Iron judgement thoughts

+
After having played some games I don't think that Defenders are too problematic although it can feel weird sometimes. In one game I was facing an SK player who played the SK defender in combination with Sukrus. This felt kind of broken but I still won the game. The NR defender seems to be really tanky and could be a little bit over the top when played with lots of engines. On the other hand Prophet Labidioda (not sure how it is spelled corectly) also seemed scary but is not really a thing. Cards like One-eyed-Betsy work pretty well against defenders.

I've played a few times focused around Sukrus/Covenant with Dagur/GS and a load of resurrection options. Works mostly well except after a few wins I seemed to then get paired endlessly against SY and NG.

For the most part opponents always have at least one or more hard removal; Yenn, Korathi, Scorch, bunch of purify units, so I don't see it as a huge problem. In fact, if I'm trying that combo I'm only putting 13 points down over two turns, which is pretty low and needs a decent bunch of combos after to have any impact. So I don't think it's a problem or broken, it's just a style of play that works for some, and not for others. I still think Usurper and/or the "mill your opponents deck" efforts from NG are markedly worse.

Living armor seems to be a very fun card and I have seen some fun combos with it. The question I have is; is it possible that it totally hardconters Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen so even if your enemy plays it several times a turn, it could repeatedly target Living armor which would reset itself in your hand again and again? Anyone had a chance to test this in action?

For the most part opponents always have at least one or more hard removal;
I play Heatwave in every single deck I build these days. Instant kill of anything that prevent graveyard interaction. I mostly use it agains defenders or a big MO unit.

I've played a few times focused around Sukrus/Covenant with Dagur/GS and a load of resurrection options. Works mostly well except after a few wins I seemed to then get paired endlessly against SY and NG.

For the most part opponents always have at least one or more hard removal; Yenn, Korathi, Scorch, bunch of purify units, so I don't see it as a huge problem. In fact, if I'm trying that combo I'm only putting 13 points down over two turns, which is pretty low and needs a decent bunch of combos after to have any impact. So I don't think it's a problem or broken, it's just a style of play that works for some, and not for others. I still think Usurper and/or the "mill your opponents deck" efforts from NG are markedly worse.

Making an entire row almost entirely immune to damage is much worse than an archetype that isn't even viable to play competitively.

Making an entire row almost entirely immune to damage is much worse than an archetype that isn't even viable to play competitively.

I actually agree with you here - it is a broken mechanic, and it's limited/boring to use. I also forfeit against a NR deck that used it. And I haven't seen the mill deck for a while (Rank 8, probably doesn't feature).

It's just feeling more and more broken as a game. Within a week everyone is using the same deck pattern. I played two games back to back against an identical monster deck and lost both, before the NR abomination.

I actually agree with you here - it is a broken mechanic, and it's limited/boring to use. I also forfeit against a NR deck that used it. And I haven't seen the mill deck for a while (Rank 8, probably doesn't feature).

It's just feeling more and more broken as a game. Within a week everyone is using the same deck pattern. I played two games back to back against an identical monster deck and lost both, before the NR abomination.

It's what I have been saying. Defenders are an interesting concept that does open up more possibilities BUT they are a no brainer addition to virtually any deck. Their combo's are so strong that they dominate the game. It's not good that the game revolves around using defenders. They need to be adjusted so that they can still be used in interesting ways without EVERYONE using the same broken combo's.

should each dlc and update change the game entirely! i spent so much scraps on the leader cards when i was new to gwent, i felt bad at the time why didn't the game tell me its better to unlock them via the tree, but i convinced my self it was my mistake... after spending so much on the leaders, you are telling me that there are no leader cards now?!!...i mean come on why cd projekt red is robbing us like this??!!!...i didn't expect this from these guys...i'm going to uninstall gwent for good now...i spent so much time on beta ,on the release they changed the game entirely, and now this!!! i'm sick of spending my time on this game and feel like my progress is gone by the developers...leader cards are gone now because game mechanism changed entirely! and i don't even get my scraps back not to mention the startegies i learned with leaders, arachas is gone now and gameplay changed so dramatically that the deck which took me so long to get crafted, is now a broken montser deck...updates should progress the game! not changing the whole interface and the gameplay!...i tried hearthstone for 2 years and not once the updates changed the game like gwent, you guys changed the meaning of updates! it was such a good experience but all of it is now a memory...

Guest 4336264

Iron Judgement is a good addition to GWENT - defenders are great! Perhaps it needs balancing in places, but on the whole I'm pleased that armour has been reintroduced and defenders have also been added.

while armor is a good mechanic, the execution is kind of whacky because it wasnt in the game from the start. doesnt make any sense for redanian archers to have 2 armor when heavily armored characters/monsters dont have any imo. hopefully they will expand upon the mechanic and integrate it into some older cards that need rework

while armor is a good mechanic, the execution is kind of whacky because it wasnt in the game from the start. doesnt make any sense for redanian archers to have 2 armor when heavily armored characters/monsters dont have any imo.

RE:
Armor doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Knickers, a dog, has one armor, but Gegroire, a knight in full plate armor, doesn't have any armor? Of course, from a design point, it's impossible to retroactively give all units armor.

should each dlc and update change the game entirely! i spent so much scraps on the leader cards when i was new to gwent, i felt bad at the time why didn't the game tell me its better to unlock them via the tree, but i convinced my self it was my mistake... after spending so much on the leaders, you are telling me that there are no leader cards now?!!...i mean come on why cd projekt red is robbing us like this??!!!...i didn't expect this from these guys...i'm going to uninstall gwent for good now...i spent so much time on beta ,on the release they changed the game entirely, and now this!!! i'm sick of spending my time on this game and feel like my progress is gone by the developers...leader cards are gone now because game mechanism changed entirely! and i don't even get my scraps back not to mention the startegies i learned with leaders, arachas is gone now and gameplay changed so dramatically that the deck which took me so long to get crafted, is now a broken montser deck...updates should progress the game! not changing the whole interface and the gameplay!...i tried hearthstone for 2 years and not once the updates changed the game like gwent, you guys changed the meaning of updates! it was such a good experience but all of it is now a memory...

Balancing in this game has been a roller coaster ride from day 1. I like expanding the game but the way they added defenders just changes everything. They need to be more careful with new mechanics.

What hasn't been mentioned here at all concerning Defenders is that they on their own are a bad play. Most of them have 2 less power than their provision costs.
Also, most defenders have hardly any synergy and the synergy they have is limited to 1 archteype. Therefore, the player using a defender looses a turn in which the oponent can already set up an engine, which should count for something too.
And I know that both isn't true for the dwarven defenders, which is why he is that great.

Nonetheless, Defenders seem to be too strong at the moment and I see basically 4 options:
1) Higher provisions: Defenders should be a tech choice, so making them more costly should be a good idea.
2) Lower base power: Forces a rework of seize or seize will be even stronger against Defenders.
3) More purify: Something that needs to be done anyway regardless of defenders. Every faction should have purify options for most archetypes.
4) Make Defender an ability instead of a status: purifying a defender is currently a lot stronger than purifying anything else, this way purify wouldn't get too situational, while lock would be there for bigger effects. Would need a lock rework nonetheless (lock for X turns).
5) Restrict the number of allies: Restrict it to 1 or two on each side. Combined with being an ability, the reach could even be influentiable. (Barricade: Defend 2 adjacent allies instead of 1)

What hasn't been mentioned here at all concerning Defenders is that they on their own are a bad play. Most of them have 2 less power than their provision costs.
Also, most defenders have hardly any synergy and the synergy they have is limited to 1 archteype. Therefore, the player using a defender looses a turn in which the oponent can already set up an engine, which should count for something too.
And I know that both isn't true for the dwarven defenders, which is why he is that great.

Nonetheless, Defenders seem to be too strong at the moment and I see basically 4 options:
1) Higher provisions: Defenders should be a tech choice, so making them more costly should be a good idea.
2) Lower base power: Forces a rework of seize or seize will be even stronger against Defenders.
3) More purify: Something that needs to be done anyway regardless of defenders. Every faction should have purify options for most archetypes.
4) Make Defender an ability instead of a status: purifying a defender is currently a lot stronger than purifying anything else, this way purify wouldn't get too situational, while lock would be there for bigger effects. Would need a lock rework nonetheless (lock for X turns).
5) Restrict the number of allies: Restrict it to 1 or two on each side. Combined with being an ability, the reach could even be influentiable. (Barricade: Defend 2 adjacent allies instead of 1)

1) One more prov is needed, they should all be 10.
2) No, absolutely not; seize is a problematic mechanic anyway and should be reworked so seizing a unit always removes all abilities and locks the unit (even just in Lore terms, you're not going to be able to have unit simply working for your army).
3) More units do need purify as a dual option, for sure.
4) Old Speartip + Defender? No thanks.
5) This is the best approach.

In summary, increase defenders by 1 prov, add "defender" to other units ability as well so it's not one auto-include card, make it "protect one/barricade: protect two" and we're there.

While there are certain decks or situations where defenders can be overwhelming (NR defender + Portal played in the same turn, SK defender + Sukrus), in general I still think that they fine. I played mainly SK after the expansion using the old Arnjolf ability and find dealing with defenders not too problematic. Sometimes you can't and you will lose the game but that is true for a ton of other cards or mechanics. It has been mentioned before but I still like to summerize existing ways to deal with defenders (mainly SK point of view also considering leader ability).

- High damage cards: Champions charge, Mad man Lugos, Hjalmar, Knut on big target
- Medium or small damage dealed over several rounds: too many options, sometimes you have to set it up
- Gremist or other kinds of purification
- Move the defender to the other row: the whalehunter special of SK or neutrals
- several neutral cards that deal more damage against amored targets or remove amor: Betsy, Sappers, ... maybe in combination with damage-dealing cards (second bulletpoint)
- create more tempo: you can set up sticky engines yourself like Priest + Dracoturtle or Priest + Drakkar to just outrun your opponent. It has been mentioned that defenders themselves a rather slow so can create pressure by gaining lots of points
- play defenders yourself
- if defender is played in round 1 make the round as expansive as possible for your opponent. If he has to play high value cards or even use the leader ability it can be ok to lose the round and still win the game
- last option: GG

Top Bottom