Is CDPR making money with Cyberpunk 2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@xlawx you know why i like the game so much?

because of this
i also like the combat and love the story...
but the detail of some stuff is just incredible
i i do feal immersed into this world... if you dont.. its ok..
but dont say its not immersive at all
even a book can be immersive
It's understandable to like the immersion. It's excellent. The map looks gorgeous (it would be better if they would fix the misplaced assets though.

Hell. The story telling is top notch but sadly, the story has weak points - especially the epilogue.
Post automatically merged:

Sony took the game from their store because their store refund policy is toxic to begin with. Nothing to do with quality of game. It will get back to PS store, at some point and probably sell quite well there. Also, game has been the most played single player game in Steam for weeks.
Off course their refund policy is toxic but CDPR knew that. How can't they knew that Sony has the second shittiest refund policy on console?

They nonetheless said to the buyers that they should contact their retailers. Yeah. They totally did not try to shove the problem over to Sony and Microsoft.

Assume the answer is yes. What can you really deduce from that aside from a simple mathematical outcome. Or to put it another way: does human trafficking make money? Assume the answer is yes there too.

Is it making great quality games?

Off course their refund policy is toxic but CDPR knew that. How can't they knew that Sony has the second shittiest refund policy on console?

They nonetheless said to the buyers that they should contact their retailers. Yeah. They totally did not try to shove the problem over to Sony and Microsoft.
CDPR offered refunds, they can't control how other corporations react to that. Now you say they were damned if they did it, but I think they would have been damned even worse if they weren't.

I think it's very likely that they come back from this and CP 2077 will sell quite well on PS Store once they get it back in there.

because of this
i also like the combat and love the story...
but the detail of some stuff is just incredible
i i do feal immersed into this world... if you dont.. its ok..
but dont say its not immersive at all
even a book can be immersive
The map and designs are world-class and very well detailed, no doubt.
Immersion is a matter of tastes. Some means for more interactive with the world, as if it's a life simulator.

The gun play is as good as Far Cry, but the story is way better. It is always the strongest point in CDPR games.
Farcy is known for good main story, too. No black-white-thinking. (Although, sidequests arent so good like CP77)

CDPR offered refunds, they can't control how other corporations react to that. Now you say they were damned if they did it, but I think they would have been damned even worse if they weren't.

This, I've yet to run into a company that wouldn't point me to the seller first about a refund. It's standard. I don't get why CDPR is somehow wrong for doing it.

They then corrected things and offered refund straight from their own pockets. No matter your stance on the game, that's a great move.

I think it's very likely that they come back from this and CP 2077 will sell quite well on PS Store once they get it back in there.

No doubt, I know plenty of people with PS4/PS5 just waiting on the game to be fixed.

Immersion is a matter of tastes. Some means for more interactive with the world, as if it's a life simulator.

Farcy is known for good main story, too. No black-white-thinking. (Although, sidequests arent so good like CP77)
Some people on this forum want a granda simulator, asking for features like being able to sit on benches, feed the birds and harass the civilians with silly questions :D

They are far from a priority in my humble opinion, but I would not mind if they add some of those.

agreed
but as far as i know...
and feal free to correct me
CDPR never did say it would be someome sort of life simulator
they sayed it would be most immersive experience ever
and i belive it is... because of the city feals real
if you would tell me, theres a citiy that looks like this, i would belive it...

and Morphologis shows you in his videos, that there are a lots of places in the world that look like Night City

it all comes down to expetations...
what is an RPG
what is a Lootshooter
what is immersion
what are life choices

there are lots of different opinions

even on how to interpret some of the endings..
like do you have a soul?
the buddist have the concept of rebirth
dose it even matter?

there is so much to explore and to speculate on...
Who is Mr. Blue eyes
Why have specific NPCs the same (let me call it Illuminati) ring

250h in the game.. and i still find new stuff sometimes

Last edited:
they had projected 19million i believe in the first month, they are about 6million short of that. they made their money back but i dont think its the success they wanted which is quite obvious the game is not done.

It's still just an action-adventure with an open world.

When the ly changed their description from open world rpg to action adventure, the CMs on discord told us it was because of the American market. Turns out, it was because it turned into an action rpg.

What am I "inaccurate" about exactly?

- Over 13 million units sold (after refunds)

You're referring to the 13 mil sales that CDPR told us about. That's estimated sales (CDPR's own words, available through the investors call transcript if you're interested) and it does not include refund requests sent through e-mail directly to them. I'm pretty sure they're not even done going through those.

