IS CDPR ruining its good name w/ Gwent?

+
Those of you who frequently visit the forums already know my opinion.

The answer is as short as Gwent's life cycle if it keeps heading down this direction.

Yes.

Midwinter update showed how ugly CDPR can get. Now I wouldn't be surprised if GOG introduced Always online DRM in order to get more customers.

Been reading forums and watching streams for the last few days, and maaan, things doesn't look good. And it's not usual bitching about balance, even though it's a big part of it. The devs should definitely do something major fast. Otherwise I'm afraid the game will be dead before the final release. And it sucks cause I really like the game...or rather I liked the older Gwent. And now I want to love it again.

:sad:

It's just not fun to play the game right now. Zero skill and thinking involved. Well... Unless you play non meta underperforming deck trying to squeeze every point out of your hand and still end up losing. So rewarding. I guess that's what you get when devs catering for wide young audience with access to parents credit card.

​​​​​

Last edited:
Man this game used to be all sorts of things, now it's just a way to raise my blood pressure. I used to slide right up to the high teens in seconds flat and then trudge from there with a smile and a grimace. Now I barely know what the fuck is what and I can't even FIND the fun let alone the higher ranks. What the hell even is this game anymore?

I am really curious if any of you can propose actual card changes (and we could discuss those). So far this thread is nothing but lamenting and doomsaying.
You aren't helping the game at all in stating how bad this patch is over and over and over and over, you do exactly the opposite.

Last edited:
MystereSC;n10258512 said:
I am really curious if any of you can propose actual card changes (and we could discuss those). So far this thread is nothing but lamenting and doomsaying.
You aren't helping the game at all in stating how bad this patch is over and over and over and over, you do exactly the opposite.

There is a neat subsection of these forums, called "Suggestions". Many, ahem, *suggestions* are to be found there. Many are in the General discussion, as well. Take a look, I swear it's true!

That doesnt justify lamenting over the current state over and over and over and over. There is simply no point in it and all it does is creating a doomsday tone which has never been helpful for any game. You are all just wanting to confirm each other how bad the state currently is by reading those salty threads and watching streamers blame the state. I am not saying you are not right, but its destructive. CDPR already knows they have f*d up.

And btw CDPR is not ruining their name even if Gwent turns out to be a fail. In the first place they are getting glorified way more than they should for their previous work, the hyperbolic community raised the bar so high for them, they are truly under pressure as they are presented by the community as the last Quality AAA Studio in the industry. CDPR isnt known for exemplary CCG's but a well done RPG series and being very generous in their pricing and value, while keeping in touch with the community.

Last edited:
Okay, fair enough, MystereSC. However, don't underestimate the achievements of The Witcher games. In the era of horridly executed sequels to great RPGs (e.g. Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2 etc..), CDPR has created a masterpiece for the ages. TW3 actually blew away its prequels, IMO.

Quit whinning.

You should just be happy they made Gwent into a standalone game.

:sleepy:

I can easily imagine a parrellell universe were Witcher 3 exists but standalone Gwent dosen't.

I think that until we are in a Beta (even if open) they have the right to try different things. The problem is that they should also care about what players think of these changes and, if necessary, revert back to previous values

XHawk93X;n10261252 said:
I think that until we are in a Beta (even if open) they have the right to try different things. The problem is that they should also care about what players think of these changes and, if necessary, revert back to previous values

First of all. Don't even start with Open Beta excuse. It might be called open beta on paper but in reality it is not. And even then... As I see it. Closed beta is for trying new things and making major changes based on feedback. And Open beta is for polishing. Fixing bugs and fine tune balance. Not completely change the game with every major patch. Introducing new bug n top of the old ones. Completely change balance and so on. Hell... After Midwinter patch I had to re-learn the game cause a lot of old cards were partially or completely changed. It's closed beta again. Major changes, tons of bugs. One of the biggest problems in my opinion is that devs don't have the vision of their game. They don't know what their game is supposed to be. ( judging by 180° patches ) They just improvising basically. And that the problem.

In the light of recent events, a live stream wouldn't go far amiss. Talk to players. Let us know that you admit you ducked up big time and assure us you'll fix it. Answer live questions during the stream as well. That would be good. But sitting in silence or posting rare messages that everything is fine (representatives on reddit) is not a good damage control.
​​​​​​
Scratch the last part. Just noticed an Open letter. +5 Faith restored.
​​​

Last edited:
I think everyone is just mad that a general statement to make as a come back for the possible flaws of gwent is that it is all fine because its more generous. I could name 2 games off the top of my head in the like 8 or so most played TC games where achieving a full collection of cards is much easier in which are duelyst and the magic gathering online game. Magic being the most generous in that you can pretty well earn a pack a day and each pack garentees no duplicate cards, so you can of obtained all the cards through about 150 or so packs of a set. That and in duelyst has a higher legendary drop rate in each box than anything I've seen, seems to be about 1/4 boxes drop a legendary and every card is premium by default. So you gotta think where am I getting my information from, am I just comparing this game to hearthstone, which is actually one of the greediest games I've seen by far.

The game itself is still a front runner for me, I think the dwarf deck got a bit out of control, but you don't have to play it and I like to think it'll get destroyed balance next patch. The decrease in rewards and the lack of further creativity especially surrounding create is worrying to me, but you're not forced to play the game, I've even toggled and switched in between games in the process of their confusion, but next patch might be fine, we might see axemen and nilfgaard back on top (with some close by contenders in monster) but that was a fun enough patch for me so lets bring on the nerf hammer. It would be fine to see dwarves receive play again but never in a pro/advanced player bracket.

Played 1000+ hours and I don't know how many thousand matches. I used to enjoy the game even when I'm losing but now I'm just feeling salty even when I'm winning, Same happened with many other game experiences before and the best solution was to quit.. "Game" should be fun, not a source of anger.

I respect CDPR yet they don't act like themselves at all. Devs used to care about feedback but lately they are failing at that. Of course they say it otherwise but actions speak louder.
  • There are tons of bugs that can be fixed with tiny hotfixes yet they only care about creating new cards so they can sell more kegs
  • There is an enormous imbalance in favor of dwarves yet no proposed solution
  • Only 3-4 viable archetypes left, the rest are just way too weak to have 50%+ WR(bear, armor nr, alchemy nilfgaard and of course dorf)
  • 20+ swing with ONE BRONZE card is common while the most golds are totally useless

I'm starting to feel regret for the small amount I spent on game (~35$ for a F2P beta game is more than enough in my book). I can't even fathom the disappointment of people who spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars.

I will be patiently playing for 2 more major updates. If there are no considerable improvements, then I quit. I would play roulette If I liked games depending on luck. One game goes, another comes.

Last edited:
There are 3 pieces of data that the players don't have that developers need to make decisions based on. 1. Total number of players (by region matters but not as much as overall.) 2. Monthly cost (staff, servers, tournaments, etc...) vs monthly income. 3. Outside investor interest (especially as it relates to advertising, merchandising, and data mining.)

Gwent is a business, founded on a simple principle, we will entertain you and you will make it worthwhile for us. Along the way developers seem to have lost sight of their part of the bargain. Getting rewards is entertaining. Playing with new decks is entertaining. Winning hard fought matches is entertaining. Losing hard fought matches can be entertaining. Playing against the same deck 20 times a day for next to no reward is not entertaining. Being excluded from top 1000 because I don't have 10 hours a day (or more) to play Gwent is not entertaining. Losing penalties which force me to play netdecks are not entertaining.

I stopped playing gwent until they fix season rewards because they stopped making it worth my time. I am on these boards giving ideas and feedback hoping they will return to the things that made gwent great. On a personal note I don't care about agile cards or reduced weather effects (though the elimination of gold immunities still requires a massive amount of work to fix,) so much as I care about getting rid of create, fixing the coin flip, and getting luck the **** out of gwent.

​​​​​​I have said it in at least five other places and I will say it here. This game can make money on more things then just kegs. If they need short term cash then use go fund me and Kickstarter. If they need long term cash, reach out to Facebook and apple and offer interactive opportunities. Synergy is great for this type of business (especially with a huge player base.) Developers need to grow the player base by making gwent a challenging, diverse, rewarding (very generous) and above all fun experience. I will buy thronebreaker if they fix gwent. Many of the people who complain on this and other boards think the same thing. All they need to do is go back to big rewards and focus on ways to make gwent more strategic (and balanced.) Also more factions with greater faction diversity would be nice (I wonder if anyone could find a fan base willing to give 5 dollars a person for the chance to see beloved book and game characters be given a unique faction identity and another 5 to have a story campaign go with them.)

Last edited:
They ruined the game when they added +100 cards in the winter update. Most of them are just replacements for old cards. Aside of that, the lore is being pulled from underneath the games feet by adding cards that never even existed in the Witcher world. Plus, the focus on microtransactions is horribly frustrating. You would think they would learn from EA's mistake, but nope. They are putting the good name of CDPR at risk, easily.

Top Bottom