Is Act I the Cyberpunk 2077 game we wanted?

+
I was thinking about it and I can't help but think that the period leading up to the Heist is pretty much the Cyberpunk 2077 game I wanted. Jackie, you, Viktor, T-Bug, Evelyn, Judy, and all the other members of the cast are characters that I feel are more interesting than the rest of the cast (sorry, Panam) but the stakes feel a bit more appropriate. You're trying to do the BIG SCORE and everything is about leading up to that.

You also are doing "small jobs" up until that point that make sense with the Side Gigs.

If they'd stretched this part out and made the Heist the end of the "first" Cyberpunk game, I think I might have liked it more.

What do you think?
So I would wait even longer to get rid of Johnny? Or spend more time with soon deceased characters? It’s like playing with bunch of other Vs.

Thanks but no thanks.

A cyberpunk gwent style game would have really helped this game alot. It would have created nostalgia for every player coming from witcher 3 and appeal to newer players. To play a cards game against a rogue A.I. would have been amazing. I would pay money to play cyberpunk gwent.

Jackie and T-bug were my least favorite characters. I don't think I would have wanted to spend "6months" with those 2.

T-bug was annoying, but she was written that way throughout, so I can appreciate her. I won't be going on any girls nights out with her, but as a player I can appreciate the character direction where she was going.

Jackie on the other hand, I'm just not sure. Jackie is ironically strongest in the Corpo lifepath, medium in the Noman intro, and so poorly written in the street kid intro it's not even funny. Seriously, I pulled a gun on you, tried to rob you, got you nicked and beat up by the cops, but hey lets go eat something... to which your character for some reason suddenly trusts this wack job and goes. At least with the Nomad intro he admits he was going to stiff you, but has changed his mind and wants to pay you back.

But after that Jackie is just the conductor on the Act 1 choo choo train. Except you can see echos in his lines of what he was supposed to be. It's even worse that during his funeral story arc you talk about him, and he seems kind of three dimensional cool, with a depth of character that "V" supposedly sees, but he spends so little screen time in the game, you never actually see it as a Player, which is a shame.

Because right now he's two dimensional, lifeless, but with echos of grandeur that CDPR cut out for... Johnny.

Don't get me wrong I like Keanu and I think he did a great job, but I think CDPR's direction and their changing the story around Johnny ruined it for Jackie.

The problem is that unlike Skyrim, it forces you to play the main story to progress.

In Skyrim, you can play any story without playing the main story.

Don't worry through, soon enough someone will create an Alternate Start mod and we'll be able to skip right into act 2 without triggering the main quest and we won't need to do the main quest at all.

T-bug was annoying, but she was written that way throughout, so I can appreciate her. I won't be going on any girls nights out with her, but as a player I can appreciate the character direction where she was going.

Jackie on the other hand, I'm just not sure. Jackie is ironically strongest in the Corpo lifepath, medium in the Noman intro, and so poorly written in the street kid intro it's not even funny. Seriously, I pulled a gun on you, tried to rob you, got you nicked and beat up by the cops, but hey lets go eat something... to which your character for some reason suddenly trusts this wack job and goes. At least with the Nomad intro he admits he was going to stiff you, but has changed his mind and wants to pay you back.

But after that Jackie is just the conductor on the Act 1 choo choo train. Except you can see echos in his lines of what he was supposed to be. It's even worse that during his funeral story arc you talk about him, and he seems kind of three dimensional cool, with a depth of character that "V" supposedly sees, but he spends so little screen time in the game, you never actually see it as a Player, which is a shame.

Because right now he's two dimensional, lifeless, but with echos of grandeur that CDPR cut out for... Johnny.

Don't get me wrong I like Keanu and I think he did a great job, but I think CDPR's direction and their changing the story around Johnny ruined it for Jackie.
Exactly.

I think that this game initially was about V and Jacki and the question was who will end up with the biochip in head.
Then Keanu came on board and CDPR went with well make this Johnny game.
And now we have this little monster - called the story.

No to be miss understood- I don’t have anything against Keanu, his performance is terrific, but idea about making game about him and scraping Jacki in the process was a very bad one.
From funeral scene we can see that there was far more to the character than any 2 missions of Act 1 could show.

so going through extended Act 1 only to get better know Jacki with idea that he will die nevertheless what V will do, would be a pain.

SPOILERS
This is the same reason why for me any mid game dlc is DOA since V just like Jacki is going to die, so why bother?

That's what bothers me, too. Why even talk about it if that leads literally nowhere? Not even a slight change of how dialogues are later or how V acts. Huge opportunity wasted, imo.
Definitely, it feels like the endings for me there.

