Iron Judgment 1st Impressions

+
Nilfgaard seize
They should really just rework seize or remove the tactics tag from joust or do something before they think about touching the rest of the meta. It's so braindead and the matchups are always the same. Two jousts, two assassinations then baiting the damien unless they use their defender first then you have to somehow still overcome 2*12 point swings. Control shouldn't be about seizing because that's both removal and a considerable amount of points. That's not mentioning the double bribery with skallen that's basically giving them a free card up with the right rng or their other removal tools that completely shut down any deck that isn't more broken. Giving them multi target damaging instead of seize would be much more in line with the meta right now too.

Same with SC defender and then they usually add one more through Bribery and/or play they own creating an indestructible row where Damian and other usual suspects can happily chill.
Its the beta double triple spy bs all over again
Post automatically merged:

They should really just rework seize or remove the tactics tag from joust or do something before they think about touching the rest of the meta. It's so braindead and the matchups are always the same. Two jousts, two assassinations then baiting the damien unless they use their defender first then you have to somehow still overcome 2*12 point swings. Control shouldn't be about seizing because that's both removal and a considerable amount of points. That's not mentioning the double bribery with skallen that's basically giving them a free card up with the right rng or their other removal tools that completely shut down any deck that isn't more broken. Giving them multi target damaging instead of seize would be much more in line with the meta right now too.
Its trash. Everything about it is terrible. Leader replay should be changed as well

I didnt play Gwent like 3 months, now i wanted to play and it is terrible. What is that??! Why the f*ck i can unlock leaders in rewards, when they are not in my deck? I had really many decks, one leader one deck - i had system in this, now i have garbage, in every deck from same fraction i have same icon, i search realy long time when i find deck which i wanted to play. This is trash update, give us back our leaders. Now i can unistall this garbage game. I loved it since Witcher 3...now, no thank you.

This is trash update, give us back our leaders.

The leaders are still there, only now you can choose which skin you want to use. If you don't like it, you can just default back to how it was before the expansion by matching the leaders with their original ability.

iAm ErgoProxy49 minutes ago
Is it me or does anyone else think it's inaccurate to say "factions" in a meta were it's just one or two decks at best with one or two leader abilities? A faction is (or should be) the sum of its parts...its leaders, its archetypes. But we dont have that in gwent because of how poorly developed gwent is regarding leader viability and deck flexibility across all the factions.
yea but I think that the fact only 1-2 leaders per faction is played (meaning type of deck and non diverse meta) becaue there are just what, 600 cards overall. From my experience a card game becomes diverse when there are 1500 cards, and the games I played had no faction restrictions... so in Gwent it would be 1500 x 6 = 9000 cards xD. Surely some are not played often, there's this 1 combination that brings the best results and even without netdeck multiple people could create it independently... But to make some cards viable you'd have to change them, so could as well add new ones, leaving older ones for memes (unless they do the same thing, so old ones should be updated to be stronger)

yea but I think that the fact only 1-2 leaders per faction is played (meaning type of deck and non diverse meta) becaue there are just what, 600 cards overall.

Handbuff was destroyed post-homecoming, Filanvardel could be another story without the handbuff nerf. Same as Dagon and Weathers, Eredin and Wild Hunt....

We are getting old things back, time to time.

There is no reason for 9k of cards because they are intentionally making the game more simple, with less mechanics so they can get more time updating these things as expansions.

If it is good or not, it does not matter much, but looking a little, the trend is clear. (And I would not like to have 8400 versions of the wolf pack) :beer:

Sukrus and defenders is a win combo.
I have 4 cards that deal with defenders, move to the other row, purify, damage, and if I don't have one at the last match I can't do anything. It reminds me how much I hated Imlerith combos that automatically won the game.
Maybe the team should remove Renew for good.

There is a difference between unlocking leaders with abilities and unlocking nothing but their skins.

What can I say, good job depreciating my progress in trees. Feels great.

Defender + daemon combo is so dumb and OP. With that combo existing can't play any faction that doesn't have good purify units...

Defender + daemon combo is so dumb and OP. With that combo existing can't play any faction that doesn't have good purify units...

I think you've hit on what's fundamentally wrong with Gwent. It's like when you see your Ruehin or Phoenix hyper expensive card stopped by crappy shackles. It's just wrong. It should take a decent card to stop a decent card, like for like, to create a sense of battle rather than just play card - answer card.

I don't mind Korathi, for example, wiping my defender out - because it's an expensive card wiping an expensive card. But what I loathe is seeing a gameplan/deck disrupted by some low level crud like the diviner. With CDPR bringing in something as OP as a defender, they should also have factored in more solid cards that do locks, purify, move + damage. As it stands only NG has any real lock options.

There should be big cards like the other witchers, One-Eyed Betsty or any of the Iron Bandits big cards that can lock, move or purify cards. This is where CDPR fail miserably on balance time and time again; there should be a mass of cards at a decent level that do more than just higher levels of damage. It's not like "lock" is an archetype, "move" hasn't been an archetype since Beta and purify just needs to available for better cards and do a little bit more than just purify.

It's like when you see your Ruehin or Phoenix hyper expensive card stopped by crappy shackles

I agree with your overall point but those cards don't stay locked in the graveyard, so locking doesn't really do anything to them. I would have used the banish bomb, or seizing as a better example.

I agree with your overall point but those cards don't stay locked in the graveyard, so locking doesn't really do anything to them. I would have used the banish bomb, or seizing as a better example.

Absolutely, my mistake (I haven't used either card since they changed lock). The principal is sound though; it should surely take similarly powerful cards to stop big plays.

Guest 4368268

Apparently every expansion Gwent is just going to be completely broken for at least a month. It was with Detlaff, it was with with Dijkstra, it is with ST.

This meta is rock-paper-scissors like truly never before. You've got Monsters playing a ten+ every other turn (for ridiculously low provisions) ST playing swarm, Nilfgaard playing seize (up to three times) Skellige attempting the Defender Sukrus thing to attempt to checkmate you turn 2..

Every faction is just trying to get their broken combo pieces off and you lose if you don't answer it (immediately) just look at the pincer maneuver Roche thing, it's just plain silly.
It completely discourages creativity and makes players play control out of fear.

A few months ago it was all about who could play the least units now it's about who can play the most in rapid succession. It's just become so extremely clinical and binary.

The only reason I sound so sour is because I genuinely want this game to flourish so badly after being invested in it since it was nothing more than a minigame. I know all too well how incredibly fun it can be. Yet one year after Homecoming and the meta feels as broken as it did when Homecoming came out.

They've failed to stabilize the game for all this time and then they introduce defenders. I just don't know what they're thinking when they make decisions like that. The best months of playing Gwent for me were when CDPR actually left the game alone for half a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This meta is rock-paper-scissors like truly never before. You've got Monsters playing a ten+ every other turn (for ridiculously low provisions) ST playing swarm, Nilfgaard playing seize (up to three times) Skellige attempting the Defender Sukrus thing to attempt to checkmate you turn 2..

There are a few issues with this statement. When every faction has a "broken" combo, then no faction is "OP". This also means that it's not a rock-paper-scissors meta so much as it's a paper-paper-paper meta. This leads to some deck including a bit of rock and/or scissors, but, mostly, it remains paper at it's core. The point remains, you don't have to prevent the opponent's combo, if yours is even stronger. Timing also matters a lot. The best example are Dwarfs. When you can start the second round with quadruple Mercs, then you are ahead in play. However, if you start 2nd, the opponent can put down his own engines, which may spiral out of control.

There are a few issues with this statement. When every faction has a "broken" combo, then no faction is "OP". This also means that it's not a rock-paper-scissors meta so much as it's a paper-paper-paper meta. This leads to some deck including a bit of rock and/or scissors, but, mostly, it remains paper at it's core. The point remains, you don't have to prevent the opponent's combo, if yours is even stronger. Timing also matters a lot. The best example are Dwarfs. When you can start the second round with quadruple Mercs, then you are ahead in play. However, if you start 2nd, the opponent can put down his own engines, which may spiral out of control.

I understand what Nathan is saying, and agree entirely. What he means is referring to endless META decks ,and also how dependent on the order of the deal each player has to be. If you get 10 Golds in R1, you're going to lose the match. You speak of "timing" as if it's something either player can control - it's not.

Players then can't try and be creative, as testing stuff out just leads to matchups that are effectively unfair. I've tried creativity with Iris/Olgeird/Vlodomir and armour boosts/power swaps with Hym and/or Living Armor, Olaf, Draco, etc. or tried to be interesting with NR knights, etc., etc., but in most cases if the opponent isn't using some kind of removal or lock (NG appear 9/10 times this month), then then they're running a boost deck you have no answer for. I lost my last match early today because my opponent played Royal Decree - Gremist, purified my defender, then played Morkvarg on my boosted Priest. Understandable combo, not unsurprising as I had many of the same cards - but they got them in the order needed, I didn't. Games are won or lost on deal and card order, more or less nothing else.

There still is room enough for some creativity and figuring new combos, but that is not if you like to rank as high as possible. I think one of the problems is the actually nerving of cards considered OP. Why are they OP? Probably because the damage system is abusive. Zoltan:Scoundrel is a good example, he now is completely forked. This was a KEYCARD in a discard deck which due too loses power. Besides his' duda's now doomed and not able to reshuffle them and redraw them. Don't start talking about Coral, I didn't even use it in it's OP period. There were some nice indepth adding cards completely ruined by nerves due too damage abusing. And probably as stated above in a post this is a result of ppl being afraid and starting to play damage in order to gain control.

Apparently every expansion Gwent is just going to be completely broken for at least a month. It was with Detlaff, it was with with Dijkstra, it is with ST.

Every faction is just trying to get their broken combo pieces off and you lose if you don't answer it (immediately) just look at the pincer maneuver Roche thing, it's just plain silly.
It completely discourages creativity and makes players play control out of fear.

A few months ago it was all about who could play the least units now it's about who can play the most in rapid succession. It's just become so extremely clinical and binary.

The only reason I sound so sour is because I genuinely want this game to flourish so badly after being invested in it since it was nothing more than a minigame. I know all too well how incredibly fun it can be. Yet one year after Homecoming and the meta feels as broken as it did when Homecoming came out.

They've failed to stabilize the game for all this time and then they introduce defenders. I just don't know what they're thinking when they make decisions like that. The best months of playing Gwent for me were when CDPR actually left the game alone for half a year.
I have a solution: Move to 24 tier level league, where you can win even using a meme deck! It's lots of fun here xD

Ironically the NR defender is an insta-lose against Nilfgaard seize (while the defender should offer protection against that sort of deck) because they take it and then play Damien+Letho Kingslayer next to it.

The same rule as for NR defender apply to NR carryover like vandergrift - playing these cards aginst ng with enslave ability is a suicide. But regardless of enslaving defender, they can Just puryfy him and sieze the engine placed next to him so any combo with defender except Roche or Portal wont work properly with enslave ng. Frankly i Think that "enslave" ability is the Best leader ability in current meta - but i don't Think that is OP.

wow this meta is SO much fun, I built a meme knight deck and my matchups where: enslave, enslave, tac retreat, enslave, deathwish, deathwish, deathwish.
come on..... :facepalm:
though I think today it's just the most played, I had the same when playing something else so perhaps it's not because matchup is rigged :D

Top Bottom