Inventory system needs improvement

+
I wanted to start a thread about my experience with the interface and inventory management in CP 2077, but have 0 posts.

The inventory management in CP 2077 really hurt my experience, even though this is such a little thing. To go into inventory the player has to press I, which for some reason takes the player to a different menu and not into the inventory, then click on the inventory tab. Each of these actions involves a short animation. Then to equip an item you need to click on a slot, watch a short animation, look over the items to compare the stats, watch a short animation to go back on the main inventory screen, repeat for all other items... I am only 2 hours into the game, and I already ignore most of the loot because I can't be bothered to go into my inventory.

Also, for some reason leaving a screen (be it the inventory, the map or any other) requires two button presses, because the first Esc takes you to the menu with the Crafting, Inventory buttons and so on.

This should be streamlined in some way. For instance, pressing I should definitely take the player directly into inventory. And it wouldn't hurt to shorten the screen change animation.

Also, there is this distinct "style over substance" vibe about all the menus. I don't mind that on the character screen, because you don't go into it often and don't mind spending some time in it to think about point allocation. But in the inventory and the journal it's just horrendous. It's very hard to see what's going on in the inventory with the red background, but then the weapons also have their own multi-colored backgrounds with small icons in the middle. This is honestly the least user-friendly inventory UI I have seen since The Witcher 1.0, when ingredients were not separated from other items. And in the journal it's just very difficult to read red text with red UI elements around. The brown UI from 2018 definitely looked less striking, but it was probably way more user friendly with its brownish color palette.

Like, just look at the attached image. There is no weapon name, the icon of the katana is barely visible, and there is really barely any meaningful information in here.
1607645965554.png

Why is it so difficult to find info like this? I'm on the PS4 and I cannot get to the inventory at all, neither in my apartment nor anywhere else; I found out that I'm supposed to hit the "game pad" and I've tried that, it says unavailable? So I'm supposed to progress without having a weapon enabled? This is really pissing me off...

Yes indeed, inventory needs a bit of work... also, could you guys please put the mouse cursor back instead of the weird square consolish thing... ? it would help a lot.
Cheers

Like, just look at the attached image. There is no weapon name, the icon of the katana is barely visible, and there is really barely any meaningful information in here.
View attachment 11075012

I agree. Please add icons for weapon type ASAP. By type, I mean power, smart, tech. It would also help to get a sort by > type. I really want to open my weapons, and make sure I have the highest DPS or whatever particular feature of each type.

The other thing I would add it to make clothing sortable by armor.

Another glaring problem is when you come to disassembling or selling items.

1. You usually end up with about 50+ guns that you have to go through one by one. There's no 'Sell/Dissassemble Selected' feature.

2. A good feature will also be the ability to lock items so you don't accidentally sell or scrap them. Happened to me a couple of times.

3. The fact that you can't equip a weapon cause you're not skilled or leveled enough is stupid. They should do it that you can use it but really badly (lots of gun sway etc.)

Guest 4406876

3. The fact that you can't equip a weapon cause you're not skilled or leveled enough is stupid. They should do it that you can use it but really badly (lots of gun sway etc.)
About that it's very hard to recreate, because it wouldn't make sense either. What would make sense in the world of Cyberpunk and that I always experienced in PnP rpg in cp2020 (that was a cool idea from my GM) is to make some weapons requiring a certain cyber implant to be used. But that can be done only when you have real working RPG mechanics with implants that serve a function in a world that has rules, and not just unlocking new way to kill people in this or that way, or to hack this or that for distraction. This game has very simple mechanics, and not even that varied for a game based on Cyberpunk. Many mechanics of 2020 have been completely disregarded, resulting in a generic action game.

What would make sense in the world of Cyberpunk and that I always experienced in PnP rpg in cp2020 (that was a cool idea from my GM) is to make some weapons requiring a certain cyber implant to be used.

That would make sense. Anything is better than "you can use it coz you havent killed enough people to"

This is the sad thing. You can see that the game has the potential to be one of the greatest games out there, just needs some improvements

I hate to suggest for games to 'borrow' from other games, but the Division 2 has perfected (for the most part) all of these issues. You can make something similar but making different enough...

They need to have a perk that lets you mark items for auto disassemble. You can do it with junk items, but I don't want every single consumable item I pick up. It'd be nice to auto disassemble alcohol.

There are several quality of life problems with the inventory.

1. When you mouse over weapons in inventory the order of the two thumbnails reverses depending on which column the item is in. Adding to the confusion, it doesn't consistently compare your same equipped weapon. Instead, it gives priority to a different equipped weapon if you hover over a weapon of the same type. By being aware of this and making sure I disassemble top to bottom instead of left to right I am less prone to disassembling things I don't want to, but... If you aren't paying attention it's very easy to do because you're looking at the wrong thumbnail. I assume the same issue arises if you are vendoring items.

2. When you select an item to equip it to a gear slot, two enormous thumbnails pop up which obscure the slot your are trying to click on. This is disorienting.

3. No confirmation dialog when disassembling iconic items

4. No system to flag items as junk/not junk

4. Tedious "long click" required to craft basic components. If you want to craft, this means you need to "long click" like a zillion times to upgrade green components to blue, purple, orange quality; a huge disincentive for crafting.
Post automatically merged:

They need to have a perk that lets you mark items for auto disassemble. You can do it with junk items, but I don't want every single consumable item I pick up. It'd be nice to auto disassemble alcohol.

I haven't tested but I assume the "disassemble junk automatically" perk destroys all your jewelry. Many of those are worth 750 Eddies apiece.

I would also like to see several quality of life improvements to the Inventory/Crafting/Disassembley. (PC player)
1) A way to set up a construction queue, Ie make this weapon and then mod A, B, C and D.
2) A way to make multiples of stackable items, even if it takes the same amount of time as current. (Ie make 400 epic components.) Should combine with the previous feature.
3) A way to select multiple items for deletion, ie a checkbox in the lower right corner perhaps.
4) Sort order retained on a per page basis.
5) Jewellery to have its own inventory page, so as to seperate it from junk that can be safely disassembled.
6) Components to have their own inventory page.

Top Bottom