Like i view the endings from the perspective of "ok what influence is V on these events when present versus not present", what do i learn and what knowledge do i gain, hence why i pick nomad, not for happy smiley face (though it plays some part) but just simply by whats gained and known through playing the others. Meta gaming at the best/worst i suppose

That single dialogue exchange with Evelyn makes me think, as is, im seeing only half of CP2077 story and just from one choiced perspective, which is all good but im always left with "right i want to go back now and see how it all pans out if i accept Evelyn's offer" even if ultimately im railroaded into the same story.

End of the day as it stands i just wish Evelyn had said "Bye V, get in touch if you have any questions"

Yea, I enjoyed Act 1 the most out of the game. I kind of wish there was a "secret ending" where you simply wait for the lockdown to be lifted and Dex finds someone else to do the Heist.

So I would wait even longer to get rid of Johnny? Or spend more time with soon deceased characters? It’s like playing with bunch of other Vs.

Thanks but no thanks.

I'm confused at what sort of gamer only cares about "living" characters? I take it they can't enjoy historical dramas?

SPOILERS
This is the same reason why for me any mid game dlc is DOA since V just like Jacki is going to die, so why bother?

I also feel like pointing out for the 300th time that V lives in the Nomad and Legends ending. They're also not dead in Engram endings.

While i was disappointed that T-bug was got rid of so soon. But No i don't think Act 1 montagewould have been particularly satisfying as the main game. The larger focus of Act 2 is certainly necessary, i found the idea of Johhny very interesting but feel they overdid the urgency of the main plot, which causes issues with all the multitude of side quests.

It’s just a shame that, for the most part, Act I was pretty much on rails and there’s little opportunity organically speaking to do side stuff.

A way to fix this, I’d say, is to pull the Morrowind method.

For those of you unaware of the “Morrowind method” for main quests:

Up until a certain point in the story, MSQ is basically a few missions (or for 2077, let’s say jobs) you’re tasked with doing, and after each mission, you’re told by the quest giver to “go brush up on your cover story” which essentially means do more stuff with the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Morag Tong, etc. This would give you an opportunity to take a break from the MSQ and get wrapped up in all the little side things you can do, and see all the little things you can see along the way.

Pretty much once you end up being told you’re the Nerevarine and the Grandmaster of the Blades is recalled to the Imperial City, you’re more or less going to be wanting to push the MSQ and get to the end of the story. You CAN stop and do all the other things you want, of course, but leading up to that point you’re ENCOURAGED to stop and do side stuff.

2077 has this nonstop sense of urgency and gives you pretty much no incentive or organic opportunity to stop the MSQ and do other things.

No it's more one of my worst nightmares to be honest. A Fiasko in PR and Gamewise. No more Preorder from ProjektRed. They don't deserve to get a trust bonus any more.

Wait....people don't want more T-Bug?

Well yeah... but that game is totally different. Not linear, we have factions and systems in place that actually have meaning in that world.. And no... we will never see that game.

I was generally happy with the pacing of the story. While I did find Act 1 and the lifepath prologue a little thin, I'll likely play through the game a couple times a year, like watching a favourite movie.

That said, I would *love* a few more intro missions before V meets Dex. I know the rescue job the team completes for Wakako is supposed to be the thing that establishes their reputation, but it just seems like a really big jump from knocking off Scavs to taking on Arasaka.

Off topic, but I got tired of the assaults and cyberpsycho missions pretty quickly (though I enjoyed them more when I actually took time to read the shards and text message details). Maybe it's just because I was going for the achievements, but the game started to feel more like work than play.

No it's more one of my worst nightmares to be honest. A Fiasko in PR and Gamewise. No more Preorder from ProjektRed. They don't deserve to get a trust bonus any more.

May I ask what the problem you had was?

Well yeah... but that game is totally different. Not linear, we have factions and systems in place that actually have meaning in that world.. And no... we will never see that game.

Faction reputations are terrible in a stealth game. They should never suspect I was responsible. In my game, I murdered hundreds of Tyger Claws and they never knew.

"Yes, James, I am the architect of all your pain."

Wait....people don't want more T-Bug?

I defo do.

She had quite a lot of attention pre-release as well. Had like two different designs rendered in HD, appeared in two cinematic trailers (the first one from 2018 and the one in 2019) and had an official cosplay guide too, I think.

And then she gets offed after 2 missions... wtf.

However, I do think she was originally supposed to play a bigger role.

Notice her appearance in the cinematic trailer where she betrays V. Usually when they contract the animating studios (Blur or whatever) to make these cinematics, they give them some kind of a rough storyboard that exists at the time

So I think early T-Bug was definitely supposed to stick around some more, before they rewrote the whole thing and also brutally downsized her screentime too.

Last edited:
I'm hoping one of the free DLC will be a mission to rescue her from Arasaka and she's still alive somehow.

Either that or an AI made with Soulkiller.

That would be good foreshadowing that has actual relevance to the ending.

Top Bottom