Is Act I the Cyberpunk 2077 game we wanted?

+
many of the characters in act 1 save for vic and some others. we hardly knew them. it needs more fleshing out if you ask me. the game is fun but incomplete.

I just finished the game, and I have to say this is one of the best games I ever played. I was amazed with witcher but I am absolutely stunned with cyberpunk. You guys did a great job regardless to what anyone say about this game. Yes, glitches and similar are now normal thing but overall experience is beyond great. I tend to play a game to see if I will get hooked on the game in the first hour. If that does not happen, then that game is not worth playing. You got me on the intro when V was driving in a car on a rainy night. That was it. First small detail, the story, the surroundings...it is like you taste a cake with 100 different flavors and each one of them is hitting you in the head with max force. Thank you guys for making my gaming experience ritcher. I do expect that this game will have sequels....maybe 2087 or 2177, don't know but I really do hope this game will have the same glory as witcher. Well deserved indeed. :)

I was thinking about it and I can't help but think that the period leading up to the Heist is pretty much the Cyberpunk 2077 game I wanted. Jackie, you, Viktor, T-Bug, Evelyn, Judy, and all the other members of the cast are characters that I feel are more interesting than the rest of the cast (sorry, Panam) but the stakes feel a bit more appropriate. You're trying to do the BIG SCORE and everything is about leading up to that.

You also are doing "small jobs" up until that point that make sense with the Side Gigs.

If they'd stretched this part out and made the Heist the end of the "first" Cyberpunk game, I think I might have liked it more.

What do you think?

Definitely. The game kind of repulses me because of it. All I've ended up liking is a glimmer of an idea, rather than the reality. I've tried my best to accept it for what it is, and try to get my money's worth, but I don't know how to finish.

The impression i got, is that act1 was the game they wanted to make, after that was just work.

In act2 i had trouble understanding Silverhand, i mean, Keanu is a cool guy, when act2 start and he was there, i was thinking he was a cool guy that would help, but the game try to force the idea he was bad, even after i finish, i still like him, because is Keanu, but the game insist he is not a good person.

I was thinking about it and I can't help but think that the period leading up to the Heist is pretty much the Cyberpunk 2077 game I wanted. Jackie, you, Viktor, T-Bug, Evelyn, Judy, and all the other members of the cast are characters that I feel are more interesting than the rest of the cast (sorry, Panam) but the stakes feel a bit more appropriate. You're trying to do the BIG SCORE and everything is about leading up to that.

You also are doing "small jobs" up until that point that make sense with the Side Gigs.

If they'd stretched this part out and made the Heist the end of the "first" Cyberpunk game, I think I might have liked it more.

What do you think?
(sorry, I did not read posts in thread, just replying to OP) ... Imo Act1 is really bad cut/design choice for this game. I know that character background choice affects replies possibilities during later play, but it is really not enough to build strong ties with your character (based on yours background choice). It would be much better if we were able personally play unique story missions for each chosen role and use it for learn more about "his/her part" of Night City environment, and also learn much more about some of local NPCs (i.e Nomad V knows fixer Dakota, street kid knows well Sebastian and so on). One from consequences of short Act1 is mostly very low knowledge about game background (overall) which players learns later during his first play-through, and this also for part where player should be most experienced on start due his chosen role, i.e Nomad should know much about life outside of the city (inlcuding main NPCs living there), but knows almost nothing about city life etc.

Last edited:
I think Act I is representative of the game the devs and writers wanted. You can tell it was made by a team who were really into the concept, who probably didn’t know their development time was gonna be cut short, and were enjoying what they were making. It’s so much more polished and thought-through than the rest of the game. After that; you’ve got the game that CDPR management wanted.

I agree, I wanted to roam free in a cyberpunk world, doing whatever gigs I want, not be haunted by silvertongue, and a restrictive main story.

I hope someone makes a mod that unlocks the rest of the city before the heist mission.

I don't think so, no. Or well, depends on the person, I suppose. I certainly didn't want an entire story like Act 1. I find it to be the most boring part of the game because it just feels like GTA with cyberware. Act 1 doesn't ask any of the hard-hitting philosophical questions the cyberpunk genre is all about, it's literally just another trite heist story about a pair of low-life criminals and how they want to live out a "rags to riches"-story.

It's not until V wakes up to see Silverhand standing over them that the game starts doing something interesting with its story. Granted, how they do this is hit and miss at times, but at least it evokes important philosophical questions about the nature of self, identity and the soul in a society enslaved to soulless technology and consumerism, you know, like a cyberpunk story is supposed to do.

The impression i got, is that act1 was the game they wanted to make, after that was just work.

In act2 i had trouble understanding Silverhand, i mean, Keanu is a cool guy, when act2 start and he was there, i was thinking he was a cool guy that would help, but the game try to force the idea he was bad, even after i finish, i still like him, because is Keanu, but the game insist he is not a good person.
Silverhand isn't a good guy, he's a very broken man, full of hate, who has used and abused nearly every damn person in his life in his pursuit of fighting Arasaka-shaped windmills.

Silverhand isn't a good guy, he's a very broken man, full of hate, who has used and abused nearly every damn person in his life in his pursuit of fighting Arasaka-shaped windmills.

