IORVETH:MEDITATIONS :1 of the top 3 strongest gold cards in the game

+
IORVETH:MEDITATIONS :1 of the top 3 strongest gold cards in the game

Iorveth:mediation can make 30 to 40 point power swings strictly against your oppenent strictly by makings their two highest cards duel each other at the end of the match. He makes getting ciri Nova for only 25 points feel acceptable and not so overwhelming.

Wait not possible, sorry forget that last post by me. Btw I think meditation is ok. There is always a big risk when you rely on huge bodies like Ciri Nova so it's fine. Just like with Igni, it's situational and doesn't always get much value.

Iorveth: Meditations requires two strong units with specific strength relative to each other. This is not easy to achieve. You would get the same power swing by aligning a good Scorch. Besides, more often that not, Iorveth: Meditations is just an average gold. He is not bad; he can be pretty good in situations, but still, he is not even close to being in the top 3.

I can think of a few instances where it might be better than a geralt igni or a scorch though and for instance player X has a 30 strength unit and a 20 strength unit, player Y has a 25 strength unit, scorch would be dead... Or if an igni could not get 25 points on a row or you would rather kill that succubus instead of their 16 point bronze. But then has its own draw back too of sometimes being a dead card because you have weak creatures or requiring you to play something big and having it stick to gain value from iorveth meditation which not so necessarily easy all the time especially in scoiatael because most of their units are pretty average strength wise, not saying dorfs is not absolutely probably the most op deck right now but it definitely lacks high tempo plays, the bronzes simply come out at 15ish point value while some decks drop a weak unit to have another unit be strong, this is not how scoiatael tend to operate but I see it being valuable with certain cards like xavier for instance.

Meditation seems good on paper but really hard to get a good value. Even Uma's Curse is better 80% of the times.

Iorveth:Meditation is one of those cards that can swing between being incredibly valuable and almost worthless dependent on game situation, ie: when you draw him, opponents board, when you play him etc etc. This card, for me, has swung between being a 6pt play (incl. 2pth card value - so no better than anything else in the game as a whole) and a 40pt play - arguably a very strong play, and only possible because oppo was doing some NG boosting on spotters.

He's not a card you can just play randomly and get those sort of points either; unless you do some careful working out before you play him and decide which of your oppo's units to hit to get best value, he'll return low(er) value than may be possible; unlike Ciri:Nova which is 25pts all day long providing your deck meets that cards requirements.

mfool123;n10131292 said:
Iorveth:mediation can make 30 to 40 point power swings strictly against your oppenent strictly by makings their two highest cards duel each other at the end of the match. He makes getting ciri Nova for only 25 points feel acceptable and not so overwhelming.

This is true but at least meditation has some limitations. Sometimes your opponent doesn't have those big units to duel and meditation only gets about 15 points. Then there is the unfortunate scenerio that you draw meditation as a top deck and it's worth literally two points.

TheNotoriousThree;n10131672 said:
Did your Ciri Nova get dueled just a few minutes ago, in your NR armor deck? I'm asking for a specific reason.

There are a lot of people playing this game. I doubt the OP just happened to have played you and then make this thread haha.

Wait can Iorveth duel a card by it's boosted power or is it limited to base power or strengthened units only?

From the GwentUp statistics, Meditations is an automatic include in the most popular and winningest deck in a clearly unbalanced meta. This is a good sign that it might be OP, even if it is unreliable in some circumstances. It is no wonder why, since it gives an opportunity for a ruinous attack on two powerful cards-- while Artifact Compression, Scorch, Igni can often only target one.

strykerxs77x said:
There are a lot of people playing this game. I doubt the OP just happened to have played you and then make this thread haha.

Dude when I read the post I literally came from making a 45 point swing with Iorveth and I thought the post was made 5 minutes ago so it sounded pretty likely to me. But then I realized the post was about 1 hour and 5 minutes old and realized I was wrong hahaha.

TheNotoriousThree;n10134172 said:
Dude when I read the post I literally came from making a 45 point swing with Iorveth and I thought the post was made 5 minutes ago so it sounded pretty likely to me. But then I realized the post was about 1 hour and 5 minutes old and realized I was wrong hahaha.

Ha. I made a huge Iorveth swing this morning as well. I could have easily guessed that the OP was talking about me.

I can't understand how the "Duel" keyword is actually working. In-game description says (Duel: Units deal their power as damage to one another until one of them is destroyed).

Let's have a look at my situation.
I have a Clan smuggler (with base power: 10) and Hjalmar (with base power: 16) on my side of the board. Then opponent plays Iorveth: Meditation and forces them to duel each other.
The result is: Hjalmar lies dead and Clan smuggler stands on the battlefield with 2 power left on him.

My conclusion after this: 10 - 16 = 2 and 16 - 10 = 0 (or less), instead this was a bug or description of this keyword is wrong or not detailed enough.

P.S. Yup, can't create a topic, cuz i have not enough posts (It must be 10 or more, which i have, but whatever).

Last edited:
Mallexich;n10136162 said:
I can't understand how the "Duel" keyword is actually working. In-game description says (Duel: Units deal their power as damage to one another until one of them is destroyed).

Let's have a look at my situation.
I have a Clan smuggler (with base power: 10) and Hjalmar (with base power: 16) on my side of the board. Then opponent plays Iorveth: Meditation and forces them to duel each other.
The result is: Hjalmar lies dead and Clan smuggler stands on the battlefield with 2 power left on him.

My conclusion after this: 10 - 16 = 2 and 16 - 10 = 0 (or less), instead this was a bug or description of this keyword is wrong or not detailed enough.

P.S. Yup, can't create a topic, cuz i have not enough posts (It must be 10 or more, which i have, but whatever).

Clan Smuggler attacks Hjalmar, makes 10 Damage (Hjalmar's Power: 6). Hjalmar counters with power 6 (Smuggler's power: 4). Smuggler attacks with 4 power (Hjalmar's power:2). Again Hjalmar with 2 power (Smuggler's power: 2). Smuggler damages Hjalmar with 2 power: Hjalmar dead, Smuggler 2 Power.

Mallexich

There was no bug involved. Duel calculations can be a bit tricky; this thread has useful info on that.

Here's how it went down in your case:

1. Smuggler = 10, Hjalmar = 16
2. Smuggler deals 10 damage to Hjalmar: Smuggler = 10, Hjalmar = 6
3. Hjalmar deals 6 damage to Smuggler: Smuggler = 4, Hjalmar = 6
4. Smuggler deals 4 damage to Hjalmar: Smuggler = 4, Hjalmar = 2
5. Hjalmar deals 2 damage to Smuggler: Smuggler = 2, Hjalmar = 2
6. Smuggler deals 2 damage to Hjalmar, killing him: Smuggler = 2, Hjalmar = 0

Edit: Ninjaed once again. :p

The card is ridiculous and one of the reasons that st is so dominant. It is a consistent 20+ card, but getting 25+ value is easy almost every time. It will be nerved, probably dual with one of you're own units with an opponent one and buff it's value a litte. At least that's what I would do i've I was a dev.

Top Bottom