Is Count Caldwell Broken?

+
I have lost a number of games now, where he moves to the enemy row, when they opponent plays a unit of equal value. i.e. They have same value as my top unit, and Caldwell switches sides.

"Every allied turn, on turn end, move to the row with the highest unit on the battlefield, excluding self"

In the last game, I played Yghern (for 13 body 5 armour, provision cost 10)
My opponent played Axel Three-Eyes (for 13 body provision cost 7)
Caldwell switches sides I lose the game.

If this is how it is meant to operate, the card description needs changing. Right now running Caldwell has become more of an RNG liability than an effective card.

Last edited:
I have lost a number of games now, where he moves to the enemy row, when they opponent plays a unit of equal value. i.e. They have same value as my top unit, and Caldwell switches sides.

"Every allied turn, on turn end, move to the row with the highest unit on the battlefield, excluding self"

If this is how it is meant to operate, the card description needs changing. Right now running Caldwell has become more of an RNG liability than an effective card.

I think this is the first I’ve ever heard of that card actually being played. (Have you played Thronebreaker?)

(But yeah it does seem to be bugged, if that’s how it’s behaving.)

Oh and since I run them both in the same deck, what is with Keltullis destroying self when there is an equal body unit on your side.

Man, Nilfgard poison ball sure is tempting right about now. Every none meta deck I create seems to be hampered by some unknown rule that comes with experience not through reading the card descriptions...
Post automatically merged:

Have you played Thronebreaker?
Yup I have platinum trophy on Thronebreaker

Not broken. With ties he yo-yos. If you were the last play he will leave you and join the other side. If your opponent was last it works the other way.

Not broken. With ties he yo-yos. If you were the last play he will leave you and join the other side. If your opponent was last it works the other way.
I'm not sure he yo-yo's as such, as I've been in games where he hasn't come back to me when I've played another equal value unit after the opponent passed.

So it seems you are saying that if they get him on a tie (they shouldn't), and then pass before you can counter, you can't get him back...

Either way, this needs to be written into the card description.

As this "yo-yo" effect if true needs to be predictable for relatively new players, not as it stands "I learnt this from playing 1000+ games of Gwent"

Oh and since I run them both in the same deck, what is with Keltullis destroying self when there is an equal body unit on your side.

Man, Nilfgard poison ball sure is tempting right about now. Every none meta deck I create seems to be hampered by some unknown rule that comes with experience not through reading the card descriptions...

Yup I have platinum trophy on Thronebreaker

(y) I always figured that card was a jokey nod to Thronebreaker, much like the Roach card has Roach on a roof.

I think this is the first I’ve ever heard of that card actually being played. (Have you played Thronebreaker?)

(But yeah it does seem to be bugged, if that’s how it’s behaving.)
Sorry, just saw you added to your post.

Maybe I shouldn't be giving the game away as such, but he interacts quite nicely with Keltullis. First card Caldwell, often an opponent with a false sense of security will then play a high value unit.
I then play Keltullis and they lose the high value unit.

I can then either drop a small body onto the board if they play special cards or artifacts, or I can use my own to keep my unit numbers low.

But as I also found out today, to my chargrin it is a coin flip on whether Keltullis destroys self if the lowest value unit on your side is equal to Keltullis.

Basically these two unpredictable parts of the "card-design" are meaning I probably won't be playing what was a fun deck that could actually be played on ranked

Sigh...

(y) I always figured that card was a jokey nod to Thronebreaker, much like the Roach card has Roach on a roof.
Roach was actually the first premium I made. I love that art. Haha

Last edited:
You can Consume it if you are playing Monsters, with a Consume card, or instantly with Overwhelming Hunger.
I don't know about that bug, never played this card that way to see how it works.

Guest 4375874

LOL that's hilarious.....sorry that happened. I agree that makes no sense though, I've seen other cards operate the same way but then in other situations it doesn't. Like MO Beast that boosts by 2pts if it's not the highest card on the field. In cases of a tie using your example he's 13pts and the opponent has a 13pt card then his ability doesn't activate yet in your case the Count switches sides even though the cards have the same power. It's quite gimmicky or the devs haven't made up their mind on what a tie actually means.

Guest 4404014

Caldwell is sometimes used in mill decks where you summon him to the top of your deck, switch top cards on both decks (what's the card?) and summon him from opponent's deck with Tigor.

He's also used in hyperthin decks where you just keep him in the deck and use cards that boost units by power of a random unit in your deck.

But those are meme decks. All it takes to ruin it is matchup with MO most of which pack Yghern.

Sorry, just saw you added to your post.

Maybe I shouldn't be giving the game away as such, but he interacts quite nicely with Keltullis. First card Caldwell, often an opponent with a false sense of security will then play a high value unit.
I then play Keltullis and they lose the high value unit.

Nope, I've done it so it must be pretty common for others to have discovered that tactic too. I also had the problem with his deciding to stay away, so ditched him.

Actually maybe they have adjusted Caldwell more than I realised, when I was playing on console it apparently didn't have the latest patches.

If you had to go first you could play Caldwell as first card knowing that if the opponent played a unit he would transfer to the opponent's side on their turn end.

You could then play Keltellus, and he would remove the card they just played. But I noticed today he doesn't move when they play a low value unit, which breaks the interaction.

Oh well, I suppose at least that matches the card description. Now for them to correct the issue with ties.

Caldwell functions properly, he 50/50 if you have the same power units.
Well I know that from experience, but it's not written in the card description, so I would argue he doesn't operate properly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom