is cp2077 favoring firearm builds over katanas?

+
I believe the reviewers made a point that katanas are way overpowered vs any other weapons, so this will need to be addressed.
hmm i played both firearm build character and katana build character (very hard difficulty) for the equal amounts of time now and i definitely wouldn't say that katanas are overpowered. katanas have good dps, but you have to get close. it can be quite hard when you are surrounded by large amounts of enemies in open areas on very hard difficulty, and such situations happens a lot.

It doesn't feel like firearms are favored over katanas. I've been doing a mix of stealth and run and slash. I do think melee could be more responsive - I've often gotten confused because the only feedback is my health bar going down.

I've been digging the katana for combat but agree that there is not much complexity to it. Was definitely hoping for something more involved with blade gameplay, especially with stealth. Also I just do not understand how throwing a knife results in it being lost forever, unable to be picked up. I love CDPR but it seems like there wasn't a lot of thought put in to the many ways to interact with the world. Honestly think I'm going to put down the game for a year and wait for a better 1st time playthrough.

Here are all the katana attacks:
basic slash
Basic Slash combo.
power attack.
Block + slash defensive attack that will leap in a direction.
Sheath slash combo - start with katana selected but holstered, you can run, sprint, or just attack and it will start the attack from the draw and keep going.

Sliding attack.
dodge attack
counter attack.

This can be furher exploited by doing a bleed build with reflex tree, or poison build with stealth tree. or stealth build with ninjitsu from stealth tree.

Katana needs to stack armor. armor includes both damage reduction and evasion.

Commit to melee, which means your cyberware needs to reflect your melee life, attack speed and melee damage for skeleton, berserker or sandevistan cyberdecks, time slows for dodging, being spotted. flashbang grenades, defensive mods like microgenerator for your circulatory system. weakness detection for your eyes.

Learn to dodge, learn to cover hop, learn to hit and run. Aim for the head, keep bounceback upat all times and start fights with a flashbang if youre not doing a stealth initiation. and keep the flashbangs stocked.

Here are some perks i consider to be traps:
Unbroken spirit - you will not be trying to counter attack outside of 1 on 1s and even when you do, you dont need its heal, just use a medkit.
Offensive is defence - The only defense is offense. Dodge, kill, find a damn crate, reposition. Youre playing like a sniper at a faster pace. Hit and run tactics.
Shifting sanders - Not necessary at all. certainly not for 3 points. You should not be engaged in combat long enough to be stamina starved.

Here are perks from other trees you should shoot for:

TECH TREE
Cant touch this - Grenades have status effects, thermal, chemical and shock all result in soft ccs when they proc, causing the target to stop moving intermittently, which means they arent attacking, this creates a layer of defense. This mod is only a problem if you hve HIGH COOL and you want to use thermal grenades for your CC for the burn effect, and then the Skin mod that makes you immune to burning but gives you increased damage while youre on fire. IF youre going to be grenade heavy, the perk SHRAPNEL should be considered.

Bladerunner
Increased damage to robots, good for obvious reason. Robots explode, aim for the head.

COOL TREE
Assassin
15% increase damage to humans - the majority of enemies are humans. Anymore questions?

Strike from shadows:
Increased crit change while sneaking - only good if youre doing a heavy stealth build.

Ninjitsu
Allows melee weapon to deal 100% more damage and crit from stealth. - here is how melee stealth works, as long as you kill the target you will not be detected. Without this perk, you need a juiced up katana and a lucky crit to kill your target outright on very hard. If they survive at all you will be in combat.

hasted retreat
movement speed increased by 50% when detected, pairs well with the time slow.

From the shadows
On entering combat, crit chance is increased by 25% for 7 seconds. pair this with the sandevistan cyberdeck, and everything should be dead before this cooldown is up.

IF YOURE DOING A POISON BUILD (chemical katana)
Hasten the inievitble:
20% more damage to enemies affected by poison.

Rattlesnake:
Poisoned enemies are slowed

Aggrieve anti toxin
Grants immunity to poison, allows you to use poison grenades for CC and let you stand in the cloud. debatable if necessary as a cybermod does this if you have the points.

Neurotoxin:
damage from poison is doubled.

I dont find cold blood to be appealing, if i was to invest in it id focus on armor and crit but i honestly think its a trap unless you take Cold and calculating. Its usless in 1 on 1 fights because you have nothing to kill.

Finally, LEVEL UP ALL YOUR SKILL TREES. You need the perk points to put into your melee.

melee is hard, and rewarding, and way more complex than shooting.