Bottom line - the actual sales figures are still unknown to us.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure that at this point they've sold far more than 13 mil but without knowing the refund rate, it's impossible to say.

- over 320million in profit

Based on assuming the 13 mil sales figure is true, which is flawed as per the above. Furthermore, it does not account for the sellers' cut.

100+ million in actual profit that can be re-injected in the company is probably a fact by now but it remains impossible to tell without solid numbers

- 80+% average review scores

Not sure where you're getting that average. 78% on Steam, 3.8/5 (76%) on GoG. I can only assume you're speaking of the average professional review score on meta critic. That's hardly relevant when there such a discrepancy with the users score on meta critic sitting at 7.2

- 3 weeks on steam #1 sales list, still in top 5.

That's just nitpicking but it wasn't 3 weeks straight. Had a few dips here and there.

Like I said, inaccurate but not a bad painting by any measure.

Last edited:
...asking for features like being able to sit on benches...
I'm kinda shocked that people would consider sitting down in a AAA character driven game in 2020 to be a feature outside of the default set. Most especially so considering 90% of the game is set in an open world city filled with places to sit down and not being able to do so detracts from immersion.

The various levels of standards are so varying its pretty wild.

I'm kinda shocked that people would consider sitting down in a AAA character driven game in 2020 to be a feature outside of the default set.

I never cared much about the Sims features. When I played GTA IV back in the day, I noticed that mostly I do enjoy is driving. I went to bowling like twice.

I'm curious about what you said about this being feature like "default set". Any examples?

I'm pretty sure they've made a lot of money on Cyberpunk here and now. The marketing cost a bundle, and there's going to be a lot of revenue splits for games not sold on GOG. But I suspect they've still more than broken even. I do wonder how they're planning to make money on their next title, though.

They won't get any benefit of doubt, and it's not like there's going to be a horde of PC nerd single players and role-playing geeks that flock towards it. Not after how that particular segment got treated this time around. They can try to compete against the Ass Creeds and GTAs and Borderlands and whatnot, but how is that going to work out?

As far as sales are concerned, the game is still very high in the Steam sales chart, but I suspect the Steam measurement is over a fairly long time interval. The game is damn near rock bottom on GOG when you sort by best selling.

And if we look at the Steam stats then it's already dropped down to 11 and is barely ahead of Football Manager 21. If CDPR don't do anything to reignite the hype then I suspect the game ends up somewhere between Euro Truck 2 and Farming Simulator 19 at some point in late February. And it might well get overtaken by Witcher 3 at some point. Wouldn't that be hilarious?

I'm kinda shocked that people would consider sitting down in a AAA character driven game in 2020 to be a feature outside of the default set. Most especially so considering 90% of the game is set in an open world city filled with places to sit down and not being able to do so detracts from immersion.

The various levels of standards are so varying its pretty wild.
Why would I want to sit on a bench, unless it is to have a conversation with a quest NPC. It's just boring in my opinion, I would never do it even if it was implemented. But if this is important to you and many others, I hope they add the option.
Post automatically merged:

And if we look at the Steam stats then it's already dropped down to 11 and is barely ahead of Football Manager 21. If CDPR don't do anything to reignite the hype then I suspect the game ends up somewhere between Euro Truck 2 and Farming Simulator 19 at some point in late February. And it might well get overtaken by Witcher 3 at some point. Wouldn't that be hilarious?
It's second on Steam, just after RUST. I checked 2 seconds ago.

I have been hearing this a lot. And it makes me chuckle. Some facts for you;

- Over 13 million units sold (after refunds)
- over 320million in profit
- 80+% rating on steam
- 80+% average review scores
- 3 weeks on steam #1 sales list, still in top 5.

I wish ALL my projects ended up as a "disaster" by your standards, I'd be quite pleased with myself.
I hardly think review scores and copies sold are any indicator as to the state of the game. Love it all you want, but the game is still in a terrible state given its a "next gen" title. Only thing next gen here are the graphics.

He's talking about Steam stats, not sales.

As in number of players currently on the game and it's daily peak.
It's 9th then. But the only games before it are online games, of course this are played for hundreds of hours over many years. Single player games, not so much.

It's second on Steam, just after RUST. I checked 2 seconds ago.
Not on my end, it isn't. It's now 12, overtaken by FM21. It is still second on the bestselling list, though.

1610912196919.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom