valuable items (that make sense in context) that you find occasionally would be cool too.

Top Bottom