Last edited:
I am max level and pretty far in the main story, think I have shot a firearm outside of scripted events maybe 7 times?

Pretty much just used the Black unicorn and upgraded it as I went until I got my hands on a legendary katana with 481 base damage, in addition to Mantis Blades. I play on Hard.
Post automatically merged:

Attachments

• cyber.jpg
    cyber.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 71
Bought the first rare Katana from the 1st merch and haven't used anything else ever since when things got dicey. Already up to 250 DPS. Love the Katana.

Once you get Mantis Blades...you will enjoy Blade combat, trust me 😀

What if you don't want mantis blades?
Post automatically merged:

When you get a killing blow with a melee weapon it executes every now and then.
Look at the level 20 stealth skill ninjitsu.

Why would you do that when you can just press a button to kill?
There should the same with other weapons, like in every other game with stealth out there...

Last edited:
I've found great success using high-base damage long-bladed weapons. I run in, charge a heavy attack, then dash at them and release. Usually during the few seconds of slow time granted by my cyberware, i can kill 2 or 3 baddies. If you build for it, even with a 500dps green machete, you can easily have 15k+ headshots on power attacks.

I just crafted an amazing spec black unicorn, though, so I'm going to see how that works. 1200+ physical dps with 5 attacks per second. Only epic -- i can't wait to craft legendary!

Spec is dex 20, body 9, rest into craft currently.

Definitely not, melee combat is pretty easy in this game most of the time. The AI often has no idea how to hit you when you're close to them. Enemies like netrunners or mechs with laser are also much eaier to take down if you're close. Add double jump and some other agility perks to that and you can avoid most hits while slashing everyone

If a player takes their time with the 3 available Watson Districts in Act 1, the legendary Katana becomes available from Coach Fred at ~15 Street Cred and 34.100 eurodollars.

It's so OP that I didn't even care that I missed picking up Satoshi.

Is it just me or are some weapons OP? I crafted an SMG and mods and the dam is over 1300 on a SMART GUN! Also, my armour mods are OP too with a rating over 2500.

Attachments

• Screenshot (406).png
    Screenshot (406).png
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
Is it just me or are some weapons OP? I crafted an SMG and mods and the dam is over 1300 on a SMART GUN! Also, my armour mods are OP too with a rating over 2500.
Second thread with same message from you, De ja vu.
I'm using Tech revolver Burya. In my opinion best revolver in game. 4 shots, 0,78 shot per second, crafted epic with almost 1k dps on 32 lvl, 70+ crit chance, +140 crit value. Whats more Burya has a "sibling", don't remember name but its a one shot revolver with same stats but explodes upon hit. Generally it all goes down in case of guns to powerful slow shooters. But its just an AI experience. Vs other players probably it would look completely different

Second thread with same message from you, De ja vu.
I'm using Tech revolver Burya. In my opinion best revolver in game. 4 shots, 0,78 shot per second, crafted epic with almost 1k dps on 32 lvl, 70+ crit chance, +140 crit value. Whats more Burya has a "sibling", don't remember name but its a one shot revolver with same stats but explodes upon hit. Generally it all goes down in case of guns to powerful slow shooters. But its just an AI experience. Vs other players probably it would look completely different
because I needed to post a broken mission but had to comment 10 times first lol ... sorry bout that

Melee is viable 100%.

You can go through the entire game with katanas, monowire, mantis, gorilla, etc. Just takes a bit longer for those builds to come together.

Melee is viable 100%.

You can go through the entire game with katanas, monowire, mantis, gorilla, etc. Just takes a bit longer for those builds to come together.

But I'm still seeking the fun out of it, I run to things and slash (when one of the first things I made when going on this forum years ago was giving idea of moves to makes it fun).

But I'm still seeking the fun out of it, I run to things and slash (when one of the first things I made when going on this forum years ago was giving idea of moves to makes it fun).
There you might run into some issues. Melee isn't bad, fun-wise, but I just don't think it's mechanically strong enough to engage you for a 20-70hr playthrough. For me it's awesome to have to option to pull out my monowire and slap people around for a while, but I couldn't see myself trying to do that exclusively, especially since it's not a garrotte wire or a hacking tool.

All weapons types are perfectly viable on all difficulties if you put some effort to build for them, and use the proper chrome. This discussion is pointless, combat isn't hard to the point that you have to min-max

melee if op and easier because dumb ai does not not what to do and before they can react a katana user hacks them down.

Top Bottom