Indeed! But i just notice that far on the game, i start in the apartment and Keanu shows, and i thought "Cool! A friend! Let´s go burn the city Samurai!" but no... he try to kill me, wtf???
I think the act 1 should be longer, and put more information about Silverhand. In my second play, all was different, i see him not like Keanu good guy, but Silverhand the crazy dude that wants to kill me, and because of that i got 70 with him and now i can play the secret ending, that i could not in my first play.

I disagree with the original post.
Act 1 was the beginning of what many hoped this game would be. GTA set in a Cyberpunk dystopian city.

What we actually got was what CDPR does. Johnny is the pivotal character and the main protagonist of the story.
But we are playing his story in second person through the eyes of V. Much like Ciri saving their realm, Geralt in the end wasn't the savior, he was a side character. The only real choice we make as V is to either willingly concede to our destiny or fight it every step of the way. This gets into the philosophical question. Did we create the the concept of choice to comfort us from the truth? That we never had a choice to begin with. Of course we want to tell Johnny to buzz off, but we can't because it's Johnny's story lol, not V's. And that's the brilliance of this story. We think this is a first person narrative action rpg. In reality, it's a second person action RPG game where you play the role of Johnny Silverhand through the eyes of V.

cdpr: "cyberpunk is NOT gta in the future"
gamer: buys the game and finds out its not gta in the future
surprise.png

It seems obvious the whole first part of the game that should have been at least 10-20 hours of game play was cut and replaced by a 30 second cut scene, which has negatively impacted the character development and as a result made the whole game a lot worse.
One can only hope they will make this content and bring it into the game as part of future DLC.

Act I is the closest to what I remember from tabletop sessions: you've got a team. There is Jackie (solo), T-Bug (runner), Evelyn (client), Dexter (fixer), Victor (ripper). It was like playing CP2020 scenario with friends.

I liked act II becasue I'm familiar with CP lore so I knew who Johny is and the whole story from Fourth Corporate War but it was mostly one man's show (and I mean V).
Post automatically merged:

It seems obvious the whole first part of the game that should have been at least 10-20 hours of game play was cut and replaced by a 30 second cut scene, which has negatively impacted the character development and as a result made the whole game a lot worse.
One can only hope they will make this content and bring it into the game as part of future DLC.
Before game release I had a vision that as a nomad I enter NC, not knowing anything about the city. It started promising but when I crossed city border with Jackie 6 months montage hited the screen and I was NC citizen already.

Last edited:

What do you think?
The story in the game is well told with the various characters and really enjoyed the start of the game, especially the maelstrom mission, because this is what I expected from the PR material, different ways of dealing with things. So that was very good.

The issue is that whatever you choose doesn't really carry weight in the rest of the game, which is where things in regards to the choice matters department starts to fall apart.

But a lot of this I think is due to the lack of reputation or connection between different elements in the game, like how the gangs react to you, choosing side, pissing of characters etc. Which will end up playing a role in how the game plays out. So taking the Maelstrom quest and extending it deeper into the whole game experience and make other quests work like this and it would very cool.

Basically what they have to do, is get rid of the linearity in the story.

Basically what they have to do, is get rid of the linearity in the story.
I totally agree with you. Every quest in the game should be as complex as Pick Up. But unfortunately СDPR can't change the structure of the story. Because every story quest in the second act is linear in structure. I wrote more about that here:

All hope is that CDPR will admit their mistake and fix it in future story DLC. But it makes me sad that so many people talk about open world problems and so few people bring up the problem of quest design in Cyberpunk.

I can see Act 1 as the whole story of the game with a ending that let you free roam around and do side quests and encounter random enemy's chasing you in cars and what not.

I can just say that the game has so much potential but the Dev's plainly screwed it up!

That is because he is not...but I am not the person to talk about it, as I am not nearly enough into the lore:)
If you want to know more there is a youtube that talks about Silverhand....

act 1 is the best part of the game
Post automatically merged:

Act II was boring as hell, V's constant collapses in every 5 minutes, Silverhand's constant interruptions with his static monotone voice, screen glitching effects in every 3 minutes were absolutely unbearable. I wanted to uninstall game so bad but my curiosity about how the game will end overcame those frustrations.
Of course I didn't know that ending was worst then all of it.
also 50 hours of Panam and Aldelcado quests
Panam is the Liara of CP. Pushed down the players throats because the writers favors that character.

As much as I loved the main story arc where you have really have to fight for your life and its more about survival than money or taking revenge on some bad corporation, I agree that the shift between act 1 and 2 takes place too fast. Kind like in a movie where in 20 minutes you get an idea of what it is gonna be about. V`s aspirations wanish really during really our second mission and there is some problem with taking hundred of side jobs where all you know is that you`re dying.

And I`m probably one of a dozen people in the world who didnt see any trailer before playing so the end of part one for me was like "wow, this is unexpected and great".

But I woudnt like "becoming a legend" arc as a main one as for me its quite flat and feels like cliche. CDP made a great story, but its just not balanced right.

Maybe one of a reasons why we dont have more jobs with Jackie is that everytime you do mission with some NPC, it just looks terrible as long as you dont go full on for destruction. They teleport, they walk in front of enemies, they are immortal and almost every time I just wished that I could tell them to wait in front and guard main doors leaving me the rest.

What they could do is to really spend more time introducing us to fixers - most of them you will see once on only talk on a phone with. Yes you can approach them and ask 3 questions but theres no real relationship really. Sometimes it just feels rushed and stupid when for example I bring stolen car to Dakota`s garage - she is just next door but prefers to call me than to walk and have some sort of conversation face to face.

Top Bottom