Is CDP Trying To Trademark "Cyberpunk"?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is CDP Trying To Trademark "Cyberpunk"?

I can supply links if you wish, but there are a couple of threads on different subreddits that have a screencapture of a form which indicates CDP is trying to trademark the term "Cyberpunk".

Can anyone at CDP shed some light on the subject? It seems highly irregular to me that they'd do such a thing, and it genuinely detracts from their reputation as a down-to-earth, customer-friendly, respectable, and fair developer (at least for me it does).

Last edited:
Just because they are "down-to-earth, customer-friendly, respectable, and fair developer", doesn't mean they won't protect their IP. I don't think there is anything wrong with trademarking cyberpunk in a game related trademark. Just as Apple can trademark the word apple in electronic devices. If any other developers trying to create a cyberpunk 2078, cdp would need something to fight them in court. That is my take on it.

gaktem;n8281240 said:
Just because they are "down-to-earth, customer-friendly, respectable, and fair developer", doesn't mean they won't protect their IP. I don't think there is anything wrong with trademarking cyberpunk in a game related trademark. Just as Apple can trademark the word apple in electronic devices. If any other developers trying to create a cyberpunk 2078, cdp would need something to fight them in court. That is my take on it.
Cyberpunk isn't their IP. If we are talking strictly about video games then I suppose you are correct, but isn't it a little unfair that they are trying to trademark a word that describes an entire genre?

Hart95;n8281280 said:
Cyberpunk isn't their IP. If we are talking strictly about video games then I suppose you are correct, but isn't it a little unfair that they are trying to trademark a word that describes an entire genre?

They do not trademark entire genre, just the title. It just means that you won't be able to make game named Cyberpunk: Chuck Devlin Story, but Chuck Devlin Story: Cyberpunk is fine.

Shavod;n8281450 said:
They do not trademark entire genre, just the title. It just means that you won't be able to make game named Cyberpunk: Chuck Devlin Story, but Chuck Devlin Story: Cyberpunk is fine.
Hm, I suppose that makes sense, if only to avoid confusion in the future.

No, if they wanted to avoid confusion they would trademark "cyberpunk 2077" trademarking cyberpunk is scummy anti-consumer anti-competitive practices just as bad as the guy who trademarked "EDGE" actually no this is worse because games with cyberpunk been around for years. If they are in fact doing this, this makes them no better than any of the worst video game dev sleaze balls out there trying to use scummy tactics to win and not quality. IF they, in fact, are pushing this skeezy trademark, this game goes from a must buy for me to I wouldn't touch it if they paid me, cause if they got to trademark cyberpunk to keep competition down they have no confidence in its quality.

psrdirector;n8282050 said:
No, if they wanted to avoid confusion they would trademark "cyberpunk 2077" trademarking cyberpunk is scummy anti-consumer anti-competitive practices just as bad as the guy who trademarked "EDGE" actually no this is worse because games with cyberpunk been around for years. If they are in fact doing this, this makes them no better than any of the worst video game dev sleaze balls out there trying to use scummy tactics to win and not quality. IF they, in fact, are pushing this skeezy trademark, this game goes from a must buy for me to I wouldn't touch it if they paid me, cause if they got to trademark cyberpunk to keep competition down they have no confidence in its quality.

When is the last time you played a video game titled Cyberpunk? Trademark is not the same thing as Copyright. They are not preventing anyone from creating cyberpunk games, they are preventing others for using Cyberpunk as the main title of rpg game because trademarks are used for brand recognition. Based on your other post, you really think trademark as copyright...

But if they trademark Cyberpunk 2077, it would be way too specific, so nothing stop someone unrelated to CDPR from making game named Cyberpunk 2078 or something like that. Of course, the fact that the source material already had very generic name, doesn't help the matter, when trademarking your property.

Links, please, that illustrate CDPRs attempts, if any.

Until then, just speculation. I heard they were trying to trademark "ducks" to control all fowl in videogames, those -bastards-.

Shavod;n8282450 said:
But if they trademark Cyberpunk 2077, it would be way too specific, so nothing stop someone unrelated to CDPR from making game named Cyberpunk 2078 or something like that. Of course, the fact that the source material already had very generic name, doesn't help the matter, when trademarking your property.

Actually you can sue for similar trademarks that are confusing. This smells no different to me then the Edge trade mark if it is true.

I disagree.

if they want to make more than one game in Cyberpunk universe (from what we know after yesterday CDPR has long plans for CP) they need to trademark Cyberpunk name and protect their and Mike Pondsmith brand, if not any person could make some cash-grab games called Cyberpunk 2078, Cyberpunk 2080 , Cyberpunk: New York , Cyberpunk 2177 etc and hurt CDPR & R. Talsorian Games reputation and brand.

There is good explanation from reddit:

This is extremely misleading and sensationalistic thread.

First of all, in the US, CD Projekt is taking over previously registered trademark from R. Talsorian Games - creators of Cyberpunk 2020.

https://trademarks.justia.com/856/81...-85681741.html

In Europe a trademark to Cyberpunk is already owned by Sony Music, but it doesn't cover video games and online video games. CD Projekt is simply covering themselves from potential litigation by registering it for use in video games.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#det...arks/010409258

People who don't understand the trademark law and haven't done minimum research on the subject of Cyberpunk trademark shouldn't post inflammatory threads like this.

Last edited:
Trademark: a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.

A good example of this would be the word Coke

Coke (tm): A soft drink better known as Coca-Cola
Coke: a fuel with few impurities and a high carbon content, usually made from coal and used in production of Carbon Steel
Coke: A drug derived from Cocaine

A trademark is just terminology used to refer to a term when it is used by a company to refer to their product specifically.

Coke is a registered trademark of the Coca-Cola company. What that basically means is that another company can't use the word to market an item under the same name.

So if we are talking about "Cyberpunk" as a trademark, we are referring to a specific work of fiction, in this case a video game (possibly series). The term would not be illegal to use in marketing anything else anymore than it would be illegal for me to sell "Coke coal" at a farm supply store. So long as I was using it appropriately. I can not produce a game and TITLE it Cyberpunk, for example, but I can make a game and when describing it on the back of the box say " a Cyberpunk adventure" (Since the common use of Cyberpunk has been around for ages).

For the record though, The current owner of Cyberpunk as a trademark is indeed CDPR

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners...t-s-a-3281943/

You can view it yourself on the link, or just read below
Trademark Owner History

Party Name
CD PROJEKT S.A.
Party Type
31 - 1st New Owner Entered After Registration
Legal Entity Type
11 - Company

Prior to them it was.

Party Name
R. Talsorian Games, Inc.
Party Type
30 - Original Registrant
Legal Entity Type
03 - Corporation

Last edited:
Sneky;n8283150 said:
I disagree.

if they want to make more than one game in Cyberpunk universe (from what we know after yesterday CDPR has long plans for CP) they need to trademark Cyberpunk name and protect their and Mike Pondsmith brand, if not any person could make some cash-grab games called Cyberpunk 2078, Cyberpunk 2080 , Cyberpunk: New York , Cyberpunk 2177 etc and hurt CDPR & R. Talsorian Games reputation and brand. [h=3][/h] [h=3][/h]

if they are worried about brand confusion they should of picked a less generic name for the game. I will hold them in the same light as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games and the trademark of edge. If this turns out to be true I am done supporting this company and its now clear poor practices. I would like you to explain how this is different then Edge? Again This is all alleged because I have not seen any evidence they have done it just rumor and such.

psrdirector;n8283140 said:
I was just making fun of the alleged trademark attempt that I find as silly as the "EDGE" trademark of old.

It isn't alleged though. They own the trademark for Cyberpunk.

Doesn't mean they own the word, just means they can legally use it to market things and that things associated with their specific body of work has to be licensed.

psrdirector;n8283180 said:
if they are worried about brand confusion they should of picked a less generic name for the game. I will hold them in the same light as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games and the trademark of edge. If this turns out to be true I am done supporting this company and its now clear poor practices. I would like you to explain how this is different then Edge? Again This is all alleged because I have not seen any evidence they have done it just rumor and such.

No, they couldn't picked less generic name for the game. Read about R. Talsorian Games , Cyberpunk 2020 , Cyberpunk 2013 etc ...

psrdirector;n8283180 said:

This isn't an issue though.

There is an old space defense plan in the US that is titled under the name STAR WARS.

Now Star Wars is a Trademark of Disney. I don't see them going after the government, or vice versa

That trademark does NOT mean noone else can use the word, it means they can't use it in marketing goods without proper licensure or permission from Disney.

I can write a book called Star Wars and while there might be some legal squabbles, it isn't illegal. What WOULD be illegal is for me to say, produce a toy figurine that has blonde hair, a desert style tunic, a blue laser sword and call it a "Star Wars Toy"

I could call it Space Dude

I could call it Lake Spacewalker

But I cannot call it a Star Wars Toy, nor Luke Skywalker (as that is also trademarked)

All this does is keep people from producing goods or games and name them something in an attempt to deceive customers. It's being trademarked as a game title. Not copyrighted and kept from being used elsewhere anywhere.

Cyberpunk as a genre isn't going to suffer from the name being trademarked. It has been for decades.

I mean words like Degree and Dove are trademarked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom