is cp2077 favoring firearm builds over katanas?

+
so i started to make my 2nd character which is supposed to be the cyberninja because i was told it'll be legitimate combat build before the game's release, and after 1st hours of developing the character, i still feel like the game handicaps it in comparison to my 1st (test) character which uses firearms build.
is cp2077 favoring firearm builds over katana builds, or is my cyberninja character going to catch up with the other builds after developing it further?
(i was playing on very hard with both characters)

Last edited:
Im actually relying on Katanas currently. The black unicorn katana I got by connecting my account to gog.com is quite good. Even though the combat is unsophisticated (I generally just dash in and spam quick attack), at least it works.

DISCLAIMER: I have body 10 and reflexes 8. That may have somethign to do with it.

I'm currently playing a pure firearm char, or at least that was the plan.
I discovered that blade weapons are extremly powerfull when used with some cyberware. I now have jump-legs (whatever they are called) and I can just jump over my enemies and chop them to bloody pieces with that random machete I've picked up somewhere. I don't even have skillpoints in blades.
Of course that only works if I have enough air space, but I've now fought twice against melee NPCs that just zoom around like the flash.
So yeah, once you have the right cyberware, you can be a cyberninja.

I am running with a reflex heavy build and I find the Black Unicorn is outperforming nearly any gun I find. At least in 90% of encounters.

The only limitations are when I'm fighting enemy snipers who are hanging out in places where I can't get to them and when there are enemy shotgunners about. Then I pull out my rifle for counter-sniping or my revolver for playing peak-a-boo with the shotgunners.

I am running with a reflex heavy build and I find the Black Unicorn is outperforming nearly any gun I find. At least in 90% of encounters.
Im sure there will be good guns somewhere, or a good gun-build

I wonder if I'll be able to find the gun that Silverhand uses in the Arasaka tower flashback scene. That thing was one-shotting goons like nobody's business.

The Black Katana carried through a couple fights I had, whilst the guns were ok but not great. I feel better at melee anyway, just wait till I get the Mantis blades....wooooooo

Of course you can't go wrong with a shotgun.

Guest 4456526

Seems to me melee weapons afford you superior damage, but you have to get in range. There are options for you to effectively get into range. Looks like pretty good balance to me. Also seems well focused on playstyle rather than forcing one upon you.

does anyone have a link for like a list of character builds as my brain is fried from all of this in game i am looking for like a gunslinger build ?

you get the source book from gog, I have it here, but ye, I mean literally , th effort in this game was for the rpg'ers , I get the mindless new gen who don't have brains because they just play aaa and can't think but TRY to read ALL the mods in the perks list and figure out WHAT YOU WANT TO DO and make yoru gun slinger from that. THey still have to fix perfomance before I'd say it's so easy to choose whatevr combat one wants :/

The melee in this game is super lackluster. It's such a disappointment.
I mean, it's easy as hell. Grab a weapon and run in swinging, you win.

There's no real feeling of impact with melee. Sword or hammer, swinging through enemies has no weight to it. They don't stagger properly or anything, they usually just drop because they die in a hit or two.

Also the hit location is pathetic. Slash your sword through their head and their legs pop off, or a random arm... slash a guy across the ankles and his head goes flying. They seem to have just made dismemberment completely random.

Melee is simply pull out weapon, run at enemies smashing attack, win.
Saves on ammo I guess.

I have them... I quickly switched after every other kill became that same stock animation where you impale the enemy.

I'm currently playing a pure firearm char, or at least that was the plan.
I discovered that blade weapons are extremly powerfull when used with some cyberware. I now have jump-legs (whatever they are called) and I can just jump over my enemies and chop them to bloody pieces with that random machete I've picked up somewhere. I don't even have skillpoints in blades.
Of course that only works if I have enough air space, but I've now fought twice against melee NPCs that just zoom around like the flash.
So yeah, once you have the right cyberware, you can be a cyberninja.
Was trying the same before patch 1.04

The melee in this game is super lackluster. It's such a disappointment.
I mean, it's easy as hell. Grab a weapon and run in swinging, you win.

There's no real feeling of impact with melee. Sword or hammer, swinging through enemies has no weight to it. They don't stagger properly or anything, they usually just drop because they die in a hit or two.

Also the hit location is pathetic. Slash your sword through their head and their legs pop off, or a random arm... slash a guy across the ankles and his head goes flying. They seem to have just made dismemberment completely random.

Melee is simply pull out weapon, run at enemies smashing attack, win.
Saves on ammo I guess.

Not only is the melee combat in general super lackluster, but the stealth kills are also terrible. First off, character models are clipping into each other like crazy... it's hard to tell what is happening when your arm clips through the enemy's neck. Second off, there's no stealth kills for any other weapons besides your hands? What the heck? So if I have a sick katana like the Black Unicorn, you're telling me I can't stealth kill anyone with this thing?

*Sitting here with my pure katana build + sandevistan legendary mod confused by this thread*
Post automatically merged:

Not only is the melee combat in general super lackluster, but the stealth kills are also terrible. First off, character models are clipping into each other like crazy... it's hard to tell what is happening when your arm clips through the enemy's neck. Second off, there's no stealth kills for any other weapons besides your hands? What the heck? So if I have a sick katana like the Black Unicorn, you're telling me I can't stealth kill anyone with this thing?

When you get a killing blow with a melee weapon it executes every now and then.
Look at the level 20 stealth skill ninjitsu.

I believe the reviewers made a point that katanas are way overpowered vs any other weapons, so this will need to be addressed.

I'm currently rerolling for the 3rd time. My current build being an 18 dex katana / mantis blade build. I don't recommend it at all. Katanas are good, and Mantis blades ups that being even better. However - only against single target. 90%+ of the encounters in this game, is facing bigger groups of armed enemies. Due to them zerging/flanking and how fast you die on Hard+, expect spamming heals and running for cover ALL THE TIME, and having to use ranged weapons despite not wanting to.

Want my advice for strong, solid and fun builds?

Body (main), Tech (secondary), reflex OR cool (tertiary) Shotgun build. Shotguns are extremely good both offensively and defensively due to knockdowns. Grenades also cause knockdown and synergizes strongly with engineering. Lots of HP+Armor+Movespeed. Tech shotgun benefits from both Engineering and the weapon skill itself. Kind of a double dipping. So grab a tech shotgun and go slaughtering.

Pistol + Anything. The pistol perks are the strongest in the game IMO. Seriously. If you go balls deep into pistols you can do all content fairly easy. Pistol perks are so strong in fact, that I'd say that even on Very Hard, your secondary investment don't matter.

Int (netrunner) + anything. Sucks early game. Extremely strong mid-lategame. If you have a lot of patience, and you know what you are doing, and willing to suck early game. This build really scales up later on. Not gonna go into details, but just gonna say that - the power scaling of a fully invested hacking character is immense. It just has a low curve early in the game.

I focused on firearms until I got Sir John Phallustiff...it's actually quite effective, especially when combined with good quick hacks.

I'm currently rerolling for the 3rd time. My current build being an 18 dex katana / mantis blade build. I don't recommend it at all. Katanas are good, and Mantis blades ups that being even better. However - only against single target. 90%+ of the encounters in this game, is facing bigger groups of armed enemies. Due to them zerging/flanking and how fast you die on Hard+, expect spamming heals and running for cover ALL THE TIME, and having to use ranged weapons despite not wanting to.

Want my advice for strong, solid and fun builds?

Body (main), Tech (secondary), reflex OR cool (tertiary) Shotgun build. Shotguns are extremely good both offensively and defensively due to knockdowns. Grenades also cause knockdown and synergizes strongly with engineering. Lots of HP+Armor+Movespeed. Tech shotgun benefits from both Engineering and the weapon skill itself. Kind of a double dipping. So grab a tech shotgun and go slaughtering.

Pistol + Anything. The pistol perks are the strongest in the game IMO. Seriously. If you go balls deep into pistols you can do all content fairly easy. Pistol perks are so strong in fact, that I'd say that even on Very Hard, your secondary investment don't matter.

Int (netrunner) + anything. Sucks early game. Extremely strong mid-lategame. If you have a lot of patience, and you know what you are doing, and willing to suck early game. This build really scales up later on. Not gonna go into details, but just gonna say that - the power scaling of a fully invested hacking character is immense. It just has a low curve early in the game.

I am playing on very hard, Combined with the time slow mods and awareness of the arena, i have been able to navigate most encounters with the scalple. I am 18 dex/8 tec/7stealth/3body/3int, Ive mainly been farming gigs to practice my melee and ive been fine so far at level 18/39 street cred.

I made sure to buy legendary cyberware for my skin and attackspeed mod, along with evasion and attck speed slow on being spotted. I also use flashbang grenades to buy time when things are on cooldown.

Last edited:
Top Bottom