Iorveth and Saskia [Spoilers]

+
Yeah, but it's super abstract. By the time we realized that Iorveth's quest wasn't working (he was actually a secondary character in a much bigger story about the war) it was way too late to add something new. About the only thing we'd have had time to do would have been to put his dead body somewhere with a note, which was suggested. I think that would have been a pretty poor conclusion to his story, so it was better to just leave him unresolved.

For an idea of what we need to do to even add a small quest. First I need to draft the quest in paper, get approval from quest lead and the director. This can actually take a couple of weeks, longer if the quest is important. Level design, environment art, character art, audio, cinematics, animation all need to get asset requests. For a small quest I'd try to avoid making more than one new character request, more than 2-3 locations. Some of the assets will go to outsource, most will be done in house.

While that's taking place (months and months of work) the quest and story teams draft the quest. This can take a while, since a lot of stuff that works on paper doesn't work in game, for many many possible reasons.

Once story is done, the text goes to localization (our writers all write in PL). From there lines are translated into a dozen languages, then sent to the studio to get actors to perform them. Those lines flow back to audio and cinematics, who put them into the game and make sure they sound right.

Meanwhile QA and quest bug-fix and iterate on the quest, basically until we ship. This includes bugs of course, but also general feedback. During this phase entire locations might be moved or redone, characters change, etc, and each team needs to respond to each change. So if QA realizes that we made a mistake and *actually* this character shouldn't say this or this... also he should have a red sash instead of a blue one... also his house is in a swamp and it needs to be in the forest... etc. Each of those changes means that different teams need to jump in. Textual changes are particularly nasty because it means literally hundreds of people, producers, translators, managers, actors, directors, audio technicians, cinematic artists, etc, all have to deal with it.

So I mean, in the super abstract, yes, you are right. Giving Iorveth his own side quest wouldn't have been hard. Actually, we gave him a huge quest and multiple side quests and it was even playable*. But it got cut and it wouldn't have been simple to replace it at that stage of the project.

*Asterix to remind you that as a dev, my definition of playable is not the same as yours. No one who hasn't worked in gamedev really has any idea how janky and ugly games are until very very late in development.

The quest was pretty nilfgaard-centric and involved a renegade general (and demonologist) who was doing crazy wizard poo poo in Velen. Thaler was there, and so was Vincent Meis (but he got cut early). Iorveth was in there, trying to steal something from the demon-summoning general guy so that he could cure a plague that was killing his doods. Some parts of the old story stuck around, Eye for an Eye, Patrol Gone Missing, and... uh whatever the one is with the lady who wants you to find her redheaded kid? There was also a tiny quest in the Nilfgaard camp about some soldiers who stole a pig and tried to make it look like a monster took it. It got cut because it was bad (It was my quest, I'm allowed to say that.)

The whole nilfgaardian war stuff got cut for mostly just not fitting in well with the rest of the game and simply not having enough time to finish it properly.

That's an interesting read!

Still as I've mentioned many times already, they should have focused on realizing this much more intriguing story line than on the repetitive monster hunts for example.

Non-human content is basically non-existent in Witcher 3 so I think even newcomers would have appreciated this story line.

And then there's 2 DLCs which were the perfect chance to make up for this mistake, especially with HoS since it's taking place in Velen, both unused.

And no Enhanced Edition is coming :( so I guess Gwent Solo Campaign will have to do.

My wish for Witcher 4 would be for CDPR to learn from their mistakes, look at Dragon Age Keep and take notes. That's how you do a game series with choices that actually matter in the next installment.

But I fear that now that the trilogy is over, when Witcher 4 arrives, we'll get the "it's a whole new story" spiel so nothing we did in Witcher 3 (let alone 2 or 1) will matter again. I really hope I'm wrong.

Toyen;n7658000 said:
And then there's 2 DLCs which were the perfect chance to make up for this mistake, especially with HoS since it's taking place in Velen, both unused.

I suspect the expansion stories were already planned by the time Iorveth's quests were cut, so it would not have been easy to change them. As the quote in TheImpZA's post says, adding new content to the game takes a long time, that is why there are mostly just cuts late in the development.

My wish for Witcher 4 would be for CDPR to learn from their mistakes, look at Dragon Age Keep and take notes. That's how you do a game series with choices that actually matter in the next installment.

But I fear that now that the trilogy is over, when Witcher 4 arrives, we'll get the "it's a whole new story" spiel so nothing we did in Witcher 3 (let alone 2 or 1) will matter again. I really hope I'm wrong.

I would have rather low expectations regarding the quality of the save import in a hypothetical new game, given how it did not improve in TW3 despite the criticism. Thus, it might be for the better if it was really a completely new story where choices made in Wild Hunt are simply not relevant, although that might not improve the chances of Iorveth appearing in particular. I do recall it being mentioned in another thread that the next game (if any) would not be called "Witcher 4", and it would not be a continuation of the current story line, but it can still end up being anything.

Last edited:
Riven-Twain;n7660540 said:
TheImpZA , could you provide a source for these quotations, please?

Patrick Mills.

Some more:

I dunno. It would take too long to list all the ones I worked on, by the end of W3 I probably worked on two or three dozen quests. When I was brought on to W3 in the last couple years of development, I was originally working on a big quest chain with a seperate team of writers and designers. That quest chain was eventually cut for reasons. The only remainders of that quest chain still around are Eye for an Eye, Blood Ties, and Contract: Patrol Gone Missing. Eye for an Eye was also hugely trimmed down, it used to be a lot bigger.

Other than those three, the quests in W3 I was most involved with (though didn't originally design) are: Funeral Pyres, Ghosts of the Past/Fall of the House of Reardon, Fencing Lessons, The Aparian Phantom, Muire D'Yaeblen, Tower Outta Nowhere, and Fool's Gold.

I was assigned to BaW and not HoS, but I still designed and implemented The Taxman Cometh, and Rose on a Red Field, the latter of which I'm not particularly happy with how it turned out, but it was designed and implemented in just a couple of days, so that's something I guess.

BaW, I designed/implemented: Equine Phantoms, Feet Cold as Ice, also worked a bunch on Till Death Do You Part and A Knight's Tales. My big quest here got cut for production, it took place in Fox Hollow and involved genocide, ya'll would have liked it. Also I had a troll quest that was *great* but the director didn't think it was funny so it got shot into space.

Yeah, he [Iorveth] was in the base game but got cut for reasons. He just never made sense for the expansions or DLC for other reasons. His previous role in the game was in a quest chain that eventually became the basis for Hearts of Stone, but between the initial implementation (for W3) and the full expansion (HoS) it was totally rewritten, to the point that you wouldn't recognize the quest at all. It was a story about the Catriona plague, Mr. Mirror, and some Nilfgaardian researchers. Maybe after we're all done with the game I can drop some more details, the cut stuff with Iorveth was mostly my stuff, so it makes me sad we never got to use him.

I think one of my big disappointments with some of the cut content in W3 is that we lost a lot of the darker shadings on the Nilfgaardians. The cut stuff wasn't the same quality as the rest of the game and there's no way we'd have had the time to finish it, but the Nilfgaardians do some pretty heinous shit in the name of law & order. Yeah, they create order and prosperity, but what is that worth to the people they crush to get there? Wealth and rule of law are pretty pointless when a significant portion of your population have no (or at least very limited) access to either.

Originally Iorveth showed up on Velen searching for a cure to a plague ravaging the south, including Mahakam. Geralt has to team up with Iorveth, and Roche, Ves, and Thaler for very complicated reasons to try and get this cure. The whole plague plotline mostly got cut, though there's some elements of it drifting around in places, like the guy with the corpse wagon who claims he's immune. The quest where you have to get Ves out of the fight with the Nilfgaardians was also part of this plotline, though in a substantially different form (I think the cuts and rewrites really hurt her character, sadly. )

In the version of her quest that I liked best, she's pissed off because the village of Poppystone helped the Partisans escape Velen, but the Nilfs found out about it and are going to execute some people. Ves asks Geralt to help her liberate them behind Roche's back. Ves and Geralt go, save some folks and kill some Nilfgaardians, they have a really nice scene together where they talk about constellations and elven mythology, then go back to the camp and Roche throws a hissyfit because he's secretly got a deal with the Nilfgaardians.

Most of the quests that characterized the Nilfgaardians as maybe not the most enlightened people in the world, got cut. The remainders of that questline are Eye for an Eye (significantly reduced from design), Patrol Gone Missing, and Blood Ties. Coincidentally, all mine, though I don't think they were my best work; and divorced from the main quest most people never even see them.

In Eye for an Eye, the Nilfgaardians were in that village to kill the people who helped the Temerian partisans escape Velen. Which is fair in war, I suppose, though the original design was for them to be in the village capturing slaves. (I must admit, the slavery thing was not *my* design, and I'm glad it got removed.)

in Patrol Gone Missing there is a hidden event that probably 99% of people never see that reveals that the Nilfgaardians were executing prisoners of war.

In Blood Ties, the dwarf "coachman" for the noblewoman is actually a slave, though it's never explicitly mentioned.

One last one:

reasons iorveth is better than roche
#1 I didn't have to fix 10 billion iorveth bugs

I think I make a pretty solid case

I'm still hoping that one day someone gives a more detailed plot overview (would Iorveth have died? That comment in the final game about the uber-roche fixer and iorveth's curse being lifted might make more sense if he was involved in a Catriona outbreak), but this is most likely the best we'll ever get.

Sad that things didn't turn out differently. I think that this storyline had massive potential.

Va fail, Iorveth.

Last edited:
Reading this makes me sooo sad :( :( :(

It all seems extremely interesting compared to what actually remained in the game which in contrast to the original concept seems very blank and "meh".

I mean this is the PERFECT material for Enhanced Edition :(

Also, no info regarding Saskia's involvement? I mean her voice actress is in the game but judging by what we know so far, she probably would not have appeared and we would only learn of her fate via conversations with Iorveth and Philippa.

Last edited:
sv3672;n7665580 said:

So now that we know that Iorveth was involved in the plague questline, how do you think it would have fit in to what was already there in the docs? It's really interesting that this would have also somehow involved Gaunter / Master Mirror.

EDIT: It's mentioned that Martin Krafft Ebbing would join with, or summon a demonic force later in the quest...that could have been Mirror I guess.

Toyen;n7668120 said:
Reading this makes me sooo sad :( :( :(

It all seems extremely interesting compared to what actually remained in the game which in contrast to the original concept seems very blank and "meh".

I mean this is the PERFECT material for Enhanced Edition :(

Also, no info regarding Saskia's involvement? I mean her voice actress is in the game but judging by what we know so far, she probably would not have appeared and we would only learn of her fate via conversations with Iorveth and Philippa.

Sorry Toyen, I don't think that Saskia was ever planned to be in the game. :/ Hearing about the original plan, that plague quest was massive, involving a bunch of characters. You can't have everyone, after all, and it's possible she was busy dealing with this plague hitting Vergen.

Last edited:
I think that regarding his curse, he might have gotten a deal with Gaunter in exchange for clues about the Catriona cure and then it was up to Roche and Geralt to try and save Iorveth before Gaunter comes to take his soul.

Which would have been very interesting to see Iorveth and Roche maybe finally make peace in the end.

And all this probably got replaced with the new story line involving Olgierd and Shani etc.

As much as I loved HoS and the Shani cameo, I still think the original would have been a better choice! : )

Toyen;n7672370 said:
I think that regarding his curse, he might have gotten a deal with Gaunter in exchange for clues about the Catriona cure and then it was up to Roche and Geralt to try and save Iorveth before Gaunter comes to take his soul.

Which would have been very interesting to see Iorveth and Roche maybe finally make peace in the end.

And all this probably got replaced with the new story line involving Olgierd and Shani etc.

As much as I loved HoS and the Shani cameo, I still think the original would have been a better choice! : )

Patrick confirmed that this patch note about Iorveth's curse was just an inside joke, not related at all to the cut content, so sv3672 was right about that one.

Brothers and sisters,don't give up! There is hope that they might someday give us the Iorveth we want. If not in this game,then they'll release a witcher game based around him and the scoia'tel!Remember,no character murder is left unpunished #JUSTICEFORIORVETH.

Also here's some stuff about Iorveth's development

Iorveth's role was quite important to the original script from 2014. He was a main character

He was cut from the game somewhere around Feb 2014, along with a bunch of other content. He would have appeared in at least 6 quests (Pyres of Novigrad. Get Junior, a deleted large Novigrad side-quest titled sq305-Scoia'tael, another cut one called sq309-Investigation, The Battle of Spoiler, and Final Preparations). Geralt would find him in Novigrad. sq309-Investigation would have involved him hiding in a basement of a house in the non-human district, playing his flute (using the same song - Stella Splendens - from his intro in TW2). The in-progress asset list was very particular about that song, that quest would have also featured an Elven Portal, it's not specified what it would be used for.

A part of the cut Scoia'tael side quest would have involved Isengrim and two other Scoia'tael commanders. The only one that actually made it into the game was Vernossiel, the commander in the Woodland Beast quest. I doubt that was her original role, as Woodland Beast isn't mentioned in the 2014 files.

He would helped Geralt find Triss too. They would go to her house together. This makes a lot of sense depending on your choices in TW2, as Triss can save his life in the epilogue. No doubt that he would have felt that he owed her one. He would also have had connections with the criminal underground, knowing both The King of Beggars and Cleaver. They would also have been dialogue scenes with Roche, Iorveth and Geralt at the docks. A bug report from the Alpha states that the writers needed to further explain the relationship dynamic between them, and why they wanted to kill each other. (spotkanie z Iorwethem - musimy jasno okreslic relacje Roche-Iorweth, chca sie zabic? jakie sa miedzy niemi relacja?)

He was also listed in the in progress Prima Guide.

CDPR also said that he would be in the game.
Everyone will appear in a little bit of different situation than in TW2. For example, time's are changing, and there is no Scoia'tael like there was before. Iorveth is also not the man he was before.​
The file names for the dialogue scenes between Letho, Roche and Ves in-game are actually still called 'content8/quests/part_2/quest_files/q403_battle/scenes/q403_10_letho_vs_roche_iorweth.w2scene'. Iorweth is the Polish name for Iorveth.

CDPR never changed the file names because logically, they thought no one would ever see them. Ves was actually only added in late 2014, replacing Iorveth in two KM scenes. It's my speculation that he would have Spoiler

All of this is also why there's a Scoia'tael Gwent deck in-game, when the Scoia'tael themselves don't actually appear. They were meant to at one point, and the Gwent art was completed quite early into development. Unfortunately, the REDs refuse to comment to me on why they were cut so late.

Last edited:
Dalayos;n8402800 said:
All of this is also why there's a Scoia'tael Gwent deck in-game, when the Scoia'tael themselves don't actually appear. They were meant to at one point, and the Gwent art was completed quite early into development. Unfortunately, the REDs refuse to comment to me on why they were cut so late.

They did comment to some extent on why Iorveth was cut from the game, there are quotes in TheImpZA's posts on the last few pages of this thread.

Dalayos;n8402800 said:
Brothers and sisters,don't give up! There is hope that they might someday give us the Iorveth we want.

Don't waste your words. They don't give a crap about that. Just think that they have sold 25 million copies of TW3 and around 85% of them are console players. This means that most of their new fans don't know who was Iorveth and doesn't care about the character. To the best of my knowledge, If the character is not profitable they wouldn't bother on doing another game or DLC about him. Actually, they haven't done anything that wasn't in their original plans (the main game, the two DLC and the patches)

In any case, is good to see that people still care about this topic

And, speaking of other things, here is a good video made with Holgar's mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGpKjq5xWw

Sam2305;n8408640 said:
Don't waste your words. They don't give a crap about that. Just think that they have sold 25 million copies of TW3 and around 85% of them are console players. This means that most of their new fans don't know who was Iorveth and doesn't care about the character. To the best of my knowledge, If the character is not profitable they wouldn't bother on doing another game or DLC about him. Actually, they haven't done anything that wasn't in their original plans (the main game, the two DLC and the patches)

In any case, is good to see that people still care about this topic

And, speaking of other things, here is a good video made with Holgar's mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGpKjq5xWw

Well can't really give up hope that quickly even if you know how iit all ends,rather not see it that way and keep up hope that someday they might either make a witcher game based on Scoi'atel as main characters or they decided to release someday an enhanced edition with all the cut off content with it(Kovir,Iorveth,monsters,etc).

I still wonder why they went through the effort
in creating a useless Nilfgaardian base outside Velen and Novigrad but they never bothered inserting Iorveth or the Scoiatel?

Heck Iorveth was replaced with Vex in 2 cutscenes. I thank you for that mod,it might indeed restore me hope and I hope someday modders will create an even more believable Iorveth mode that will pretty much satisfy my lack of Elves haha! I'm not gonna give up just yet, fans do have a loud voice!

The only way to re-introduce them both to the story in Witcher 4 is only if CDPR does the Dragon Age Keep thing and allows players to import decisions from all 3 previous games to shape Witcher 4's world state since they were absent in W3.

The biggest decisions will be The Witcher 3 ones obviously (who won the war, fate of Ciri etc), they can't ignore those.

Reintroducing Iorveth will be easy considering he survives the events of W2 no matter what.

Reintroducing Saskia will be harder because she can die, unless they resurrect her like Thaler and once again break the lore.

Reintroducing queen Adda will also be hard since they ignored her completely in Witcher 3 plus they did the horrible and nonsensical Djikstra ending.

Reintroducing the Lodge shouldn't be too hard since their ending was very open at the end of W3.

Francesca will be introduced as a new character for the first time and Keira might make a small cameo depending on whether she survived with Lambert.

We'll see but I'm not holding my breath.

Toyen;n8482590 said:
The only way to re-introduce them both to the story in Witcher 4 is only if CDPR does the Dragon Age Keep thing and allows players to import decisions from all 3 previous games to shape Witcher 4's world state since they were absent in W3.

The biggest decisions will be The Witcher 3 ones obviously (who won the war, fate of Ciri etc), they can't ignore those.

Reintroducing Iorveth will be easy considering he survives the events of W2 no matter what.

Reintroducing Saskia will be harder because she can die, unless they resurrect her like Thaler and once again break the lore.

Reintroducing queen Adda will also be hard since they ignored her completely in Witcher 3 plus they did the horrible and nonsensical Djikstra ending.

Reintroducing the Lodge shouldn't be too hard since their ending was very open at the end of W3.

Francesca will be introduced as a new character for the first time and Keira might make a small cameo depending on whether she survived with Lambert.

We'll see but I'm not holding my breath.

Keep dreaming

Top Bottom